From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

"SemanticWiki" mini-series Planning Meeting - ConferenceCall_2008_09_18 - Preparation     (1)

This page is intended to be the workspace for the preparation of the "Semantic Wiki" mini-series Planning Meeting scheduled for Thursday 2008.09.18     (1B)


  • List of people we want to invite, as presenters in the series ... and hence, would like to have them join us at the 2008.09.18 planning session to help map out the program, and discuss scheduling issues     (1C)
    • ( ... add pertinent names/institutions/projects here)     (1C1)
This is a followup to today's conference. First, let me point you at a couple of examples of what we have been doing with the Semantic MediaWiki.     (1F)
We are co-developing an ontology curation environment with the National Cancer Institute. The wiki itself can be seen at http://biomedgt.nci.nih.gov.     (1G)
We are also in the process of creating a curation environment for the next generation of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) using SMW as well. I'll see whether I can find a public web site but, for the moment, a good presentation on what is all about (w/ screenshots) can be found at: http://bioontology.org/videos/ChrisChute042908small/NCBO_ICD11_29Apr08.ppt ... [Followup - the site still isn't officially public. ...]     (1H)
I have done some experimentation with the UN Food and Agriculture Association's AGROVOC. There is a prototype at http://wiktolog.com/agrowiki, although there are a number of things that are currently broken. I have an improved version available internally that is almost ready for upload and hope to complete it in the next couple of weeks. ...     (1I)
With respect to the forum: I would propose that we start with a session (or 2 if needed) about existing technology. In particular, I would like to get a presentation from Markus Krotzsch or representative on SMW, a second on SMW Halo (I've got a couple of contacts that I can draw on if necessary and a third from Yaron Koren or representative on Semantic Forms. In addition, we need to invite alternative implementations such as IkeWiki, Semantic Community, BOWiki, etc. (BOWiki, I'm not sure about, as I'd like to have one set of sessions focused on technology and a second on implementations.)     (1J)
When it comes to implementations, we have the work we've done at Mayo, BOWiki and I'm sure there could be dozens of others that could be drawn on. If necessary, I'd like to focus on implementations that could wrap around and augment an existing OOR.     (1K)
Harold, you have done an excellent job in in using semantic wiki, and we share     (1M)

the common belief that semantic wiki really fits in collaborative ontology creation.     (1N)

You have done an excellent job in in using semantic wiki, and we share the common belief that semantic wiki really fits in collaborative ontology creation.     (1O)

Setting up semantic wiki sessions are very helpful, and we should also run some demos (the nci wiki will be a very good example) to show (1) it is easy for end users to read from wiki article; (2) it is not hard for end users to add content to wiki; (3) it is not very hard for developers to program wiki scripts and templates.     (1P)

In particular to OOR, we should also consider using wiki to build     (1Q)

ontology for ontology, i.e. the metadata for ontologies.     (1R)

You can also see our experiences at http://tw.rpi.edu which maintains     (1S)

a group website, and http://tw.rpi.edu/portal, another wiki that aims at cleaning up wiki scripts and SMW vocabularies for annotating things.Setting up semantic wiki sessions are very helpful, and we should also run some demos (the nci wiki will be a very good example) to show (1) it is easy for end users to read from wiki article; (2) it is not hard for end users to add content to wiki; (3) it is not very hard for developers to program wiki scripts and templates.     (1T)

In particular to OOR, we should also consider using wiki to build     (1U)

ontology for ontology, i.e. the metadata for ontologies.     (1V)

You can also see our experiences at http://tw.rpi.edu which maintains     (1W)

a group website, and http://tw.rpi.edu/portal, another wiki that aims at cleaning up wiki scripts and SMW vocabularies for annotating things.     (1X)

