From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: "Revisiting the OOR Strategy and Tactics" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_05_28     (1)

Session Topic: OOR Strategy-III: "Revisiting the OOR Strategy and Tactics - I" Discussion     (1A)

Session Co-chairs: PeterYim & MikeDean     (1B)

This is a regular OOR Team meeting. The last time we did "OOR Strategy & Tactics" was in Nov-2012. Since it has been six months already, and so much has happened since, particularly the very successful Ontology Summit 2013 and the OntologySummit2013_Hackathon_Clinics activities which OOR members had a strong presence, it is high time we take a good look at the OOR Strategy & Tactics again. We will do some soul searching, as well as pick up from where we left off at OOR/ConferenceCall_2012_11_20.     (1C)

  • Dial-in:     (1D4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1D4A)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1D4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1D4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1D4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1D4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1D4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1D4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1D4B3B)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1D5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1D5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1D5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1D5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1D5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1D6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1D6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20130528@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1D6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1D7)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1D7A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1D7B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1D7C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1D9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1D11)

Attendees     (1E)

Agenda Ideas     (1E5)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1F)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1F5)

2. Roll Call:     (1F10)

3. Key discussion:     (1F13)

  • 3.1 Get everyone's top "SWOT" insights (with a twist) for OOR     (1F14)
    • "Strength": one (or two) top "value" you are gaining that makes you think the time you put into OOR is worth it     (1F14A)
    • "Weakness": if you had thought of quitting from OOR, what would have been the key reason(s)     (1F14B)
    • "Opportunity": given what we have now, what is the one (or two) thing we can do that would allow OOR to make a huge (at least meaningful) impact     (1F14C)
    • "Threat": if OOR would cease to be around in 1~5 years, what do you think would have been the most major cause?     (1F14D)

most of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses ...     (1F17)

4. Prior Discussions:     (1F20)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months     (1F21)

... to provide synergies for all.     (1F23)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like     (1F24)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F25)

  • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1F26)
    • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1F26A)
  • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1F27)
    • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1F27A)
  • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1F28)
    • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1F28A)
      • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1F28A1)
      • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1F28A2)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1F32)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1F32A)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1G)

see raw transcript here.     (1G1)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1G2)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1G3)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1G4)

[8:26] Peter P. Yim: welcome to the     (1G5)

OpenOntologyRepository: "Revisiting the OOR Strategy and Tactics" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_05_28     (1G6)

Proceedings:     (1G10)

[8:28] Peter P. Yim: Hi Michael ...     (1G11)

[8:37] Peter P. Yim: == starting session with the slides ...     (1G12)

[8:50] Peter P. Yim: === "Strength": one (or two) top "value" you are gaining that makes you think the     (1G15)

time you put into OOR is worth it     (1G16)

[8:51] Michael Grüninger: collaboration opportunities ... coordination of our individual efforts with     (1G17)

ontology repositories     (1G18)

[8:51] Mike Bennett: The potential for common, shared semantics for reuse in our standards efforts.     (1G19)

[8:51] Till Mossakowski: the decentralized service-based architecture     (1G20)

[8:52] Mike Dean: leading edge for anticipated future repository BAAs and other procurements     (1G21)

[8:52] Leo Obrst: When we first started, there were no ontology repositories, and in fact many     (1G22)

thought there was no need. I think they are still absolutely necessary: for ontology and vocabulary     (1G23)

mapping and interoperability, with supporting services.     (1G24)

[8:52] Peter P. Yim: potential of being part of an infrastructure initiative that creates a component     (1G25)

which will fill a strategic gap for Ontology (as a technology and a discipline) to grow     (1G26)

[9:00] Peter P. Yim: out of curiosity ... was "mutual help to get funded" a value to people?     (1G27)

[9:02] Peter P. Yim: responses: ... useful for projects like: SOCoP, Ken, Till ... Michael (not so far,     (1G28)

but later)     (1G29)

