From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Metadata Workshop-VIII - Tue 2013_07_02     (1)

Topic: OOR Metadata Workshop-VIII: Metadata in Ontology Mapping - II     (1A)

Session Co-chairs: MichaelGruninger (U of Toronto) & MikeBennett (EDM Council)     (1B)

  • Dial-in:     (1C4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1C4A)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1C4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1C4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1C4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1C4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1C4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1C4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1C4B3B)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1C5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1C5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1C5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1C5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1C5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1C6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1C6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20130702@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1C6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1C7)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1C7A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1C7B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1C7C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1C9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1C11)

Attendees     (1D)

  • Expecting:     (1D2)
    • (please add yourself to the list above if you are a member of the community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with the event title/date and your name and affiliation)     (1D3A)

Abstract     (1E)

Topic: OOR Metadata Workshop-VIII: Metadata in Ontology Mapping - II     (1E1)

The plan for today's session is to have Mike Bennett give an overview of FIBO in terms of its various possible modules along with the current ontology-level metadata provisions, and Michael Grüninger will follow and present an attempt to capture these relationships using ontology metadata.     (1E3)

This effort, hopefully, will get us a step closer to the team consensus from our 18-Jun-2013 OOR-Strategy meeting that we will focused on developing three things (hopefully within the next 3 months)- namely, (i) the set of metadata, (ii) the API, and (iii) some shared thoughts on the UI across different nodes/instances of the OOR network of ontology repositories.     (1E4)

References     (1F)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1G)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1G5)

2. Roll Call:     (1G10)

3. Prepared presentations     (1G13)

4. Focused discussion - moderated by Michael Grüninger     (1G16)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1G18)

see raw transcript here.     (1G18A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1G18B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1G18C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1G18D)


Chat transcript from room: oor_20130702     (1G18E)

2013-07-02 GMT-08:00 [PDT]     (1G18F)


[06:43] Welcome to the     (1G18G)

OpenOntologyRepository: Metadata Workshop-VIII - Tue 2013_07_02     (1G18H)

  • Topic: OOR Metadata Workshop-VIII: Metadata in Ontology Mapping - II     (1G18I)

The plan for today's session is to have Mike Bennett give an overview of FIBO     (1G18L)

in terms of its various possible modules, and Michael Grüninger will follow     (1G18M)

and present an attempt to capture these relationships using ontology metadata.     (1G18N)

We will then have a discussion/workshop focusing on metadata for OOR.     (1G18O)

This effort, hopefully, will get us a step closer to the team consensus     (1G18P)

from our 18-Jun-2013 OOR-Strategy meeting that we will focused on     (1G18Q)

developing three things (hopefully within the next 3 months)- namely,     (1G18R)

(i) the set of metadata, (ii) the API, and (iii) some shared thoughts on the     (1G18S)

UI across different nodes/instances of the OOR network of ontology repositories.     (1G18T)

  • Mute control: *7 to un-mute ... *6 to mute (please make sure your own phone is not muted as well)     (1G18V)
  • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1G18W)

Attendees: Michael Grüninger (co-chair), Mike Bennett (co-chair), Ali Hashemi, Amanda Vizedom (on chat     (1G18X)

Proceedings     (1G18Z)

[7:02] Peter P. Yim: == Co-chairs Michael Grüninger and Mike Bennett starts the session ...     (1G18AA)

[7:03] anonymous morphed into Ali Hashemi     (1G18AB)

[7:07] anonymous morphed into David Eddy     (1G18AC)

[7:09] Todd Schneider: [ ref. Mike's slide#4 ] Mike, How should we interpret 'use case neutral'?     (1G18AF)

[7:36] Mike Bennett: @Todd by use case neutral I mean that as an industry standard, it is not a model     (1G18AG)

designed to support a single use case, but needs to provide for current and future use cases.     (1G18AH)

[7:16] Peter P. Yim: Amanda Vizedom joined (a little earlier)     (1G18AI)

