From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-04-16     (1)

  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1A5)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1A7)

Attendees     (1C)

  • Expecting:     (1C2)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1C3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1D)

please insert below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1D1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1E1)

2. Roll Call:     (1E5)

3. Status Review and Discussion:     (1E8)

  • Review of our priority list:     (1E11)
    • 1. continue to push OOR development and get more contributors ... [All]     (1E11A)
    • 2. set up policies and process for contributing to OOR work     (1E11B)
      • setup clear and easy policies and process to engage developers and have them contribute code ... [champion: MikeDean]     (1E11B1)
      • build out "gatekeeping" and move from just having an OOR-sandbox to having available instances of an OOR-sandbox and an OOR-production ... [champion: KenBaclawski]     (1E11B2)
      • setup clear and easy policies and process to engage content stewards and have them contribute ontologies to our public instance of OOR     (1E11B3)
    • 3. systematically solicit content contributions [champions: Pat Cassidy & DeniseBedford]     (1E11C)
    • 4. get the work funded ... [champion: KenBaclawski]     (1E11D)
    • 5. regularly review requirements and existing standards to make sure we are on track ... [All]     (1E11E)
    • 6. continue with efforts in publicity and outreach ... [All]     (1E11F)

... some of the items below are from the previous call(s), and will be updated as we progressed on this meeting.     (1E19)

