From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

SemanticWiki mini-series Session-6 - Thu 5-Mar-2009     (1)

  • Mini-series Title: Semantic Wikis: The Wiki Way to the Semantic Web     (1A)
  • Session Chair: Prof. Dr. RudiStuder (FZI & Institut AIFB, Universit��t Karlsruhe) & Dr. MarkGreaves (Vulcan)     (1C)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1F5)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1F5A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1F5B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1F5C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1F6)
    • (Unless the conference host has already muted everyone) Please mute your phone, by pressing "*2" on your phone keypad, when the talk is in progress. To un-mute, press "*3"     (1F6A)
    • (when everyone is muted) If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please "raise your hand (virtually)" by pressing "11" on your phone keypad. You may speak when acknowledged by the speaker or the session moderator. Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please.     (1F6B)
    • You can also type in your questions or comments through the browser based chat session by:     (1F6C)
      • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field). You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1F6D1)
  • Please note that this session will be recorded, and the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1F12)

Attendees     (1H)

SemanticWiki mini-series Background     (1I)

The Semantic Wiki mini-series a 6-month mini-series comprising Talks, Panel Discussions and Online Discourse. The series is co-organized by FZI Karlsruhe, Mayo Clinic, Ontolog, RPI Tetherless World Constellation and Salzburg Research, Austria. This represents a collaborative effort between members from academia, research, software engineering, semantic web and ontology communities. The 6-month mini-series intends to bring together developers, administrators and users of semantic wikis, and provide a platform where they can conveniently share ideas and insights. Through a series of (mainly virtual) talks, panel discussions, online discourse and even face-to-face meetings, participants will survey the state-of-the-art in semantic wiki technology and get exposure to exemplary use cases and applications. Together, they will study trends, challenges and the outlook for semantic wikis, and explore opportunities for collaboration in the very promising technology, approach or philosophy which people has labeled "semantic wiki."     (1I1)

This series of virtual events will dovetail into the face-to-face workshop: "Social Semantic Web: Where Web 2.0 Meets Web 3.0" at the AAAI Spring Symposium (March 23-25, 2009 at Stanford, California, USA - see: http://tw.rpi.edu/sss09 ).     (1I2)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1J)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call.     (1J1)
  • Agenda:     (1J2)
    • 1. Opening by the Session Chair - Mark Greaves & Rudi Studer     (1J2A)
    • 2. we'll go around with a self-introduction of participants - we will skip this if we have more than 20 participants (in which case, it will be best if members try to update their namesake pages on this wiki prior to the call so that everyone can get to know who's who more easily.) (All - total: ~15 minutes)     (1J2B)
    • 3. SemanticWiki mini-series sessions 1~5 summaries - (5 min. each)     (1J2C)
    • 4. Panelists thoughts & short statements on the Future and Trends on SemanticWiki's - (2 min. each)     (1J2D)
    • 5. Q&A and Open Discussion - ALL (~20 min.)     (1J2E)
    • 6. Summary / Announcement / Conclusion - session co-chairs     (1J2F)

Session Abstract: The Future of Semantic http://c2.com/cgi/wiki? Trends, Challenges and Outlook     (1K)

We are inviting all our chairs and presenters from the previous     (1K1)

sessions back to join us on the panel at this session, to share their thoughts, and to collectively take a glimpse into the future of semantic wikis, as pioneers, developers and practitioners of semantic wiki technologies and applications.     (1K2)

This mini-series has proved to be a fantastic opportunity for     (1K3)

practicing and potential developers, administrators and users of semantic wikis. This concluding session will being everything together, and help everyone look into what semantic wiki promises in the future as well.     (1K4)

See: Some of the thoughts on the future and trend of semantic wikis by our earlier speakers at: SemanticWiki/Future     (1K5)

Q & A and Open Discussion     (1L)

Transcript of the online chat (during the session)     (1L2)

Transcript: (lightly edited, only to improve intelligibility)     (1L2A)

Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the SemanticWiki mini-series Session-6 - Thu 5-Mar-2009     (1L2B)

  • Mini-series Title: Semantic Wikis: The Wiki Way to the Semantic Web     (1L2C)

o Chairs of previous sessions in this mini-series to summarize the outcome from their sessions,     (1L2G)

and to make their short statements on today's topic (5 min. each)     (1L2H)

o Speakers from previous sessions of this mini-series to each deliver short statements     (1L2K)

regarding the future of semantic wikis as they each see it (2 min. each)     (1L2L)

Mr. JoelNatividad, Professor Kei Cheung, Mr. Markus Kroetzsch, Mr. Mike Dean,     (1L2N)

Professor Dr. Peter Dolog, Mr. Peter P. Yim, Dr. Sebastian Schaffert, Mr. TobiasKuhn & Mr. Yaron Koren     (1L2O)

anonymous morphed into Daniel Schwabe     (1L2Q)

anonymous morphed into Rudi Studer     (1L2R)

RudiStuder1 morphed into Markus Kroetzsch     (1L2S)

anonymous morphed into Son Doan     (1L2T)

Son Doan requests a private chat with you     (1L2U)

Rudi Studer: We are having problems dialing in. The German telecon service says that the conference ID is not valid     (1L2V)

Markus Kroetzsch: We are now using the UK line to dial in.     (1L2X)

anonymous morphed into Yaron Koren     (1L2Y)

Yaron Koren: What's up, Markus.     (1L2AA)

Markus Kroetzsch: We are still waiting for Peter to dial in ...     (1L2AB)

Peter P. Yim: Sorry guys ... I am slightly delayed ... I will be over in a couple of minutes     (1L2AD)

Peter P. Yim: slides just posted ... please refresh session page     (1L2AE)

anonymous morphed into Ed Dodds     (1L2AF)