[7:16] Amanda Vizedom: (I'm not on the call yet - technical difficulties -- be there soon)     (1G18AJ)

[7:19] Peter P. Yim: Tx, Amanda     (1G18AK)

[7:25] Amanda Vizedom: Apologies, technical difficulties not resolving. I will have to listen to     (1G18AL)

recording later.     (1G18AM)

[7:28] Peter P. Yim: [ ref. MikeBennett's slide#9 ] the OMG Specification Metadata (SM) Vocabulary (owl     (1G18AN)

[7:32] Peter P. Yim: for information about CTS2 -vs- OMV see proceedings of the "OOR-Metadata     (1G18AP)

[7:38] Peter P. Yim: @Mike - how does the OMG's Specification Metadata (SM) Vocabulary relate to the     (1G18AR)

Common Terminology Services 2 (CTS2) by HL7 & OMG     (1G18AS)

[7:43] Peter P. Yim: @MikeBennett - is there some work at OMG that documents a comparison between their     (1G18AT)

Specification Metadata (SM) Vocabulary to the NeOn Ontology Metadata Vocabulary (OMV)     (1G18AU)

[7:43] Mike Bennett: @Peter I don't know - Elisa Kendall would be the person to ask (I was hoping she     (1G18AV)

could join us today)     (1G18AW)

[7:44] Mike Bennett: @Peter I also don't know how SM relates to HL7 etc.     (1G18AX)

[7:44] Peter P. Yim: Thanks, Mike     (1G18AY)

[7:39] Mike Bennett: Other considerations: in referencing between kinds of model generally, there are     (1G18AZ)

separate dimensions to consider: model relationship to what is modeled (real things v digital     (1G18AAA)

resources); formal grounding of model elements (FOL versus Object Orientation for example); and     (1G18AAB)

model abstraction levels. Not sure how much of that is relevant to OOR but it's a consideration in     (1G18AAC)

models alignment generally I think.     (1G18AAD)

[7:40] Mike Bennett: Other considerations: we used some basic upper ontology partitions based on     (1G18AAE)

John F. Sowa, which have been removed in the OMG submission but are still important. Can we make better     (1G18AAF)

reference to other upper ontology partitions, especially those in DOLCE. Also can we make better use     (1G18AAG)

of published work on mereology etc. in place of some of our more provisional patterns.     (1G18AAH)

[7:41] Mike Bennett: Use of DOL - we would like to know more about that.     (1G18AAI)

[7:47] Mike Bennett: The REA ontology is published in UML form at present. We have however done some     (1G18AAJ)

extensive remodelling of this using OWL axioms, with reference to the more abstract partitions in     (1G18AAK)

[7:48] Mike Bennett: (we need to finalize that work with BillMcCarthy - I think we are ready to     (1G18AAM)

publish but he needs to vet it first).     (1G18AAN)

[7:50] Todd Schneider: Michael, w.r.t. the OOR design/implementation, one 'use' of the metadata is to     (1G18AAO)

communicate actions (e.g., queries) and perhaps directly drive the UI.     (1G18AAP)

[8:02] Michael Grüninger: Rather than adopt a single ontology metadata ontology, OOR should be     (1G18AAQ)

flexible enough to use the multiple metadata ontologies that are available. Of course, we will need     (1G18AAR)

to ensure that these ontologies are mutually consistent, and we will need to understand their     (1G18AAS)

relationships     (1G18AAT)

[7:53] Michael Grüninger: [Action Item] Detailed study of the relationships between the ontology     (1G18AAU)

metadata ontologies (OMV, OMG SM, CTS2)     (1G18AAV)

[7:57] Michael Grüninger: [Action Item] Detailed analysis of FIBO Annotation Vocabulary     (1G18AAW)

[7:58] Mike Bennett: [Action item] understand the implications of how e.g. FIBO re-framed DC terms as     (1G18AAX)

OWL Annotation Properties and instances thereof (annotation facts).     (1G18AAY)

