From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2008-10-17     (1)

OpenOntologyRepository team conference call, Fri 2008.10.17, 1.0~1.5 Hr. call starting 12:00pm EDT / 9:00am PDT / 16:00 UTC     (1A)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session) will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1B5)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1B5A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1B5B)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1B8)

Attendees     (1D)

  • Expecting:     (1D2)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1D3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1E)

please insert below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)     (1E1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1F)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1F1)

2. Roll Call:     (1F5)

3. Status Review and Discussion:     (1F7)

Suggested topics to be covered:     (1F11)

  • Progress updates and Discussions: - notes below are from the previous meeting; to be updated during this call!     (1F17)
  • getting organized to prepare the NSF grant proposal     (1F18)
    • Bruce: will partcipate, but not as a co-lead     (1F18A)
    • organizationally Ken & Kate will co-lead; NEU to be the lead in this effort     (1F18B)
    • Ken will send out a sample for the PI / Key-personnel profile     (1F18E)
    • K will do a template for people's resumes and a proposal requirement matrix so we can check things off     (1F18F)
    • Bruce will share a template for the conflict-of-interest matrix     (1F18G)
    • Peter: for time being please use the [oor-forum] mailing list (caption it with [nsf07061-proposal]) as the working platform, and only use the Friday calls for sync-up purposes (don't wait till Friday to do the work) ... a separate (password protected) list - [oor-nsf07061] (to be updated to [oor-nsf07601]) - will be created for use by the proposal team     (1F18H)
    • Leo: suggest everyone writes up their own "activities" as well as "reasons and rationale (relative to their contribution)" that they will be contributing ... that should form the basis of the 7-page description, which is the key portion of the prelim-proposal     (1F18I)
    • Bruce: we need a vision and how we can see this work (repository) can be sustained     (1F18J)
      • Frank: sustainability plan will be important ... expecting real data collections (on top of metadata and ontology) ... pick two areas as examples? (not to be too narrow)     (1F18J1)
    • Bruce: participating principal players (and organizations?) needs to be formally "on board" and in a specific capacity     (1F18K)
    • For the prelim proposal (possibly not committed for the full proposal) - One principal (submitting) institution with the rest of us as collaborators (and possibly come in as contractors eventually)     (1F18L)
    • conflicts of interest - thesis-advisor-student relationship; co-authorship - 48 months; journal co-editors - 24 months; conference co-chairs - 24 months     (1F18M)
    • Frank: think of this as advertisement for the full proposal     (1F18N)
      • check with Lucy Nowell and Sylvia Spengler if there is any question     (1F18N1)
    • PI and key personnel will need to provide their (max 3 pages) bio-sketch, current support, conflict-of-interest write-ups to Ken Baclawski     (1F18O)
    • turn-around: Frank's estimate 2~3 months to get go ahead (if prelim proposal accepted) to move ahead with full proposal, which is due 15-May-2009     (1F18P)
    • Ken will notify people of this collaborative effort and let all on the OOR team know, so that others could participate - done! ref. http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/oor-forum/2008-10/msg00005.html     (1F18Q)
      • those who could make significant contribution to the effort and want to participate in this joint proposal should make known their intent     (1F18Q1)
      • (candidate participants') should send in a short write-up of their thoughts on how this proposal could go, their vision, their contributions, the activities, personnel involved, etc.     (1F18Q2)
      • send the writeup to Ken Baclawski & K_Goodier) by end-of-day Wed 2008.10.15, so they can be synthesized by Thursday (and come back to us with a strawman for the approach and content of our joint proposal) which we could, then, discuss, as a team at the next conference call on Fri 2008.10.17     (1F18Q3)
    • note that NSF US participants only - we should include this too when letting the rest of the OOR-team know     (1F18R)
    • Peter will create a separate archived mailing list (with a password protected archive) - [oor-nsf07061] - for this project (-done / ppy 2008.10.14-10:00am PDT) - (to be updated to [oor-nsf07601])     (1F18S)
      • this list will be exclusively for those who are involved in the joint proposal; the archive will be password protected; and will have a "team only" caption; the list archives is not intended to be opened to public access now or in the future     (1F18S1)
      • further proposal work will be transacted on this list; things that can be shared with the rest of the oor-team will be posted by the co-leads to the wiki or the [oor-forum] list     (1F18S2)
      • personal and confidential information (like salaries, etc.) should not even be posted to the list (despite the fact that the archives is password protected) and should only be sent to Ken Baclawski alone (as team co-lead), who will be doing the synthesis and compilations on behalf of the proposal team.     (1F18S3)
      • turns out the solicitation number should have been NSF 07-601 (wrongly shown as 07-061 previously) ... therefore all reference (e.g. mailing list, etc.) need to be re-done to reflect a [oor-nsf07601] (or similar) label! =ppy/2008.10.15-17:25     (1F18S4)
  • Discussion (today)     (1F20)
    • K will update the template and will circulate     (1F20A)
    • minor question ref increase to 20 pages from 7 (need to confirm whether that applies to the prelim proposal as well)     (1F20B)
    • Bruce: sending out a reference template to capture COI (conflict of interest) information     (1F20C)
    • Peter: [oor-nsf07601] team workspace now in working order     (1F20D)
    • Bruce: need to double check with Frank on whether we can keep him on the list (or whether we have to take him off the list)     (1F20E)
    • on project vision and approach:     (1F20F)
      • Bruce: refer to what NIH-NCI has done ... caBIG (bioinformatics grid) ... node on a grid ... sustainability based on people's self interest     (1F20F1)
      • Neil & Ken: federated ... similar to the above     (1F20F2)
      • Mark: the domain (NSF's ... not NIH's)     (1F20F3)
      • Peter: ontologies as the next generation standards ... and hence the need for an OOR     (1F20F4)
    • Mark: for this nsf solicitation, the emphasis is on the data ...     (1F20G)
  • the data collection we will be picking     (1F21)
    • Neil: biological, environmental, ... (encyclopedia of life, ...)     (1F21A)
    • John: data collections? ... not immediately ... oceanographic, possibly     (1F21B)
    • Mark: biomedical content (the bio and not medical contents) ... also developing technogy here not funded by other programs (to avoid conflicts)     (1F21C)
  • the [oor-nsf07601] mailing list will be the prime platform for project communications ... the weekly conference calls should only be used to help sync everyone up.     (1F23)

... the rest of the items are deferred (t.b covered at a later meeting!) ...     (1F24)

4. New Issues:     (1F28)

5. Any Other Business:     (1F29)

6. Action items:     (1F30)

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1F32)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2008.10:17-10:11am PDT     (1F36)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1F37)


Resources     (1G)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1G18)