From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

ONTOLOG Community Program Planning Session - Thu 2013-09-12     (1)

Session Co-chairs: PeterYim (ONTOLOG; CIM3) & MichaelGruninger (IAOA; U of Toronto)     (1A)

Topic: Scheduling ONTOLOG Events for the Rest of 2013     (1B)

  • Dial-in:     (1C7D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1C7D1)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1C7D2)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1C7D2A)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1C7D2B)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1C7D2B1)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1C7D2C)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1C7D2C1)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1C7D2C2)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1C7E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1C7E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1C7E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1C7E3)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1C7F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1C7F2)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20130912@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1C7F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1C7G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1C7G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1C7G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1C7G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1C7G4)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com with your affiliation appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community already.)     (1C7I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1C7K)

Attendees     (1D)

Abstract     (1E)

This session is a culmination of the community input received during the following recent community planning sessions:     (1E1)

From the above input, a strawman program of ONTOLOG events for the rest of 2013 has been crafted; and it looks something like the following. This will provide a starting point for our deliberation during the session. We will also take the opportunity to get community input on potential panelists for each of these panel sessions.     (1E6)

see developing Master Event Calendar at: MeetingsCalls     (1E7)

We will aim at defining the events, fitting the above into the rest our Ontolog 2013 event calendar, and postponing some sessions till after OntologySummit2014. Hopefully, by the end of this session, we would have confirmed the content and champions for each of the virtual panel sessions (between now and end-Dec 2013), in a way that will give the community a strong and coherent program of events. We will also take the opportunity to get community input on potential panelists for each of these panel sessions, as recommendations to the session chairs.     (1E29)

Agenda     (1F)

Community Event Planning: Scheduling ONTOLOG Events for the Rest of 2013     (1F1)

Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1F2)
  • 2. Open discussion-I: Scheduling the [[ConferenceCall_2013_09_12|OntologyBasedStandards] sessions] - ALL (30 min.) ... (refer to process above)     (1F4)
    • pick 4 sessions this year; the other 4 next year (after the OntologySummit); assign session dates     (1F4A)
    • confirming session co-chairs, content, topics and candidate panelists     (1F4B)
  • 4. Open discussion-III: review of overall Q4-2013 ONTOLOG Program: additional community input and ideas - ALL (20 min.)     (1F6)

Proceedings     (1G)

Please refer to the above     (1G1)

From today's discussion, our program will be like ...     (1G2)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1G5)

see raw transcript here.     (1G5A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1G5B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1G5C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1G5D)


Chat transcript from room: ontolog_20130912     (1G5E)

2013-09-12 GMT-08:00 [PDT]     (1G5F)


[10:15] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1G5G)

ONTOLOG Community Program Planning Session - Thu 2013-09-12     (1G5H)

Session Co-chairs: Mr. Peter P. Yim & Professor Michael Grüninger     (1G5I)

Topic: Scheduling ONTOLOG Events for the Rest of 2013     (1G5J)

Logistics:     (1G5K)

  • (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center)     (1G5M)

and morph from "anonymous" to your Real Name (in WikiWord format)     (1G5N)

or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window     (1G5S)

you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it.     (1G5T)

(Chat-room) Attendees: Peter P. Yim (co-chair), Michael Grüninger (co-chair), Adam Wyner, Adrian Paschke,     (1G5U)

Proceedings     (1G5X)

[10:29] anonymous morphed into Simon Spero     (1G5Y)

[10:30] anonymous morphed into ElieAbiLahoud     (1G5Z)

[10:30] anonymous morphed into Adrian Paschke     (1G5AA)

[10:31] Simon Spero: Over optimistic recruiters:     (1G5AB)

[10:31] anonymous morphed into Adam Wyner     (1G5AD)

[10:34] Mike Bennett: I can only stay for the first half hour I'm afraid.     (1G5AE)

[10:35] anonymous morphed into GaryBergCross     (1G5AF)

