Ontology Summit 2010 Launch Event - Thu 2009-12-10
Launch Event for Ontology Summit 2010: "Creating the Ontologists of the Future"
- Co-chairs: Dr. Steve Ray & Professor BarrySmith (Ontology Summit 2010 General Co-chair)
- Content Track:
- Present: Arturo Sanchez, Antony Galton
- Future: Leo Obrst, Michael Grüninger
- Quality Track:
- Present: Arturo Sanchez, Antony Galton
- Future: Barry Smith, Nicola Guarino, Fabian Neuhaus
- Professional Context Track:
- Present: Amanda Vizedom, Ralph Hodgson
- Future: Elizabeth Florescu, Peter P. Yim
- Content Track:
- Agenda & Proceedings
- Our panel's prepared slides can be accessed by clicking on each of the title links below:
- Slides: . [ 0-Chair ] . [ 1-Sanchez-Galton ] . [ 2-Obrst-Gruninger ] . [ 3-Smith-Guarino-Neuhaus ] . [ 4-Vizedom-Hodgson ] . [ 5-Florescu-Yim ]
- [ Audio Recording of the session ] (mp3) ... (raw audio file; due to the glitches we had with the conferencing system, this recording will need to be further edited and cleaned up.)
- [ Transcript of the online chat session ] during the panel discussion
Conference Call Details
- Date: Thursday, 10-December-2009
- Start Time: 10:30am PST / 1:30pm EST / 7:30pm CET / 6:30pm GMT / 18:30 UTC
- see world clock for other time zones
- Expected Call Duration: ~1.5 hours
- Dial-in Number:
- from a US telephone (US): +1-218-844-8060 (domestic long distance cost will apply)
- When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
- from Europe, call:
- Austria 0820-4000-1577
- Belgium 070-35-9992
- France 0826-100-280
- Germany 01805-00-7642
- Ireland 0818-270-037
- Italy 848-390-179
- Spain 0902-886-056
- Switzerland 0848-560-327
- UK 0844-581-9148
- callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
- Shared-screen support (VNC session) will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/
- view-only password: "ontolog"
- if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.
- people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.
- Discussions and Q & A:
- (Unless the conference host has already muted everyone) Please mute your phone, by pressing "*2" on your phone keypad, when a presentation is in progress. To un-mute, press "*3"
- You can type in your questions or comments through the browser based chat session by:
- pointing a separate browser tab (or window) to http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room and enter: Room="ontolog_20091210" and My Name="Your Own Name" (e.g. "JaneDoe")
- or point your browser to: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/ontolog_20091210
- instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field). You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.
- (when everyone is muted) If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please "raise your hand (virtually)" by click on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the speaker or the session moderator (again, press "*3" on your phone to unmute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*2" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)
- thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) email@example.com ... Handy for mobile devices!
- For those who cannot join us, or who have further questions or remarks on the topic, please post them to the [ontology-summit] listserv so that everyone in the community can benefit from the discourse.
- Please review our Virtual Session Tips and Ground Rules - see: VirtualSpeakerSessionTips
- RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org appreciated.
- This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_12_10
- Please note that this session will be recorded, and the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.
- Registered participants:
- Steve Ray (co-chair)
- Barry Smith (co-chair)
- Mark Musen
- Peter P. Yim
- Arturo Sanchez
- Amanda Vizedom
- Michael Grüninger
- Elizabeth Florescu
- Simon Frechette
- Mark Carlisle
- Bruce Bray
- Joel Bender
- Gary Bergcross
- Brand Niemann
- Jerry Smith
- Bill Hogan
- Ravi Sharma
- Mary Brady
- Ali Hashemi
- Bonnie Swart
- Boris Shvedin
- Denise Bedford
- Cameron Ross
- Lisa Zilinski (PWC)
- Julita Bermejo-Alonso (Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Spain)
- Rex Brooks
- Meika Ungricht
- Tracy Safran (SAIC; NIH/NCI[C])
- Terry Longstreth
- Matthew Lange (UC Davis)
- Steven Wilkinson (Rockhurst University)
- David Leal
- Peter Bruhn Andersen (Denmark)
- Jim Alles (Penn State U)
- Bart Gajderowicz
- Stuart Turner
- Ken Baclawski
- Frank Olken
- John Schlichter
- Ed Dodds
- Pete Nielsen (Intellegere Foundation)
- Jeff Abbott
- Kurt Conrad
- Laurent Liscia
- Pat Cassidy
- Pavithra Kenjige
- Terry Longstreth
- My Coyne (Bioinformatics Consultant for NDAR/NIH)
- ... if you are coming to the session, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above; or e-mail <email@example.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...
