From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Project Team Member (regular planning & admin) Conference Call - Tue 2014_07_15     (1)

This is a regular OOR Team meeting. We will pick up from where we left off before Ontology Summit 2014 (i.e. our last monthly OOR team planning & admin call on 2013_12_03 and the OOR Development Workshop on 2013_12_10 that followed).     (1A)

  • Dial-in:     (1D4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1D4A)
    • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1D4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (1D4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1D4B2)
        • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (1D4B2A)
        • you may connect to the user:"join.conference" even if the skype GUI shows that this user is offline!     (1D4B2B)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1D4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1D4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1D4B3B)
      • if you are using skype and the connection to "join.conference" is not holding up, try using (your favorite POTS or VoIP line, etc.) either your phone, skype-out or google-voice and call the US dial-in number: +1 (425) 440-5100 ... when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (1D4B4)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1D5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1D5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1D5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1D5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1D5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1D6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1D6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20140715@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1D6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/ ... view-only password: "ontolog"     (1D7)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1D7A)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides above] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1D7B)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1D9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1D11)

Attendees     (1E)

Agenda Ideas     (1E4)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1F)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1F4)

2. Roll Call:     (1F9)

  • welcome and intro of new member(s) (if applicable) - n/a     (1F11)

3. Key discussion:     (1F12)

... some of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses.     (1F13)

Ref: our list of "Priorities & Most Critical Tasks At Hand" - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository#nid17YH     (1F14)

3.1 Review OOR priorities, focus and strategy ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F15)

  • there is general consensus we would change to a more bottom-up approach (rather than the "top-down" approach we have been taking) ...        (1F16)
    • we will encourage each oor node project to develop (colore, ontohub, socop, oor public instance, etc.) on their own, and coordinate the "team" effort through the use of a shared set of metadata, API and the UI (e.g. how people download (or even upload) ontologies, etc.)     (1F16A)
    • The key is to ensure that each of the ontology repository projects in OOR are interoperable from the software perspective, uniform in the GUI, and they use a shared approach to ontology metadata     (1F16B)
    • initially (prior to federation mechanisms being in place) we will make <oor.net> to be an ontology registry, which then links to the ontologies in the actual ontology repository where the ontology is described     (1F16C)
    • actions will be focused on developing three things (hopefully within the next 3 months): the set of metadata, the API, and some shared thoughts on the UI     (1F16D)
    • after that, we will focus on building up content with each OOR node tackling the domain(s) they are best with, and put in a concerted effort towards OOR adoption     (1F16E)

3.2 Follow-ups relating to PeterYim's retirement     (1F18)

PeterYim: as most of you already know, I have retired. This is likely my last "regular" meeting with this team. I would like to thank everyone for having given me the opportunity to work with you all. It's been a real honor!     (1F19)

3.3 Taking inventory of Ontology Repository instances that are in the OOR network     (1F26)

3.4 scheduling of OOR Events'     (1F30)

3.5 Member activities updates - Review: members and OOR-related activities (list from 2013.05.21) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F32)

4. (some) Prior Discussions:     (1F57)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months     (1F58)

... to provide synergies for all.     (1F60)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like     (1F61)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F62)

  • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1F63)
    • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1F63A)
  • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1F64)
    • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1F64A)
  • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1F65)
    • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1F65A)
      • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1F65A1)
      • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1F65A2)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F69)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1F69A)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1G)

see raw transcript here.     (1G1)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1G2)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1G3)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1G4)


Chat transcript from room: oor_20140715     (1G5)

2014-07-15 GMT-08:00 [PDT]     (1G6)


[6:59] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1G7)

OpenOntologyRepository: Project Team Member Conference Call - Tue 2014_07_15     (1G8)

  • Taking inventory of Ontology Repository instances that are in the OOR network (4E3T)     (1G15)

ATTENDEES     (1G19)

Proceedings     (1G22)

[7:06] Peter P. Yim: == Mike Dean and Peter P. Yim starts the meeting ...     (1G23)

