From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-07-09     (1)

  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1A6)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1A8)

Attendees     (1C)

Agenda Ideas     (1D)

please insert below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1D1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1E1)

2. Roll Call:     (1E6)

3. Status Review and Discussion:     (1E9)

  • Review of our priority list: ... (skipping discussion this time, due to long agenda)     (1E12)
    • 1. continue to push OOR development and get more contributors ... [All]     (1E12A)
    • 2. set up policies and process for contributing to OOR work     (1E12B)
      • setup clear and easy policies and process to engage developers and have them contribute code ... [champion: MikeDean]     (1E12B1)
      • build out "gatekeeping" and move from just having an OOR-sandbox to having available instances of an OOR-sandbox and an OOR-production ... [champion: KenBaclawski]     (1E12B2)
      • setup clear and easy policies and process to engage content stewards and have them contribute ontologies to our public instance of OOR     (1E12B3)
    • 3. systematically solicit content contributions [champions: Pat Cassidy & DeniseBedford]     (1E12C)
    • 4. get the work funded ... [champion: KenBaclawski]     (1E12D)
    • 5. regularly review requirements and existing standards to make sure we are on track ... [All]     (1E12E)
    • 6. continue with efforts in publicity and outreach ... [All]     (1E12F)

Key items for discussion at this call:     (1E13)

  • a brief report on the OOR presentation at SemTech2010     (1E14)
    • Mike Dean and Peter P. Yim reported on the OOR presentation made by them and Todd Schneider (remotely) at SemTech2010, which was very well received     (1E14A)
    • the impression from SemTech2010 was that the conference was well attended (a 30% increase in attendance), the technology is maturing, vendor participation was strong, technology and products are maturing, and there's a considerable buzz over "linked data" and data.gov     (1E14B)
    • Peter also mentioned that he has agreed with Ian Horrocks during SemTech2010 and has invited Ian to speak at Ontolog, and to chair two sessions on OWL 2. These have been scheduled, respectively for Jul-22, Jul-29 & Aug-5. Look out for the official announcement.     (1E14C)
      • The Aug-5 session will be on "OWL 2: Tools and Applications" and will be featuring the latest Protege, Pellet, ICOM (Oracle & DERI, possibly with the Ontolog dataset), and more ...     (1E14C1)
      • Leo Obrst and Ravi Sharma also suggested inviting over the Franz / AllegroGraph folks (a RDF triple-store vendor) at some point ... Peter concurred, and said we should try to create an opportunity some time, possibly by asking Kurt Conrad and Duane Nickull to put together another one of their "Ontology Applications & Implementations" sessions again.     (1E14C2)
  • Schedule a next Joint SIO-OOR-Ontolog panel session - in particular, arrange for a HeTS / COLORE demo and update [JohnBateman, Michael Grüninger, JohnSowa]. ... We almost scheduled this for Jul-8 (yesterday), but finally decided that we had better do this later.     (1E15)
    • Michael Grüninger: not quite ready yet, I will coordinate with John Bateman to come up with a date for the HeTS / COLORE presentation     (1E15A)
      • Peter: even what was shown as FOIS would be of interest, and can start meaningful discussions among the OOR team members (since a lot of the members here did not have a chance to see that at FOIS in May-2010 at Toronto.     (1E15A1)
  • tie down a prelim mini-series plan, and some dates for the Joint OOR-Ontolog-NCBO "IPR" Panel Sessions [PeterYim, Cameron Ross, Dave Rubenson, MarkMusen]     (1E16)
    • 3 sessions planned - (a) an exposition of the state of relevant IPR regimes, (b) what are the IPR issues relating to ontologies & ontology repositories, and (c) discussion and consensus on what licensing arrangements would be best suited for the OOR Initiative.     (1E16A)
    • tentatively: Thu Aug-19, Sep-9 & Sep-16     (1E16B)
  • schedule a session to discuss how we should manage to incorporate various ongoing OOR-related software development efforts, and how best to "branch" form the BioPortal codebase, and stay synergistic.     (1E18)

... some of the items on the page now are from the previous call(s), and will be updated as we progressed on this meeting.     (1E20)

  1. upgrading to BioPortal v2.5     (1E21)
    • want to update the OOR-sandbox asap awaiting a response from Paul Alexander or anyone from NCBO or Stanford-BMIR (to give us the tag# of the code to install)     (1E22A)
    • beware of the demo at SemTech on Thu 2010.06.24 ... we don't want the OOR-sandbox to be down that day     (1E22B)
    • Peter will talk to Natasha et al. to find out status, and get a recommendation on whether or not we should do the upgrade to the OOR-sandbox before or after the SemTech demo.     (1E22C)
  1. installation support - vm install images; install scripts     (1E23)
    • install templates, image downloads etc. will be at <oor-00.cim3.net>     (1E24A)
      • Ken: NEU will possibly provide a mirror site to serve downloads too     (1E24A1)
    • Ken: some issues     (1E24B)
      • we'll be supporting both VMware and Xen, on guest OS: [[CentOS]]     (1E24B1)
      • supporting 32-bit single cpu; 2GB ram requirement;     (1E24B2)
      • stock content: pizza, UCDO (use cases description ontology)     (1E24B3)
        • Todd also suggests BFO and DOLCE (Pat: the latter is only useful in FOL with its axioms)     (1E24B3A)
        • Peter: would love to host an owl version of COSMO when Pat feels comfortable to     (1E24B3B)
      • Mike: offering to do testing for the image (as a local backup for the upcoming demo) - running VMware on the MAC     (1E24B4)
      • what version will be have images for: in the beginning it will be driven by this group (people coming to the OOR-team meeting)     (1E24B5)
      • Mike: please look into the ability to help load existing contents quickly (on top of stock contents)     (1E24B6)
  1. a brief on the ORES-2010 workshop [AlexGarcia, Mathieu Daquin, Christoph Lange, KimViljanen et al.]     (1E25)
  1. intro of OOR-related work that's starting at ORNL [LinePouchard, Mouna Kettani, et al.]     (1E27)
  1. organization and planning status on the Joint OOR-NCBO-Ontolog "IPR" Panel Sessions ... and picking dates for the session(s) - Peter P. Yim, Cameron Ross, Dave Rubenson     (1E29)
  1. organization and planning status on the two tracks of the "Content" Panel Sessions ... and picking new labels and dates - Pat Cassidy & Denise Bedford     (1E31)
  2. Schedule a next OOR-SIO panel session     (1E32)
  1. reports on member activities that are OOR-related     (1E34)

New Issues:     (1E36)

Any Other Business:     (1E37)

Action items:     (1E38)

Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1E43)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2010.07.09-10:30am PDT     (1E47)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1E48)


Resources     (1F)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1F19)