From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: Project Team Member (regular planning & admin) Conference Call - Tue 2013_09_03     (1)

This is a regular OOR Team meeting. The last time we did OOR planning (specifically: "Strategy & Tactics") was in Jun-2013. We will be pick up from those discussions and try to use this meeting to work up plans and administrative details for the OOR Team for the rest of 2013.     (1A)

  • Dial-in:     (1B4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1B4A)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1B4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1B4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1B4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1B4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1B4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1B4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1B4B3B)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1B5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1B5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1B5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1B5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1B5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1B6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1B6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20130528@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1B6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1B7)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1B7A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1B7B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1B7C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1B9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1B11)

Attendees     (1C)

  • Expecting:     (1C2)
    • (please add yourself to the list above if you are a member of the community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with the event title/date and your name and affiliation)     (1C2A)

Agenda Ideas     (1C4)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1D4)

2. Roll Call:     (1D9)

3. Key discussion:     (1D12)

Ref: our list of "Priorities & Most Critical Tasks At Hand" - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository#nid17YH - and, picking up from our last "Revisiting the OOR Strategy and Tactics - II" discussion - OOR/ConferenceCall_2013_06_18, specifically,     (1D13)

  • there is general consensus we would change to a more bottom-up approach (rather than the "top-down" approach we have been taking) ...        (1D14)
    • we will encourage each oor node project to develop (colore, ontohub, socop, oor public instance, etc.) on their own, and coordinate the "team" effort through the use of a shared set of metadata, API and the UI (e.g. how people download (or even upload) ontologies, etc.)     (1D14A)
    • The key is to ensure that each of the ontology repository projects in OOR are interoperable from the software perspective, uniform in the GUI, and they use a shared approach to ontology metadata     (1D14B)
    • initially (prior to federation mechanisms being in place) we will make <oor.net> to be an ontology registry, which then links to the ontologies in the actual ontology repository where the ontology is described     (1D14C)
    • actions will be focused on developing three things (hopefully within the next 3 months): the set of metadata, the API, and some shared thoughts on the UI     (1D14D)
    • after that, we will focus on building up content with each OOR node tackling the domain(s) they are best with, and put in a concerted effort towards OOR adoption     (1D14E)

3.1 Review OOR priorities and focus     (1D15)

3.2 scheduling of OOR Events for the rest of 2013     (1D19)

most of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses ...     (1D21)

4. Prior Discussions:     (1D23)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months     (1D24)

... to provide synergies for all.     (1D26)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like     (1D27)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D28)

  • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1D29)
    • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1D29A)
  • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1D30)
    • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1D30A)
  • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1D31)
    • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1D31A)
      • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1D31A1)
      • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1D31A2)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D35)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1D35A)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1E)

see raw transcript here.     (1E1)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1E2)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1E3)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1E4)


Chat transcript from room: oor_20130903     (1E5)

2013-09-03 GMT-08:00 [PDT]     (1E6)


OpenOntologyRepository: Project Team Member (regular planning & admin) Conference Call �� Tue 2013_09_03     (1E8)

Proceedings     (1E12)

[7:00] anonymous morphed into Todd Schneider     (1E13)

[7:04] Peter P. Yim: == Michael Grüninger takes the chair ...     (1E14)

[7:08] anonymous morphed into DanielCoutoVale     (1E16)

[7:08] DanielCoutoVale: I'm also online     (1E17)

[7:11] Peter P. Yim: === ideas for Ontology Summit 2014 topic (synergistic with OOR)     (1E18)

[7:13] Michael Grüninger: I think that the topic "The Ontology Spectrum Revisited: from CL and     (1E19)

OntoIOp to Linked Data and Schema.org" would align quite well with the OOR, illustrating the     (1E20)

comprehensive scope of the existing ontology repositories     (1E21)

[7:14] Michael Grüninger: Federation and Integration is also aligned with some of our objectives,     (1E22)

particularly in the relationships between ontologies within a repository, as well as relationships     (1E23)

among different repositories     (1E24)

[7:20] Michael Grüninger: Possible topic -- How do I find the right ontology for me to use in my application?     (1E25)

[7:26] Todd Schneider: Evaluation of ontologies has a bearing on OOR and we've discussed how to     (1E26)

support it in the past.     (1E27)

[7:28] Peter P. Yim: maybe we can discuss here how OOR can be relevant to "Big Data" (or, maybe,     (1E28)

specifically, dataset vocabularies) ... so the Ontology Summit can push Ontology's potential     (1E29)

contribution in the "Big Data" space     (1E30)

[7:28] Peter P. Yim: === positioning OOR in the OntologyBasedStandards initiative     (1E31)

[7:28] Michael Grüninger: Upcoming sessions for the Ontology-based Standards series:     (1E32)

