From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]
    (1)
Number 23
Duration 1 hour
Date/Time September 14 2015 14:00 GMT
7:00 PST/10:00 EST
3:00pm BST/4:00pm CET
Convener MikeBennett

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG     (2)

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.     (3)

The main agenda items this week are to move forward on publicizing the Call for Papers and to look at any outstanding infrastructure issues that may affect this group.     (5)


Contents

Agenda     (6)

Meeting Outcomes (Actions and Decisions)     (7)

Actions     (7A)

Call for Papers / SWAO Special Edition     (7A1)

[15:11] Mike Bennett send Naicong Li a redline version of the CfP, to update the web page.     (7A1A)

[15:15] Ask [the AO Editors] what it means to be editors for the Special Issue, in terms of access i.e. will we be granted access or does the normal procedure take effect as built in?     (7A1B)

We don't know if there is a mechanism in place. If there isn't, presumably they would email them to Ken and Mike - we need to find out. We would need to have access to reviewers and so on. If we follow the usual AO procedures we would need to know how we interface to that.     (7A1C)

[15:18] Status of the action to mail all the co-champions of the tracks for Ontology Summit 2014 and invite them to (a) contribute and (b) approach their track panelists. If the co-champions don't respond then Mike and Ken can approach them directly.     (7A1D)

[15:24] Posting to lists: see Leo's list last month ([15:30] in the n.22 notes)     (7A1E)

[15:25] Mike or Ken to mail the CfP to all the ones on that list, analyze responses, and send Leo a list of any that required us to join and we were unable to join.     (7A1F)

[15:26] Any we can't join, we can ask Leo to post to that one.     (7A1G)

[15:27] Start a spreadsheet with information on which ones are moderated, which ones require joining and so on.     (7A1H)

[15:28] Also as well as distribution lists, ��� post to known interested individuals, which is the list we referred to above i.e. OS co-champions etc.     (7A1I)

[15:41] We should aim to get a link to [the SWAO Events page with CfP details], on the main www.iaoa.org page.     (7A1J)

[15:45] Mike Bennett: Ask Michael Gruninger. There seems to be no dedicated contact for the website itself.     (7A1K)

Housekeeping: Move of wikis to ontologforum.org     (7A2)

[15:34] Ken Baclawski: I am waiting to get in touch with Tejas Parikh who has written the code for the wiki migration.     (7A2A)

[16:04] Mike Bennett will put up the provocative question; Andrea Westerinen will put up an initial answer. Ken Baclawski can put up a link to the dimensions thing from the Ontology Summit where this was discussed.     (7A3A)

[16:08] Mike Bennett: Mike to email Andrea after posting the provocative question.     (7A3B)

Decisions     (7B)

Call for Papers / SWAO Special Edition     (7B1)

[15:19] Develop a list of those participants as we go along, and so we can send any additional notices etc. to the people on that list. Keep them aware of progress. Reminders etc.     (7B1A)

[15:28] For personal emails - use Bcc. Alternatively we might have to use something like MailChimp to send emails to individuals.     (7B1B)

[15:39] Where to put the CfP? [that is, a definitive version for Ken and Leo and others to use as a basis for any emails sent to lists etc.; currently this is a Word document on Mike���s machine]     (7B1C)

[15:39] Decision: Put it on the wiki as well as the mailer     (7B1D)

[15:51] Decision: Definitive internal working version will be on the meeting page for today (n.23).     (7B1E)

[16:08] When you post something on the wiki and you want it to be verbatim rather than be able to be modified (e.g. for the CfP), put pre tags before and after (using the documented HTML pre tags [removed from this transcript to avoid escape issues])     (7B1F)

[15:20] Consider writing an introductory paper - Ken and Mike as introducers of the Special Issue. This would be more an introduction to the issue rather than an editorial. Highlighting where the 2014 OS came from, what's intended by the issue, brief recounting on the contributions that will be in the official issue.     (7B1G)


Proceedings     (8)

Attendees:     (8A)

Edited Chat Log     (8B)

[15:05] Mike Bennett: Apologies: Elie Abi-Lahoud     (8B1)

