From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-10-29     (1)

Since we have some new people on the call, we took inventory on where things stand with the OOR project, and planned out one more panel session "(Post-BioPortal fork) OOR Architecture and API - Take-II" to explore more options and continue discussion on the subject.     (1A)

... Please refer also to the notes from the last regular meeting at: OOR/ConferenceCall 2010_10_01 and the three recent pertinent sessions:     (1B)

... note, in particular, the start time of this meeting is three hours earlier than before (9:00am, rather than 12:00noon EDT)     (1F)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1H5)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1H5A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1H5B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides below] (associated with the respective agenda item) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1H5C)
  • Discussion, Questions & Remarks:     (1H6)
    • (Unless the conference host has already muted everyone) Please mute your phone, by pressing "*2" on your phone keypad, when a presentation is in progress. To un-mute, press "*3"     (1H6A)
    • You can type in your questions or comments through the browser based chat session by:     (1H6B)
      • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field). You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1H6C1)
    • (when everyone is muted) If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please "raise your hand (virtually)" by click on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the speaker or the session moderator (again, press "*3" on your phone to unmute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*2" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1H6D)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20101029@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1H6E)
  • For those who cannot join us, or who have further questions or remarks on the summit topic and content, please post them to the [ oor-forum ] listserv so that everyone in the community can benefit from the discourse.     (1H7)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1H9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1H11)

Attendees     (1J)

  • Expecting:     (1J2)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1J3A)

Resources     (1K)

Agenda Ideas     (1L)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1L1)

  • take inventory of where we stand     (1L2)
  • continue discussion on OOR Architecture and API     (1L3)
  • getting the Architecture Committee established <-- Peter: we will defer this discussion to a future meeting     (1L4)
  • organize an event for new comers to showcase their approach and what they can bring to the table     (1L5)
    • include getting exposure to the work at the OASIS ICOM & CMIS TC (possibly applicable to us)     (1L5A)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1M)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1M1)

  • Peter P. Yim takes the chair and welcome everyone     (1M2)
    • since some of our key players are at STIDS and that we have a few new/resuming members, let's spend a bit of time at this meeting going through the basics, and taking inventory on where things stand (rather than going into in depth discussion about Architecture and API)     (1M2A)

2. Roll Call:     (1M5)

3. Status Review and Discussion:     (1M8)

  • 1. Prepare and adopt an OOR system architecture     (1M11)
    • define and adopt a set of API's     (1M11A)
    • define and adopt the set of ontology metadata (as an extension of OMV) that authors of the ontology are required to provide when they upload ontologies to the OOR     (1M11B)
  • 2. continue to push OOR development and get more contributors     (1M12)
  • 3. set up policies and process and policies for contributing to OOR work     (1M13)
    • setup clear and easy policies and process to engage developers and have them contribute code     (1M13A)
    • clarify IPR issues related to Ontology & OOR and adopt a consensus IPR policy for OOR contributions     (1M13B)
    • build out "gatekeeping" and move from just having an OOR-sandbox to having available instances of an OOR-sandbox and an OOR-production     (1M13C)
    • setup clear and easy policies and process to engage content stewards and have them contribute ontologies to our public instance of OOR     (1M13D)
  • 4. systematically solicit content contributions     (1M14)
  • 5. get the work funded     (1M15)
  • 6. regularly review requirements and existing standards to make sure we are on track     (1M16)
  • 7. continue with efforts in publicity and outreach     (1M17)

... [decision] consensus to adopt the above as updated     (1M18)

  • Review and invoke follow-up actions on the three recent major events:     (1M19)
  • take inventory of where we stand     (1M20)
  • continue discussion on OOR Architecture and API     (1M21)
  • getting the Architecture Committee established <-- Peter: we will defer this discussion to a future meeting     (1M22)
  • organize an event for new comers to showcase their approach and what they can bring to the table     (1M23)
    • include getting exposure to the work at the OASIS ICOM & CMIS TC (possibly applicable to us)     (1M23A)

items below are from previous meeting discussions ... and will be updated as this meeting progresses ...     (1M25)

  • the "CL support for OOR" session - ConferenceCall_2010_09_10     (1M26)
    • action items - will discuss in depth along with Architecture and API discussion which we will try to set up asap     (1M26A)

4. Member activities updates:     (1M32)

5. Funding progress:     (1M33)

6. Any Other Business:     (1M34)

7. Action items:     (1M35)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1M36)

Transcript of the online chat during the session     (1N)

