From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]
    (1)
Number 17
Duration 1.5 hour
Date/Time Mar 02 2015 15:00 GMT
7:00 PST/10:00 EST
3:00pm BST/4:00pm CET
Convener MikeBennett

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG     (2)

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.     (3)

Contents

Agenda     (5)

This week we will focus on actions for an issue of the Journal of Applied Ontology. The remaining housekeeping actions are in flight and we will consider whether to meet again in 2 weeks specifically on those matters, leaving the First Monday meeting free for longer term actions and activities.     (5A)

Agenda Details     (5B)

Attendees     (6)

Proceedings     (7)

[07:00] Mike Bennett: Apologies: Naicong Li, Elie Abi-Lahoud     (7A)

[07:09] Frank Loebe: MB: proposal to move administrative issues to separate meetings in 2 weeks time, focus today on the agenda as stated     (7B)

[07:10] Mike Bennett: Focus is the stuff from the 2014 Ontology Summit     (7C)

[07:11] Mike Bennett: What are the milestones in this process?     (7D)

[07:11] Mike Bennett: For example when to put out a call for contributions, how long to give authors to produce something.     (7E)

[07:12] Mike Bennett: We have a call for papers     (7F)

[07:12] Mike Bennett: This has been distributed within our mailing list.     (7G)

[07:12] Mike Bennett: This needs to be updated with the dates.     (7H)

[07:12] Mike Bennett: Decisions needed:     (7I)

[07:12] Mike Bennett: 1. Lead time for authors     (7J)

[07:13] Ken Baclawski: CFP: IAOA Journal of Applied Ontology Special Issue on the Role of Ontologies in Linked Data, Big Data and Semantic Web Applications     (7K)

The IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) Special Interest Group [ontolog-02.cim3.net] welcomes the submission of papers (minimum of xx pages) discussing the role of ontologies in the areas of Linked Data, Big Data and the Semantic Web. Our goal is to collect a diverse set of practical, methodological and research-oriented papers concerned with the use of ontologies in support of these areas, with a focus on content-specific integration and modelling issues. Expanding on the topics highlighted in the Ontology Summit 2014 Communique [ontolog.cim3.net], submissions should be concerned with:     (7L)

  • The role that ontologies play (or can play) in Linked Data, Big Data and Semantic Web Applications     (7M)
  • Engineering of ontologies to address integration and domain-specific modeling issues     (7N)
  • Sharing and reuse of ontologies within and across application or domain areas     (7O)
  • Automation and tooling in support of ontology development     (7P)

Papers should be formatted and submitted according to the guidelines of the IAOA Journal of Applied Ontology [www.iaoa.org]. The guidelines are found under the tab, "Manuscript submissions & Author instructions".     (7Q)


Important dates ---------------

[07:14] Mike Bennett: 2. Minimum number of pages     (7U)

[07:15] Mike Bennett: We can also use material from the workshop we proposed last year, which we can feed in to this.     (7V)

[07:16] Mike Bennett: Does the Journal require us to specify a minimum number of pages?     (7W)

[07:16] Frank Loebe: Applied Ontology does not, I think     (7X)

[07:16] Mike Bennett: The Workshop proposal had long + short papers, up to 10 pages. Do we want to impose that limit here.     (7Y)

[07:17] Mike Bennett: Put a suggested upper limit.     (7Z)

[07:17] Mike Bennett: Can tolerate shorter papers e.g. position papers.     (7AA)

[07:18] Mike Bennett: NB Position papers must be content-full, not "conversation starters" as one might have in a workshop.     (7AB)

[07:18] Mike Bennett: Given we don't know how many papers to expect, it might be useful to allow longer papers anyway.     (7AC)

[07:19] Mike Bennett: We can check with Oliver what his experience has been with previous such issues.     (7AD)

[07:19] Mike Bennett: Indicative number of pages rather than a hard limit, e.g. "10 to 12 pages"?     (7AE)

[07:19] Mike Bennett: Journal pages tend to be longer than conference / workshop papers anyway.     (7AF)

[07:20] Mike Bennett: Also compare with other recent calls, see e.g. the Semantic Web journal.     (7AG)

[07:20] Mike Bennett: Make sure that our call does not run in parallel with existing calls such as the above.     (7AH)

[07:20] Frank Loebe: [action] [FL] find recent call for similar special issue [07:21] Mike Bennett: Semantic Web journal website shows 4 deadlines but 3 are over. Open one is March 31.     (7AI)

[07:22] Mike Bennett: Categories...     (7AJ)

[07:23] Mike Bennett: Example call on SW journal ran from July to March. Only the submission deadline was given.     (7AK)

[07:24] Mike Bennett: Another example went from July to end of December (and already extended). = 6 months.     (7AL)

[07:25] Mike Bennett: Decisions on length:     (7AM)

[07:25] Mike Bennett: 1. We should say the typical length     (7AN)

