From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]
    (1)
Number 19
Duration 1.5 hour
Date/Time May 04 2015 15:00 GMT
7:00 PST/10:00 EST
3:00pm BST/4:00pm CET
Convener MikeBennett

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG     (2)

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.     (3)

This week we will focus on actions for an issue of the Journal of Applied Ontology.     (5)

Agenda     (6)

Proceedings     (7)

[10:03] Mike Bennett: Agenda     (7A)

[10:04] Mike Bennett: April's meeting must have been so informal we did not retain the chat log.     (7O)

[10:05] Mike Bennett: What we should have done is record that fact, since now we are scratching our heads about the missing chat log!     (7P)

[10:09] Mike Bennett: Journal Issue:     (7Q)

[10:09] Mike Bennett: We recognized that we did not need to start from an "available date" for an issue and work backwards, but rather work from the durations involved and work forwards.     (7R)

[10:10] Mike Bennett: Here's the draft CfP from the March chat log - we just need to plug in the dates on the below:     (7S)

The IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) Special Interest Group [ontolog-02.cim3.net] welcomes the submission of papers (minimum of xx pages) discussing the role of ontologies in the areas of Linked Data, Big Data and the Semantic Web. Our goal is to collect a diverse set of practical, methodological and research-oriented papers concerned with the use of ontologies in support of these areas, with a focus on content-specific integration and modelling issues.     (7W)

Expanding on the topics highlighted in the Ontology Summit 2014 Communique [ontolog.cim3.net], submissions should be concerned with:     (7X)

  • The role that ontologies play (or can play) in Linked Data, Big Data and Semantic Web Applications     (7Y)
  • Engineering of ontologies to address integration and domain-specific modeling issues     (7Z)
  • Sharing and reuse of ontologies within and across application or domain areas     (7AA)
  • Automation and tooling in support of ontology development     (7AB)

Papers should be formatted and submitted according to the guidelines of the IAOA Journal of Applied Ontology [www.iaoa.org]. The guidelines are found under the tab, "Manuscript submissions & Author instructions".     (7AC)

Important dates     (7AD)

xxx, 2015: Submission Deadline     (7AE)

xxx, 2015: Notification to Authors     (7AF)

xxx, 2015: Camera-ready Due     (7AG)

[10:11] Mike Bennett: In the April meeting, there was a chat log but there was some issue in the "end by email" option after the meeting.     (7AH)

[10:12] Mike Bennett: Whether the current "Special Edition" changes our plans or timings in any way?     (7AI)

[10:15] Mike Bennett: Topic-wise: not much overlap between the two: these are very broad topics, while SWAO has a more specific focus.     (7AK)

[10:15] Mike Bennett: Do we know what date the edition is that is the 10th anniversary?     (7AL)

[10:15] Mike Bennett: Submission date (other than for position papers) is July 15 so we would want to avoid this.     (7AM)

[10:16] Mike Bennett: Should we try to get some paper(s) on the SWAO topics in the 10th Anniversary edition?     (7AN)

[10:16] Mike Bennett: This would whet the appetite for a follow on.     (7AO)

[10:16] Mike Bennett: (Mike's voice is lagging by about 10 seconds)     (7AP)

[10:17] Mike Bennett: Timing for follow-on: say a quarter cycle from that?     (7AQ)

[10:17] Mike Bennett: Topics: Big data, Semantic Web, Linked Data etc. and convergence of these with Applied Ontology.     (7AR)

[10:18] Mike Bennett: Q: Did we publish anything from last year's Summit?     (7AS)

[10:18] Mike Bennett: A: Only the communique     (7AT)

[10:18] Mike Bennett: Position Paper: Would be a good idea?     (7AU)

[10:20] Mike Bennett: For instance, the need for greater convergence between Applied Ontology, Semantic Web, Big Data - this was the outcome of last year's Summit and a motivator for this SWAO SIG.     (7AV)

[10:21] Mike Bennett: Co-editors would not be eligible to propose papers in the (a) (b) and (c) categories in the 10th Anniversary edition, but that doesn't prevent Leo being able to author or co-author a Position Paper.     (7AW)