- Homepage of OntologySummit2010
- Communitywide brainstorming and planning session Ontology Summit 2010 - ConferenceCall_2009_11_05
- [ontology-summit] mailing list archives - http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/
- to subscribe to this discussion list: send a blank message from your subscribing email address to <firstname.lastname@example.org> or visit http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontology-summit/ and subscribe yourself there
- Homepage of OntologySummit2009 - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2009
- Homepage of Ontology Summit 2008 - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2008
- Homepage of Ontology Summit 2007 - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007
- Homepage of UpperOntologySummit (2006) - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit
This is our 5th Ontology Summit, a joint initiative by NIST, Ontolog, NCOR, NCBO and IAOA with the support of our co-sponsors. The theme adopted for this Ontology Summit is: "Creating the Ontologists of the Future." In an earlier planning session last month, the community brainstormed on this initiative and how best to frame the issues. That and subsequent input were carefully reviewed and synthesized by the Summit Organizing Committee, and it is this plan that we will be discussing with everyone during this launch event.
This officially marks the beginning of "Ontology Summit 2010." Programs including surveys, mailing list discussions, virtual panel sessions, collaborative authoring of research studies and findings, etc. will follow in the next three months. These activities will culminate in a two-day face-to-face symposium at NIST (Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA) on 15 & 16-March-2010. At this launch, we will be introducing the "Ontology Summit 2010" objective, organization, process, deliverables and preliminary plans to you, and we welcome your ideas and participation.
See: OntologySummit2010 (home page for the project)
Agenda & Proceedings
Ontology Summit 2010 Launch
- Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call
- 1. Opening - Steve Ray / Barry Smith
- 2. we'll go around with a self-introduction of participants (All) (10~15 minutes)
- 3. Background and the Ontology Summit 2010 objectives
- 4. The organization, Process and Deliverables
- 5. Support infrastructure and Administrivia
- 6. Q & A and open discussion on what the community wants to achieve in this Summit (All ~30 min.) -- please refer to [ process above]
- 7. Conclusion / Follow-up (SteveRay - 5 minutes)
Topic: Ontology Summit 2010 Launch
- Abstract: Creating the Ontologists of the Future
- Increasingly, major national and international projects centered on ontology technology are being advanced by governments and by scientific and industrial organizations. This brings a growing need for ontology expertise and thus for new methods and institutions for the training of ontologists. The 2010 Ontology Summit will explore strategies to address this need in terms of curriculum, establishment of new career tracks, role of ontology support organizations and funding agencies, as well as training in the analysis and comparison of methodologies for designing, maintaining, implementing, testing and applying ontologies and associated tools and resources.
- The 2010 Ontology Summit officially begins with today's launch event. We are initiating a series
of topical online discussions, virtual panel sessions, etc. which will take place, virtually, in the next 3 months. All of these will come together with a face-to-face meeting on March 15 & 16 in Gaithersburg, MD, USA at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
- Transcript of the online chat during the session:
see raw transcript here.
(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)
Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.