  • postmortem on the recent SIO-OOR session and the OOR-Use Cases session on the Ontolog Forum, ref.     (1E20)
      • Peter: great session!     (1E20A1)
      • Michael / Cameron / Peter / Ken: still need more clarity ... need to prompt John F. Sowa for a mission statement     (1E20A2)
      • Pat: SIO is a collection of ontologies or ontology modules and may be looked at as a part of OOR ... the set of ontologies that John is talking about (in SIO) is one set (of possibly more than one)     (1E20A3)
      • Todd: was "architecture of ontologies" brought up     (1E20A4)
        • Michael: not quite ... but maybe that should be the mission statement of SIO; speakers did offer a modularity approach (architecturally) - work from UToronto and Bremen     (1E20A4A)
        • Leo: there is a book coming up (not published up)     (1E20A4B)
        • Jim: in our [energy-water-nexus] initiative, we are wrestling with this too     (1E20A4C)
      • Cory: appreciated SIO as an overarching vision (and architecture) on how ontologies can interoperate and integrate that is riding on the OOR repository infrastructure to manage it     (1E20A5)
      • Cameron: not clear on the scope of OOR use cases ... especially whether it include application develops as actors ... essentially, intended uses     (1E20B1)
      • Matt: Potentially anyone in any role (any group of actors interacting for some purpose) could use the OOR to e.g. help address the general problem of semantic interoperabilty. Lawyers, CxOs, application developers (and applications), process, service, data architects / engineers, etc. etc.     (1E20B2)
      • Cory: looking for OOR to fit into a wider architecture ecosystem, a heterogeneous architectural environment     (1E20B3)
        • Todd: we might still need another layer between OOR and your heterogeneous architectural environment     (1E20B3A)
        • Michael: don't conflate formality with the richness of axioms     (1E20B3B)
      • Peter: please keep the project implemented oriented ... OOR should be more than just discussion     (1E20B4)
      • Ken: as Matt pointed out, the runtime use cases has not been included yet     (1E20B5)
  • reports on regular items member activities that are OOR-related     (1E23)
  • planning for upcoming virtual panel sessions on (i) Content, (ii) Use Cases, and (iii) IPR     (1E24)
    • Content Panel - candidate co-champions: Pat Cassidy, Denise Bedford ... (AldoGangemi (Michael will contact)?)     (1E24A)
        • Q1. how are we related to other similar work? ... Peter explained the relationship between BioPortal and OOR     (1E24A1A)
        • Q2. any discussion on how ontologies will be indexed? ... Mike: reference made to Ontology Summit 2008     (1E24A1B)
        • Pat will help upload some ontologies to the OOR-sandbox (v.2) in the near future -- those he uploaded previously to the v.1 sandbox, updated, and add ontologies like SUMO (in OWL), etc.     (1E24A1C)
        • Pat: suggest we add a link to swoogle (and other ontology search engine) too, to allow people to search, both within and without the OOR.     (1E24A1D)
        • Peter suggest we be aware that we need the entire content spectrum from ontology-light to FOL-ontologies     (1E24A1E)
        • Pat will contact Denise and come back with a date selection within a week -- candidate date Mar-25     (1E24A1F)
  • "Content" Panels     (1E25)
    • now split into two tracks - one each to be championed by Pat and Denise - Pat: "Formal Ontology Content" ... we'll await for Denise to give us her label     (1E25A)
    • Mar-25 being deferred, Pat and Denise will pick another date shortly     (1E25B)
    • contact with Aldo Gangemi, Michael Uschold as presenters     (1E25C)
    • Pat ask Michael if he plans to import ontolingua content into COLORE ... and Michael responded "yes ... some"     (1E25D)
    • Pat will be putting up a wiki page to capture ontologies that will participate in "content"     (1E25E)
      • Peter: suggest referencing the Protege wiki page and Aldo Gangemi & MichaelUschold's example ontologies pages to help with our page design (or even coordinate with Michael on it.)     (1E25E1)
    • Peter: suggest we don't led people to be believe we (members of the OOR team) will volunteer to upload and maintain those ontologies. We need to distribute that work (and responsibility) to the original owner/custodian of each ontology     (1E25F)
    • Pat will circulate the open solicitation letter to the [oor-forum] list real soon     (1E25G)
  • OOR-work Progress at NEU:     (1E31)
    • Ken: students have produce a few hundred use cases (lots of duplicates, of course) -- not exactly OOR, but related, with emphasis in gatekeeping ... project is actually called "Keeper"     (1E31A)
    • Ken: students are interested in getting their work licensed and published/released.     (1E31B)
      • have instructed student to consider picking some Creative Commons or Open Source Licence     (1E31B1)
    • Ken/2010.04.16: use cases description ontology now online     (1E31C)
    • Ken/2010.04.16: gatekeeping codes will be ready fairly soon     (1E31D)
  • OOR-work Progress at Raytheon-BBN:     (1E32)
    • Jim: reported on progress with federation work ... (Jim, Dan or Mike: please elaborate here, if you can get around to it.)     (1E32A)
      • Jim's development OOR instance is able to federate from oor-01f (as the remote host) ... it works pretty well (and updates every minute!)     (1E32A1)
      • Jim will be presenting their work on Feb-19     (1E32A2)
    • Mike / Jim: we could offer this back to the BioPortal folks, and this could be discussed during the Feb-19 session     (1E32B)
    • Mike/2010.03.19: Jim and Dan has left BBN, therefore no new development for a little while     (1E32C)
      • next move is to migrate the BBN SVN content to semwebcentral (but probably not within the next two weeks)     (1E32C1)
    • Todd/2010.04.16 - still need to stand up an instance at Raytheon ... can't quite access the BBN instance yet     (1E32D)
  • SIO Project     (1E38)
    • try to come up with more clarity as to what should be discussed under SIO and/or OOR (ONTOLOG too, for that matter) and possibly even start a fix meeting schedule for SIO-dev work     (1E38A)
    • Cameron: we probably should wait till we have the SIO Mission Statement from John F. Sowa before trying to make this conversation     (1E38B)
    • Peter: since [sio-dev] is intended for implementation level conversation, and we aren't quite implementing things yet, maybe most of the discussions that are going on at [sio-dev] now actually belongs to [ontolog-forum] (those specific to OOR may possibly be on [oor-forum]) and then we should only start using [sio-dev] after we have started to implement things (similar to the case on how [oor-dev] is being used.)     (1E38C)

4. New Issues:     (1E40)

5. Any Other Business:     (1E41)

6. Action items:     (1E42)

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1E43)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2010.04.16-10:43am PDT     (1E47)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1E48)


Resources     (1F)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1F19)