From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: "Revisiting the OOR Strategy and Tactics - II" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_06_18     (1)

Session Topic: OOR Strategy-IV: "Revisiting the OOR Strategy and Tactics - II" Discussion     (1A)

Session Chair: PeterYim     (1B)

This is a continuation of the "Revisiting the OOR Strategy & Tactics - I" session - ref.: OOR/ConferenceCall_2013_05_28     (1C)

  • Dial-in:     (1D4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1D4A)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1D4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1D4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1D4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1D4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1D4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1D4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1D4B3B)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1D5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1D5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1D5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1D5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1D5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1D6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1D6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20130618@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1D6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1D7)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1D7A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1D7B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1D7C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1D9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1D11)

Attendees     (1E)

  • Expecting:     (1E2)
    • (please add yourself to the list above if you are a member of the community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with the event title/date and your name and affiliation)     (1E3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1E5)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1F)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1F6)

2. Roll Call:     (1F11)

3. Key discussion:     (1F14)

From the last (part-I) session ... please take a moment to review what has transpired (mainly for 3.1) - see: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2013_05_28#nid3TFH     (1F15)

  • 3.1 Get everyone's top "SWOT" insights (with a twist) for OOR     (1F16)
    • "Strength": one (or two) top "value" you are gaining that makes you think the time you put into OOR is worth it     (1F16A)
    • "Weakness": if you had thought of quitting from OOR, what would have been the key reason(s)     (1F16B)
    • "Opportunity": given what we have now, what is the one (or two) thing we can do that would allow OOR to make a huge (at least meaningful) impact     (1F16C)
    • "Threat": if OOR would cease to be around in 1~5 years, what do you think would have been the most major cause?     (1F16D)

most of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses ...     (1F19)

4. Prior Discussions:     (1F22)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months     (1F23)

... to provide synergies for all.     (1F25)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like     (1F26)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F27)

  • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1F28)
    • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1F28A)
  • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1F29)
    • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1F29A)
  • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1F30)
    • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1F30A)
      • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1F30A1)
      • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1F30A2)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F34)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1F34A)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1G)

see raw transcript here.     (1G1)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1G2)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1G3)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1G4)


Chat transcript from room: oor_20130618     (1G5)

2013-06-18 GMT-08:00 [PDT]     (1G6)


[8:26] Peter P. Yim: welcome to the     (1G7)

OpenOntologyRepository: "Revisiting the OOR Strategy and Tactics - II" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_06_18     (1G8)

Proceedings:     (1G11)

[8:30] Peter P. Yim: Hi Michael!     (1G12)

[8:30] Michael Grüninger: just connecting now ...     (1G13)

[8:30] Peter P. Yim: take your time     (1G14)

[8:37] Peter P. Yim: Hi Bob, Hi Till ...     (1G15)

[8:39] Bob Smith: (ref. casual discussion, that our focus today is on "what needs to change, in the     (1G16)

way we are proceeding with the OOR initiative") Peter - I appologize for not having an anwswer - BUT     (1G17)

do you have a "Business Case" for the "OOR - Go To Place for Ontology"?     (1G18)

[8:41] Bob Smith: NIST, Building & Fire under Mark Palmer, delivered 3 reports on the need for     (1G19)

interoperability (i.e. Ontology) in the Capital Building Industry...as part of a Business Case     (1G20)

motivation     (1G21)

[8:40] Peter P. Yim: == Session starts ...     (1G22)

[8:41] Peter P. Yim: let's start at:     (1G25)

[8:42] Peter P. Yim: (for the next 3 minutes) please read through where we got ourselves to, in last     (1G27)

session's SWOT analysis:     (1G28)

[8:50] Peter P. Yim: == In the next few minutes, let's try to answer (please type in your view on: What     (1G30)

should we "change" and "not change" in the way the OOR initiative is being approached ...     (1G31)

[8:51] Todd Schneider: Are we addressing the correct problem (for the current time frame)?     (1G32)

[8:51] Bob Smith: No business case?     (1G33)

[8:52] Peter P. Yim: I think we should fundamentally change our approach ... and strive towards getting     (1G34)

a formidable Ontology Repository in place first before trying to tackle the more challenging     (1G35)

problems (like research problems) ... and, by "formidable" I mean the repository would actually hold     (1G36)

a lot (if not "most") of the ontologies people are looking for     (1G37)

[8:51] Michael Grüninger: I will reiterate my earlier point -- we should move to a bottom-up strategy     (1G38)

in which we address the OOR issues in the currently active projects (OntoHub, COLORE, ...), and then     (1G39)

come together to identify how we can best coordinate work, share ideas, and reuse implementations     (1G40)

[8:54] Till Mossakowski: I agree with Michael that after a more "top-down" approach we now should     (1G41)

become more "bottom-up"     (1G42)

[8:55] Bob Smith: Consider a group of 5-6 teams writing a standard and some believe that an ontology     (1G43)

based standard was a good idea...an Ontology Committee is created to develop coherent taxonomy     (1G44)

around the term Building Life Cycle Phases. A rough Statement of Work is developed. HOW MIGHT a well     (1G45)

formed OOR support this initiative? Somewhat like an REI Outdoors store - a variety of kinds of     (1G46)

reusable components and a life cycle like road map (From the 2013 Communique?)     (1G47)