-- begin of chat session --
Welcome to the Thu 2009-12-10 Launch Event for Ontology Summit 2010
- Co-chairs: Dr. Steve Ray & Professor Barry Smith (Ontology Summit 2010 General Co-chair)
- Ontology Summit 2010 Theme: "Creating the Ontologists of the Future"
o Content Track:
+ Present: Arturo Sanchez, Antony Galton
+ Future: Leo Obrst, Michael Grüninger
o Quality Track:
+ Present: Arturo Sanchez, Antony Galton
+ Future: Barry Smith, Nicola Guarino, Fabian Neuhaus
o Professional Context Track:
+ Present: Amanda Vizedom, Ralph Hodgson
+ Future: Elizabeth Florescu, Peter P. Yim
session page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_12_10
anonymous morphed into John Schlichter
John Schlichter: What is the URL for the presentation?
JoelNatividad: click on each item enclosed in brackets in Slides bullet
John Schlichter: thank you
anonymous1 morphed into Meika Ungricht
anonymous2 morphed into Kurt Conrad
anonymous1 morphed into Tracy Safran NCICB/EVS
John Schlichter: has joined the concall.
Laurent morphed into Laurent Liscia
anonymous1 morphed into Rex Brooks
anonymous morphed into Peter B Andersen
anonymous1 morphed into Cameron Ross
Frank Olken: I have joined the conference call.
Frank Olken: Just a reminder to NSF PI's: CISE small proposals are due on Dec. 17, 2009.
anonymous: Elizabeth joined, but I don't know how to enter my name...
Joel Bender: Elizabeth: there is a "settings" button at the top, click it.
Joel Bender: There is an option there for your name.
Elizabeth morphed into Elizabeth Florescu
Arturo Sanchez: @anonymous: press Settings
anonymous morphed into Stuart Turner
anonymous2 morphed into Barry Smith
Rex Brooks morphed into Rex Brooks
Mary Brady morphed into Mary Brady
Cameron Ross morphed into Cameron Ross
Bill Hogan morphed into Bill Hogan
anonymous morphed into Pavithra Kenjige
JoelNatividad: Gents, can you confirm that the VNC shared screen is up?
Ravi Sharma: Yes Joel
Arturo Sanchez: @JoelNatividad: it seems VNC is not up this time ... ask Peter
Ravi Sharma: Joel, Please put in password after you open the VNC in a new Window some company
firewalls do not allow so download the slides and open them please
Arturo Sanchez: Arturo Sanchez: @JoelNatividad: I take it back ... it is up ...
Tracy Safran NCICB/EVS morphed into Tracy Safran SAIC/EVS
Ravi Sharma: Barry
Ravi Sharma: Are you able to see this please unmute #3
Peter B Andersen: None of the phone numbers I have tried seems to be correct. Has any one else had
John Schlichter: Darn. I missed the intro because I had to answer the door.
Arturo Sanchez: @PeterYim: I hear OK ...
Amanda Vizedom: Steve, you are fading in and out to me
Tracy Safran SAIC/EVS: No problems hearing either of you
John Schlichter: The presenter is hard to hear.
John Schlichter: Peter is easy to hear, but Steve is not.
Peter P. Yim: Barry, we cannot hear you
Barry Smith: I am hearing you, but you seem not to be hearing me.
Ravi Sharma: Barry please press *3
Arturo Sanchez: Yes!
Arturo Sanchez: Excellent!
anonymous morphed into My Coyne
Peter P. Yim: we seem to have vnc problem too ... please run the slides on your desktops
Ravi Sharma: Barry: I agree that Ontology basics from different viewpoints should be a common
awareness baseline curriculum.
Arturo Sanchez: indeed ...
anonymous morphed into Boris Shvedin
John Schlichter: Barry commented that ontology should not be confused with semiotics or
Wittgenstein-ian language games. Should it not be confused with phenomenology as well, or is that a
relevant intellectual history?
Ravi Sharma: Barry: However I am not in favor of restricting the access to ontolog forum except by
whatever moderation that peter so kindly provides. We have to laud Peter's efforts at keeping the
forum transparent and open to the World at large. What perhaps you are meaning is that those who
claim some certification etc can have a more restricted forum such as certified ontologists. I have
for example no formal training in Ontology and i am happy to operate in open forum. If I submit a
paper, it has to be refereed etc and there are mechanisms to restrict or filter contributions. I
recommend to keep Ontolog Forum Open.