Yaron Koren: Looking through the presentations, it looks like Markus and Max's is an old one.     (1L2AH)

anonymous morphed into Jesse Wang     (1L2AI)

Yaron Koren: From the 3rd session.     (1L2AJ)

Sebastian Schaffert: Hi, I dialed in via the German line just fine     (1L2AK)

Markus Kroetzsch sees two people with their hands up. You can put them down again with the hand button at the bottom right, I think.     (1L2AL)

Markus Kroetzsch: We will try that too, back in a minute.     (1L2AM)

Sebastian Schaffert: yes, I could if I had not logged in again     (1L2AN)

Markus Kroetzsch: ok, we are back via the German line     (1L2AP)

anonymous1 morphed into Christoph Lange     (1L2AQ)

Christoph Lange: hi, sorry for coming a bit late...     (1L2AR)

Markus Kroetzsch: Hi, we are just starting     (1L2AS)

anonymous morphed into Tim Finin     (1L2AT)

anonymous morphed into Mike Lang     (1L2AU)

anonymous3 morphed into Daniel Redmon     (1L2AW)

anonymous morphed into Jie Bao     (1L2AY)

Ed Dodds: Thanks to the conveners!!!     (1L2AZ)

anonymous1 morphed into John Pacheco     (1L2AAA)

anonymous2 morphed into Bobbin Teegarden     (1L2AAB)

anonymous morphed into Christoph Lange     (1L2AAC)

Sebastian Schaffert: there is also the 4th SemWiki workshop at ESWC2009     (1L2AAD)

Yaron Koren: I submitted a talk for the SemTech conference, but they never responded, which I guess means that they rejected me.     (1L2AAE)

Markus Kroetzsch: You should inquire anyway.     (1L2AAG)

Sebastian Schaffert: ero-training is the goal of every software developer, or should be     (1L2AAH)

Yaron Koren: I did, actually, about a month ago - they didn't respond to that either.     (1L2AAI)

Markus Kroetzsch thinks they filter "Yaron" in email headers     (1L2AAJ)

Ed Dodds: Is there a knowledge engineer job posting resource, either on Ontolog or else place?     (1L2AAM)

Tim Finin: we'll continue to need knowledge engineers just as we programmers and database specialists     (1L2AAN)

Sebastian Schaffert: but hard to convince companies that they need one, at least that's my experience     (1L2AAO)

Markus Kroetzsch: There will also be another SMW user meeting, maybe Daniel Hansch can say something on that.     (1L2AAQ)

Daniel Hansch: Peter, would you be so kind and show my updated slide later? (v1.1)     (1L2AAR)

Peter P. Yim: @DanielHansch: I've got your updated slide online     (1L2AAS)

Mark Greaves: Tim: I agree that we will need KEs in many cases; the question is the degree to which     (1L2AAT)

semantic wikis can socialize some of the lower-end schema design applications.     (1L2AAU)

Daniel Schwabe: I don't believe there will be a single "user interface" that is universally "good" for all     (1L2AAV)

Daniel Schwabe: therefore, we really need environments that make it easy to create customized interfaces     (1L2AAX)

Lars Ludwig: we need one environment to customize, maybe     (1L2AAY)

Daniel Schwabe: perhaps some communities may reach a consensus on some interface model that suits them     (1L2AAZ)

Daniel Schwabe: Why access only from other wiki *systems*, and not from any data source?     (1L2AAAA)

Markus Kroetzsch: Didn't he say this?     (1L2AAAB)

Daniel Schwabe: I heard Rudi say "accessing data from other wiki systems"...     (1L2AAAC)

Mark Greaves: Daniel Schwabe: I agree about the multiple UIs; we don't expect a single best interface to a RDBMS,     (1L2AAAD)

so why should we expect a single best interface to semantic data?     (1L2AAAE)

Your M-V-C work is quite cool in this regard.     (1L2AAAF)

Markus Kroetzsch: ok, we can check on the recording, I was more focussed on the slide     (1L2AAAG)

Daniel Schwabe: Mark Greaves - ok, but the actual challenge of good UI design remains     (1L2AAAH)

Yaron Koren: No, he talked about other data sources before, including desktop-only data.     (1L2AAAI)

Yaron Koren: That was early on in the talk.     (1L2AAAL)

Daniel Schwabe: yes, there is the URL to all the slides earlier in the transcript     (1L2AAAM)

Daniel Schwabe: I think this definition is missing collectively produced content. To me this is one of the defining notions of "wiki"     (1L2AAAN)

Sebastian Schaffert: we had a definition of "Wiki Philosophy" in the first session     (1L2AAAP)

Sebastian Schaffert: it included "everyone can edit"     (1L2AAAQ)

Ed Dodds: Anyone using twitter here? What hash tags do you use for Ontolog Forum related tweets?     (1L2AAAR)

Mark Greaves: Daniel Schwabe: I think there is enough diversity between SMW+, Knoodl, AceWiki, IkeWiki, SWiM,     (1L2AAAS)

and the other semantic wikis that our community is not well served by drawing bright inclusion lines     (1L2AAAT)

or debating terminological scope, even around a fundamental property like collaboration.     (1L2AAAU)

The marketplace is redefining our term anyway. I'd rather see us be inclusive about     (1L2AAAV)

the term "semantic wiki", leave it hazily defined, and let our various pieces of software speak for themselves.     (1L2AAAW)

Sebastian Schaffert: research has to be fun;.)     (1L2AAAX)

Yaron Koren: I would think a definition of semantic wikis that doesn't include collaboration is not a definition at all.     (1L2AAAZ)

Daniel Schwabe: +1 to Yaron - and that's true for Wikis, not just Semantic Wikis...     (1L2AAAAA)

