From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Project Team Member (regular planning & admin) Conference Call - Tue 2013_11_05     (1)

This is a regular OOR Team meeting. We will be pick up from our last monthly OOR team confcall on 2013_10_01 and continue to use this meeting to work up plans and administrative details for the OOR Team for the rest of 2013.     (1A)

  • Dial-in:     (1B4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... Conference ID: 141184# ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1B4A)
    • in view of recently reported skype connection issues, this is not recommended (especially for speakers) although it may still work for some ... Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1B4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1B4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1B4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1B4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1B4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1B4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1B4B3B)
      • if you are using skype and the connection to "joinconference" is not holding up, try using (your favorite POTS or VoIP line, etc.) either your phone, skype-out or google-voice and call the US dial-in number: +1 (206) 402-0100 ... when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1B4B4)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1B5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1B5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1B5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1B5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1B5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1B6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1B6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20131105@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1B6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1B7)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1B7A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1B7B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1B7C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1B9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1B11)

Attendees     (1C)

  • Expecting:     (1C2)
    • (please add yourself to the list above if you are a member of the community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with the event title/date and your name and affiliation)     (1C2B)

Agenda Ideas     (1C4)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1D4)

2. Roll Call:     (1D9)

3. Key discussion:     (1D12)

Ref: our list of "Priorities & Most Critical Tasks At Hand" - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository#nid17YH     (1D13)

3.1 Review OOR priorities and focus     (1D14)

  • there is general consensus we would change to a more bottom-up approach (rather than the "top-down" approach we have been taking) ...        (1D15)
    • we will encourage each oor node project to develop (colore, ontohub, socop, oor public instance, etc.) on their own, and coordinate the "team" effort through the use of a shared set of metadata, API and the UI (e.g. how people download (or even upload) ontologies, etc.)     (1D15A)
    • The key is to ensure that each of the ontology repository projects in OOR are interoperable from the software perspective, uniform in the GUI, and they use a shared approach to ontology metadata     (1D15B)
    • initially (prior to federation mechanisms being in place) we will make <oor.net> to be an ontology registry, which then links to the ontologies in the actual ontology repository where the ontology is described     (1D15C)
    • actions will be focused on developing three things (hopefully within the next 3 months): the set of metadata, the API, and some shared thoughts on the UI     (1D15D)
    • after that, we will focus on building up content with each OOR node tackling the domain(s) they are best with, and put in a concerted effort towards OOR adoption     (1D15E)

3.2 scheduling of OOR Events'     (1D18)

most of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses ...     (1D20)

4. Prior Discussions:     (1D22)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months     (1D23)

... to provide synergies for all.     (1D25)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like     (1D26)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D27)

  • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1D28)
    • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1D28A)
  • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1D29)
    • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1D29A)
  • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1D30)
    • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1D30A)
      • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1D30A1)
      • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1D30A2)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D34)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1D34A)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1E)

see raw transcript [ here].     (1E1)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1E2)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1E3)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1E4)


Chat transcript from room: oor_20131105     (1E5)

2013-11-05 GMT-08:00 [PST]     (1E6)


[6:54] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1E7)

OpenOntologyRepository: Project Team Member Meeting - Tue 2013_11_05     (1E8)

This is a regular monthly planning & admin Conference Call     (1E9)

Proceedings:     (1E12)

[6:57] Ken Baclawski: Good morning!     (1E13)

[6:58] Peter P. Yim: Hi Ken ... don't see you on the phone bridge yet!?     (1E14)

[7:02] Ken Baclawski: re: potential collaborators - take a look at: Asset Description Metadata Schema (ADMS) - https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms/home     (1E15)

[7:05] Peter P. Yim: Ken: this was previously mentioned in one of JeanneHolm's talks     (1E16)

[7:05] Peter P. Yim: Michael: I'll be at the ISO sc32 / 11179 meeting shortly, and can see what they think about this too     (1E18)

[7:13] Peter P. Yim / Ken Baclawski: they run a repository/registry too     (1E19)

[7:16] Ken Baclawski: Another related standard is Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR), which     (1E21)

does not claim to be a data model at all, yet has some good ideas and it can easily be translated to UML. http://www.ifla.org/node/949     (1E22)

[7:27] Ken Baclawski: How do we determine the requirements and then determine the extent to which these other     (1E24)

communities have resources we can use. Perhaps a hackathon?     (1E25)

[7:59] Peter P. Yim: == re SOCoP-OOR issue     (1E26)

[8:02] Peter P. Yim: this SOCoP-OOR instance has been down since Oct-22, and it's still not recovered yet ... reflecting     (1E27)

huge issues we are having in hosting and maintaining BioPortal-based OOR instances (now, and more so in the future)     (1E28)

[8:02] Peter P. Yim / Ken Baclawski: we will address the SOCoP-OOR instance next Monday (Nov-11, when we can meet with     (1E29)

Shinya Yamada and Tejas Parikh, when both of them are back from their traveling) and follow-up from there     (1E30)

[8:03] Peter P. Yim: whether or not we should continue to support a SOCoP-OOR instance ... or more generically, the     (1E31)

various BioPortal-based OOR instances in the long run, should be discussed (not today)     (1E32)

[8:03] Peter P. Yim: we also need to find out if SOCoP have plans or resources to continue supporting a SOCoP-OOR, especially     (1E33)

in view of the RPI's plan to stand up a similar ontology repository (with collaboration/support from Stanford too)     (1E34)

[8:04] Peter P. Yim: Peter also announced plans to start paring down support activities in anticipation of his     (1E35)

retirement (possibly in 6~12 months)     (1E36)

[8:06] Peter P. Yim: @Ken: I still need a session plan from you and Till for the Nov-12 OOR-Hackathon n.05 ... please advise.     (1E37)

[8:22] Ken Baclawski: I will check with Till. Thanks for reminding me.     (1E38)

[8:05] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 8:03am PST --     (1E39)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1E40)

6. Action items:     (1E41)

7. Any Other Business:     (1E43)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1E45)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.11.05-11:18am PDT     (1E49)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1E50)


Resources     (1F)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1F18)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1F27)