From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2012_08_07     (1)

This is a regular OOR Team meeting. ... please refer also to proceedings from the last team meeting at OOR/ConferenceCall_2012_07_10     (1A)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1B6)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1B6A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1B6B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please point your browser directly to the [ slides] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1B6C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1B7)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1B9)

Attendees     (1C)

Agenda Ideas     (1C4)

  • upcoming activities / virtual-session planning     (1C4A)
  • Member activities updates     (1C4B)
  • action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies)     (1C4C)
  • coordination for getting work funded     (1C4D)
  • OOR: sandbox, devbox, test-instance, socop, colore, ornl-daac, mmi-orr, new ncbo-appliance, ... status update and coordination     (1C4E)
  • Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box     (1C4F)
  • ... (add yours!)     (1C4G)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1D4)

2. Roll Call:     (1D8)

3. Status Review and Discussion:     (1D11)

  • previous action item (from the 2012.07.10 meeting) status update:     (1D13)
    • Michael Grüninger will organize a discussion of "Ontology Registry and Repository" and "Ontologies and Standards" during the Jul-17 session; as a preparation for the Jul-25 IAOA session at FOIS where those two SIGs will be discussed     (1D13A)
      • Michael: had a really good discussion on 7/25 (at FOIS) during the IAOA Technical Committee+SIG; the Jul-17 OOR session was productive in helping generate ideas and energy.     (1D13A1)
    • Ken Baclawski will try to explore collaboration with OASIS during the upcoming Jul-25 OASIS AGM (at Burlington, MA)     (1D13B)
      • Ken: had this meeting on 7/25, fairly small meeting, I was new in the group, and people were friendly and receptive. Besides co-chairing ICOM, I have also joined the OASIS OData TC.     (1D13B1)
    • we will start to have regular "OOR-Funding workshops" (similar to ones we are having for Architecture+API, Metadata, Code-development, etc.) Ken Baclawski will champion this.     (1D13C)
      • it would be necessary to involve domain people (as pure infrastructure, is difficult to get funded). Will plan to draw these people into the conversation.     (1D13C1)
    • Peter P. Yim will update the "Priorities & Most Critical Tasks At Hand" list, in accordance with today's discussion, at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository#nid17YH ... (Done! --ppy/2012.07.10-10:04am PDT)     (1D13D)
  • Report from FOIS     (1D14)
    • at FOIS, we had two session, one on "Ontologies and Standards" and "Ontology Registry and Repository." Focusing on the latter now ... few have heard of OOR, but most are excited to hear about it. There's a "virtual factory floor" who will be interested to upload their ontologies to OOR. There is also an interest to migrate TONES to an OOR instance, as their funding is gone now.     (1D14A)
      • Michael nominated Ken to chair the IAOA "Ontology Registry and Repository" Technical Committee. Those at the FOIS meeting supported the idea. Todd and Peter seconded that too. Michael shall continue to be the IAOA EC Liaison for that Technical Committee. ref. http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA#nid2HWG     (1D14A1)
      • an idea was tossed around that when a paper is submitted to FOIS, if it has an ontology, the ontology gets uploaded to an OOR instance.     (1D14A2)
    • Michael / Todd / Peter: Common Logic, OOR, or even IAOA need to get their names out a lot more. Surprised that most people from EU have not heard of the first two.     (1D14B)
  • Report from IAOA Summer School     (1D15)
    • Todd: the IAOA Summer School was very interesting. Also helped fill in some knowledge gaps I had that I did not realize before.     (1D15A)
    • Todd: I will start making noise about the need for the applied ontology community to putting together a lexicon for the domain.     (1D15B)
  • Report from OASIS     (1D16)
      • in contrast, academics are not key in OASIS     (1D16A1)
      • OASIS is very open, other SDO's (Standard Development Organization) usually aren't, and they do most of their work virtually.     (1D16A2)
      • the big thing now is the "Cloud" - dealing with standards relating to "Cloud Computing."     (1D16A3)
      • a new TC (Technical Committee) is OData (with Microsoft and IBM behind it ... and somewhat competing with the GData effort backed by Google).     (1D16A4)
        • they actually used the word "ontology" by meant something like terminology in xml     (1D16A4A)
      • Ken: if we (OOR) were to engage OASIS, we need to consider supporting XML & XML Schema too     (1D16A5)
        • they (OASIS) like the idea to move toward "more semantics" and move from XML to RDF & OWL     (1D16A5A)
      • Ken: our engagement with OASIS would also be relevant to the IAOA "Standards Coordination"     (1D16A6)