[07:25] Mike Bennett: We should also say that papers up to 30 pages is also acceptable (make it clear people can send longer papers)     (7AO)

[07:26] Mike Bennett: What number of papers would typically be sufficient for one edition of the Journal?     (7AP)

[07:26] Mike Bennett: We should also consider inviting people from other communities to write position paper.     (7AQ)

[07:27] Mike Bennett: For this particular agenda, variety is key.     (7AR)

[07:28] Mike Bennett: Position papers are also very welcome, given we are carving out questions about what kinds of ontology modeling are appropriate for the different communities of Linked Data, Applied Ontology, Semantic Web, Big Data and so on.     (7AS)

[07:28] Mike Bennett: We should approach people who we think might have something to contribute.     (7AT)

[07:29] Mike Bennett: Suggestion: First deadline of 3 month, where we ask for position papers. Then consider longer papers on a 6 month time line.     (7AU)

[07:30] Mike Bennett: Position papers don't need to long to do.     (7AV)

[07:30] Mike Bennett: So we would ask for position papers later.     (7AW)

[07:31] Mike Bennett: So then we could approach people for possible position papers later, targeting people who might have something interesting or challenging to say.     (7AX)

[07:33] Mike Bennett: Notification - decide how long we need.     (7AY)

[07:34] Frank Loebe: LO: We should target speakers and panelists of the 2014 Ontology Summit     (7AZ)

[07:34] Mike Bennett: Camera-ready: determine based on what the publisher's lead time is.     (7AAA)

[07:35] Mike Bennett: Introductory comment: by the editors of the Special Issue, that introduces the papers. This can also provide some general comment / scene setting, and the history.     (7AAB)

[07:35] Mike Bennett: Review model:     (7AAC)

[07:36] Mike Bennett: We would need to assemble an editorial team that would do the reviews.     (7AAD)

[07:37] Mike Bennett: Usual process is that some Lead Editor (handling editor) assumes responsibility for the incoming submissions, then designates various people to review the papers.     (7AAE)

[07:37] Mike Bennett: Expect 1 month (this is fast) or 2 month review time (more usual in practice)     (7AAF)

[07:37] Mike Bennett: Accept v Reject: there is also "Accept with Changes" - leading up to the Camera-ready date.     (7AAG)

[07:38] Mike Bennett: How long should we give people to re-work their paper after comments?     (7AAH)

[07:39] Mike Bennett: Communication: Leo has had some communication with Nicola, and Andrea has had some comms with Michael Gruninger who has also spoken to Nicola.     (7AAI)

[07:40] Mike Bennett: Action: Set up a team - including guest editor(s) taking on the role of handling editor.     (7AAJ)

[07:40] Mike Bennett: Typically: 2 main editors in charge of the issue, ad the reviewer / editorials board we provide.     (7AAK)

[07:41] Mike Bennett: Recruiting reviewers: we can ask folks from this group, but also people we know from different areas. Including external folks.     (7AAL)

[07:41] Frank Loebe: + incl. usual AO editorial board members     (7AAM)

[07:42] Mike Bennett: For this issue in particular, it's important we are seen to have reviews from a broad cross section of the target communities / reviews by the appropriate community.     (7AAN)

[07:42] Mike Bennett: Also there may be newer aspects of our topic that we would want to call out.     (7AAO)

[07:43] Mike Bennett: Can we aim for March?     (7AAP)

[07:44] Mike Bennett: Before we finalize this we should also run it by someone who has previously done a special issue.     (7AAQ)

[07:45] Mike Bennett: Official feedback from Nicola and Mark Musen.     (7AAR)

[07:45] Mike Bennett: Secondary feedback from people who have done special issues, both for AO and others like SW Journal.     (7AAS)

[07:45] Mike Bennett: Also get a sense of what sort of responses they got and so on.     (7AAT)

[07:45] Mike Bennett: Can we put a stake in the ground on some of these figures, to prime those questions?     (7AAU)

[07:46] Mike Bennett: This needs to happen in the next few days.     (7AAV)

[07:46] Mike Bennett: We already have the template for the CfP (see above).     (7AAW)

[07:46] Mike Bennett: When we have some feedback we can with finalize via email or meet again as needed.     (7AAX)

[07:47] Mike Bennett: Then target the list and the individuals we want to send it to.     (7AAY)

[07:47] Mike Bennett: Action: put together a list of people from last years' Summit.     (7AAZ)

[07:47] Mike Bennett: We also have a distribution list from the 2014 Ontology Summit that we can use.     (7AAAA)

[07:48] Mike Bennett: Provisional figures:     (7AAAB)

[07:48] Mike Bennett: 1. Provisional duration for review process     (7AAAC)

[07:49] Mike Bennett: 2. Provisional duration for authors to turn around comments, and reviewers re-review them (1 month?)     (7AAAD)