Mark Greaves: Yaron Koren: I use a semantic wiki in a noncollaborative way for my own personal information management, for example.     (1L2AAAAB)

Markus Kroetzsch: Actually, my hoempage is a semantic wiki, but I am the only editor     (1L2AAAAC)

(sorry for advertisement, couldn't resist)     (1L2AAAAE)

Daniel Schwabe: Mark Greaves - I agree with the overall approach to the problem; I also don't believe     (1L2AAAAF)

in very strong categorizations that serve no purpose.     (1L2AAAAG)

Yaron Koren: Yes, I'm aware of single-user wikis, but the tools are in place for collaboration.     (1L2AAAAH)

Daniel Schwabe: The issue is that if you really take away the collaboration infrastructure, the problem becomes much simpler.     (1L2AAAAK)

Sebastian Schaffert: it always becomes simpler without cocurrency     (1L2AAAAL)

Sebastian Schaffert: but still, wikis are not about collaboration primarily, they are about creating web content quickly     (1L2AAAAN)

StephenDavies: (what slide are we on now?)     (1L2AAAAO)

Mark Greaves: "Database" doesn't have a very tight definition, nor does "word processor" or other common classes     (1L2AAAAP)

of software -- they more have a family resemblence and hazy boundaries. No one has an issue with this.     (1L2AAAAQ)

So I'd hope this approach is part of our semantic wiki community as well.     (1L2AAAAR)

Daniel Schwabe: Hmmm, then wysywig HTML editors would be wiki tools!     (1L2AAAAS)

StephenDavies: (ah, okay)     (1L2AAAAT)

Yaron Koren: Slide 11 - interestingly, it's about "what is a wiki".     (1L2AAAAV)

Sebastian Schaffert: a kind of wysiwyg editor if you like     (1L2AAAAW)

Sebastian Schaffert: but a wysiwyg editor does not create a website, it just creates HTML     (1L2AAAAX)

Daniel Schwabe: Ok, some CMSs or tools do that - create the page, publish right away.     (1L2AAAAZ)

One of the really enabling factors in wikis is easy *linking* (not so much formatting, imho)     (1L2AAAAAA)

Tim Finin: FB and youtube don't seem to be wikis to me.     (1L2AAAAAB)

Sebastian Schaffert: yes, linking is crucial     (1L2AAAAAC)

Sebastian Schaffert: and then there is versioning     (1L2AAAAAD)

Yaron Koren: You can't edit other people's contributions in FB, YouTube, etc.; that's the issue.     (1L2AAAAAE)

Sebastian Schaffert: and (you can debate that) everyone can edit     (1L2AAAAAF)

Daniel Schwabe: So that's why some of the social software sites/tools mentioned in slide 11 would not really count as wikis     (1L2AAAAAG)

(from the easy linking pov). And, of course, editing other people's contents, sure.     (1L2AAAAAH)

Tim Finin: more like forums, then     (1L2AAAAAI)

Sebastian Schaffert: yes, but there are nowadays many corporate wiki installations where *not* everyone can edit     (1L2AAAAAJ)

Sebastian Schaffert: but still they are wikis     (1L2AAAAAK)

Daniel Schwabe: it's ok if you have some editorial control on who is allowed to publish...     (1L2AAAAAM)

Daniel Schwabe: functionally speaking, it's still collaborative content AND linking     (1L2AAAAAN)

Harold Solbrig: I think the history component is an important aspect as well.     (1L2AAAAAO)

Sebastian Schaffert: I often summarise the wiki characteristics as follows:     (1L2AAAAAP)

Sebastian Schaffert: - On a wiki, anyone can edit     (1L2AAAAAQ)

Sebastian Schaffert: - Wikis are easy to use (buzzword!)     (1L2AAAAAR)

Sebastian Schaffert: - Wiki content is linkable     (1L2AAAAAS)

Sebastian Schaffert: - Wikis support versioning     (1L2AAAAAT)

Sebastian Schaffert: - Wikis support all media (that one is an extension of the old idea of web page)     (1L2AAAAAU)

Lars Ludwig: hm, I could think of a virtual wiki integrating personal statements without direct editing     (1L2AAAAAW)

Christoph Lange: I wouldn't call the feature "versioning" -- IIRC it was originally called "easy undo"     (1L2AAAAAX)

= it's easier to undo a mistake than to mess up sth. (and versioning is one solution for that)     (1L2AAAAAY)

Daniel Schwabe: my definition - easy content and linking; collaborative creation.     (1L2AAAAAAA)

Versioning is really just a way to overcome lack of concurrency control     (1L2AAAAAAB)

- leave to the users to undo inconsistent updates, simplifies implementation.     (1L2AAAAAAC)

Sebastian Schaffert: Daniel: versioning is much more important     (1L2AAAAAAE)

Sebastian Schaffert: it is about taking away fears     (1L2AAAAAAF)

Sebastian Schaffert: the fear of breaking things     (1L2AAAAAAG)

Lars Ludwig: why not integrating twitter messages into a wiki     (1L2AAAAAAH)

Daniel Schwabe: ok, but I consider that as part of "collaborative content creation" support     (1L2AAAAAAJ)

Sebastian Schaffert: if I know that I can undo my changes in a Wiki, I feel much more easy to actually contribute     (1L2AAAAAAK)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Lars: yes, of course (KiWi)     (1L2AAAAAAL)

Yaron Koren: I was smiling at the "breaking things", BTW.     (1L2AAAAAAM)

Ed Dodds: Isolated components will be available to link with electronic medical records and     (1L2AAAAAAN)

financial reporting increasingly done in extensible business reporting language (xbrl) as well.     (1L2AAAAAAO)

Anyone looking at the medical banking implications of this yet?     (1L2AAAAAAP)