[9:05] Todd Schneider: One advantage BioPortal has is a single domain that actively embraces     (1G48)

ontology. Should we focus on a single domain? For instance geospatial?     (1G49)

[9:05] Till Mossakowski: We actually want to build SpacePortal.org, for spatial ontologies     (1G50)

[9:06] Michael Grüninger: The key is to ensure that each of the ontology repository projects in OOR     (1G51)

are interoperable from the software perspective, uniform in the GUI, and they use a shared approach     (1G52)

to ontology metadata     (1G53)

[9:08] Michael Grüninger: Peter's idea: make oor.net to be an ontology registry, which then links to     (1G54)

the ontologies in the actual ontology repository where the ontology is described     (1G55)

[9:13] Michael Grüninger: In COLORE, we use colore.oor.net as the root URI for the ontologies     (1G56)

[9:14] Till Mossakowski: discussion of Ontohub URI scheme:     (1G57)

[9:21] Till Mossakowski: we have several OOR related discussions at Ontohub.org. I will forward these     (1G60)

to the OOR mailing list     (1G61)

[9:21] Peter P. Yim: @Till - are you willing to go with ontonhub.oor.net in place of ontohub.org?     (1G62)

[9:22] Peter P. Yim: thanks, Till     (1G64)

[9:24] Till Mossakowski: paper about Ontohub architecture:     (1G65)

[9:25] Till Mossakowski: ^ontohub.oor.net     (1G67)

[9:35] Peter P. Yim: priority, should then be: metadata, API and gatekeeping     (1G68)

[9:43] Todd Schneider: Michael, as a design principle, avoid details until the last possible moment.     (1G69)

[9:47] Peter P. Yim: let's aim at getting these 3 top priorities addressed in the next 3 months     (1G70)

[9:48] Peter P. Yim: ... and then start addressing the content issue when these (metadata, API and     (1G71)

gatekeeping) are in place     (1G72)

[9:35] Till Mossakowski: sorry, have to leave now - I am already half an hour late for my next     (1G73)

meeting. Peter, Ken: could we let the OOR API session next week start at 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST ?     (1G74)

[9:53] Todd Schneider: Have to go. Cheers.     (1G75)

[9:54] Peter P. Yim: [consensus] regular OOR meeting is now shifted (1.5 hours earlier than before) -     (1G77)

confcall times will be on Tuesdays 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00 pm CEST / 1400 UTC     (1G78)

[9:56] Peter P. Yim: next meeting: "Ontohub-OOR-Gatekeeper API Hackathon" session - co-chairs:     (1G79)

Till Mossakowski & Ken Baclawski - Tue 2013.06.25 1.5~2.0 Hrs. starting 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00 pm     (1G80)

CEST / 1400 UTC     (1G81)

[9:56] Peter P. Yim: very productive session!     (1G82)

[9:57] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 9:54am PDT --     (1G83)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1G84)

6. Action items:     (1G85)

  • there is general consensus we would change to a more bottom-up approach (rather than the "top-down" approach we have been taking) ...     (1G86)
    • we will encourage each oor node project to develop (colore, ontohub, socop, oor public instance, etc.) on their own, and coordinate the "team" effort through the use of a shared set of metadata, API and the UI (e.g. how people download (or even upload) ontologies, etc.)     (1G86A)
    • The key is to ensure that each of the ontology repository projects in OOR are interoperable from the software perspective, uniform in the GUI, and they use a shared approach to ontology metadata     (1G86B)
    • initially (prior to federation mechanisms being in place) we will make <oor.net> to be an ontology registry, which then links to the ontologies in the actual ontology repository where the ontology is described     (1G86C)
    • actions will be focused on developing three things (hopefully within the next 3 months): the set of metadata, the API, and some shared thoughts on the UI     (1G86D)
    • after that, we will focus on building up content with each OOR node tackling the domain(s) they are best with, and put in a concerted effort towards OOR adoption     (1G86E)

7. Any Other Business:     (1G87)

  • decide if we want to take Aug-2013 off too (like the Ontolog community) ... (didn't get a chance to discuss this, will defer to the next meeting)     (1G88)
  • possibly discuss and coordinate regular meeting time-slot arrangements among members     (1G89)
    • confirmed we will move the meeting 1.5-Hrs earlier - regular call start-time (effective from the next meeting) will be: Tuesdays 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00 pm CEST / 1400 UTC     (1G89A)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1G90)

  • Next Meetings:     (1G91)
    • a consensus is reached to move our regular Tuesday OOR session earlier, by 1.5 hours; therefore regular call start-time (until further modified) will be: Tuesdays 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00 pm CEST / 1400 UTC     (1G91A)
    • next Meeting Tue 2013_06_25 - the "OOR-Ontohub-Gatekeeper API" Hackathon Session will now be on Tue 2013.06.25 - co-chairs: Till Mossakowski & Ken Baclawski - note: starting 1.5-Hrs earlier (see above)     (1G91B)
    • following that, we will have the OOR Metadata Workshop-VIII: "Metadata in Ontology Mapping" with FIBO as our use case - co-chairs: Michael Grüninger & Mike Bennett     (1G91C)
    • ... please mark your calendars and make sure you can come!     (1G91D)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.06.18-6:39pm PDT     (1G94)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1G95)


Resources     (1H)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1H17)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1H26)