1. Ontology-based Standards in the area of Quantities and Units of Measure [PeterYim, FrankOlken?]     (1E33)

2. Ontology-based Standards in Geospatial Domains [TaraAthan, Gary Berg-Cross]     (1E34)

3. Ontology-based Standards in Manufacturing [BobYoung, Michael Grüninger, RichardMartin]     (1E35)

4. Ontology-based Financial Standards (e.g. ISO 15944, FIBO) [MikeBennett, BillMcCarthy, ElieAbiLahoud]     (1E36)

5. Standards and Ontology Metadata [ElisaKendall, TerryLongstreth]     (1E37)

6. Ontologies for Social Networks [KenBaclawski, EricChan]     (1E38)

7. How ontologies can help with the formal specification of the natural language standards [SimonSpero, Richard Martin, Mark Johnson, KenBaclawski]     (1E39)

8. Synthesis and harmonization of the ontologies and standards presented in the miniseries [???]     (1E40)

[7:30] Todd Schneider: [ref. Ken's verbal comment that there are existing work that extracts     (1E41)

ontologies from the written (natural language) standards] Ken, can you provide an example?     (1E42)

[7:35] Ken Baclawski: @Todd: OASIS ICOM     (1E43)

[7:35] Michael Grüninger: Have a joint session on the OOR perspective on Ontology-based Standards /     (1E44)

This will include a summary of the standards-related ontologies that we could upload to a     (1E45)

repository. [This session can be stood up during one of the OOR Tuesday meeting slots, as the     (1E46)

OntologyBasedStandards mini-series event schedule (slated for the Thursday Ontolog event slot) is     (1E47)

already very full.     (1E48)

[7:36] Michael Grüninger: We will also invite participants of the Ontolog series to contribute their     (1E49)

standards-related ontologies to one of the repositories. This invitation will be made in the first     (1E50)

session of the mini-series     (1E51)

[7:38] Ken Baclawski: My students will be developing projects that will be relevant to ontology-based     (1E52)

standards and it would be great if they could participate in a session.     (1E53)

[7:37] Peter P. Yim: === collaboration and synergies with IAOA     (1E54)

[7:40] Till Mossakowski: Call for submission for the FOIS competition:     (1E55)

[7:43] Till Mossakowski: I have lost my Skype connection     (1E57)

[7:44] Peter P. Yim: Till / Michael / Peter: we could use this FOIS competition as a use case to drive     (1E58)

the requirements and coordinate the OOR implementations so various instances of OOR can be ready to     (1E59)

support this competition     (1E60)

[7:48] Till Mossakowski: ontology of categories that we will use for Ontohub:     (1E61)

[7:51] Michael Grüninger: @Till: Will October 1 be a good date for a session on the ontology categories?     (1E63)

[7:52] Till Mossakowski: unfortunately not     (1E64)

[7:52] Michael Grüninger: @Till: What about October 8 or 15?     (1E65)

[7:53] Till Mossakowski: have some problems here in Warsaw to find a place with WLAN *and* electric current     (1E66)

[7:53] Till Mossakowski: October 8 should work     (1E67)

[7:59] Till Mossakowski: I won't make it on Sept. 17th (on my way back from WoMo), but Daniel will present Ontohub     (1E68)

[7:58] DanielCoutoVale: danielvale [at] uni-bremen.de     (1E69)

[8:03] Peter P. Yim: === Scheduling - [consensus] we will go by the following session plans ...     (1E70)

[8:03] Peter P. Yim: Tue 2013.09.10 - OOR Hackathon-IV - chair: Till & Ken     (1E71)

[8:04] Peter P. Yim: Tue 2013.09.17 - OOR Common UI - chair: Ken with opening brief from Daniel     (1E72)

[8:04] Peter P. Yim: No OOR event on Tue 2013.09.24     (1E73)

[8:06] Peter P. Yim: Tue 2013.10.01 - regular OOR Team planning & admin meeting     (1E74)

[8:07] Peter P. Yim: Tue 2013.10.08 - "Meta-Ontology for Ontology Categories" - co-chair: Till & Michael     (1E75)

[8:09] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 8:02am PDT --     (1E76)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1E77)

6. Action items:     (1E78)

7. Any Other Business:     (1E80)

  • Those at this meeting agreed that we will start the Thu 2013.09.19 "OntologySummit2014 Topic Brainstorm Session" at 11:30am EDT / 1530 UTC (an hour earlier than the usual 12:30pm EDT / 1630 UTC)     (1E81)
  • PPY: I will be traveling on Tue 2013.09.24; if we do have a meeting, someone else will have to coordinate, run and record that (I can make the infrastructure available)     (1E82)
    • It was agreed that no OOR meeting/event will be scheduled on Tue 2013.09.24     (1E82A)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1E83)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.09.03-11:57am PDT     (1E87)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1E88)


Resources     (1F)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1F18)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1F27)