Harold Solbrig: The versioning isn't just being able to undo - it carries the evolution of how the idea was formed.     (1L2AAAAAAQ)

Interestingly, discussions should probably be linear - time flows down the page, but core pages need history.     (1L2AAAAAAR)

Markus Kroetzsch: The "Ask The Wiki" demo is still found at http://semanticweb.org/wiki/Special:ATWSpecialSearch (URL not on my slides)     (1L2AAAAAAS)

anonymous1 morphed into JohnMcClure     (1L2AAAAAAT)

Peter Dolog: just some thoghts based on above discussion. I think we probably need some kind of     (1L2AAAAAAU)

a metaphor for semantic wiki. Looking at what the other wrote: Sebastian - quickly update content     (1L2AAAAAAV)

-> I think this is historically wiki; Daniel: collaborative editing of content was probably added     (1L2AAAAAAW)

after when CSCW peaple entered, knowledge evolution goes towards semantics a bit     (1L2AAAAAAX)

(versioning vs. evolution? probably a discussion point too)     (1L2AAAAAAY)

Ed Dodds: >> Lars Ludwig: why not integrating twitter messages into a wiki - Indeed, saw this a.m.     (1L2AAAAAAZ)

(eTouch announces SamePage Version 4.1) that "functionally" attempts this,     (1L2AAAAAAAB)

although not actually with twitter or identi.ca/laconi.ca     (1L2AAAAAAAC)

Daniel Schwabe: @PeterDolog - No, collaboration was there since the beginning in Ward Cunninghams first wiki     (1L2AAAAAAAD)

Peter Dolog: OK, I am not excluding it. I think we just probably miss some kind of methaphor we could all ground too.     (1L2AAAAAAAE)

Markus Kroetzsch: A core aspect of Ward's Wiki was simplicity -- hardly any markup.     (1L2AAAAAAAF)

Harold Solbrig: As was the original HTML     (1L2AAAAAAAG)

Lars Ludwig: Ed Dodds: next step: integrate 'semantic' messages     (1L2AAAAAAAH)

Peter Dolog: ok, so what would be an equivalent simplicity to semantic wiki     (1L2AAAAAAAI)

Markus Kroetzsch: As Ward said himself, Wikipedia and others have moved away from this part a lot, but I think he is okay with this     (1L2AAAAAAAJ)

Peter Dolog: simplicity in editing beyond content - knowledge?     (1L2AAAAAAAK)

Daniel Schwabe: I translated these into "easy content creation and linking"     (1L2AAAAAAAL)

Daniel Schwabe: So I really don't care what is the underlying representation - if I have a tool that makes it     (1L2AAAAAAAM)

very easy to create content, that's fine.     (1L2AAAAAAAN)

Markus Kroetzsch: Ward's wiki was not just "easy" (to use), its whole data model was extremely simple.     (1L2AAAAAAAO)

There was hardly any structure in the data it contained. Mostly links.     (1L2AAAAAAAP)

Li Ding: the notion of easy is hard to say     (1L2AAAAAAAQ)

Daniel Schwabe: Hence, with wysiwyg HTML enable wiki content to be HTML, so long as people don't have to edit the source...     (1L2AAAAAAAR)

Li Ding: even editing with wiki require training     (1L2AAAAAAAS)

Harold Solbrig: Interesting now that I think about it. HTML 1.0 was more semantic than syntax.     (1L2AAAAAAAT)

The XML community argues that it "got off track" with the images and formatting information     (1L2AAAAAAAU)

rather than the semantics of the message itself. XML, on the other hand, made it *too* easy     (1L2AAAAAAAV)

for everyone to say whatever they said their own way. RDF & OWL etc. are attempts to agree     (1L2AAAAAAAW)

on semantics, but WIKI, in a way, is a return to the original HTML principles.     (1L2AAAAAAAX)

Mark Greaves: Li Ding: very well said, "the notion of easy is hard to say"     (1L2AAAAAAAY)

Li Ding: furthermore, editing in English is not that easy     (1L2AAAAAAAZ)

Daniel Schwabe: Besides content itself with the simple markup, the real winner was the simple linking mechanism - reference by name     (1L2AAAAAAAAA)

Markus Kroetzsch: but maybe maintaining a basic data model with as little strucutre as possible is not actually our goal these days ...     (1L2AAAAAAAAB)

Daniel Schwabe: at that time, this was the difficult part to achieve in a simple way     (1L2AAAAAAAAC)

Harold Solbrig: Agreed - especially the link to a yet to be created page.     (1L2AAAAAAAAD)

JohnMcClure: Core & definitional to wikis -- which seems not to have received alot of attention -- are namespaces.     (1L2AAAAAAAAF)

I believe that public understanding of wikis needs to evolve, not be a revolution with too many concepts.     (1L2AAAAAAAAG)

Thus, I suggest that the concept of namespaces -- as a form of strong typing -- is the next crucial atom     (1L2AAAAAAAAH)

of info to be communicated.     (1L2AAAAAAAAI)

Daniel Schwabe: @Markus - sure, I would not focus so much on a "data model"     (1L2AAAAAAAAJ)

Daniel Schwabe: @johnM - interesting point...     (1L2AAAAAAAAK)

Ed Dodds: @ Lars Ludwig: next step: integrate 'semantic' messages >> yes, I wonder if the open ontology registry (Ontolog Project)     (1L2AAAAAAAAL)

might be utilized to connect with tagging a la delicious, folksonomies, twit hash tags, etc. to help give context     (1L2AAAAAAAAM)

to these semantic messages...     (1L2AAAAAAAAN)

Peter Dolog: @DanielSchwabe: so our ultimate goal is then, what is now difficult on the content in the wikis     (1L2AAAAAAAAO)

which semantics can make it simple     (1L2AAAAAAAAP)