Your program suggestion is great!     (1Z)
Given the range of related work in the area (besides what you've     (1AA)

pointed out already, see the range we were discussing at the Ontolog planning session - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_08_21/WhatsInStore#nid1L14 ), I think we could use more than 1 (or even 2) session to give everyone the exposure and the more in depth look into semantic wiki. I would suggest we consider starting a mini-series (like the OKMDS mini-series or the "Database and Ontology" mini-series, which we started with the intention of running six sessions in 6 months, and ended up doing it for more than a year.) ... Ref. http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OKMDS & http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DatabaseAndOntology     (1AB)

A successful format we used for those was to schedule a "Program     (1AC)

Planning" meeting, and then a "Kick-off" session with the three of us outlining the program to draw the community's attention and a keynote presentation (say, having someone from Karlsruhe do it would probably be appropriate.) Augmented by posts to the [ontolog-forum] to build up the momentum, we can probably round up good community awareness and participation that way.     (1AD)

We could (and should) work toward getting the "Planning Meeting" for     (1AE)

this series going in September. 9/18 looks like a plausible date     (1AF)


Some of the individuals we would like to see at this planning session     (1AG)

  • from: Mayo / WHO / Karlsruhe / RPI / Vulcan / SRI / BMIR / CIM3-NEU / ...     (1AG1)
  • Action: 2008.09.12     (1AG7)
    • check if the idea of this being a "joint TW-Mayo-Ontolog mini-series" would work for our respective groups     (1AG7A)
    • Peter to get draft agenda of the 9/18 planning meeting ready on 2008.08.12 and announce it over the [ontolog-invitation] list     (1AG7B)
    • Li-Harold-Peter will then write the respective candidate presenters and try to get them to join us at the 9/18 planning call     (1AG7C)
    • Harold-Li-Jie-Peter will confer again on Mon 2008.09.14 (11am EDT?) to work on (a) an agenda, (b) a strawman program for the mini-series, and (c) a few slides to help kick-off the 9/18 planning meeting with.     (1AG7D)
  • consider casting this as a joint TW-Mayo-Salzburg-...-Ontolog mini-series     (1AG8)
    • would be nice if folks from Karlsruhe and/or Salzburg could participate in the leadership team and their institution(s) join as a co-organizer too     (1AG8A)
    • Harold will contact GQ Zhang and ask him to possibly join us in the organizing team and/or present at the kick-off session of the mini-series     (1AG8B)
    • Ontolog-OK, Li & Harold to confirm with TW & Mayo     (1AG8C)
    • Li to pursue with Karlsruhe; Peter to pursue with Salzburg     (1AG8D)
    • need written confirmation, their designate on the leadership team, and how the institutions want to their participation to be "labeled" as     (1AG8E)
      • "Semantic Wiki Mini-series" -     (1AG8F1)
      • Li: use: "RPI Tetherless World Constellation" for labeling researchers from RPI.     (1AG8F2)
      • Harold: ok to use "Mayo" in the heading of the meeting and "Mayo Clinic" or "Mayo Clinic Department of Biomedical Statistics and Informatics" on the list of organizers     (1AG8F3)
      • Sebastian: My "label": Sebastian Schaffert, Salzburg Research, Austria     (1AG8F4)

2008.09.18 Agenda Ideas     (1AI)

Title: Semantic Wiki mini-series     (1AI4)

Format / Span     (1AI5)

  • ___ months, ___ panel sessions [--t/b discussed at the 9/18 session]     (1AI5A)
  • Panel sessions (definitely) ... do we want to augment this with a forum (mailing list) discussion? [--t/b discussed at the 9/18 session]     (1AI5B)
    • Harold: good to have a mailing list     (1AI5B1)
      • Peter: is someone else already running a similar list that we can collaborate with and direct the conversations over there     (1AI5B1A)
      • Peter: one possibility is to start on [ontolog-forum], if traffic builds quickly, we'll spin that off to a separate list     (1AI5B1B)

Opening Slides     (1AI7)


Other candidate presentations     (1AI8)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1AI8B)