[7:06] Peter P. Yim: we will try to finish the meeting in an hour if we can (since both Michael and Leo need to leave in an hour)     (1G24)

[7:08] Peter P. Yim: === Brainstorm: Future of the OOR Project     (1G26)

[7:08] Peter P. Yim: ==== exploring a closer-coupled working relationship between IAOA and OOR     (1G27)

[7:09] Todd Schneider: Is IAOA interested in running an ontology repository?     (1G28)

[7:11] Michael Grüninger: The (currently empty) page for the IAOA Ontology Registries and Repositories     (1G29)

[7:13] Michael Grüninger: Technical Committees (TCs) and Special Interest Groups (SIGs) in IAOA differ only     (1G31)

in scope (where the latter has a broader scope)     (1G32)

[7:15] Peter P. Yim: if OOR gets "absorbed into" the IAOA Ontology Repository TC, would OOR team members need     (1G33)

to be IAOA members?     (1G34)

[7:17] Leo Obrst: IAOA has an exception in the IAOA-SWAO-SIG, in that SIG members do not necessarily have     (1G35)

to be IAOA members for participation contribution (but will need to become an IAOA member for voting rights     (1G36)

and IAOA membership benefits)     (1G37)

[7:17] Todd Schneider: Would the IAOA Ontology Registries and Repositories Technical Committee absorb all     (1G38)

of the past work of OOR?     (1G39)

[7:19] Michael Grüninger: The IAOA TC was intended to be a support forum for people to find access to any of     (1G40)

the ontology repositories that exist. Ideally, IAOA would like to coordinate the activities of ontology repositories     (1G41)

[7:20] Mike Dean: Umbrella and infrastructure are attractive, but OOR seems much more mature organizationally.     (1G42)

OOR also has an established brand.     (1G43)

[7:20] Leo Obrst: there is no charter yet for that TC     (1G44)

[7:22] Todd Schneider: But if IAOA's 'mission' is to promote the use of ontology, should it not provide a     (1G45)

source of ontologies?     (1G46)

[7:24] Mike Dean: OOR focused on software environment as well as content.     (1G47)

[7:26] Leo Obrst: OOR could become a project under that TC     (1G48)

[7:31] Todd Schneider: To Support "... the development of collaborations between research and industry"     (1G49)

shouldn't IAOA be providing a test bed or an evolving reference implementation?     (1G50)

[7:33] Todd Schneider: There are 'standards' and then there are defacto standards. I wouldn't think it outside     (1G51)

the scope of IAOA to support the latter.     (1G52)

[7:35] Todd Schneider: Can't IAOA afford commercial web hosting?     (1G53)

[7:37] Michael Grüninger: @ToddSchneider[7:35] There are many hosting options possible, and we are still     (1G54)

sorting out the new configuration     (1G55)

[7:36] Leo Obrst: OOR could also remain under new Ontolog     (1G56)

[7:37] Mike Dean: . as platform host     (1G57)

[7:39] Todd Schneider: Who would take over all of the OOR artifacts?     (1G58)

[7:44] Todd Schneider: What are the organizational options under IAOA?     (1G59)

[7:47] Michael Grüninger: @ToddSchneider: What do you mean by "organizational options"?     (1G60)

[7:48] Leo Obrst: potentially some OOR funding from IAOA     (1G61)

[7:50] Peter P. Yim: "IAOA-TC" and "OOR Initiative" relationship possibilities: "identity," "subsumption," "affiliation," "hosting," ...     (1G62)

[7:51] Peter P. Yim: ref. OOR's repository network members: http://oor.net/index1.html     (1G63)

[7:54] Till Mossakowski: Socop will be hosted by Ontohub, see https://ontohub.org/socop     (1G64)

[7:54] Mike Dean: [action-PeterYim] Peter to redirect socop.oor.net to OntoHub SOCoP repository, which will     (1G65)

now become primary     (1G66)

[7:54] Till Mossakowski: Peter will change the URL redirection     (1G67)