[8:00] Todd Schneider: Have to go. Thank you. Cheers.     (1G18AAZ)

[8:09] Peter P. Yim: @MikeBennett and All - can we get "other ontologies" that you would want FIBO to     (1G18AAAA)

work with onto a OOR instance, so that they are all "logically" in one place (which is OOR's core     (1G18AAAB)

value proposition) that would be nice - more tangibly, could we get (a) the REA ontology, (b) the     (1G18AAAC)

OMG Date Time Vocabulary, and (c) others you can think of, into (i) the OOR-sandbox, and (ii)     (1G18AAAD)

Ontohub ... and then we start working out what metadata, what value-added services, will be most     (1G18AAAE)

[8:09] Ali Hashemi: I've got to run. Thanks!     (1G18AAAG)

[8:10] Michael Grüninger: The Common Logic axiomatization of OMG Date Time Vocabulary is already in     (1G18AAAH)

[8:12] Michael Grüninger: [Action Item] Upload FIBO Foundations into OntoHub     (1G18AAAK)

[8:13] Mike Bennett: 26 Aug version is the one to upload for FIBO-Foundations     (1G18AAAL)

[8:13] Mike Bennett: but we can upload what's there right now, if we like, as a sandbox     (1G18AAAM)

[8:14] Peter P. Yim: @Mike & Michael - since we are still experimenting, can be upload, in parallel to     (1G18AAAN)

Ontohub, OOR-sandbox, COLORE, etc. whichever is appropriate     (1G18AAAO)

[8:14] Mike Bennett: I would like to see if we can work more closely with the COLORE effort going     (1G18AAAP)

[8:15] Mike Bennett: There is an ongoing conversation at OMG about URIs. This covers both versioning,     (1G18AAAR)

and a new idea from Harold Solbrig about a URI fragment for "real things", as an OMG recommendations.     (1G18AAAS)

[8:20] David Eddy: Versioning, change control is absolutely critical. The work of keeping these     (1G18AAAT)

various tools will never be maintained manually. The process of keeping ontology/vocabulary/semantic     (1G18AAAU)

information MUST be woven into the normal work process. Extra work will not happen.     (1G18AAAV)

[8:21] David Eddy: It appears versioning is way early, so don't spend time working about it. There     (1G18AAAW)

are dozens of versioning tools. Just make sure you keep the door open for versioning to happen.     (1G18AAAX)

[8:31] Peter P. Yim: session plan confirmed - Thu 2013.07.18 OntologyBasedStandards mini-series planning     (1G18AAAY)

session - co-chairs: Michael Grüninger (cfmd) & Elisa Kendall (tbc)     (1G18AAAZ)

[8:34] Peter P. Yim: we will plan out possible events for 7/23 & 7/30 in the next OOR meeting (Jul-9)     (1G18AAAAA)

[8:33] Peter P. Yim: [consensus] the OOR team will take August-2013 off ... (like the Ontolog community)     (1G18AAAAB)

no OOR events/meetings will be scheduled during that month     (1G18AAAAC)

[8:33] Lamar Henderson: Will slides be posted?     (1G18AAAAD)

[8:37] Peter P. Yim: @LamarHenderson - today's slides are already available at:     (1G18AAAAE)

[8:35] Peter P. Yim: very productive session ... thanks!     (1G18AAAAG)

[8:35] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 8:34am PDT --     (1G18AAAAH)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1G18AAAAI)

6. Action items:     (1G18AAAAJ)

7. Any Other Business:     (1G18AAAAL)

  • decide if we want to take Aug-2013 off too (like the Ontolog community)     (1G18AAAAM)
    • [consensus] Yes - the OOR team will take August-2013 off ... (like the Ontolog community) no OOR events/meetings will be scheduled during that month     (1G18AAAAM1)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn     (1G18AAAAO)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.07.02-3:38pm PDT     (1G18AAAAS)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1G18AAAAT)


Resources     (1H)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1H18)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1H27)