[9:03] Peter P. Yim: === "Weakness": if you had thought of quitting from OOR, what would have been the     (1G30)

key reason(s) ... don't say "not enough time" though, as that is just a matter of priority ...     (1G31)

provide the next granular-level response, "why is this not worth spending your precious time on?"     (1G32)

[9:05] Peter P. Yim: it is not making the kind of impact I would have hoped it will (at least not so     (1G33)

[9:06] Leo Obrst: Too slow progress relative to other efforts: Ontology Summit, Earth Science -     (1G35)

Ontology series, many work projects.     (1G36)

[9:06] Mike Dean: limited direct return on investment so far     (1G37)

[9:06] Michael Grüninger: lack of progress on common architecture     (1G38)

[9:06] Mike Bennett: If we weren't producing our ontologies in OWL (which we now are); if we could     (1G39)

not find suitably reusable, standards-based ontologies (which we haven't really looked for); or if     (1G40)

my management were not aware of OOR because it's down in the weeds from their perspective and they     (1G41)

don't really know what it adds to my deliverables bottom line.     (1G42)

[9:07] Till Mossakowski: there has been no implementation apart from BioPortal (and even the OOR     (1G43)

modifications of BioPortal are trivial). I think OOR's top-down approach for software implementation     (1G44)

does not work.     (1G45)

[9:14] Peter P. Yim: ==== what is the one thing that the team could do to mitigate the issue you cited above     (1G46)

[9:17] Leo Obrst: Joint funding would help. Also, perhaps we should position OOR as providing plugin     (1G47)

services to BioPortal, e.g., rather than trying to do it all.     (1G48)

[9:17] Michael Grüninger: perhaps try a bottom-up approach, where we address the OOR issues in the     (1G49)

context of our individual projects, and then come together to identify how we can best coordinate     (1G50)

work, share ideas, and reuse implementations     (1G51)

[9:17] Mike Dean: identifying a qualified funding opportunity     (1G52)

[9:23] Leo Obrst: Following on Mike Dean's comments: some of us had hoped that big science NSF     (1G53)

efforts such as Earth Cube would show the need for ontology repositories, and thereby push some     (1G54)

[9:17] Till Mossakowski: funding will help, we need more resources for ontology development and     (1G56)

implementation     (1G57)

[9:17] Mike Bennett: If the OOR repository contained the standard ontologies we would use as a key     (1G58)

part of our shared semantics strategy. And made some contribution to how those are accessed and     (1G59)

referenced etc.     (1G60)

[9:17] Peter P. Yim: to increase OOR's impact: get into one of two domains where OOR will the default     (1G61)

place for those people to find their ontologies (like what BioPortal is doing for the biomedical     (1G62)

informatics domain.)     (1G63)

[9:25] Mike Bennett: One or two domains: ontologies based in law, commerce and accounting would     (1G64)

provide many of our building blocks. Also real estate, construction.     (1G65)

[9:26] Leo Obrst: I don't think a domain focus will help. I think BioPortal is not bound to just     (1G66)

biomedical ontologies.     (1G67)

[9:34] Peter P. Yim: domain possibilities: SOCoP (geospatial), OntologyBasedStandards, Finance (FIBO,     (1G68)

accounting, legal, real estate), Academic Papers (Gruninger ...)     (1G69)

[9:41] Peter P. Yim: Till: we are focusing on a couple of domains too: SpacePortal, ConceptPortal,     (1G70)

(similar to BioPortal)     (1G71)

[9:37] anonymous morphed into Bob Smith     (1G72)

[9:41] Peter P. Yim: === "Opportunity": given what we have now, what is the one (or two) thing we can do     (1G73)

that would allow OOR to make a huge (at least meaningful) impact     (1G74)

[9:44] Mike Bennett: Make the published standards ontologies available that have wide application     (1G75)

e.g. W3C Organization, as they become available. And make their status, usage clear and accessible.     (1G76)