Markus Kroetzsch: @DanielSchwabe: I mean the basic structural model of the wiki content. In spite of all freedom     (1L2AAAAAAAAQ)

that users should have, technically there must be some basic "model".     (1L2AAAAAAAAR)

Daniel Schwabe: that's part of it. Then there is the "consuming the information" part.     (1L2AAAAAAAAS)

No good to be easy to create if it is hard to consume! which leads us to customizable interfaces     (1L2AAAAAAAAT)

JohnMcClure: I suggest that IF ontologies are calibrated with (inter)wiki namespaces,     (1L2AAAAAAAAV)

THEN ontology metadata can be reasoned, leading to interoperability     (1L2AAAAAAAAW)

Daniel Schwabe: @MarkusKroetzsch - sure     (1L2AAAAAAAAX)

Yaron Koren: SMW mostly uses categories and not namespaces.     (1L2AAAAAAAAZ)

Markus Kroetzsch: Well, it uses both but for very different things.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAA)

Harold Solbrig: We had to splice namespaces in...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAB)

Lars Ludwig: document annotation is no solution     (1L2AAAAAAAAAC)

Harold Solbrig: e.g. RDF_type or WINE_cabernet     (1L2AAAAAAAAAD)

Markus Kroetzsch: @ Peter P. Yim: my lightning slide is not linked online -- did you get it?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAE)

JohnMcClure: Yaron, yes I agree, but that doesnt distress me. The essential point     (1L2AAAAAAAAAF)

is that SMW needs to develop an ontology that describes NSs.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAG)

Yaron Koren: Markus - a minority of people use namespaces for data. Like Harold.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAH)

Markus Kroetzsch: Oh, I would not encourage this, from a technical viewpoint     (1L2AAAAAAAAAI)

Yaron Koren: Talk to Harold. And John.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAJ)

Yaron Koren: John - I don't see why usage of namespaces is that important to you.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAL)

JohnMcClure: Because it is a container. Because it's already in MW. Because it is not new     (1L2AAAAAAAAAM)

Yaron Koren: You could say the same for categories.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAN)

Markus Kroetzsch requests a private chat with you     (1L2AAAAAAAAAO)

Markus Kroetzsch requests a private chat with you     (1L2AAAAAAAAAP)

Harold Solbrig: Two different notions of namespace. One is the Mediawiki ns     (1L2AAAAAAAAAQ)

(Category, Template, Property, and talk analogs) and the second is ontology namespace (URI)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAR)

Markus Kroetzsch: Ah, that is indeed different     (1L2AAAAAAAAAS)

Jesse Wang: Yaron: I believe one reason people use namespaces is to avoid name conflict: say,     (1L2AAAAAAAAAT)

two pages: NS1:MembersList vs NS2:MembersList.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAU)

JohnMcClure: Harold, agreed. What is the difference my friend?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAV)

Markus Kroetzsch: @Harold: Of course, namespaces in ontologies often have no semantic significance.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAW)

They are specific to some serializations, but not part of the ontological content.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAX)

Sebastian Schaffert: and they don't say anything about the ontology     (1L2AAAAAAAAAY)

Sebastian Schaffert: they are about the URIs and not suitable for grouping ontologies     (1L2AAAAAAAAAZ)

Markus Kroetzsch: (opening a file in an ontology editor and saving it again may sometimes change the namespaces that are used)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAA)

Markus Kroetzsch: The notion of "URI" does not involve namespaces either.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAB)

Markus Kroetzsch: They only come in in XML and some other file formats.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAC)

Daniel Schwabe: I guess what is meant is some facility to help "distributed vocabulary management"     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAD)

Li Ding: isn't wiki a place forcing people to converge?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAE)

Markus Kroetzsch: @DanielS: Yes, the problem is that semantic technology standards are pretty poor on this task.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAF)

Daniel Schwabe: @MarkusK - sure, I was just trying to give my interpretation of the remark on using NSs     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAG)

Markus Kroetzsch: yes, and I think it is a valid remark, just hard to implement properly using standards     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAH)

Daniel Schwabe: @ Li Ding - yes, but converge != merge     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAI)

JohnMcClure: What is meant is a hook to define context, the 'frame' through which a particular wiki,     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAJ)

or namespace within a wiki, is constructed.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAK)

Where else to define such context *in the existing framework*?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAL)

Li Ding: @daniel, right we do forced-converge or merged by mapping     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAM)

JohnMcClure: Frankly I am most concerned with making swikis palatable as possible - Start with existing concepts,     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAN)

like namespaces (aka context) and pages (aka resources)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAO)

Daniel Schwabe: @ Li Ding - I believe merged by mapping is more acceptable, hence the use of NSs to help that     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAP)

JohnMcClure: we can all agree semantically what the 'talk' ns is for. Why stop there?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAQ)

Am suggesting some additional foundational namespaces in addition to     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAR)

the fourteen (14) standard ns's.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAS)

Daniel Schwabe: Shameless plug - partial answer to point 2 (interface between dbpedia and semantic wiki)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAU)

First step, exploring data; second step, create/add/edit content (coming)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAW)

Yaron Koren: @ Kei Cheung - well, some might say that a semantic Wikipedia might replace DBPedia entirely.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAX)

JohnMcClure: e.g., put one's formal ontology in a 'term' ns, controlled by KEs.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAY)

Leave folksonomies in the 'category' ns -- potential terms adoptable by KEs     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAZ)

Daniel Schwabe: @YaronKoren - sorry, I really don't believe that. They serve entirely different purposes.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAA)

I could see Semantic Wikipedia being based on top of dbpedia...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAB)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Yaron: which would make sense, why are they separate in the first place ...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAC)