[10:35] anonymous morphed into Benjamin Grosof     (1G5AG)

[10:40] anonymous morphed into Anatoly Levenchuk     (1G5AH)

[10:35] Peter P. Yim: == Peter P. Yim & Michael Grüninger starts session by providing an overview - see intro     (1G5AI)

[10:38] GaryBergCross: DC is in the midst of a storm so I may lose power and thus internet...     (1G5AK)

[10:47] Benjamin Grosof: Correction: There's a typo in the calendar: it should be Thur. 12/19 not     (1G5AM)

Thur. 12/17. [Thanks, Benjamin ... now corrected. --ppy]     (1G5AN)

[10:39] Benjamin Grosof: wrt schedule for the RulesReasoningLP etc. miniseries: 10/17 I have a     (1G5AO)

probable conflict.     (1G5AP)

[10:41] Benjamin Grosof: Suggestion: therefore, how about we swap the topics of the 10/24 and 10/17     (1G5AQ)

sessions? I.e., do RulesReasoningLP Session 1 on 10/24?     (1G5AR)

[10:54] Peter P. Yim: [consensus] we will swap the 10/17 and 10/24 dates - so: we will now have:     (1G5AS)

2013_10_24 - Thursday: RulesReasoningLP - session 1     (1G5AU)

2013_10_17 - Thursday: OntologyBasedStandards - session 4     (1G5AV)

[10:49] anonymous morphed into Lamar Henderson     (1G5AX)

[11:00] Michael Grüninger: Potential date for S2. Ontology-based Standards in Geospatial Domains     (1G5AY)

[TaraAthan, GaryBergCross] - October 17     (1G5AZ)

[10:58] ElieAbiLahoud: @ Peter, 2013_10_17 - Thursday: OntologyBasedStandards - session 4 or session 1 ?     (1G5AAA)

[10:59] Peter P. Yim: @Elie - it's "session 4" - as 3 prior sessions on this mini-series has already     (1G5AAB)

[11:03] anonymous morphed into Tara Athan     (1G5AAD)

[11:04] Michael Grüninger: @MikeBennett: we can't hear you     (1G5AAE)

[11:05] Mike Bennett: I've had to drop off for another call.     (1G5AAF)

[11:05] Michael Grüninger: @MikeBennett: ok, we'll come back to you in 5 minutes?     (1G5AAG)

[11:05] Mike Bennett: Will remain lurking here on the chat, but not on the audio - apologies.     (1G5AAH)

[11:08] Mike Bennett: We are pretty flexible I think. Will have to co-ordinate with BillMcCarthy     (1G5AAI)

also. I have a holiday penciled in for week of 24th but otherwise I'm OK.     (1G5AAJ)

[11:07] Peter P. Yim: ref TaraAthan's question - the standard start-time for the Thursday sessions are     (1G5AAK)

12:30pm EDT and it will last 1.5~2.0 hours (generally 2-Hours when we have a panel session with     (1G5AAL)

multiple panelists)     (1G5AAM)

[11:08] Michael Grüninger / Ken Baclawski: S6. Ontologies for Social Networks [KenBaclawski, EricChan]     (1G5AAN)

- propose to move to next year (after Ontology Summit)     (1G5AAO)

[11:09] Adam Wyner: I'd be very interested in this topic. Please put me on the list for this: S7. How     (1G5AAP)

ontologies can help with the formal specification of the natural language standards     (1G5AAQ)

[11:09] Adam Wyner: There is a lot going on in NL and ontologies.     (1G5AAR)

[11:10] Adam Wyner: Also Lemon.     (1G5AAS)

[11:10] Adam Wyner: There could be some clarification of what this subject means.     (1G5AAT)

[11:07] Michael Grüninger: @MikeBennett: do you have a preferred date for your session? - S4.     (1G5AAU)

Ontology-based Financial Standards (e.g. ISO 15944, FIBO) [MikeBennett, BillMcCarthy, ElieAbiLahoud]     (1G5AAV)

