From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-XI - Tue 2012_03_20     (1)

Attention! ... Please note start-time of the meeting, timing these couple of weeks is fairly tricky (especially for non-US participants) - as North America has gone into daylight saving time, Europe hasn't, and a lot of Asian countries don't do daylight saving at all!     (1A)

Topic: "OOR Architecture & API Specification Development Workshop-XI"     (1B)

Session Co-chairs: Professor Ken Baclawski & Dr. ToddSchneider     (1C)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1D5)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1D5A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1D5B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please point your browser directly to the [ presentation(s)] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1D5C)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1D6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1D6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20120320@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1D6C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1D7)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1D7A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1D7B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1D7C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1D7D)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1D9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1D11)

Attendees     (1F)

  • Expecting:     (1F2)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1F3A)

Session Abstract & Resources     (1F5)

At this "OOR Architecture & API" series of meetings, we are going through the process of producing the actual OOR specification. It will be run as a workshop where the straw man proposal will be discussed and modified as needed.     (1F5A)

The various architectures and APIs for ontology repositories presented for consideration are available at OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture     (1F5B)

Here is the status of the strawman architecture: OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture/Candidate03     (1F5C)

In addition, there is an API of the core services that was obtained from anearlier implementation BioPortal, which is not entirely compatible with the straw man architecture, but furnishes a starting point. This API will also be discussed and modified as needed.     (1F5D)

Finally, we need to agree on a plan for completing the development of the specification.     (1F5G)

We encourage all participants to update your candidate contributions to ensure your ideas are known and understood.     (1F5I)

The following are relevant prior meetings:     (1F5J)

Agenda Ideas     (1G)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1H)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1H4)

2. Roll Call & Adoption of last meeting's minutes:     (1H8)

3. Key items for review and discussion today:     (1H12)

... items below are mostly from the previous workshop, and will be updated as this session progresses.     (1H14)

  • Gatekeeping specifies the a set of minimal requirements that any ontology within the OOR has to meet. The latter are intended to enable the users of the OOR to find quickly ontologies that fit their needs; the criteria are not supposed to ensure the quality of the ontologies.     (1H17)

Consensus, Conclusions & Follow-up Actions:     (1H20)

  • Ken Baclawski: To deal with visualization of other ontology languages, there should be a visualization mapping mechanism (e.g., an automated way to extract the concepts and relationships from the ontology) that can use the existing visualization software or a visualization plugin capability that allows one to introduce an entirely new visualization.     (1H21)

4. Any Other Business:     (1H22)

5. Action items:     (1H23)

6. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1H24)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2012.03.20-11:47am PDT     (1H28)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1H29)


Resources     (1I)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1I14)
    • 2011_10_20 - Thursday: Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series session-1: Introducing the ISO NP 17347 "Ontology Integration and Interoperability (OntoIOp)" Standardization Effort - Co-chairs: John Bateman & Michael Grüninger - ConferenceCall_2011_10_20     (1I14A)
    • 2011_11_03 - Thursday: Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series session-2: Invited Speaker: Elisa Kendall on "Ontology-Related Metadata Standards" - Co-chairs: Michael Grüninger & John Bateman - ConferenceCall_2011_11_03     (1I14B)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1I21)