[9:44] Peter P. Yim: (as before) build domain focus and reach out to the domains ... in order of     (1G77)

viability - Academic paper, Finance, Standards, ...     (1G78)

[9:44] Leo Obrst: Unsure really. Maybe provide services for some of the Ontology Summit ontology     (1G79)

evaluation tools, vocabulary->ontology mapping service, enhanced ontology/vocabulary versioning     (1G80)

[10:01] Till Mossakowski: we will provide ontology mapping and versioning on Ontohub soon (before Sept.)     (1G82)

[9:45] Michael Grüninger: content that will be used by multiple users and communities     (1G83)

[9:45] Bob Smith: BIM (Building Information Modeling and resulting models) are at the heart of city     (1G84)

sustainability thinking- and some OOR efforts have been going on (IN Germany, esp.) for several     (1G85)

years. Simply need better awareness between those doing BIM OOR and those needing BIM OOR...     (1G86)

[9:45] Peter P. Yim: (a totally separate idea that came out of the Ontology Summit 2013 postmortem     (1G87)

session) tackle: what we could do to enable/improve "Reasoning over the LOD Cloud"     (1G88)

[9:45] Till Mossakowski: come up with software tools that help in the daily ontology development and     (1G89)

maintenance work     (1G90)

[9:45] Mike Dean: Identifying a significant corpus of ontologies that a community needs help     (1G91)

navigating. In addition to standards, ontology design patterns might be a good candidate.     (1G92)

[9:53] Mike Dean: We could populate ODPs in OOR from http://ontologydesignpatterns.org     (1G93)

[9:54] Mike Dean: GaryBergCross and Krzysztof Janowicz have been advocating use of ODPs in SOCoP (and     (1G94)

SOCoP OOR) for some time     (1G95)

[9:48] Mike Bennett: Can I suggest a second thing: ontology visualization, as an aid to people     (1G96)

knowing what they can reuse and how.     (1G97)

[9:46] Michael Grüninger: note from earlier: a student project will start in September to harvest     (1G98)

ontologies from the journal and conference literature     (1G99)

[9:53] Michael Grüninger: @Till: yes, the plan was to upload the ontologies to OntoHub     (1G100)

[9:57] Leo Obrst: Folks, I must leave at 1 pm.     (1G101)

[9:58] Mike Dean: Perhaps there's a branding opportunity for an OntologyStore or OntStore, leveraging     (1G103)

some of the current buzz over various AppStores in the mobile and (at least within government     (1G104)

/ DoD software procurement /) desktop space.     (1G105)

[9:59] Bob Smith: NOTE - Linked Open Data vs. Levels of Detail (of a BIM Model)     (1G106)

[10:02] Leo Obrst: Bye, folks!     (1G107)

[10:04] Peter P. Yim: Part-2 of this "Strategy-Tactics" session is now scheduled for Tue 2013.06.18 ...     (1G108)

(MichaelGruninger will not be available on Jun-25) ... Thanks to agreement by Till Mossakowski to     (1G109)

swap their hackathon session date, the "OOR-Ontohub-Gatekeeper API" Hackathon Session (co-chairs:     (1G110)

Till Mossakowski & KenBaclawski) will now be on Tue 2013.06.25     (1G111)

[10:06] Peter P. Yim: great session ... thanks everyone for your input! ... I think the ideas support     (1G112)

one another very well and viable solutions are emerging ... let's continue on Tue 2013.06.18 same     (1G113)

time ... talk to you all then! (Note that there will be no OOR meeting on Jun-4 and Jun-11.)     (1G114)

[10:06] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 10:05am PDT --     (1G115)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1G116)

6. (Other) Action items:     (1G117)

7. Any Other Business:     (1G119)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1G121)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.05.28-11:40am PDT     (1G125)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1G126)


Resources     (1H)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1H17)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1H26)