From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2012_09_18     (1)

This is a regular OOR Team meeting. ... please refer also to proceedings from the last team meeting at OOR/ConferenceCall_2012_08_07     (1A)

  • Dial-in:     (1B4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1B4A)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer)     (1B4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1B4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1B4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1B4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1B4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1B4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please stay with (or downgrade to) Skype version 2.x for now (as a Dial pad seems to be missing on Linux-based Skype v4.x for skype-calls.)     (1B4B3B)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1B5)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1B5A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1B5B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1B5C)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1B6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1B6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20120918@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1B6C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1B7)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1B7A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1B7B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1B7C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1B7D)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1B9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1B11)

Attendees     (1C)

  • Expecting:     (1C2)
    • (please add yourself to the list above if you are a member of the community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with the event title/date and your name and affiliation)     (1C3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1C5)

  • upcoming activities / virtual-session planning     (1C5A)
  • Member activities updates     (1C5B)
  • action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies)     (1C5C)
  • coordination for getting work funded     (1C5D)
  • OOR: sandbox, devbox, test-instance, socop, colore, ornl-daac, mmi-orr, new ncbo-appliance, ... status update and coordination     (1C5E)
  • Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box     (1C5F)
  • ... (add yours!)     (1C5G)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1D4)

2. Roll Call:     (1D8)

3. Status Review and Discussion:     (1D11)

3.1 Team priority: Review and update our "Most Critical Task(s) At Hand" list ... (skipping this item)     (1D12)

3.2 previous action item (from the 2012.08.07 meeting) status update:     (1D14)

3.3 Relevant Announcements and Reports (from members)     (1D16)

  • Peter / Michael / Ken / Eric - talked a little bit about the upcoming "Ontology-based Standards" collaboration     (1D17)

... most of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses ...     (1D19)

4. Key items for discussion:     (1D20)

  • 4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D23)
    • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1D23A)
      • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1D23A1)
    • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1D23B)
      • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1D23B1)
    • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1D23C)
      • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1D23C1)
        • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1D23C1A)
        • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1D23C1B)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D27)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1D27A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1D29)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1D30)

Chat transcript from room: oor_20120918     (1D31)

2012-09-18 GMT-08:00 [timestamps in PDT]     (1D32)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1D33)

[08:26] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1D34)

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2012_09_18     (1D35)

[08:29] Peter P. Yim: Hi Mike!     (1D38)

[08:38] Peter P. Yim: -- session started: 8:38am PDT --     (1D39)

[09:03] Todd Schneider: Have to go.     (1D40)

[09:16] Peter P. Yim: == ref. the upcoming "Ontology-based Standards" sessions - Oct-15, Nov-8, ... and beyond     (1D41)

[09:18] Ken Baclawski: Translations to formal languages can provide validation opportunities that     (1D42)

are complementary to the natural language specification.     (1D43)

[09:29] Eric Chan: Ontological representations (such as OWL, UML, Common Logic) by faithful translations     (1D44)

from textual "informal" standard specifications is analogous to the use of formal models (such as     (1D45)

Petri Nets, Finite State Machines, Temporal Logic, etc.) to support the textual "informal" specifications     (1D46)

of lower-level communication protocols. It is essential in formalizing protocols in order to verify the     (1D47)

correctness of protocols (safety, liveness, fairness, etc). We should propose that ontology is equally     (1D48)

essential for new higher-level protocols involving richer data and semantics).     (1D49)

[09:15] Peter P. Yim: @MichaelGruninger - on the question about "expectations" of a co-organizer for the     (1D50)

"Ontology-based Standards" effort -     (1D51)

(i) someone from the co-organizer working on organizing and presenting at the events, and     (1D52)

(ii) be ready to endorse a statement that says "Ontology-based Standards is good and we     (1D53)

(the co-organizers) are behind it!"     (1D54)

[09:22] Mike Dean: ... report on the experience at: http://vocamp.org/wiki/GeoVoCampDayton2012     (1D55)

[09:41] Michael Grüninger: will use the 2012_10_16 slot for the "OOR-Content: FOIS Ontologies" session     (1D56)

(instead of making it an OOR-Metadata session as originally planned)     (1D57)

[09:42] Peter P. Yim: also, 2012_10_23 - Tuesday: "Getting OOR Development Going - Take-IX" Workshop     (1D58)

- Chair: Mike Dean & Michael Grüninger ... Michael will try to engage Till Mossakowski, and hopefully,     (1D59)

through this session, start getting more integration between the Ontohub and the OOR activities     (1D60)

[09:37] Peter P. Yim: Peter / Mike / Ken: ref. the OOR instance - let do one more role out of a BioPortal     (1D61)

vm-appliance based OOR (probably their Nov-2012 version) before we will go with building from the code-repository     (1D62)

[09:37] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 9:38am PDT --     (1D63)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1D64)

5. Any Other Business:     (1D65)

6. Action items:     (1D67)

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1D69)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2012.09.18-9:48am PDT     (1D73)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1D74)


Resources     (1E)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1E16)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1E24)