From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Development Workshop-V - Tue 2011_11_08     (1)

This is our "Getting OOR Development Going - Take V" workshop which we will devote to the topic of how best to getting real OOR-related open source software development work going ...     (1A)

Topic: "Getting OOR Development Going, on Eclipse?"     (1B)

Session Chair: MikeDean     (1C)

* * * Please pay special attention to the time of this event, as both the US and Europe are back to Standard Time (winter time) already! * * *     (1D)

* * * Please also note that we are calling into a new conference bridge starting from this session, note the new dial-in information! * * *     (1E)

  • Dial-in:     (1F4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 (long distance cost will apply) ... [ backup nbr: (415) 671-4335 ]     (1F4A)
    • Skype: joinconference ... (free-of-charge if you connect through skype from your computer/device with an Internet connection)     (1F4B)
    • when prompted enter PIN: 141184#     (1F4C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1F6)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1F6A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1F6B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides above] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1F6C)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1F7A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1F7B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20111108@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1F7C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1F8)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1F8A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1F8B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1F8C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1F8D)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community.)     (1F9)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1F11)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1F13)

Attendees     (1H)

  • Expecting:     (1H2)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1H3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1I)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1I1)

  • identifying issues that are holding back the OOR-oss-dev work     (1I2)
  • Is a common IDE good for us? Is Eclipse an optimal answer?     (1I3)
  • Task distribution and getting organized     (1I4)
  • Action planning (with consensus milestones)     (1I5)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1J)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1J4)

2. Roll Call:     (1J8)

3. Status Review and Discussion:     (1J11)

4. Key items for review and discussion today     (1J13)

Topic: "Getting OOR Development Going (V), on Eclipse?"     (1J13A)

  • identifying issues that are holding back the OOR-oss-dev work     (1J13B)

and there is really nothing special to talk about. The only thing that Paul mentioned is to enable the "WebTools" package. This comes standard with the J2EE version of Eclipse. It can be enabled in the UI in the "Servers" view. This tool allows you to start and stop tomcat easily and to set breakpoints in your code. Probably any Eclipse user already knows about it."     (1J13D)

--- Chat transcript begin ---     (1J13H)

[08:31] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1J13I)

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Development Workshop-V - Tue 2011_11_08     (1J13J)

Topic: "Getting OOR Development Going, on Eclipse?"     (1J13K)

Session Chair: Mike Dean     (1J13L)

When everyone is muted: To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6"     (1J13N)

Proceedings:     (1K)

[08:40] Eric S. Chan: dual track, bioportal release and OOR branch     (1K1)

[08:41] Eric S. Chan: subversion repository for OOR     (1K2)

[08:43] Todd Schneider: Mike, how decouple the indexing from the language representation?     (1K3)

[08:58] Eric S. Chan: the infrastructure will manage content and metadata     (1K4)

[08:59] Eric S. Chan: content may be persisted in some CMS with version control support     (1K5)

[08:59] Eric S. Chan: metadata may be triple store and Lucene indices     (1K6)

[09:03] Eric S. Chan: persistent layer is pluggable (a language module may provide a persistence mechanism)     (1K7)

[09:11] Mike Dean: OOR should allow for ontologies containing components in different languages     (1K8)

(e.g. OWL and RIF or OWL and Common Logic, like OWL Time). This also relates to views and modules.     (1K9)

[09:16] Mike Dean: It might be interesting to provide at least a SPARQL endpoint for Jackrabbit.     (1K10)

This could make a good student project.     (1K11)

[09:17] Eric S. Chan: bioportal provides background processing for validation (theorem proving),     (1K12)

OOR may define these processes as SOA services     (1K13)

[09:28] Eric S. Chan: E:\jaxb-ri-20110115\bin\xjc.bat schema-obh-xjc.xsd schema-obr.xsd -extension     (1K14)

[09:37] Mike Dean: It would help bootstrap development to create an OOR Developer Tools page with     (1K15)

links to JAXRS specifications, tools to generate client bindings, and (soon) results of     (1K16)

generating those bindings.     (1K17)

[09:59] Todd Schneider: Have to go. Cheers.     (1K21)

[10:11] Peter P. Yim: very productive meeting ... Thanks, everyone!     (1K22)

[10:11] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 10:10am PST --     (1K23)

--- Chat transcript end ---     (1K24)

  • Task distribution and Getting organized ... (discussion deferred to the next session)     (1K25)
  • Action planning with consensus milestones ... (discussion deferred to the next session)     (1K26)

5. Getting Organized:     (1K27)

6. Action items:     (1K29)

  • Mike Dean will look through the current BioPortal project to see what they are using; which will eventually get us to a reference developer platform for OOR developers     (1K31)
  • Develop a "guideline on how to develop a language module" and the API for language module developers to plug into [suggested by Eric - Ken & Todd to work on]     (1K32)

7. Any Other Business:     (1K33)

  • The Joint NCBO-OOR session: OOR-Architecture-API IX - "NCBO-OOR architectural considerations and synergies" + "creating BioPortal Tabs" is now scheduled for Tue 2011.11.29; same time     (1K34)
    • input from Ray Fergerson & Paul Alexander (NCBO): "We also agree that it would be best, rather than scheduling a meeting now, that developers just install the "hello world" tab and get it up and     (1K34A)

going. This is likely to lead to both narrow and broad questions. The narrow ones Paul can handle in email and the broad ones may require either a phone call or additional example code. We would rather this be a pull system, where developers request information just in time, rather than a push one where we try to push information out in the hopes that it will be useful."     (1K35)

  • Mike Dean: an emerging developer team may come up to do work for SOCoP, with student from UWM, James Madison U & U of Maryland College Park     (1K37)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1K38)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.11.08-10:10am PST     (1K42)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1K43)


Resources     (1L)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1L15)