From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-V - Fri 2011_05_20     (1)

Topic: "OOR Architecture & API Specification Development Workshop-V"     (1A)

  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1C6)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1C8)

Attendees     (1E)

Agenda Ideas     (1F)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1F1)

Abstract     (1G)

As a result of the two OOR Architecture and API panel sessions, we have seen a large number of architectures and APIs for ontology repositories. We have had requirements for the OOR, at least in broad outline form, since the Ontology Summit 2008. We have been running an OOR sandbox based on BioPortal. Most recently, we have forked from the BioPortal code base with the intention of proceeding separately with the development of a reference implementation.     (1G1)

The various architectures and APIs for ontology repositories are available at OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture     (1G2)

At this series of meetings, we are going through the process of producing the actual OOR specification. It will be run as a workshop where the straw man proposal will be discussed and modified as needed.     (1G3)

In addition, there is an API of the core services that was obtained from BioPortal, which is not entirely compatible with the straw man architecture, but furnishes a starting point. This API will also be discussed and modified as needed.     (1G5)

Finally, we need to agree on a plan for completing the development of the specification.     (1G8)

We encourage all participants to update your candidate contributions to ensure your ideas are known and understood.     (1G10)

The following are relevant prior meetings:     (1G11)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1H)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1H1)

2. Roll Call & Adoption of last meeting's minutes:     (1H5)

  • Announcements:     (1H8)
    • OOR Logo candidates - first round polling results:     (1H8A)
      • 13 participants entered 35 votes all together, and candidates "Hashemi-4" and "Hashemi-c" were selected as finalists, each with 6 votes (behind that, were "Milov-1 with 4, and "Ding-1" and "Hashemi-a" with 3 votes each.)     (1H8A1)
      • Peter will post results to the [oor-forum] list, the community has one week to make suggestions to the candidate logo designer (AliHashemi in this case) so he can prepare the finalists designs for the final selection     (1H8A2)
    • Mike Dean: BioPortal v3.0 released yesterday - ref.     (1H8B)
    • Peter P. Yim: webProtege beta was also release a few days ago, which allows ontologies on BioPortal to be edited through webProtege - ref.     (1H8C)

3. Key items for review and discussion today:     (1H9)

3.0) Adopting (formally) the work from the last workshop, modulo any discussion/modifications entered on the wiki page.     (1H13)

3.1) Resolve / Finalize the first method proposed     (1H14)

... items below are mostly from the previous workshop, and will be updated as this session progresses.     (1H17)

3.2) Starting with the Registrar, as identified in your use cases, specify the functions to support that role starting with the use cases. Thereafter, move on to Accreditor, Steward, Process Manager, and Submitter. ... For each of the roles we also have to keep in mind any coupling to representation languages (relative to the actions taken).     (1H18)

3.3) Discussed today (2011.05.20)     (1H19)

  • we should organize a workshop between the BioPortal team and the OOR team to learn about their latest progress and see how our work could be complementary and synergistic -- Ken will make the invitation     (1H20)
  • the current BioPortal UI is "uniform" in the sense that everyone has access to every screen. Since OOR users will have different roles, we will adopt a "role-based" UI     (1H21)
  • on MichaelGruninger's suggestion, we should invite Elisa Kendall or Evan Wallace to come give us a talk on ISO 19763 -- Michael will make the invitation     (1H23)
    • plan is to feature it as part of a IAOA-OOR-Ontolog joint event (series)     (1H23A)
    • a Thursday+Friday combo - Overview + Drill-down (Michael will try for Jun 9 & 10)     (1H23B)

Consensus, Conclusions & Follow-up Actions:     (1H24)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1H26)

OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-V - Fri 2011_05_20     (1H28)

anonymous2 morphed into Michael Grüninger     (1H31)

anonymous morphed into Mike Dean     (1H32)

Ken Baclawski: The current UI is "uniform" in the sense that everyone has access to every screen. Since OOR users     (1H33)

will have different roles, would it make sense to change this design?     (1H34)

Ken Baclawski: Should security rules and gatekeeping rules be done together? This integrates the workflow with security.     (1H35)

Todd Schneider: Depends on what gatekeeping means?     (1H36)

Todd Schneider: Gatekeeping - The Gatekeeping component shall be responsible for enforcing role based behaviors which     (1H37)

include access control; Behaviors will be represented as rules     (1H38)

Peter P. Yim: ref. "Quality and Gatekeeping" on the OntologySummmit2008_Communique     (1H39)

Michael Grüninger: There is some ambiguity in the terms within the architecture (such as Gatekeeping and Administration).     (1H41)

For each of these terms we should explicitly specify the functionalities that correspond to the component within the architecture.     (1H42)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1H43)

4. Any Other Business:     (1H44)

5. Action items:     (1H45)

6. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1H46)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.05.27-7:18am PDT     (1H50)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1H51)


Resources     (1I)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1I15)