Sebastian Schaffert: well, at the moment, DBPedia is based on Wikipedia     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAD)

Daniel Schwabe: @YaronKoren (perhaps that's what you meant?)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAE)

Sebastian Schaffert: adding the DBPedia-way of querying data to Wikipedia would make sense     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAF)

Yaron Koren: No, I'm talking about adding SMW (for instance ) to Wikipedia.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAG)

Yaron Koren: Wikipedia could then be queried directly.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAH)

Sebastian Schaffert: same result, isn't it (or even better)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAI)

Daniel Schwabe: @sebastian - one of the advantages of dbpedia is having a sparql endpoint.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAK)

It enables powerful interfaces such as the Explorator I mentioned above     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAL)

Sebastian Schaffert: yes, but Wikipedia could offer the SPARQL endpoint     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAN)

Daniel Schwabe: In addition, you could always have the (Semantic) Media Wiki interface, as you said     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAO)

Sebastian Schaffert: instead of having it separate     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAP)

Sebastian Schaffert: I disagree with Mike - OWL must prove that it is useful or otherwise we dump it     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAQ)

Christoph Lange: one more thought about namespaces: I think they are needed if links should remain     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAS)

easy to author. LinkByName actually requires one flat namespace, which is not practical     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAT)

for structuring knowledge, but full URIs are hard to author     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAU)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Christoph: link lookup can be done differently     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAW)

Harold Solbrig: @Markus (wrt namespaces) - indeed, namespaces have no semantic significance, which is     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAX)

why they work out ok as a part of the name itself. The key, however, is disambiguation     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAY)

- especially when you are referencing outside resources that have not coordinated their names.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAZ)

The classic example is the NCI has a class called "Agent", which includes drugs and other     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAA)

delivery mechanisms. NCI_Agent is needed...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAB)

Sebastian Schaffert: I'll maybe discuss with you separately how we now do it in KiWi     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAC)

Markus Kroetzsch: I agree with Sebastian, but I don't think OWL is just useful if it is useful in wikis;     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAD)

actually, we would have very advanced swikis indeed if they are able to leverage     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAE)

a technology as powerful as OWL. Maybe we are not there yet.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAF)

Kei Cheung: Yaron, my chat room page was blocked by other windows so I didn't see your comment.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAG)

wikipedia started with free text, so it's not a natural fit to semantic web even dbpedia     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAH)

addresses some of the issues. If we start right using semantic mediawiki (instead of mediawiki),     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAI)

we might be able to create a better dbpedia (neurodbpedia in my case).     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

Yaron Koren: Well, as far as I know DBPedia just uses Wikipedia's infobox data, which could be     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAK)

relatively straightforwardly semantic-ized.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAL)

Sebastian Schaffert: ... or create a flop because people are reluctant to use it     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAM)

Markus Kroetzsch: @Harold: yes, I agree; I am not sure how well this is supported by current tools, though     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAP)

Harold Solbrig: @Markus I disagree. OWL, while it may not appear directly, is an important component     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

when defining the intended meaning of the semantic components. With OWL, RDF, ...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAR)

we have "Category" and "Property". That said, OWL should be under the covers.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAS)

Daniel Schwabe: I think we can build special purpose interfaces to create, edit and navigate data     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAT)

for which we KNOW the (meta) schema.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAU)

Sebastian Schaffert: people absolutely don't care about semantics     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAV)

Sebastian Schaffert: they have to be added in a natural way     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAW)

Markus Kroetzsch: in addition, people absolutely don't care about wikis     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAY)

Yaron Koren: So what are we doing here?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAC)

Daniel Schwabe: @MarkusKroetzsch, unless you are saying this "tongue in cheek", people DO care about wikis...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

Harold Solbrig: @MarkusKroetzsch: We had to roll our own for the time being. Not only do we have     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

the namespace issue, but, one way or another, we have to know     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAG)

that "Wine" and "Wein" map to the same core resource, so we need a notion of identity.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Yaron: we care about positioning semantic wikis as a tool that people really like     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

to use without noticing that they are using a wiki or semantics     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

Harold Solbrig: I want to get to the same page in the end.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Harold: this becomes very difficult     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

Markus Kroetzsch: @Yaron: That is why I think we should step back and consider the goal we have.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

We gather valuable experience in supporting structured and unstructured content,     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAP)

for trained and untrained users, in groups or alone -- we can define "CMS"     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

or at least contribute significantly to its future definition.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

Ed Dodds: Folks don't care about "semantics" but they do care about "context"     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

-- they just don't realize they can be the same thing     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

Sebastian Schaffert: in Bavaria, we have about 5-10 notions of snow, in Iceland they have about 15     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAU)

Daniel Schwabe: Good user interface are crucial to ANY interactive application...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAV)

Sebastian Schaffert: and in Saudi Arabia they probably have only 1     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAW)

Daniel Schwabe: @SebastianSchaffert (Ha, in Brazil we have may .5 notion of snow, none real! :-Q)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

Markus Kroetzsch: @DanielSchwabe: The people from the street care about the label "wiki" as they care about "Web 2.0",     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

but the cateogrization as one or the other type of CMS is not essential to them as long as it works     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

Daniel Schwabe: @MarkusKroetzsch - ah, ok     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAC)

Harold Solbrig: @SebastianSchaffert: What we've done is created a 3 part identifier (NS_designation(code)).     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

NS is namespace ID, designation is language specific and possibly changeable name and code is immutable.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

Note that links don't just come from other wiki pages (!). If we don't find NS_designation(code),     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

we look up NS(Code). If found, we build a redirect page.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAG)

Ed Dodds: A simple case is job matching a la hr-xml. HR still refuses to use "context" to match "job description"     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

with "resume" -- job seekers, however, do wish they would     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAI)