[10:22] Mike Bennett: How long after the 10th Anniversary Special Edition, would the SWAO thing be most appropriate?     (7AX)

[10:24] Mike Bennett: Our deadlines would be such that our Call would still be due before the 10th Anniversary SE , but we can leave enough of a gap to get some interest and momentum.     (7AY)

[10:24] Mike Bennett: Meanwhile we should talk to Nicola directly and let him know we are proposing doing this edition, and make sure we are not interfering with this 10th Anniversary edition.     (7AZ)

[10:25] Mike Bennett: We will ask him, is it OK to post the Call for Papers now / soon, or would this interfere.     (7AAA)

[10:25] Mike Bennett: Action: Leo will contact Nicola on this.     (7AAB)

[10:26] Mike Bennett: Action: In parallel with this, Mike will add up the durations in the process, per March chat log action, so that once we are ready to push the button we know what the dates should be.     (7AAC)

[10:27] Mike Bennett: Where are we with other aspects of the Special Edition for SWAO?     (7AAD)

[10:28] Mike Bennett: Durations - see notes above     (7AAE)

[10:28] Mike Bennett: Co-editors?     (7AAF)

[10:28] Mike Bennett: Ken would be one co-editor     (7AAG)

[10:28] Mike Bennett: Mike would be another     (7AAH)

[10:29] Mike Bennett: What other kinds of people need to be identified e.g. reviewers?     (7AAI)

[10:29] Mike Bennett: Whenever the call goes out, we should address it to the panelists who participated in the 2014 Ontology Summit.     (7AAJ)

[10:29] Mike Bennett: (we want them to submit papers).     (7AAK)

[10:30] Mike Bennett: We should compile a potential list of reviewers - ideally drawn from the SWAO SIG, but there should be others too.     (7AAL)

[10:32] Mike Bennett: How this process works: a paper gets submitted, then one of the Associate Editors (or the Editors in Chief i.e. Nicola Guarino and Mark Musen), would, (based on who is responsible for a given domain), when a proposal comes in via the workflow paper management system, someone would agree to be the responsible editor for that paper, and it is up to that person to select reviewers.     (7AAM)

[10:32] Mike Bennett: The automated workflow generates email and so on.     (7AAN)

[10:32] Mike Bennett: Reviewers may be people already listed as being on the Editorial Board etc. but could also be new people.     (7AAO)

[10:33] Mike Bennett: Then reviewer either agrees to it or not.     (7AAP)

[10:33] Mike Bennett: Mike B got such a request - hadn't previously realised that reviewers can be chosen that way rather than being on a pre-existing list. That makes out process a lot easier than I thought.     (7AAQ)

[10:34] Mike Bennett: We should aim for 2 or 3 reviewers per paper.     (7AAR)

[10:34] Mike Bennett: Outcomes = accept, minor revisions, major revisions or outright reject. Most papers are minor or major revisions.     (7AAS)

[10:35] Mike Bennett: So once the first reviews are compiled and characterized, we might have some discussion among the reviewers, to deal with any unusually wide ranges of opinions.     (7AAT)

[10:35] Mike Bennett: Then the paper author responds, with updated version, and often also documents how they have taken into account the review comments.     (7AAU)

[10:35] Mike Bennett: Reviews may be named or anonymous, typically at the choice of the reviewer.     (7AAV)

[10:36] Mike Bennett: After the revised version is submitted, there is a 2nd review, ideally with the same reviewers.     (7AAW)

[10:36] Mike Bennett: Once final decision is made, the process for going to press is quite fast.     (7AAX)

[10:38] Mike Bennett: There is some minor editorial activity by the Journal editors (Nicola and Mark) as part of that fast final process, typically in the course of a month.     (7AAY)

[10:38] Mike Bennett: There are 4 issues per year.     (7AAZ)

[10:39] Mike Bennett: Typical issues have 3 or 4 papers, of typically no more than 30 pages. We discussed lengths and concluded we would not put a limit but would expect 30 as an upper bound (see previous notes).     (7AAAA)

[10:39] Mike Bennett: Editorial Board?     (7AAAB)

