Robert J. Rovetto
Robert is a formal ontologist, philosopher, open to work and study opportunities globally. Output includes ontologies, and over 40 written works & presentations since 2011: journal & conference papers, (inter)national standards, national agency manuals, reports, grant proposals, presentations; as well as collaborative projects including open data/science. Focus areas include: terminology; knowledge representation; conceptual modeling; highly abstract concepts; foundational or top-level ontology; development methodology & governance; and ethics of/in ontology & AI. Disciplinary focus areas for ontology include: ontology for aerospace, maritime, and emergency response. Relevant activities are listed below. You can Directly hire for selected services or Purchase products at this webpage.
Contact: rrovetto[at]terpalum[dot]umd[dot]edu or using this webpage. or schedule a meeting here.
Projects that need your support (Donate via PayPal or via GoGetFunding)
- Catalog of Definitions of 'Ontology'
- A redefinition of 'ontology' and cognate terms
- (Diagram) The Ontology Landscape in a Broader Context: AI, etc.
- The Ontology Guidebook & Ontology Development Guidelines - a broad and introductory manual on ontology, and an in-progress development method
- Terminology & Semantic Harmonization Workflow / A Generic KOS Workflow
- How to create a top-level ontology
- Pros and Cons of various types of Knowledge organization systems
- Ethical aspects of ontology development and use
- Sample paper
- Sister paper in-progress (pending support, and seeking co-authors). Contact to express interest in co-authoring.
- Sample paper
- My Space ontology project
- Desired as one possible PhD project for myself (documentation of ideation & work since 2009 available on request)
- Donate: via GoGetFunding, or via Patreon, or via PayPal
- Catalog of Space Vocabularies & Knowledge Organization Systems
- Catalog of Spaceflight Terms
- The Ontology of NASA's Science Mission Directorate
Purchase Ontology Products/Resources
- "Introduction to Generic Ontologies" presentation (2018, presented to University of Koblenz)
- "Myths of Ontology Development and Use" (PowerPoint presentation)
- "Ethical Aspects of Ontology Development & Use" (Presentation document)
- "Ontology", PowerPoint presentation at NASA Datanauts 2017 session
- Various presentations on ontology for space (at conferences and events since 2015)
- A survey of biomedical ontologies (Presentation document, modification of a 2012 presentation)
For hire / Open to Opportunities
Willing to relocate internationally. Authorized to work in EU & US, with special interest in Canada.
- Open to regular employment, temp, consulting or contract roles. Open to any level: junior, entry-, mid, apprenticeship.
- Open to educational opportunities as PhD student. Will consider lesser degree.
- Direct hire webpage for ontology consulting
- Searching for formal support for my space ontology project and other projects.
- International experience, bilingual, MBSE, and Agile team experience
Written works (sample)
- ORCID Profile
- GoogleScholar Page
- ResearcherID (old link)
- Sample Presentation: "A generic name for the most generic ontologies" (PPT) at 2022 IAOA SWAO group meeting.
- Buy a copy at this webpage link.
- Description of Some Services (PPT)
- Description of Pay-per Courses (PPT)
Education & Training
- M.A. Philosophy, with applied ontology focus, and courses from multiple departments; The State University of New York.
- B.A. Philosophy, with Minor in Business & Management w/Information Technology focus; University of Maryland.
- Graduate coursework toward M.S. in Space Studies; AMU (incomplete, TBD pending opportunities)
- Training & Expertise in (cv available on request): Maritime operations, water search & rescue. Certified commercial merchant marine.
Service Activities (sample)
- Contributor & committee member of Ontology Summit 2022. Presenter and co-champion/co-organizer of session Aerospace and Maritime Disasters part 1 and part 2.
- Contributing member of OntologForum since approximately 2010.
- Contributing member of Education Technical Committee (See this new webpage), in the International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA)
- Co-organizer of the first Education Series on Applied Ontology.
- Contributing member of Semantic Web & Applied Ontology Special Interest Group in the [https://iaoa.org/ IAOA
- Contributing member of Semantic Technology Committee, and other groups in Earth Science Information Partners (2019-present)
- Contributing member of OntoCommons
- Contributing subject-matter expert national-body member in Information Technology committee of International Organization for Standardization (ISO) (approx. 2017). Contributions to ISO21838.
- Contributed to two foundational/top-level ontologies (YAMATO, and BFO)
- Webmaster work for YAMATO ontology, and for RFM ontology
- Invited manuscript reviewer, Journal of Applied Ontology (2017, 2022)
- Invited manuscript reviewer, European Semantic Web Conference
- Ontology & terminology subject-matter expert in aerospace orgs. (2019-present)
- Emergency response & rescue community service
Donate to help support this and other ongoing volunteering and community service
- Philosophy (general)
- Metaphysics: causality/causation, space & time, laws of nature, misc.
- Ethics & moral philosophy
- various topics in philosophy
- Symbolic logic
- Ontology (formal, philosophical, applied)
- Generic/Foundational ontology & ontologies
- Methodological and ethical aspects of ontology and similar types of system
- MBSE - Model-based systems engineering
- Space: astronautics, astronomy, policy, law, spatio-temporality
- Marine safety, boat operations, search & rescue