4. Key items for discussion:     (1D17)

  • 4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D20)
    • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1D20A)
      • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1D20A1)
    • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1D20B)
      • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1D20B1)
    • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1D20C)
      • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1D20C1)
        • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1D20C1A)
        • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1D20C1B)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D24)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1D24A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1D26)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1D27)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1D28)

[08:32] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1D29)

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2012_08_07     (1D30)

Proceedings:     (1D34)

[08:32] Todd Schneider: I can only stay for the first half hours.     (1D35)

[08:58] Michael Grüninger: Report from IAOA Technical Committee Meeting at FOIS:     (1D37)

1) ontologies presented at the Workshop on Ontologies for Semantic Manufacturing will be uploaded to     (1D38)

an OOR instance by their respective developers.     (1D39)

2) The TONES Repository from Manchester will be migrated to an OOR instance     (1D40)

[09:00] Michael Grüninger: Ken Baclawski is nominated to be Chair of the IAOA Technical Committee on Ontology Registries and Repositories     (1D41)

[08:57] Peter P. Yim: ref. IAOA Technical Committees & SIGs - see where things stand now: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA#nid2HWG     (1D42)

... Michael confirms that he will serve as the IAOA "Ontology Registry and Repository" Technical Committee EC (Executive Council) Liaison     (1D43)

[09:09] Todd Schneider: Michael, I'll send you the note/request I sent to the summer school lectures asking them     (1D44)

to provide their definitions of a list a of terms (derived from the lectures). I've already sent these material to Leo.     (1D45)

[09:12] Peter P. Yim: @Todd - consider posting that to the [iaoa-member] list too, that is a members only list     (1D46)

[09:43] Peter P. Yim: with the Semantic Web folks putting a focus on LOD, essentially taking the focus of their effort     (1D47)

from semantic interoperability to structural interoperability, I think we have a huge opportunity and a void we can fill,     (1D48)

and at the same time push for adoption, helping people attain "semantic interoperability"     (1D49)

[09:44] Peter P. Yim: we need to strategize ... more workshop topics, for sure     (1D50)

[09:45] Michael: OOR can be the goto place for examples of ontologies for people     (1D51)

[10:00] Ken Baclawski: There is a library standard called FRBR which is relatively vague but seems to be     (1D52)

heading toward some kind of semantics of what one has in a library.     (1D53)

[10:04] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 10:03am PDT --     (1D54)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1D55)

5. Any Other Business:     (1D56)

6. Action items:     (1D58)

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1D60)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2012.08.07-10:05am PDT     (1D64)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1D65)


Resources     (1E)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1E15)
    • 2011_10_20 - Thursday: Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series session-1: Introducing the ISO NP 17347 "Ontology Integration and Interoperability (OntoIOp)" Standardization Effort - Co-chairs: John Bateman & Michael Grüninger - ConferenceCall_2011_10_20     (1E15A)
    • 2011_11_03 - Thursday: Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series session-2: Invited Speaker: Elisa Kendall on "Ontology-Related Metadata Standards" - Co-chairs: Michael Grüninger & John Bateman - ConferenceCall_2011_11_03     (1E15B)
    • 2012_07_17 - Tuesday: Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series session-3: "Standardisation Coordination and Ontology Repositories" - Co-chairs: Michael Grüninger & John Bateman - ConferenceCall_2012_07_17     (1E15C)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1E22)