[8:00] Mike Dean: Peter willing to allow us to continue to use oor.net indefinitely     (1G68)

[8:01] Todd Schneider: Peter, what about the OOR wiki page and all the meeting artifacts?     (1G69)

[8:01] Peter P. Yim: exisiting Ontolog Wiki (now at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki ) will become a "read only" archive,     (1G70)

all content will migrate to the OntologPSMW (now at: http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki ) ... KenBaclawski-NEU     (1G71)

and TillMossakowski-Magdeburg are likely going to host that (still working out the details) ... ongoing OOR     (1G72)

work could probably continue there     (1G73)

[8:01] Mike Dean: If email lists change, they should probably become XXX@oor.net, redirecting to whatever     (1G74)

infrastructure is used.     (1G75)

[8:01] Peter P. Yim: ^subject to permission by the new hosting party, presumably     (1G76)

[8:09] Peter P. Yim: [action-PeterYim-TillMossakowski] will move the following lists: [oor-forum], [oor-dev] and     (1G78)

[oor-users] from cim3.net to uni-magdeburg.de (along with the 18 IAOA lists)     (1G79)

[8:20] Peter P. Yim: Nancy Wiegand and Dalia Varanka are also in the meeting (have logged in a while back already; Nancy since ~7:30)     (1G80)

[8:11] Peter P. Yim: === 3.3 Taking inventory of Ontology Repository instances that are in the OOR network     (1G81)

adding/changing:     (1G83)

- to be re-directed to Ontohub as discussed above, ref. TillMossakowski-PeterYim-MikeDean [7:54]     (1G85)

  • SIGMA (SUMO, MILO, ...) - still on CIM3.NET now, but will likely be migrated to AWS by mid-August 2014     (1G86)

removing: (4E51)     (1G88)

  • ORNL-DAAC? ... being removed because this is no longer "open" (or openly accessible)     (1G89)
  • OOR-dev ... Peter: will be taken offline after this meeting     (1G90)
  • OOR-test ... Peter: will be taken offline after this meeting     (1G91)
  • OOR-sandbox ... Peter: will be taken offline in August, unless someone takes over the hosting of this [KenBaclawski?]     (1G92)

[8:15] Till Mossakowski: sorry, I have to go     (1G93)

[8:18] Peter P. Yim: [action-NancyWiegand] will work with PeterFox (or Line Pouchard & PeterFox) to try to get the     (1G94)

ESIP-Portal as part the federated OOR repository nodes (instances) - as in http://oor.net/index1.html     (1G95)

- agreeing to be a node, supporting the OOR vision and mission, and permitting the ESIP-Portal to be     (1G96)

addressed as <esip.oor.net> (or something similar)     (1G97)

[8:20] Michael Grüninger: (was away for about 15 minutes) ok i'm back ...     (1G98)

[8:25] Peter P. Yim: [action-MichaelGruninger] will draft something tangible regarding the IAOA-OOR working     (1G99)

relationship for review, discussion and decision at the next admin and planning meeting (7/29?).     (1G100)

[8:25] Todd Schneider: we need Ken Baclawski to be at that meeting too.     (1G101)

[8:27] Peter P. Yim: next meeting: Tue 2014.07.22 (same time) - chair: Till Mossakowski - topic: "Ontohub API"Tue 2014.07.22 (same time) - chair: Till Mossakowski - topic: "Ontohub API" to be presented by Tim Reddehase (from the OntoHub team)     (1G102)

[8:27] Michael Grüninger: I will potentially co-chair the July 29 session with Ken. The intended outcome of     (1G103)

this meeting will be an explicit statement of the relationships between OOR and IAOA     (1G104)

[8:28] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 8:28am PDT --     (1G105)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1G106)

6. Action items:     (1G107)

7. Any Other Business:     (1G109)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1G111)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2014.07.15-12:33pm PDT     (1G115)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1G116)


Resources     (1H)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1H18)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1H27)