[07:50] Mike Bennett: Pre-preparation - we can approach people and get them to send a short abstract, thereby locking in their interest.     (7AAAE)

[07:50] Mike Bennett: Let's give 2 to 3 weeks for this initial process - time for them to send in an abstract.     (7AAAF)

[07:51] Mike Bennett: (again we will run this past others to see if this matches their experiences)     (7AAAG)

[07:51] Mike Bennett: Oliver Kurtz did a couple of issues lately, and can give us some feedback.     (7AAAH)

[07:52] Mike Bennett: Frank will speak to someone who did a similar thing at the SW Journal.     (7AAAI)

[07:52] Mike Bennett: Would also get some idea of the size and structure of the Guest Editorial Board.     (7AAAJ)

[07:52] Mike Bennett: 2 - 5 people is typical.     (7AAAK)

[07:52] Mike Bennett: These would also be expected to act as reviewers.     (7AAAL)

[07:54] Mike Bennett: We can run this a lot more interactively than a typical journal issue, as we would interact with the folks who participated last year, plus ideas for new people who would have something more to say in the same topics.     (7AAAM)

[07:54] Mike Bennett: Some expressions of interest might not result in a paper - it's not a guarantee.     (7AAAN)

[07:55] Mike Bennett: That is, we would engage them but we might not lock them in.     (7AAAO)

[07:55] Mike Bennett: Get an abstract from them anyway.     (7AAAP)

[07:56] Mike Bennett: Turnaround of comments = 1 month     (7AAAQ)

[07:57] Mike Bennett: Review: 6 weeks or 2 months?     (7AAAR)

[07:59] Mike Bennett: Time from the submission deadline, to the "Yes, No or Yes with comments" would be 6 weeks     (7AAAS)

[07:59] Mike Bennett: But the time we give to reviewers would be a month, so we have space for turnaround.     (7AAAT)

[07:59] Mike Bennett: Use EasyChair     (7AAAU)

[07:59] Mike Bennett: Who assigns the reviewers to the submissions?     (7AAAV)

[08:00] Mike Bennett: The assigning is done via EasyChair, one of the people on the editorial board would need to do that.     (7AAAW)

[08:00] Mike Bennett: For external reviewers, we would invite reviewers for Applied Ontology, give the email address, and then grant them access to the EasyChair thing as well.     (7AAAX)

[08:01] Mike Bennett: who does the assignment?     (7AAAY)

[08:01] Mike Bennett: Editorial Board members would usually bid for what papers they want to review. this doesn't account for how external reviewers are handled.     (7AAAZ)

[08:02] Mike Bennett: The structure in AO has changed since September - the Eds in Chief (Mark and Nicola), then there are also Associate Editors who are like a handling editor. All of them see a new Ms that comes in.     (7AAAAA)

[08:03] Mike Bennett: Associate editors automatically get notice that a Ms has been received, and can indicate interest, thereby becoming the handling editor for that.     (7AAAAB)

[08:03] Mike Bennett: We can query Nicola to see if the structure would be the same for the Special Issue.     (7AAAAC)

[08:04] Mike Bennett: We would need to grant everyone on the Special Issue Ed Board, the same access.     (7AAAAD)

[08:04] Mike Bennett: We need to get clarified fro Nicola about that.     (7AAAAE)

[08:05] Mike Bennett: Internally we could use EasyChair, or we might go through the hoops at IoSPress. Can use either.     (7AAAAF)

[08:05] Mike Bennett: Can switch to the IoS Press system for the final version.     (7AAAAG)

[08:05] Mike Bennett: Conclusion: 1 or 2 week overhead in assigning reviews, add that to the time we give the reviewers after they have agreed. That latter: 4 weeks at least.     (7AAAAH)

[08:06] Mike Bennett: Allow for summer - if Review cycle overlaps with July or August we would allow more time for that.     (7AAAAI)

[08:07] Mike Bennett: Action: Mike to plug in the numbers and circulate to the group.     (7AAAAJ)

[08:08] Mike Bennett: Others to use this draft schedule as what they use to get feedback from the above folks who have done this.     (7AAAAK)

[08:08] Mike Bennett: Next meeting: 1st Monday in April.     (7AAAAL)

[08:08] Mike Bennett: Therefore, if we get the call out by end of March, gives us to September for writing submissions.     (7AAAAM)

[08:08] Mike Bennett: Therefore call has to be out before next regular meeting.     (7AAAAN)

[08:08] Mike Bennett: Expect to meet before the April meeting on this.     (7AAAAO)

[08:09] Mike Bennett: We could use the meeting in 2 weeks to do partly this and partly the Housekeeping.     (7AAAAP)

[08:09] Mike Bennett: March 16.     (7AAAAQ)

[08:10] Mike Bennett: Would allow us to finalize the call the week after - aim for March 20 to be out and publicized by the end of March.     (7AAAAR)


Previous Meetings     (8)