Ravi Sharma: Peter: please update VNC
Ravi Sharma: Arturo: we have to search and explore and interpret different curriculae which most
likely often are part of some domain based curriculae and also combine them with onto specific
curriculae to get a canvas of current state.
Amanda Vizedom: Don't worry, John and Ravi -- there will be *plenty* of discussion about what the
content, measures, and delivery of ontological competence are & should be. Barry shared his
motivation with us, but it is important for all to know that motivations across the Organizing
Committee are quite varied, and all expect similar variation among participants. I hope that we can
discuss these, but also - essentially - move past them to make progress on the training/education
development goals we have in common.
Ravi Sharma: Leo and Mike: Why are you excluding a Ph.D. Program in Ontology whether it is coupled
with knowledge type adjectives?
anonymous morphed into Jeff Abbott
Ravi Sharma: Mike:
John Schlichter: Amanda: thanks. Just trying to orient my listening.
JoelNatividad: Peter, Steve: I can hear Steve quite well
JoelNatividad: Perhaps, its on your end
Bart Gajderowicz: I hear the static as well.
Bruce Bray: no problem hearing Steve from my end
John Schlichter: I can hear everyone fine now.
Rex Brooks: I'm also having no trouble hearing Steve.
John Schlichter: Well, the presenter just disapeared.
Cameron Ross: A lot of baseline static here.
My Coyne: Now, I cannot hear anything..
Elizabeth Florescu: it seems that the line got cut????
GaryBergCross: I can hear everyone.
Rex Brooks: I'm now also not hearing anyone but Peter, Frank and a few others.
Steve Ray: I've lost contact also.
My Coyne: Yes I can hear steve
Steve Ray: Can't hear Arturo.
Arturo Sanchez: Can you hear me??
Cameron Ross: all clear now
Bart Gajderowicz: The static just disappeared for me as well.
John Schlichter: I seem to hear everyone except Arturo.
Steve Ray: Can't hear Arturo
Frank Olken: I can hear Steve Ray, Peter Yim, Michael Gruninger, .... but not Arturo.
Ravi Sharma: Barry: can you hear steve?
Arturo Sanchez: It seems I need to call again ... move to another track ...
Michael Grüninger: @Ravi: We are not exlcuding PhD programme; that was a small oversight in the
Ravi Sharma: Mike: We need Domain based such as Supply chain, Mfg, Financial and other practical
domains clinical practices and also professional tracks such as biology, medicine , physics etc.
JoelNatividad: +1 to Ravi's point about domains. Also, what about work on standardizing
domain-specific upper ontologies
Michael Grüninger: @Ravi : Yes, I mentioned the notion of streams for industrial application areas at
the end of my presentation (although it wasn't explicitly on the slides)
Steve Ray: Barry is now presenting.
Bart Gajderowicz: Which slides / page is Barry presenting from?
Steve Ray: Barry is on slide #2
Arturo Sanchez: I am back ... I can hear Barry ... but need to check if people will be able to hear
me ... let me know ...
Joel Bender: @Bart:
Bart Gajderowicz: thank you
Steve Ray: Arturo, I will introduce you once Barry is finished.
Steve Ray: Slide #3
Ravi Sharma: Peter VNC does not work?
anonymous morphed into JulitaBermejoAlonso
Bart Gajderowicz: Slides:
Amanda Vizedom: @John. Roger that. I would hate for anyone to think that they should not contribute,
or stick with the Summit over the next few months, because of disagreement with Barry's position (he
will be the first to say it is a controversial one). The work we will be doing over the duration of
the summit is fundamentally critical and collaborative. IMNSHO, the breadth and depth of that
critical collaboration is essential. Diversity of experience is a significant factor in whether the
Summit produces something that moves the field of ontology forward.
