From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-10-15     (1)

We will be discussing the (post-BioPortal fork) OOR Architecture and the adoption of an API. ... See detailed agenda below. Please refer also to the notes from the last regular meeting at: OOR/ConferenceCall 2010_10_01 and the two recent panel sessions:     (1A)

... note, in particular, the start time of this meeting is three hours earlier than before (9:00am, rather than 12:00noon EDT)     (1D)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1F5)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1F5A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1F5B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides below] (associated with the respective agenda item) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1F5C)
  • Discussion, Questions & Remarks:     (1F6)
    • (Unless the conference host has already muted everyone) Please mute your phone, by pressing "*2" on your phone keypad, when a presentation is in progress. To un-mute, press "*3"     (1F6A)
    • You can type in your questions or comments through the browser based chat session by:     (1F6B)
      • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field). You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1F6C1)
    • (when everyone is muted) If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please "raise your hand (virtually)" by click on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the speaker or the session moderator (again, press "*3" on your phone to unmute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*2" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1F6D)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20101015@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1F6E)
  • For those who cannot join us, or who have further questions or remarks on the summit topic and content, please post them to the [ oor-forum ] listserv so that everyone in the community can benefit from the discourse.     (1F7)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1F9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1F11)

Attendees     (1H)

Resources     (1I)

Agenda Ideas     (1J)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1J1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1K)

1. Peter P. Yim takes the chair and welcomes everyone.     (1K1)

2. Roll call and review of agenda     (1K2)

3. Discussion:     (1K3)

Pertinent Questions We Will be Asking     (1K7)

  • Key requirements of the new OOR architecture? (very brief ... this can take over the whole session otherwise!)     (1K7A)
  • Who are the immediate software contributors that we will need to accommodate?     (1K7B)
  • Enumerating our options and candidate architectural approaches (1 slide (max. 2) from anyone who has a proposal.)     (1K7C)
  • interim consensus on key tenets of the OOR architecture? ... delegate to a small team to work this offline?     (1K7D)
  • Suggestions towards defining an API (1 to 2 slides from anyone who has a proposal.)     (1K7E)
  • interim OOR API-related consensus? ... delegate to a small team to work this offline?     (1K7F)
  • Recommended development platform ... consensus     (1K7G)

4. Review of Immediate next steps and action items.     (1K7H)

5. Any other business     (1K7I)

6. Discussion on future regular meeting time     (1K7J)

7. Adjourn     (1K7K)

Transcript of the online chat during the session     (1L)

see raw transcript here in the mean time.     (1L1)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1L2)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1L3)

-- begin of chat session --     (1L4)

Welcome to the OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-10-15     (1L6)

anonymous morphed into JouniTuominen     (1L10)

Ken Baclawski: Here is the architecture diagram we propose (as presented on 17-Sep-2010):     (1L11)

Ken Baclawski: This is the current OOR API (in Java) based on BioPortal:     (1L13)

Peter P. Yim: all new contributions to the OOR software (except for existing non-BSD contributions that     (1L15)

will, hopefully, be migrated over), as well as content (i.e. ontologies) uploaded to the public     (1L16)

instance of the production OOR, operated by the OOR-team, will be made under the "Simplified     (1L17)

Peter P. Yim: Let's step through the questions we need to address at this session (below)     (1L19)

Peter P. Yim: == Key requirements of the new OOR architecture? ==     (1L20)

Michael Grüninger: support for multiple ontology specification languages     (1L21)

Peter P. Yim: I think it must accommodate both the existing codebase (BioPortal) and new contributions     (1L22)

Ken Baclawski: The use cases are certainly important. The posted architecture is based on the use     (1L23)

Michael Grüninger: services of the OOR should be independent of the ontology specification language     (1L25)

Till Mossakowski: It should be flexible enough in order to easily integrate new formats and services     (1L26)

Peter P. Yim: as per OntologySummit2008_Communique ... we want to be on a Service Oriented Architecture     (1L27)

Michael Grüninger: support for ontology metdata     (1L28)

Peter P. Yim: metadata should be an extension of OMV too     (1L29)

Peter P. Yim: robustness, scalability, etc. for the repository is definitely important     (1L30)

Yuriy Milov: Java based ... I agree to discuss the Java implementation later (as a recommendation,     (1L31)

when we come to the choice of platform discussion (as Peter P. Yim suggests)     (1L32)

Peter P. Yim: == Who are the immediate software contributors that we will need to accommodate? ==     (1L33)

Ken Baclawski: My team at Northeastern University (NEU)     (1L35)

Michael Grüninger: Cameron Ross is leading the architectural design of COLORE     (1L36)

Till Mossakowski: at Bremen, we have a BioPortal clone and the Hets system     (1L37)

AlexGarcia has been working on)     (1L39)

Till Mossakowski: We might want to use tntbase.org (but we have close contact to them)     (1L40)

Mike Dean: contributions from Raytheon-BBN     (1L41)

Peter P. Yim: NeOn project? .... (of course, OMV is from the NeOn project, and that is definitely in)     (1L42)

Peter P. Yim: ref. NeOn involvement I will continue the conversations with Aldo Gangemi, Mathieu Daquin,     (1L43)

Andreas Harth and Enrico Motta to solicit their involvement     (1L44)

JouniTuominen: ONKI ontology service http://www.onki.fi, project page     (1L45)

Bart Gajderowicz: My contribution would be library development     (1L47)

