From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: "Common User Interface" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_09_17     (1)

Session Topic: Developing a Common UI Across Disparate OOR Instances     (1A)

Session Chair: KenBaclawski     (1B)

Opening Briefing: DanielCoutoVale (slides)     (1C)

This is an open discussion session ... We hope stewards and users of current and developing ontology repositories (folks from Ontohub, COLORE, and various BioPortal-based OOR nodes ... and other domain ontology repositories, like, for Standards, SpacePortal, Financial Industry, etc.) to join us in this session, share their thoughts and help develop a consensus regarding a common user interface across disparate OOR instances.     (1D)

  • Dial-in:     (1E4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1E4A)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1E4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1E4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1E4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1E4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1E4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1E4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1E4B3B)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1E5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1E5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1E5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1E5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1E5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1E6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1E6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20130917@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1E6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1E7)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1E7A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1E7B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1E7C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1E9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1E11)

Attendees     (1F)

  • Expecting:     (1F2)
    • (please add yourself to the list above if you are a member of the community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with the event title/date and your name and affiliation)     (1F3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1F5)

In-session Resources     (1F6)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1G)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1G5)

2. Roll Call:     (1G10)

3. Key discussion:     (1G13)

3.1 Opening brief - "Ontology Repositories: UI Design Considerations" - DanielCoutoVale (slides)     (1G14)

3.2 Open discussion: developing a Common UI across disparate OOR instances     (1G15)

4. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1H)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1H1)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1H2)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1H3)


Chat transcript from room: oor_20130917     (1H4)

2013-09-17 GMT-08:00     (1H5)


[6:58] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1H6)

OpenOntologyRepository: "Common User Interface" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_09_17     (1H7)

Session Topic: Developing a Common UI Across Disparate OOR Instances     (1H8)

Proceeddings:     (1H14)

[7:04] Peter P. Yim: Daniel: we lost you on the voice line ... are you re-connecting?     (1H15)

[7:04] DanielCoutoVale: I'm online! But my call is falling continuously.     (1H16)

[7:05] DanielCoutoVale: can you hear me now?     (1H17)

[7:05] Peter P. Yim: no we cannot hear you ... I can also see that your connection isn't holding     (1H18)

[7:07] Peter P. Yim: == Ken Baclawski starts the session ...     (1H19)

[7:11] Peter P. Yim: == Open brief - DanielCoutoVale presenting ...     (1H20)

... shared screen (VNC server) also available     (1H22)

[7:13] Michael Grüninger: Where is COLORE?     (1H23)

[7:16] Todd Schneider: WordNet isn't an ontology, even Christiane Fellbaum agrees with this view.     (1H24)

[7:18] Peter P. Yim: (for the archives) Daniel will update slides to include COLORE on slide#3     (1H25)

[7:32] Peter P. Yim: @Daniel - slide#8 ... possible typo - you probably meant "90%" (right above the graphics)     (1H26)

[7:35] Peter P. Yim: @Daniel - slide#9 too (typo?)     (1H27)

[7:46] Todd Schneider: Don't we need to have some understanding as to what a user expects to do (when using the UI)?     (1H28)

[7:51] Ken Baclawski: @Todd: There are excellent UI development methodologies when the stakeholders are actively involved     (1H29)

in the development process, but we don't have this. So it is unclear how we would obtain such an understanding.     (1H30)

[7:52] Todd Schneider: There is any user feedback we can glean from BioPortal?     (1H31)

[8:05] Michael Grüninger: unfortunately, I need to leave now     (1H32)

[8:07] Peter P. Yim: we should take into consideration the Content Accessibility Guidelines - such as,     (1H33)

[8:13] Todd Schneider: Decompose the use cases into appropriate widgets supporting the particular fucntions.     (1H36)

[8:15] Todd Schneider: Peter, the functionality across different sites should be 'common'. Those functions     (1H37)

can be derived from the use cases.     (1H38)

[8:17] DanielCoutoVale: By using a Client-Side UI, one could use the same page to access several repositories.     (1H39)

[8:17] Peter P. Yim: @Todd - for the purpose of today's meeting, the focus is more on the UI ("look and feel"?) than     (1H40)

features and functionalities, I think     (1H41)

[8:19] Todd Schneider: Peter, I think look and feel are highly dependent on the functions or actions to be used or executed.     (1H42)

[8:20] Peter P. Yim: I agree with Aleksandra that we should just work on the very common ones (at least for today's exercise)     (1H43)

- browse, upload, search, etc.     (1H44)

[8:25] Peter P. Yim: [action] Daniel will create a google-doc to start collaboratively developing the list of "Common UI" elements     (1H45)

we will implement ... share this with everyone who is at today's call, plus Mike Dean and Till Mossakowski     (1H46)

[8:25] Todd Schneider: Have to go. Thank you Daniel, very nice analysis.     (1H47)

[8:30] Peter P. Yim: I suggest we focus on getting our (OOR) exercise done by just engaging members/instances on this team     (1H49)

- i.e. OOR-sandbox/production; COLORE & Ontohub ... trying to engage more people will be a challenge and may just slow things down     (1H50)

[8:32] Peter P. Yim: with these three groups, we want to confirm their (a) willingness, and (b) feasibility, in terms     (1H51)

of implementing a "common UI"     (1H52)

[8:31] Peter P. Yim: great meeting!     (1H53)

[8:31] Peter P. Yim: Thank you very much, Daniel     (1H54)

[8:31] Ken Baclawski: Thanks again, Daniel.     (1H55)

[8:33] Ken Baclawski: @Peter: Engaging other groups for some feedback would help advertise the OOR as well as get     (1H56)

a better understanding of the use cases for the OOR. If they are not involved in the development of the sandbox     (1H57)

then it should not slow it down.     (1H58)

[8:39] Peter P. Yim: @Ken - I agree ... I just don't want these other on the critical path, or else we will     (1H59)

probably not be moving forward quickly enough -(remembering that we promised ourselves to try to get     (1H60)

this "common UI" implemented in 3 months, back at our 2013.06.18 meeting     (1H61)

[8:31] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 8:31am PDT --     (1H63)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1H64)

5. Action items:     (1H65)

  • DanielCoutoVale will create a google-doc to start collaboratively developing the list of "Common UI" elements that we will implement ... (share this with everyone who is at today's call, plus Mike Dean and TillMossakowski)     (1H66)

6. Any Other Business: ... (deferred to the next meeting)     (1H67)

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1H69)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.09.17-8:55am PDT     (1H77)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1H78)


Resources     (1I)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1I18)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1I27)