Ravi Sharma: Yes Amanda
Ravi Sharma: Barry: I think we have concentrated effectively on creating a practice out of what was
earlier very spotty presence encompassing almost many many disciplines, e.g. philosophy, math,
physics, computer logic, bio, various other communities including search and discovery, databases
people from many walks. Your efforts are praiseworthy to create an academic and professional
certification tracks and hopefully these will be recognized by academic bodies to design new
curriculae around them.
Arturo Sanchez: @RaviSharma: thank you Ravi ... in your suggestion you are mixing present with
future. The stance we propose we take is to first see what is out there, and also propose what we
think should be out there ... your point is well taken
anonymous morphed into Matthew Lange
John Schlichter: Amanda: I don't find Barry's thesis controversial. I prefer learning to being right.
I appreciate a distinction between ontology as metaphysics and ontology information science. The
latter grew from the former. In this regard, I wonder what Barry's comment meant that we should
disregard "irrelevant philosophical games".
JoelNatividad: @Amanda: I have so many war stories being a practitioner. Can you share your contact
Ravi Sharma: Amanda: Yes I agree, today we have to search for people today by first knowing whether
they have worked with known institutions, tools or individuals, and now I have view access to your
slides, I agree with your slides. However do you not agree that we have to have a roadmap or canvas
of knowledge-ontology-science-logic-philosophy&logic etc and practices from DARPA, Europe and Other
US Knowledge initaitives from multiple dimensions, then we can also create strategies for where the
gaps are needs are and where the efforts should be.
John Schlichter: Ontology is taught in some universities as Philosophy. This is less the case in
America, which has sucumbed to the Analytic school and focuses on language games, and used to be
more common in Europe (Continental Philosophy). This developed into very practical scientific
methods for practicing ontology. Thus there are already relevant curriculums.
anonymous morphed into Ed Dodds
Rex Brooks: Don't we need to understand the marketplace in the sense of educating that marketplace
about the potential value of ontologists?
Amanda Vizedom: @Joel Yes, and a tip for you and others looking for Ontolog member contact info:
Looking at the Wiki page for the session, you'll see that many names are hyperlinks. Click on the
name and you will get the person's profile. Many folks, including me, have contact info on there
(slightly obfuscated to prevent spambot harvesting).
Ravi Sharma: Elizabeth and Peter: Do you think a narrative section or some comment section for
justifying or explaining the rationale for their choices on this questionaire would provide
reasoning tracking capability of their answers?
Rex Brooks: Who is the audience and are they ready to understand the value of ontology?
Ravi Sharma: Elizabeth & Peter: explaining reasoning is important to create a case based reasoning
type automation for the future ontology analyses.
Rex Brooks: Yes that was addressed to the speaker.
Rex Brooks: How can a questionnaire help us understand this readiness.
Peter P. Yim: @Amanda: one interesting question would be ... "how are expectations from ontologists
different from those of knowledge engineers of the past?"
Ravi Sharma: Rex: I think it at least starts with peergroup capture of current state of ontology
training and curriculum awareness.
Rex Brooks: I accept that, Ravi, but we also need to push it out beyond that.
Elizabeth Florescu: to Ravi Sharma: yes, the reasoning adds a lot of information on the present and
Elizabeth Florescu: to Rex Brooks: the audience at this point is the ontology community itself; but
the results, digested and integrated in the final document will be directed to the audience of this
Ravi Sharma: Amanda: thanks, I agree we will have more time to discus these during this period.
Ravi Sharma: Peter: What are the different ways such as articles, presentations, by which we can
participate and contribute to this summit from now on?
Bonnie Swart: Shouldn't we have an "ontology professional" ontology? We could model each track's
topics from the perspective of the ontologist: education, certification, skills, employers and
organizations, projects, etc.
Ravi Sharma: Bonnie great idea. I agree even if do not have a full solution, at least it will demo
power of logic and relationships.