Bart Gajderowicz: As part of my thesis, I have been working on ontology matching, and have developed     (1L49)

an application, which I would like to contribute to the OOR architecture     (1L50)

Peter P. Yim: == Enumerating our options and candidate architectural approaches ==     (1L51)

Till Mossakowski: slide no. 7 of Immanuel's presentation     (1L52)

Yuriy Milov: Is Google's AppEngine an appropriate platform? I'd like to add some stuff from there     (1L54)

Till Mossakowski: I think a good thing is define a RESTful interface of services. We have implemented     (1L55)

meaning to use this one, but just want to give an idea of what a RESTful interface is.     (1L57)

Peter P. Yim: ref. BioPortal high level architecture -     (1L58)

Ken Baclawski: I have posted an architecture which is based on the use cases, but I am open to     (1L60)

suggestions especially concerning how to accommodate multiple specification languages for     (1L61)

ontologies.     (1L62)

JouniTuominen: +1 for RESTful interface. We have developed LOOS API (Linked Open Ontology Services,     (1L63)

in spirit of LOD) for ONKI, see http://www.yso.fi/onkirest . Actually the intefrace it's not that     (1L64)

RESTful, more like a method-based HTTP API     (1L65)

Ken Baclawski: @Till - Concerning the slide in Immanuel's presentation, this is not an SOA     (1L66)

architecture diagram. In fact the entire diagram is just two diagrams: the GUI and the core     (1L67)

services.     (1L68)

Ken Baclawski: @Till - I have the experience of developing web services for a military contract, and     (1L69)

SOAP/WSDL was much easier to develop than REST.     (1L70)

Till Mossakowski: We have a bit of experience with SOAP, but have not implemented one project with     (1L71)

both REST and SOAP.     (1L72)

Ken Baclawski: The current trend in SOA is for REST and SOAP to converge, so the distinction may     (1L73)

disappear.     (1L74)

Till Mossakowski: Can WSDL be used together with either of them?     (1L75)

Ken Baclawski: Yes, it is possible for a single service to support both SOAP and REST at the same     (1L76)

Ken Baclawski: In my previous post about Immanual's presentation, I mean the diagram is two     (1L78)

components, not two diagrams.     (1L79)

Michael Grüninger: Architecture for COLORE can be found in slide 5 in the presentation at     (1L80)

Yuriy Milov: SOCCA supports easy application migration from one cloud to another and service     (1L84)

redeployment to different clouds by separating the roles of service logic provider and service     (1L85)

hosting/cloud providers. It promotes an open platform on which open standards, ontology are     (1L86)

embraced.     (1L87)

Peter P. Yim: == decision: let's delegate the workout of architectural details to a committee ==     (1L88)

Peter P. Yim: the committee is to run with an open transparent process, and will keep all of us in synch     (1L89)

Peter P. Yim: committee meetings to be announced so others can join as observers     (1L90)

Peter P. Yim: only code contributors will participate in making the final decisions ... other     (1L91)

architectural suggestions will only be provided as references to the committee     (1L92)

Peter P. Yim: the precepts agreed earlier as "Key requirements of the new OOR architecture" will drive     (1L93)

the committee's work and decisions     (1L94)

Peter P. Yim: on the committee: rep from NCBO, NEU, UToronto, Bremen, Raytheon-BBN, NeOn ... (to be     (1L95)

decided) ONKI, Yuriy Milov, ... (BartGajderowicz agreed that he will just observe and work with what     (1L96)

comes out of the committee)     (1L97)

Peter P. Yim: Architecture Committee will work up a architecture first ... and then develop the API     (1L98)

Peter P. Yim: each party in the committee to nominate their committee member ... Peter to contact those     (1L99)

who are not here today     (1L100)

Peter P. Yim: we will defer discussion on development platform     (1L101)

Peter P. Yim: we will continue to discuss regular meeting times on the [oor-forum] list ... please     (1L102)

provide input into the doodle poll if you haven't already - goto: http://doodle.com/a2snxkpkd8hhxek4     (1L103)

Peter P. Yim: as discussed previously, this is almost about time we start this - have alternate Friday     (1L104)

OOR team meetings - one for OOR high level issues, content, admin etc., and the other for deep-water     (1L105)

technical meetings.     (1L106)

Peter P. Yim: ALL: agreed ... we can possibly even have alternate (Friday) start-times for each of these     (1L107)

meeting sets     (1L108)

Peter P. Yim: thanks everyone ... very productive meeting indeed!     (1L109)

Peter P. Yim: -- session ended 8:10am PDT --     (1L110)

Peter P. Yim: The unedited chat-transcript is now online ... I will be posting the audio archive and a     (1L111)

lightly edited (and re-organized) version of the chat transcript (for clarity and better     (1L112)

intelligibility) later.     (1L113)

-- end of chat session --     (1L114)

Audio Recording of this Session     (1M)

  • suggestion: its best that you listen to the session while having the viewgraphs opened in front of you. You'll be prompted to advance slides by the speaker.     (1M5)
  • Take a look, also, at the rich body of knowledge that this community has built together, over the years, by going through the archives of noteworthy past Ontolog events. (References on how to subscribe to our podcast can also be found there.)     (1M6)

Proposed Architectural Approaches     (1N)

  • NCBO-BioPortal - ref. BioPortal-Proposed-Architecture-Technology-Stack-Diagram-4 dated 2010-07-24     (1N3)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1N11)