1. Special Issue of Applied Ontology

[15:06] Mike Bennett: Corrections from Nicola:     (8B2)

[15:06] Mike Bennett: 1. Name of the jounral is simply "Applied Ontology"     (8B3)

[15:07] Mike Bennett: Publisher is IOS Press     (8B4)

[15:08] Mike Bennett: Paragraph near the end, first sentence changed to read:     (8B5)

[15:08] Mike Bennett: "Papers should be formatted and submitted according to the guidelines of the IOS Press publication Applied Ontology [1], using the link Submit Manuscript on that page under Author Actions."     (8B6)

[15:08] Mike Bennett: and title changed to     (8B7)

[15:08] Mike Bennett: "Applied Ontology Special Issue on the Role of Ontologies in Linked Data, Big Data and Semantic Web Applications."     (8B8)

[15:11] Mike Bennett: [Action] Mike Bennett send Naicong Li a redline version of the CfP, to update the web page.     (8B9)

[15:12] Mike Bennett: Also we already updated it to make the submission mechanism be the ISO Press submission page, per Nicola and Mark earlier feedback.     (8B10)

[15:12] Mike Bennett: Q: How do we get access to the submissions?     (8B11)

[15:12] Mike Bennett: We don't know.     (8B12)

[15:13] Mike Bennett: There is an Editorial Board for the submission, and the thing has email workflow built into it, so this should presumably ensure that external editors for the issue (MikeBennett and KenBaclawski) would automatically get to see the submissions.     (8B13)

[15:13] Mike Bennett: For instance, the Anniversary Special Issue (Oct 1 deadline), just uses the normal editorial structure and process as typical for Applied Ontology.     (8B14)

[15:14] Mike Bennett: So a paper comes in, a person can volunteer to be a lead editor of ti, and can review it if they are interested - then it get assigned to someone who handles it, and that person establishes the 2 or 3 reviewers for that paper.     (8B15)

[15:14] Mike Bennett: If we are doing the same, we need to find out how the papers get through to Mike and Ken.     (8B16)

[15:15] Mike Bennett: [Action] ask them what it means to be editors for the Special Issue, in terms of access i.e. will we be granted access or does the normal procedure take effect as built in.     (8B17)

[15:15] Mike Bennett: We don't know if they change this for special issues or not (for this Anniversay Special Issue they did not).     (8B18)

[15:15] Mike Bennett: So we don't know if there is a mechanism in place.     (8B19)

[15:16] Mike Bennett: If there isn't, presumably they would email them to en and Mike - we need to find out. We would need to have access to reviewers and so on. If we follow the usual AO procedures we would need to know how we interface tothat.     (8B20)

[15:18] Mike Bennett: Status of the action to mail all the co-champions of the tracks for Ontology Summit 2014 and invte them to (a) contribute and (b) approach their track panelists.     (8B21)

[15:18] Mike Bennett: If the co-champions don't respond then Mike and Ken can approach them directly.     (8B22)

[15:19] Mike Bennett: Develop a list of those participants as we go along, and so we can send any additional notices etc. to the people on that list.     (8B23)

[15:19] Mike Bennett: Keep them aware of progress. Reminders etc.     (8B24)

[15:20] Mike Bennett: Consider writing an introductory paper - Ken and Mike as introducers of the Special Issue.     (8B25)

[15:21] Mike Bennett: This would be more an introduction to the issue rather than an editorial. Highlighting where the 2014 OS came from, what's intended by the issue, brief recounting on the contributions that will be in the official issue.     (8B26)

[15:22] Mike Bennett: See previous issues of Applied Ontology for an idea of how this has been done in the past.     (8B27)

[15:24] Mike Bennett: Posting to lists: see Leo's list last month ([15:30] in the notes)     (8B28)

[15:24] Mike Bennett: Do some of these require log-ins? Or are they all lists anyone can post on?     (8B29)

[15:25] Mike Bennett: Leo has been maintaining this since some years back. Don't have a record of which ones you need to be a member of.     (8B30)