Ed Dodds: For building the "value case", analysts at institutional investment houses need to be
targeted for education so that firms recognized as utilizing ontologies will be seen as more
efficient (and then, by extension, more profitable).
Arturo Sanchez: @BonnieSwart: good point Bonnie! We actually talked about that and started putting a
draft concept map together. We invested much time in trying to come to agree on names for concepts
and relationships, and realized that for the purpose of eliciting the structure of the summit it was
probably an over-kill. However, if you are interested, this would be a neat and useful contribution.
Are you willing to contribute with this?
Ravi Sharma: Rex: Peergroup input and technology forecasting methods such as old DELPHI etc? this
certainly needs to capture reasoning behind practicing professionals logic and reasoning in
depicting current and future projections.
Terry Longstreth: @Ravi&Bonnie; sounds like could become an ACM Special Interest Group (SIGONTO?)
Ravi Sharma: Arturo:I would like to provide inputs to this effort and collaborate.
Amanda Vizedom: @John: Like Barry, I am a philosopher by training. As you may guess, we might be seen
as representing very different schools of thought (and, I believe, different subfields). We share a
deep commitment to formal correctness and logical roots. Perhaps as a consequence of different
philosophical stances, we often differ regarding how elements of the working context *should* or
- should not* change the very nature of quality and correctness generally, and the skills needed.
John Schlichter: Examples where ontology is being used? How about analysis of cyber activity and
social networks to gauge intentions and threats?
Ravi Sharma: Great comment from the speaker(?) the very observation disturbs the experiment's current
state, except for thought experiments of Einstein?
Amanda Vizedom: A side effect of the Professional Context survey might well be a better sense of the
running projects that use ontology.
John Schlichter: Amanda: Like you and barry, I too am a philosopher by training. Also am a management
consultant by training and vocation. Ontology became an operational science in the 1930's with works
like Husserl's "Crisis of the European Sciences" which outlined the phenomenological technique as
the foundation of modern science. Those are the techniques that have evolved into ontology as
information science focusing on the formal representation of a set of concepts within a domain and
the relationships between those concepts.
JoelNatividad: Another example: We're using it for semantic integration at a major pharma of several
datasources - think of it as Enterprise Application Integration 2.0 (3.0?)
Bonnie Swart: @ Arturo & Ravi: Yes, I'd be happy to collaborate with Ravi and anyone else who would
be interested in creating an ontologist ontology. (My very first ontology was an "ontology"
ontology, so there's a neat alignment with the idea of building an "ontologist" ontology!)
Ravi Sharma: Barry and Amanda: There are many Ontology based applications in Bio, Bioinformatics
(genetics) and Medicine (SNOMED) and many new initiatives in NIC, NIH etc. But I feel even there we
do not clearly understand how to integrate or interoperate different levels or cross ontology
Ed Dodds: There are many business folks who understand the value of taxonomies -- and I think can be
persuaded that, by analog, ontologies will be beneficial.
John Schlichter: To Barry's original point, a way to advance ontology is to distinguish what ontology
Ravi Sharma: Yes Thanks Peter.
Amanda Vizedom: @EdDodds -- Indeed! As I learned at Taxonomy Boot Camp a few weeks ago, and learned
much about the road from there. I was pleased to learn of the extent to which folks in that world
are reaching up the semantic spectrum on their own.
Arturo Sanchez: @Bonnie & Ravi: great! Please, do collaborate on that ... and--if you do not
mind--keep me in the loop as I am very interested in the exercise ... my contact is on the slides I
presented today and also on my Ontolog entry. I also see Ravi's contact at his Ontolog entry, but do
not see yours.
Ed Dodds: The push toward international accounting standards, xbrl is a current situation which can
be used as a teaching example of a community becoming aware of the utility of a standardized
Bonnie Swart: @John: one of the first topics I address when introducing any ontology-based idea is
titled "What is an Ontology and, More Importantly, What isn't".