Markus Kroetzsch: @Harold: I think I understand what kind of problems you would encounter there.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

You want to work on syntax, when all SemWeb standards work on semantics     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

(i.e. letting you identify the entities you model, but not the names that you use for them).     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

Markus Kroetzsch wonders how many parallel side chats one can have while still being an attentive listener ...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

Ed Dodds: Another case is the White House Forum on Health Reform Event on now http://www.whitehouse.gov/live2/     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

where about of the jawing is about differing definitions and cross talk     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

JohnMcClure: Special purpose interfaces (@Daniel) could be bound each to a namespace.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

People 'get' that pretty easily, and understand that     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Harold: but how does it solve the problem of owl:sameAs redirecting to the same page?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

JohnMcClure: place:White House is SURELY different than article:White House and talk:White House     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

Sebastian Schaffert: concepts are slightly different in different cultures     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAU)

Daniel Schwabe: @JohnMcClure - sure, that's one of the primitive mechanisms we use in HDEWiki (and more general in HyperDE tool)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAV)

JohnMcClure: each requiring a wholly different set of tools to make the goal (completing content) faster, better, cheaper     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAW)

Daniel Schwabe: @JohnMcClure - there is a builtin notion of "context", and a way to customize the interface depending on the context.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAX)

JoelNatividad: Following up on my point about word processors - has anybody looked into using     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAY)

the new document formats - Open XML and ODF in particular as a jumping point     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

JoelNatividad: for capturing semantically annotated data when creating documents     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

JoelNatividad: ODF has a metadata Technical Comittee     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

smishra morphed into Sunil Mishra     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC)

Sebastian Schaffert: yes, we even have an open bug tracker issue on this     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

Daniel Schwabe: @YaronK, can you post the URL to the website you mentioned?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

anonymous1: How is the UI problem related to the non-specific spirit of the wiki paradigm?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

For instance, from my experience working within the biomedical domain I have see that tools     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI)

such as WIKI-Proteins do not facilitate any specific tool for the kind of information     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

they are meant to support. How could having more specific UIs help solving the UI problem?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

Bobbin Teegarden: Has anyone tried to move the wiki ui from words and bullets to an interactive graph (with GIS overlay)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

more like Gelernter's Mirror World?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

Sebastian Schaffert: because specific is always better for the user than generic     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

Markus Kroetzsch: anonymous1, you can use "Settings" at the top panel to get a name.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

Daniel Schwabe: @ anonymous1 - that's precisely the point I was making in my earlier interventions!     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP)

Lars Ludwig: name space? -- I call it mind space     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

Harold Solbrig: @Sebastian: Even with owl:sameAs, we still have to get folks from whatever historical or     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

language specific hyperlink they've got to the SMW page that defines the category or property.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

The advantage of the identifier approach is we don't have to carry a history     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

of all names that have been used.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAU)

Markus Kroetzsch: oops, I misinterpreted the text field next to the hand button     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAV)

Sebastian Schaffert: namespaces are not for semantics     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX)

Daniel Schwabe: @YaronKoren - is there some sort of schema underlying the "structured" portion of this website?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY)

Is there a way to access the "raw" underlying data?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Harold: that's fine - my concern is only that it is not so easy to use the same concept     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

in multiple languages     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

Yaron Koren: @DanielSchwabe - not really, no.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

Sebastian Schaffert: but didn't to it in KiWi after a long discussion     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

AlexGarcia: I suppose that also has to do with being able to define atomic components     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

of a wiki page, the page is the atomic unit of the wiki.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG)

Harold Solbrig: @Sebastion: agreed that it isn't. There are attempts and claims to be able to do this, however,     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

in Medical "ontologies" such as Gene Ontology and SNOMED-CT. Also, what of Dublin Core and good ol' RDF?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI)

Sebastian Schaffert: @ AlexGarcia: not necessarily, we also discussed heavily in the community how to annotate parts of pages     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

Sebastian Schaffert: take the Wikipedia page about the computer mouse     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

Sebastian Schaffert: it would be useful to annotate each section differently, because it is about many historical mice     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

JoelNatividad: @Tim: Great stuff! Would love to see what your team put together.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

JoelNatividad: @Tim: Great stuff! Would love to check out the work that your team did     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

AlexGarcia: can u track changes over anything else but pages?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

Sebastian Schaffert: @ AlexGarcia: yes, in KiWi we implemented versioning and transactions for metadata     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP)

JoelNatividad: Actually, I'm currently working on embedding semantic metadata in the SVG XML files that SRF-Ploticus produces.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

AlexGarcia: is there any literature on that?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

JohnMcClure: Markus' concern is that an ns organization conflicts with     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

one's ability to 'categorize' things in multiple ways.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAU)

There are several responses to this. First, don't overlook the     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAV)

impace of REDIRECTS. Second, consider closely whether the structure     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW)

of the ontology is ill-fitting wrt the implemented namespaces.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX)

Christoph Lange: @ AlexGarcia: the page can remain the atomic unit, but then we need good refactoring workflows     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY)

in case a page grows more complex (and subconcepts emerge within a page)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

Sebastian Schaffert: on the versioning? we are working on an article     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

Yaron Koren: Sorry, what was the question? I couldn't hear it.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC)

Markus Kroetzsch: @John: My point is: categories already do that, are well known, and have support     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

by advanced UIs even for searching. So why try to use MW namespaces?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

Sebastian Schaffert: who would find this useful? I would find it awkward     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG)

Markus Kroetzsch: @John: I agree that it could be conceived, even though it would not play well     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

with the technical use of namespaces now (e.g. namespaces cannot be added     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI)

from the wiki but only server-side)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

Daniel Schwabe: @ AlexGarcia - there is a whole series of work on model-based interface specification.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