[15:25] Mike Bennett: [Action] Mike or Ken to mail the CfP to all the ones on that list, analyze responses, and send Leo a list of any that required us to join and we were unable to join.     (8B31)

[15:26] Mike Bennett: We can of course join any that are easy to join, ourselves.     (8B32)

[15:26] Mike Bennett: Any we can't join, we can ask Leo to post to that one.     (8B33)

[15:27] Mike Bennett: [Action] start a spreadsheet with information on which ones are moderated, which ones require joining and so on.     (8B34)

[15:28] Mike Bennett: Also as well as distribution lists, it's usual to post ot known interested individuals, which is the list we referred to above i.e. OS co-champions etc.     (8B35)

[15:28] Mike Bennett: For personal emails - use Bcc.     (8B36)

[15:29] Mike Bennett: Alternatively we might have to use something like MailChimp to send emails to individuals.     (8B37)

[15:31] Mike Bennett: Any other stuff?     (8B38)

[15:31] Mike Bennett: See notes from previous session for details.     (8B39)

[Timing re-arranged ��� we went back to this agenda item later in the call, so this discussed is below]     (8B40)

[15:39] Mike Bennett: Where to put the CfP? [that is, a definitive version for Ken and Leo and others to use as a basis for any emails sent to lists etc.; currently this is a Word document on Mike���s machine]     (8B41)

[15:39] Mike Bennett: Put it on the wiki as well as the mailer     (8B42)

[15:41] Mike Bennett: We should aim to get a link to that page, on the main www.iaoa.org page     (8B44)

[15:44] Mike Bennett: Who to liaise with to get a mention and link to the CfP front and center of the main IAOA Page and / or the Event pages that's linked from that.     (8B45)

[15:45] Mike Bennett: Ask Michael Gruninger. There seems to be no dedicated contact for the website itself.     (8B46)

[15:45] Mike Bennett: [Action] Mike Bennett to ask Michael Gruninger     (8B47)

[15:48] Mike Bennett: Meanwhile where to put the definitive working version of the CfP? Will go in line in the meeting page for today?     (8B48)

[15:49] Mike Bennett: Use the web page?     (8B50)

[15:49] Mike Bennett: However that takes some time to update.     (8B51)

[15:51] Mike Bennett: Decision: Definitive internal working version will be on the meeting page for today.     (8B52)

[16:08] Mike Bennett: When you post something on the wiki and you want it to be verbatim rather than be able to be modified (e.g. for the CfP), put pre tags before and after (using the documented HTML pre tags [removed from this transcript to avoid escape issues])     (8B53)


2. Housekeeping

[15:32] Mike Bennett: Move of wikis to ontologforum.org     (8B54)

[15:32] Mike Bennett: The machine being used failed. Disk problems.     (8B55)

[15:33] Mike Bennett: We had always planned to move eventually from that machine to the Cloud.     (8B56)

[15:33] Mike Bennett: So that will happen sooner.     (8B57)

[15:33] Mike Bennett: The software for doing the migration is all handled by a chap called Tejas Parikh     (8B58)

[15:34] Ken Baclawski: I am waiting to get in touch with Tejas Parikh who has written the code for the wiki migration.     (8B59)

[15:35] Mike Bennett: There is no dependence on Peter Yim as far as we are aware.     (8B60)

[15:36] Mike Bennett: Script dependency?? Is this dependent on the environment it finds itself in now or will it work in the new one?     (8B61)

[15:37] Mike Bennett: Ken: Should work right away, as the infrastructure is the same.     (8B62)

3. Other Things (StackOverflow / Blog)

[15:53] Mike Bennett: No progress.     (8B63)

[15:53] Mike Bennett: MB has fixed the Blog structure so it has a standing introduction page.     (8B64)

[15:53] Mike Bennett: What to do?     (8B65)

[15:53] Mike Bennett: It might be worse if we put a provocative question and then no-one follows up.     (8B66)

[15:54] Mike Bennett: If we did start to use this we would need to be sure to get some dialog going, so that people would start to see links to the site.     (8B67)

[15:55] Mike Bennett: If we were to do this, someone needs to own it.     (8B68)