Tracy Safran SAIC/EVS: Is there a central wiki with information on people/projects/training?
John Schlichter: @Bonnie: do you have a presentation on that topic?
Bonnie Swart: @John: not really; I usually address the "What isn't" part in one or two slides,
tailored to a specific audience.
Ravi Sharma: Arturo: Thanks and Steve Ray many thanks.
Ravi Sharma: Also Barry many thanks.
Arturo Sanchez: @Ravi: my pleasure.
Bonnie Swart: @Arturo: I keep forgetting to update my wiki page -- I'll put my info up later today.
John Schlichter: @Amanda: thanks. Please connect with me at jschlichter-at-opmexperts.com.
Amanda Vizedom: @Bonnie, Ravi, John: Yes. It's important to know, though, that many people have
advanced such models, mostly based on a particular theory or opinion exclusively. We need the
critical collaboration to get a more informed answer.
Arturo Sanchez: @Bonnie&Ravi: Great! look forward to cooperating with both of you
JoelNatividad: @Peter: To the wiki question, will there be a new purple wiki using PMWX/SMW (as a
sem wiki advocate) for the initiative?
Peter P. Yim: @Joel ... yes, PSMW (purple semantic media wiki) ... that's the plan ... Ken Baclawski's
team (NEU) and my team (CIM3) are working on content migration now
Steve Ray: Thanks for your participation. Talk to you all soon.
Arturo Sanchez: @all: gotta go now ... great session ... thanks y'all
Peter P. Yim: Thank you, everyone ... great session ... bye!
JoelNatividad: plaudits to all the speakers, and especially to Peter!
Peter P. Yim: Thanks, Joel.
-- end of chat session --
- ... More Questions
- For those who have further questions or remarks on the topic, please post them to the [ontology-summit] so that everyone in the community can benefit from the discourse ... or, see the next section (below) on how you can participate, if you aren't already a member of the community.)
- Please mark your calendars - next session (same time next Thursday): Thu 2009.12.17 - Ontology Summit 2010 virtual panel session-1: Surveying the Landscape and the Possibilities - developing agenda will be at: ConferenceCall_2009_12_17
An Open Invitation
If you do find this initiative interesting or useful, we cordially invite you to join us in the "Ontology Summit 2010" virtual discourse that will be taking place in the next 3 months or so, and to the face-to-face workshop that will be held on 15 & 16-March-2010 as part of the NIST Interoperability Week in Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA.
- To participate in Ontology Summit 2010 virtual discourse, please refer to details here
- Join us at some of the upcoming virtual panel discussion (on the Ontolog Forum) on this year's summit topics. Watch for the announcements!
- Registration for the face-to-face workshop (Mon & Tue 2009.03.15 & 16) will be announced later. Please be on the look out for it!
- Session ended 2009.12.10 11:59am PST
Audio Recording of this Session
(the recording below represents the raw audio file; due to the glitches we had with the conferencing system, this recording will need to be further edited and cleaned up, when we can get around to it.)
- To download the audio recording of the session, click here
- the playback of the audio files require the proper setup, and an MP3 compatible player on your computer.
- Conference Date and Time: 10-Dec-2009 10:39~11:59am Pacific Standard Time
- Duration of Recording: 1 Hour 22.5 Minutes
- Recording File Size: 9.5 MB (in mp3 format)
- suggestion: its best that you listen to the session while having the slide presentation opened in front of you. You'll be prompted to advance slides by the speaker.
- Take a look, also, at the rich body of knowledge that this community has built together, over the years, by going through the archives of noteworthy past Ontolog events. (References on how to subscribe to our podcast can also be found there.)
For the record ...
How To Join (while the session is in progress)
- 1. Dial in with a phone: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_12_10#nid23N3
- 2. Open chat in a new browser window: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/ontolog_20091210
- 3. Download presentations for each speaker here: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_12_10#nid23MX
- or, 3.1 (access our shared-screen vnc server, if you are not behind a corporate firewall)