[10:39] Mike Bennett: for the Issue     (7AAAC)

[10:40] Mike Bennett: See 10th Anniversary page: all 3 lists there are global.     (7AAAD)

[10:40] Mike Bennett: So there is no "Editorial Board" for the SWAO SIG issue specifically.     (7AAAE)

[10:41] Mike Bennett: One of Nicola or Mark would become the Lead Editor, and that's where they determine potential reviewers from these lists (or others).     (7AAAF)

[10:42] Mike Bennett: Conclusion: we do not need to come up with a longer list of people for the SWAO SIG edition.     (7AAAG)

[10:44] Mike Bennett: Is this right? Typically with a Special Edition, the co-editors (Mike and Ken) would de facto be control of the overall review process. They can choose editors to review or can choose external people to review, or both.     (7AAAH)

[10:44] Mike Bennett: We want to make extensive use of membership of the SWAO SIG itself     (7AAAI)

[10:44] Mike Bennett: Some of those may also want to submit stuff so we would need to de-conflict on that.     (7AAAK)

[10:45] Mike Bennett: Anything else on Special Edition?     (7AAAL)

[10:46] Mike Bennett: Leo will circulate the response he gets from Nicola about potential conflicts, times to fit around.     (7AAAN)

[10:47] Mike Bennett: Once we have this we can finalize any dates on the initial Call for Papers.     (7AAAO)

[10:47] Mike Bennett: Leo will Cc Ken and Mike.     (7AAAP)

[10:47] Mike Bennett: 2. Housekeeping     (7AAAQ)

[10:49] Mike Bennett: The options about URLs (whether to have the wiki within a single amespace versus as a trailing URI fragment). Oliver presented 2 options, one of which involves installing localld and the other of which involves DNS wizadry.     (7AAAR)

[10:50] Mike Bennett: We therefore had a choice to make, and some actions.     (7AAAS)

[10:50] Mike Bennett: Meanwhile the wiki is still where it was.     (7AAAT)

[10:50] Mike Bennett: Mike has his own website, domain and (locally installed) wiki and so is familiar with some of these variables.     (7AAAU)

[10:50] Mike Bennett: www.hypercube.co.uk     (7AAAV)

[10:51] Mike Bennett: so in this instance, self-installed wiki (no DNS trickery) is at http://www.hypercube.co.uk/incontext     (7AAAW)

[10:52] Mike Bennett: whereas with DNS control, the possibility is to have a wiki which already exists somewhere e.g. in the cloud, and redirect it to e.g. wiki.hypercube.co.uk     (7AAAX)

[10:53] Mike Bennett: or blog.hypercube.co.uk     (7AAAY)

[10:53] Mike Bennett: These are analogous to the 2 options we have for the SWAO Blog, vis a vis the IAOA domain and so on.     (7AAAZ)

[10:53] Mike Bennett: (I mean blog above not wiki!!)     (7AAAAA)

[10:54] Mike Bennett: So part of the question we were considering was also whether other SIGs would have DNS level entry e.g. swao.iaoa.org or whatever     (7AAAAB)

[10:54] Mike Bennett: Meanwhile we were looking at the StackOverflow type of thing     (7AAAAC)

[10:55] Mike Bennett: - either as a complement to the blog or instead of it.     (7AAAAD)

[10:55] Mike Bennett: Possibly that stuff is subject to the same 2 options and constraints.     (7AAAAE)

[10:56] Mike Bennett: Conclusions: we need to move forward with deciding between these two deployment options generally, and then carry out the necessary changes with the blog, the StackOverflow thing and so no.     (7AAAAF)

[10:56] Mike Bennett: Action: Mike to re-read Oliver's response and figure out next steps.     (7AAAAG)

[10:57] Mike Bennett: 3. Other ideas on information resources?     (7AAAAH)

[10:58] Mike Bennett: e.g. StackOverflow; also whether to pursue the library idea.     (7AAAAI)

[10:58] Mike Bennett: Nothing for now, we will pick this up at our next.     (7AAAAJ)

[10:58] Mike Bennett: Next Meeting?     (7AAAAL)

Previous Meetings     (8)