If you want to get a flavor of what's possible, some is exemplified in our HDEWiki demo:     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

JohnMcClure: I don't believe there is any ontology for defining a category.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

(Unless you wanna raise Topic Maps v Ontology debate)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

Markus Kroetzsch: well, I think we are talking of different things here     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

JoelNatividad: In my ideal world, users will work on their documents using familiar interfaces and then     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

the knowledge is published on Semantic Wiki     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

Sebastian Schaffert: intuitiveness means known patterns of use     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAU)

Further, mw searching does understand ns's and categories.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW)

Certainly I acknowledge that there's a break with categories in some sense.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX)

But this is called 'emerging ke' right     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY)

AlexGarcia: Hi Christoph, how could the re-factoring be done?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

JoelNatividad: and other users can further annotate on Wiki, and if it can be done,     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

the annotations are round-tripped down to the document     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

Guoqian Jiang: @Markus, We are using RDF output from SMW for processing proposals generated from LexWiki     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

Peter Dolog: @Joel: And this is exactly also a big challenge for us as researchers     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

Peter Dolog: i.e. how to make it simpler to make     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG)

Jesse Wang: We are doing something at Vulcan.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

Peter Dolog: because program we can always     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI)

Peter Dolog: but how everybody can do that?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

Christoph Lange: @ AlexGarcia: in Wikipedia it is done manually. Whenever a subsection (e.g. history of Italy)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

grows too large, somebody first puts a warning there (this should be rolled out to     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

an article of its own), then somebody else does that, and replaces the former section     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

by a short summary, and fixes links on other pages pointing to the subtopic     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

Markus Kroetzsch: we are also working on solutions for inter-wiki data exchange and integration     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP)

-- I would like to collect input on what people need     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

Christoph Lange: @ AlexGarcia: Now assume semantic structures on pages (e.g. saying this paragraph     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

is a subconcept of type T), then a semantic wiki could assist with that     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

Tim Finin: gotta go. Thanks for all the fish     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

JohnMcClure: @Sebastian - Users find it useful that place:White House involves its own set of tools     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAU)

Markus Kroetzsch: we plan to release software for exchanging data between wikis (instead of copying it     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAV)

from one wiki to the other by duplicating pages); use cases could affect our design choices     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW)

Guoqian Jiang: @Markus, we are really interested in the future plan for RDF/OWL backend of SMW     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX)

Markus Kroetzsch: well, feel free to write an email     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY)

Markus Kroetzsch: (I think the session stops rather soon)     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

Guoqian Jiang: @Markus, yes, talk to you later by email     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

Sebastian Schaffert: @John: how about the page about the place which is called "White House" involving     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

their own tools instead of placing it on the link?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC)

Markus Kroetzsch: ok, just bear with me being slow processing mails; quite some of them these days ...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

Daniel Schwabe: @MarkusK - why not use LOD as the underlying basis to share content between wikis?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

AlexGarcia: @ Joel: having a semantic structure supporting the generation of documents could     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG)

make it possible to produce scientific papers, for instance, fully annotated.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

This could deliver an OLD environment over the paper. I think that when supporting     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI)

the generation of documents the annotation should happen naturally and without any effort,     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

the document being generated should be immerse in the web by means of relationships over     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

those data types contained in the paper.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

Markus Kroetzsch thanks Mark and Rudi for chairing this session, and Peter for setting this up     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

JoelNatividad: plaudits to the all the conveners, Peter in particular!     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Daniel: done by KiWi and planned for extension     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

JohnMcClure: Users find it useful that place:* is in effect, a geo database     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP)

That White House is an article ABOUT something (like the place:White House     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

Of course, you can see metastatements abound     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

AlexGarcia: Thanks everybody     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

Daniel Schwabe: @SebastianS - great, will take a closer look!     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX)

Christoph Lange thanks the organizers and all participants     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

JoelNatividad: any news about 2nd User Group Meeting of SMW?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

Daniel Schwabe: Bye all, thanks for the interesting exchange!     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Daniel: essentially, if you access the KiWi system with a client that     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

sends "Accepts: application/rdf" it redirects to     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

Peter P. Yim: Great session ... Mark, Rudi and everyone! Thank you all for a most wonderful mini-series!     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)

Yaron Koren: @Joel - I guess there's no news.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

Yaron Koren: The plan was to have one in Germany in May or so...     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

Sebastian Schaffert: @Daniel: the key is to use URIs that are "local" to the server domain     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

Sebastian Schaffert: which can be problematic if you want at the same time use ontologies     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

Yaron Koren: We could have one instead in the U.S., if there's interest.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

JoelNatividad: Count me in, perhaps we can time it with SemTech     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

Yaron Koren: Yeah... although I'm not going to that one.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP)

Yaron Koren: Is anyone from SMW presenting there, do you know?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

Sebastian Schaffert: Markus apparently tried to submit a presentation     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

Yaron Koren: That was me. Unless Markus did too.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

JoelNatividad: I also submitted one but the passed on it as well     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

JoelNatividad: like Markus said     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAV)

JoelNatividad: mail filters     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW)

Yaron Koren: So, are you still planning to go?     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX)

JoelNatividad: I am. Particularly since Mark said they were planning to host some SMW sessions     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY)

Yaron Koren: Well, I guess that's where the 2nd SMW user meeting will be, then.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

JoelNatividad: Great! Maybe we should continue the planning on semediawiki-user mailing list     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

Yaron Koren: Sure, feel free to send an email. I still don't think I'm going.     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC)

JoelNatividad: k. bye all!     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

Peter P. Yim: bye everyone! a big THANK YOU to all, once again!     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

-- end of chat transcript --     (1L2AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

Audio Recording of this Session     (1M)


For the record ...     (1M6)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1N)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1N4)