-- begin of chat session --     (1N1)

Chat transcript from room: oor_20101029     (1N2)

time-stamp in PDT UTC-0700     (1N3)

[06:03] Peter P. Yim: OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-10-29     (1N4)

[06:03] Alessandro Adamou: hi, do you read me     (1N6)

[06:03] anonymous morphed into KimViljanen     (1N7)

[06:04] KimViljanen: hello!     (1N8)

[06:07] Mathieu d'Aquin morphed into Mathieu Daquin     (1N9)

[06:14] KimViljanen: Hello Mathieu     (1N10)

[06:16] KimViljanen: http://www.onki.fi     (1N12)

[06:40] KimViljanen: Mathieu: should we organize a OOR Workshop to ESWC? (just read the call for workshops)     (1N13)

[06:41] Mathieu Daquin: Kim, would be a good idea, however I already know that I won't be at ESWC 2010...     (1N14)

[06:41] Mathieu Daquin: s/2010/2011     (1N15)

[06:44] KimViljanen: not sure if I'm either, but I'm sure that can be arranged     (1N16)

[06:45] Mathieu Daquin: I suspect that a new edition of ORES focusing on OOR would be welcome     (1N17)

[06:46] Mathieu Daquin: I would of course support that, not sure I could contribute much in terms of organization though     (1N18)

[06:47] KimViljanen: based on the amount of participants, I think there would be interest for such WS     (1N19)

[07:06] KimViljanen: I and Jouni will discuss the funding coordination issue with our researcher leader, prof. Eero Hyvnen     (1N20)

[07:07] KimViljanen: are we discussing permanent funding or project funding?     (1N21)

[07:09] Alessandro Adamou: i enqueue for my question too     (1N22)

[07:14] KimViljanen: :) (I must get a mic for the next meeting.)     (1N23)

[07:25] Ken Baclawski: Kim: The current focus is on project funding rather than permanent funding.     (1N24)

Since the OOR is intended to be a federated rather than a centralized system, presumably     (1N25)

sustainability of OOR instances would be the responsibility of the communities served.     (1N26)

[07:26] KimViljanen: yes, thanks     (1N27)

[07:31] Peter P. Yim: Thank you all, great meeting! bye ...     (1N28)

[06:03] Alessandro Adamou: hi, do you read me     (1N29)

[06:03] Peter P. Yim: OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-10-29     (1N30)

[06:03] anonymous morphed into KimViljanen     (1N31)

[06:04] KimViljanen: hello!     (1N33)

[06:07] Mathieu d'Aquin morphed into Mathieu Daquin     (1N34)

[06:14] KimViljanen: Hello Mathieu     (1N35)

[06:16] KimViljanen: http://www.onki.fi     (1N37)

[06:40] KimViljanen: Mathieu: should we organize a OOR Workshop to ESWC? (just read the call for workshops)     (1N38)

[06:41] Mathieu Daquin: Kim, would be a good idea, however I already know that I won't be at ESWC 2010...     (1N39)

[06:41] Mathieu Daquin: s/2010/2011     (1N40)

[06:44] KimViljanen: not sure if I'm either, but I'm sure that can be arranged     (1N41)

[06:45] Mathieu Daquin: I suspect that a new edition of ORES focusing on OOR would be welcome     (1N42)

[06:46] Mathieu Daquin: I would of course support that, not sure I could contribute much in terms of organization though     (1N43)

[06:47] KimViljanen: based on the amount of participants, I think there would be interest for such WS     (1N44)

[07:06] KimViljanen: I and Jouni will discuss the funding coordination issue with our researcher leader, prof. Eero Hyvnen     (1N45)

[07:07] KimViljanen: are we discussing permanent funding or project funding?     (1N46)

[07:09] Alessandro Adamou: i enqueue for my question too     (1N47)

[07:14] KimViljanen: :) (I must get a mic for the next meeting.)     (1N48)

[07:25] Ken Baclawski: Kim: The current focus is on project funding rather than permanent funding.     (1N49)

Since the OOR is intended to be a federated rather than a centralized system, presumably     (1N50)

sustainability of OOR instances would be the responsibility of the communities served.     (1N51)

[07:26] KimViljanen: yes, thanks     (1N52)

[07:31] Peter P. Yim: Thank you all, great meeting! bye ...     (1N53)

-- end of chat session --     (1N54)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2010.10.29-7:32am PDT     (1N56)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1N57)


Resources     (1O)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1O20)