From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]
    (1)
Number 60
Duration 1 hour
Date/Time November 5 2018 18:30 GMT
10:30 PST/1:30pm EST
6:30pm GMT/7:30pm CET
Convener Mike Bennett

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG     (2)

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.     (3)

  • Summer Time has ended in both the US and Europe     (5)

Contents

Agenda     (6)

1. Housekeeping     (6A)

2. Events     (6C)

  • Finance and ontology event in Summer 2019 (joint with others - how can SWAO help?)     (6D)
  • Shared events calendar - next steps     (6E)

3. Discussion of new initiatives     (6F)

  • There is still seemingly a significant gulf between Applied Ontology and Semantic Web perceptions of ontology; how can this SIG work to bridge the gap, identify commonalities etc.?     (6G)
  • IOF Liaison / actions     (6H)
  • Definitions of ontology and related terms – see IAOA glossary     (6I)
  • Blogging?     (6J)
  • Networking – e.g. NE University contacts; CDO group in Boston; MITIQ; OMG Academic Liaison WG; Accounting (XBRL etc.) groups     (6K)

5. Next Meeting     (6M)

Proceedings     (7)

[13:38] MikeBennett: Actions from last time:     (7A)

[13:38] MikeBennett: Events spreadsheet - not done yet (MB)     (7B)

[13:38] MikeBennett: Ken's actions: Checked with North Eastern on use of space for the Summer event.     (7C)

[13:39] MikeBennett: Expensive at USD $360 per day per room (discounted rate for non external, which they are counting us as).     (7D)

[13:40] MikeBennett: What does the shape of the event look like (Michael Gruninger's event).     (7E)

[13:40] MikeBennett: Counter-proposal is to have this co-located with JOWO.     (7F)

[13:40] MikeBennett: These are to be held in Germany.     (7G)

[13:41] MikeBennett: Has anyone spoken to Michael G about the Financial ontology event specifically.     (7H)

[13:41] MikeBennett: This is based on feedback at the IAOA EC based on the rates cited for North Eastern.     (7I)

[13:41] MikeBennett: At the JOWO event, the facilities would be free.     (7J)

[13:43] MikeBennett: Other actions: try o contact folks in the Finance group at North Eastern. Done, got zero response. Not interested in ontologies or FIBO.     (7K)

[13:43] MikeBennett: Ken got an email from the EDM Council about a FIBO group.     (7L)

[13:44] MikeBennett: This would be the new FIBO User Group set up by Mike Atkin     (7M)

[13:52] MikeBennett: Networking: new OMG academic liaison WG - worth connecting to?     (7N)

[13:57] MikeBennett: MB to set up an intro email between Ken B and Claude Baudoin of the OMG Academic WG.     (7O)

[14:02] MikeBennett: There is an IAOA group dealing with standards liaison. Seems to have faded away of late.     (7P)

[14:03] MikeBennett: So if the OMG liaison seems fruitful one can take this to that WG?     (7Q)

[14:04] MikeBennett: This group has been more focused on how standards define terms (thereby, implicitly defining an ontology)     (7R)

[14:05] MikeBennett: Conversely, a good ontology should be a standard for its domain.     (7S)

[14:06] MikeBennett: This IAOA WG was intended to progress this idea.     (7T)

[14:10] MikeBennett: IAOA Glossary     (7U)

[14:10] MikeBennett: This is maintained by the Education Committee.     (7V)

[14:11] MikeBennett: The EdC is looking for a new chair. Meeting this Wednesday (10am EST)     (7W)

[14:11] MikeBennett: Do we have any actions on this?     (7X)

[14:11] MikeBennett: Review the Wikipedia page on that. Make sure up to date and reasonable; send feedback.     (7Y)

[14:11] MikeBennett: Can also edit those pages.     (7Z)

[14:12] MikeBennett: Would Maria mind or should we tell her first?     (7AA)

[14:12] MikeBennett: TS: Look at the existing list of terms ad see if these are adequate.     (7AB)

[14:13] MikeBennett: Aim was to provide the most common definition definitions.     (7AC)

[14:13] MikeBennett: Also have citations for those definitions.     (7AD)

[14:13] MikeBennett: This set of pages is still being run at UCT in Cape Town.     (7AE)

[14:14] MikeBennett: KB may propose bringing this into the existing IAOA wiki structures.     (7AF)

[14:15] MikeBennett: The IAOA site is on Digital Ocean and is professionally managed as to server support.     (7AG)

[14:15] MikeBennett: KB may attend the EdC meeting and suggest this.     (7AH)

[14:20] ToddSchneider: "Deep Learning for Ontology Reasoning", Patrick Hohenecker, Thomas Lukasiewicz     (7AI)

Attendees     (8)

Next Meetings     (9)

Previous Meetings     (10)