From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-III - Fri 2011_03_25     (1)

Note that we have a hard stop after 1 hour, and therefore, we need to start the session promptly. Please try to dial-in 5 minutes before the scheduled start-time. Be careful about the start time too, due to varying Daylight Saving Time implementation at different countries now!     (1A)

Topic: "OOR Architecture & API Specification Development Workshop-III"     (1B)

Session Co-chairs: KenBaclawski & ToddSchneider     (1C)

  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1D7)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1D9)

Attendees     (1F)

  • Expecting:     (1F2)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1F3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1G)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1G1)

  • Peter: we should really try to get into a position whereby people can start contributing code ASAP     (1G4)

Abstract     (1H)

As a result of the two OOR Architecture and API panel sessions, we have seen a large number of architectures and APIs for ontology repositories. We have had requirements for the OOR, at least in broad outline form, since the Ontology Summit 2008. We have been running an OOR sandbox based on BioPortal. Most recently, we have forked from the BioPortal code base with the intention of proceeding separately with the development of a reference implementation.     (1H1)

The various architectures and APIs for ontology repositories are available at OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture     (1H2)

At this meeting we begin the process of producing the actual OOR specification. It will be run as a workshop where the straw man proposal will be discussed and modified as needed.     (1H3)

In addition, there is an API of the core services that was obtained from BioPortal, which is not entirely compatible with the straw man architecture, but furnishes a starting point. This API will also be discussed and modified as needed.     (1H5)

Finally, we need to agree on a plan for completing the development of the specification.     (1H8)

We encourage all to up date your candidate contributions to ensure your ideas are known and understood.     (1H10)

The following are relevant prior meetings:     (1H11)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1I)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1I1)

2. Roll Call & Adoption of last meeting's minutes:     (1I5)

3. Key items for review and discussion today:     (1I8)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1I12)

Peter P. Yim: = OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-III - Fri 2011_03_25 =     (1I13)

Peter P. Yim: Ken Baclawski and All: minutes of the last meeting adopted, as captured on the     (1I15)

Peter P. Yim: ref. KenBaclawski's documentation on "workflow"     (1I17)

Peter P. Yim: Ken and Todd ... if you could capture some of the conversation into the chat for the records,     (1I23)

that would be great!     (1I24)

has been updated to the 11 March 2011 changes.     (1I26)

Todd Schneider: Definition: Workflow = a sequence of possible actions that can be undertaken in the system     (1I27)

Todd Schneider: The OOR supports a multiplicity of workflows     (1I28)

Todd Schneider: Registrar - Human Role: 0) Approves workflows or change thereto; 1) Approves workflow stewards (for a community)     (1I29)

Ken Baclawski: The problem of the granularity of registration is a continuing issue. While there     (1I30)

is general agreement that the granule (administered item) should be an ontology version     (1I31)

(or ontology module version) as well as associated item such as mappings, configurations,     (1I32)

this clashes somewhat with the OOR API that we have right now (based on BioPortal) which has methods for     (1I33)

updating ontologies.     (1I34)

Ken Baclawski: To allow the OOR to develop independently of BioPortal while at the same time     (1I35)

taking advantage of the continuing development of BioPortal, I suggested that the Workflow component     (1I36)

act as a facade (in the sense of design patterns) over the BioPortal core.     (1I37)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1I38)

4. Any Other Business:     (1I39)

5. Action items:     (1I40)

6. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1I41)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.03.27-1:45m PDT     (1I45)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1I46)


Resources     (1J)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1J20)