Ontolog Forum

Revision as of 07:35, 9 January 2016 by imported>KennethBaclawski (Fix PurpleMediaWiki references)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2012_04_03

This is a regular OOR Team meeting. ... please refer also to proceedings from the last team meeting at OOR/ConferenceCall_2012_03_13

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Tuesday, 3-Apr-2012
  • Start Time: 8:30am PDT / 11:30am EDT / 5:30pm CEST / 4:30pm GMT / 15:30 UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0~1.5 hours
  • Dial-in:
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 (long distance cost may apply)
      • ... [ backup nbr: (415) 671-4335 ]
    • Skype: joinconference ... free-of-charge if you connect through skype from your computer/device with an Internet connection)
    • when prompted enter PIN: 141184#
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please point your browser directly to the [ slides] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.
  • RSVP to appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)

  • postmortem of the last couple of workshops (Architecture-API-XI & Ontohub)
  • OOR: sandbox, devbox, test-instance, socop, colore, new ncbo-appliance, ... status update
  • previous action item status review
  • planning and coordination on upcoming OOR events
  • OOR presence at the OntologySummit2012_Symposium
  • Member activities updates
  • action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies)
  • Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box
  • ...

Agenda & Proceedings


1. Meeting called to order:

2. Roll Call:

  • welcome and intro of new member(s) (if applicable)

3. Status Review and Discussion:

4. Key items for review and discussion today

  • previous action item status review
    • [action-2012.03.13] Michael will try to get Mike Bennett to upload his ontology to OOR
    • [action-2012.03.13] Peter trying to get ORNL-DACC and MMI to become part of the federation and run with a cname
    • [action-2012.03.13] Mike Dean will talk to the SOCoP people about doing a demo at the symposium - ref. Michael's call -
    • [action-2012.03.13] Ken will continue to work on implementing "gatekeeping" (and get back with an ETA) so we can move from "sandbox" to "production"

... Notes below are from previous meeting(s), and will be updated as this meeting progresses.

in many of the summit presentations to date is infrastructure. OOR being part of said infrastructure (as will be represented in the communique) will be included.

Member activities updates: ... (discussion deferred)

  • Review: members and OOR-related activities (2012.02.07)
    • OOR-sandbox status
    • code repository status
    • NCBO
    • NEU
    • Raytheon-BBN
    • UToronto
    • Bremen
    • Ryerson
    • Mathet
    • DataONE
    • NeOn (KMi and STL)
    • ONKI
    • KBSI
    • MMI
    • Use Cases
    • Architecture
    • API
    • Gatekeeping
    • production OOR instance
    • SIO
    • ICOM / DERI
    • OntoIOp
    • Ontology Summit 2012
    • content drive
    • Funding
  • action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies)
  • Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box
    • (discussion 2011.05.06):
      • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all
    • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively
      • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?
    • (discussion 2011.06.03) ...
  • code development on an Eclipse IDE for all?
  • Code repository - considering "git" or github?

5. Funding progress:

6. Any Other Business:

7. Action items:

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Call adjourned at: 9:04 am PDT


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2012.04.03-9:06am PDT

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.


  • the OOR-IPR mini-series:
    • 2010_09_09 - Thursday: Joint OOR-Ontolog-NCBO-CC-IAOA-OASIS Panel Discussion - "IPR issues in Ontology and the OOR" session-1: an exposition on relevant IPR regimes - Keynote speaker: George Strawn - Chair: Peter P. Yim - Panelists: JamieClark, John Wilbanks, Bruce Perens - ConferenceCall_2010_09_09
    • 2010_09_16 - Thursday: Joint OOR-Ontolog-NCBO-CC-IAOA-OASIS Panel Discussion - "IPR issues in Ontology and the OOR" session-2: what are the IPR issues relating to open ontology repositories (and ontologies in general)? - Chair: Mark Musen - Panelists: Cameron Ross, Alan Rector, John F. Sowa, Bruce Perens, John Wilbanks, Peter P. Yim - ConferenceCall_2010_09_16
    • 2010_09_30 - Thursday: Joint OOR-Ontolog-NCBO-CC-IAOA-OASIS Panel Discussion - "IPR issues in Ontology and the OOR" session-3: discussion and consensus on licensing arrangements for the OOR Initiative, and positions we might take on related IPR issues - chair: Leo Obrst - Panelists: Peter P. Yim, Mike Dean, Bruce Perens, JamieClark - ConferenceCall_2010_09_30
  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:
    • 2011_10_20 - Thursday: Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series session-1: Introducing the ISO NP 17347 "Ontology Integration and Interoperability (OntoIOp)" Standardization Effort - Co-chairs: John Bateman & Michael Grüninger - ConferenceCall_2011_10_20
    • 2011_11_03 - Thursday: Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series session-2: Invited Speaker: Elisa Kendall on "Ontology-Related Metadata Standards" - Co-chairs: Michael Grüninger & John Bateman - ConferenceCall_2011_11_03