From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-II - Fri 2011_03_11     (1)

Topic: OOR Specification Workshop II - "OOR Architecture & API Specification Development Workshop-II"     (1A)

Session Co-chairs: KenBaclawski & ToddSchneider     (1B)

... please note that this meeting will have a hard stop in 1 hour (because there is an Ontology Summit 2011 organizing committee meeting coming up next that a few of us are involved in. Therefore, this meeting will start promptly. Please try to call in a few minutes before the scheduled start time!     (1C)

  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1D7)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1D9)

Attendees     (1F)

  • Expecting:     (1F2)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1F3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1G)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1G1)

Abstract     (1H)

As a result of the two OOR Architecture and API panel sessions, we have seen a large number of architectures and APIs for ontology repositories. We have had requirements for the OOR, at least in broad outline form, since the Ontology Summit 2008. We have been running an OOR sandbox based on BioPortal. Most recently, we have forked from the BioPortal code base with the intention of proceeding separately with the development of a reference implementation.     (1H1)

The various architectures and APIs for ontology repositories are available at OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture     (1H2)

At this meeting we begin the process of producing the actual OOR specification. It will be run as a workshop where the straw man proposal will be discussed and modified as needed.     (1H3)

In addition, there is an API of the core services that was obtained from BioPortal, which is not entirely compatible with the straw man architecture, but furnishes a starting point. This API will also be discussed and modified as needed.     (1H6)

Finally, we need to agree on a plan for completing the development of the specification.     (1H9)

We encourage all to up date your candidate contributions to ensure your ideas are known and understood.     (1H11)

The following are relevant prior meetings:     (1H12)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1I)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1I1)

2. Roll Call:     (1I5)

3. Key items for review and discussion today:     (1I7)

"OOR Architecture & API Specification Development Workshop-II:"     (1I8)

see raw transcript here.     (1I12)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1I13)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1I14)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1I15)

OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-II - Fri 2011_03_11     (1I17)

Topic: OOR Specification Workshop II - "OOR Architecture & API Specification Development Workshop-II"     (1I18)

proceeedings:     (1I21)

anonymous morphed into Tim Darr     (1I22)

Tim Darr: this is Tim Darr from KBSI joining     (1I23)

Tim Darr: Hello. Sorry I missed last week, but I had a conflict.     (1I25)

Peter P. Yim: @Tim - we did post a recording (and the chat transcript, although not much in there) for     (1I26)

last weeks' call     (1I27)

Tim Darr: I downloaded the audio, but have not listened yet     (1I28)

Tim Darr: Which document are we looking at currently?     (1I29)

Peter P. Yim: @Tim - the OORI.java file at:     (1I30)

Peter P. Yim: @Tim - during the session, we will generally refer to that as "purple number 2PK8" ...     (1I32)

which is what you can get to if you search on the session page for the string "2PK8"     (1I33)

Ken Baclawski: The guiding principle we will use is to introduce a facade that exposes the OOR API     (1I34)

and uses the BioPortal API internally. This ensures that any improvements to     (1I35)

BioPortal can be seamlessly incorporated in the OOR Reference Implementation.     (1I36)

Terry Longstreth: I'd love to see the document that describes the BioPortal architecture and shows     (1I37)

where our 'facade' intersects     (1I38)

Todd Schneider: Suggested modification: An OOR guiding principle: we will provide a facade that     (1I39)

exposes the OOR API and can be coupled to the BioPortal API. This will allow for     (1I40)

improvements to BioPortal to be incorporated in the OOR Reference Implementation.     (1I41)

Tim Darr: Thanks. Since I missed last week, what is the status of the forked BioPortal code?     (1I42)

Tim Darr: [re. BioPortal] where do I find that location?     (1I43)

Tim Darr: Thanks, but where do we get the actual code? cimcentral??     (1I46)

Peter P. Yim: @Tim - access the semwebcentral code repository via link at:     (1I47)

Peter P. Yim: or, more directly http://oor.semwebcentral.org/ ... and in fact,     (1I49)

Yuriy Milov: Sorry, need to go     (1I53)

Tim Darr: Thanks, Mike! You should get a request to join from Scott Fahle at KBSI. We are very     (1I54)

interested in contributing. It seems like BioPortal has the default capabilities that we     (1I55)

need, plus we can provide feedback and requirements moving forward.     (1I56)

Ken Baclawski: The consensus is to have a single searchOntologyMetadata method that has a single     (1I57)

parameter, the query, and returns a list of matching ontologies. One is basically     (1I58)

specifying a collection of match criteria for the metadata, the match criteria being specified using     (1I59)

the OMV (or some extension of it).     (1I60)

Tim Darr: @Ken - that meets our immediate requirements.     (1I61)

Terry Longstreth: Thoughts on admin and workflow, for consideration: Administration : functions with     (1I62)

special privileges, rules and workflow Admin would be tailored by instances, but should include a     (1I63)

correlated set of common functions for protections of the content across the federation Admin is a     (1I64)

distinguished type of workflow, as is find, inference, persistence, etc So Workflow is the enabling     (1I65)

meta-language as well as a standard mechanism for scheduling functions in the system.     (1I66)

Tim Darr: @Peter - I agree! KBSI has resources available (as long as it is in line with our contract)     (1I67)

Peter P. Yim: next week (Fri Mar-18) is session OOR Metadata (MichaelGruninger) ... therefore, next     (1I68)

Architecture-API workshop - Fri 3/25 same time ... we will focus on workflow at that     (1I69)

session, i.e. our "OOR Architecture-API workshop-III"     (1I70)

Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 6:59am PST --     (1I71)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1I72)

4. Any Other Business:     (1I73)

5. Action items:     (1I74)

6. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1I75)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.03.011-7:00am PST     (1I79)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1I80)


Resources     (1J)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1J20)