[15:55] Mike Bennett: Andrea can give it a couple of hours a week.     (8B69)

[15:56] Mike Bennett: What's a good provocative question?     (8B70)

[15:57] Mike Bennett: Mike Bennett has some provocative views on what people think is or is not an ontology.     (8B71)

[15:59] Mike Bennett: Another provocative question: is schema.org an ontology?     (8B72)

[16:00] Mike Bennett: We did have a summit on "what an ontology is"     (8B73)

[16:00] Mike Bennett: We can reference some of the ideas out of that.     (8B74)

[16:01] Mike Bennett: What came out of this was the various dimensions on which you can classify ontologies. We did that with a number of ontologies.     (8B75)

[16:01] Mike Bennett: There are examples in the literature. Including the more linear variant.     (8B76)

[16:03] Mike Bennett: It would be good to revisit.     (8B77)

[16:04] Mike Bennett: [Action] Mike Bennett will put up the provocative question; Andrea Westerinen will put up an initial answer. Ken Baclawski can put up a link to the dimensions thing from the Ontology Summit where this was discussed.     (8B78)

[16:04] Mike Bennett: Dimensions: included Expressiveness, Structure, Granularity, intended use, automated reasoning.     (8B79)

[16:06] Mike Bennett: Qualifier: not only for what an ontology is, but things like how you can use them. re-use and so on.     (8B80)

[16:08] Mike Bennett: Mike to email Andrea after posting the provocative question.     (8B81)

AoB?

Meeting adjourned 16:10 BST     (8B83)

Call for Papers Text     (9)

(definitive version as of today's meeting)     (9A)

Call for Papers
Applied Ontology Special Issue on the Role of Ontologies in Linked Data, Big Data and Semantic Web Applications.

The IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) Special Interest Group [http://www.iaoa.org/sig/swao/] welcomes the submission of papers focusing on the role of ontologies in the areas of Linked Data and the Semantic Web, and their possible applications in Big Data. Our goal is to collect a diverse set of papers concerned with the use of ontologies in support of these areas. 

Types of submissions sought include: 

���	Position papers 
���	Practical examples
���	Methodological treatments
���	Research-oriented papers

We are looking for papers that address the challenge problems set out in the 2014 Ontology Summit [http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014]. We especially welcome papers that show how more rigorous and principled ontologies based on ontological analysis may be of help for the Semantic Web, the Linked Data, and the Big Data communities. 

Expanding on the topics highlighted in the Ontology Summit 2014 Communique [http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_Communique], submissions should be concerned with: 

���	The role that ontologies play (or can play) in Linked Data, Big Data and Semantic Web Applications
���	Engineering of ontologies to address integration and domain-specific modeling concerns 
���	Sharing and reuse of ontologies within and across application or domain areas
���	Tooling and techniques in support of ontology development for Linked Data, Big Data and Semantic Web Applications (provided that a contribution to the practice of ontological analysis and conceptual modeling is clearly established)

Note that papers only focusing on language or algorithmic issues would be considered as out of scope. Authors are encouraged to use language that will be intelligible also to those outside their specific sector of expertise.

Papers should be formatted and submitted according to the guidelines of the IOS Press publication ���Applied Ontology��� [http://www.iossubmissions.com/applied-ontology/], using the link ���Submit Manuscript��� on that page under Author Actions. The guidelines are found under the tab, "Submission of Manuscripts". When submitting your paper as described on that page, please also include a covering letter identifying that your submission is for the ���SWAO Special Issue���. Also when prompted please set the type of your submission to ���Special Issue���.
________________________________________

Important dates
15 December, 2015: Submission Deadline
15 February, 2016: Notification to Authors
15 March, 2016: Camera-ready Due

Submissions Details
Submissions may include:
���	Position papers (Position papers must be content-full, not "conversation starters" as one might have in a workshop).
���	Regular papers (indicative length 10 ��� 12 pages)
���	Longer papers ��� suggested upper limit 30 pages
See: http://www.iaoa.org/sig/swao/sigevents.html 


Previous Meetings     (10)