[11:10] Michael Grüninger: @MikeBennett: make a random choice between November 7 and December 12 :-)     (1G5AAW)

[11:11] Mike Bennett: @Elie do you have a preference between those dates, as you're also on the hook     (1G5AAX)

for this one?     (1G5AAY)

[11:13] ElieAbiLahoud: I suggest Nov-28 or Dec-5, what do you think ?     (1G5AAZ)

[11:15] Michael Grüninger: @ElieAbiLahoud: those dates are already allocated. For your session, we     (1G5AAAA)

need to decide between November 7 and December 12     (1G5AAAB)

[11:16] ElieAbiLahoud: @Michael, misunderstood the meaning of "between" - Semantics!     (1G5AAAC)

[11:15] Mike Bennett: Dec 12 is less ideal for me.     (1G5AAAD)

[11:16] Michael Grüninger: Ok, let's go with November 7 for S4 (Ontology-based Financial Standards)     (1G5AAAE)

[11:16] Adam Wyner: Mention of the ACE OWL-NL input and output tool as being useful. I'd be     (1G5AAAF)

interested if there has been progress with this tool. Last time I used it, the output from an     (1G5AAAG)

ontology to NL was rather suspect. But, the intention is in the right direction.     (1G5AAAH)

[11:16] Mike Bennett: BillMcCarthy votes for Dec 12 (via email). So let's go with that and I'll make it work.     (1G5AAAI)

[11:16] ElieAbiLahoud: @MikeBennett, I have no preference then, I'll adapt     (1G5AAAJ)

[11:19] Peter P. Yim: @MikeBennett, BillMcCarthy & ElieAbiLahoud - we already have something scheduled     (1G5AAAK)

for Dec-12 - the S7 (S7. How ontologies can help with the formal specification of the natural     (1G5AAAL)

language standards) team just reserved that date - does Nov-7 work for you guys?     (1G5AAAM)

[11:20] Mike Bennett: Nov 7 works for me, checking again with Bill now (he had voted for 12th).     (1G5AAAN)

[11:27] Mike Bennett: BillMcCarthy can do Nov 7 as well - so I can confirm we are all 3 on track for     (1G5AAAO)

the Nov 7 session.     (1G5AAAP)

[11:17] Adam Wyner: Mention of some of the literature on ACE for NL to FOL representations, e.g.     (1G5AAAQ)

health rules and policy.     (1G5AAAR)

[11:17] Tara Athan: @Adam - where do standards come in, in the case of ACE, for example?     (1G5AAAT)

[11:21] Adam Wyner: @Simon. Thanks. I know that paper. I did something similar for regulations.     (1G5AAAU)

Reading the details, there are significant issues to resolve in using ACE (and I'm very pro ACE).     (1G5AAAV)

[11:21] Adam Wyner: @Tara - I'm not clear what the phrase "How ontologies can help with the formal     (1G5AAAW)

specification of the natural language standards" means, so would appreciate the authors of the     (1G5AAAX)

phrase to clarify.     (1G5AAAY)

[11:26] Ken Baclawski: @Adam - Standards are nearly always specified using a document written in a     (1G5AAAZ)

natural language. The term "natural language standard" in this context means "standard whose     (1G5AAAAA)

definitive document is written in natural language".     (1G5AAAAB)

[11:34] Adam Wyner: @Ken - OK. That interpretation. That is different from 'standards of natural     (1G5AAAAC)

language', which seems to me another reading, but not the desired one.     (1G5AAAAD)

[11:20] Benjamin Grosof: wrt NL session: I too am very interested, and this is related to     (1G5AAAAE)

[11:21] Benjamin Grosof: wrt financial-area session: I too am very interested, and this is related to     (1G5AAAAG)

FIBO's rules area which I co-lead.     (1G5AAAAH)

[11:22] Benjamin Grosof: The session dates we're talking about work for me for NL (12/12 - good) and     (1G5AAAAI)

financial-area (11/17 - OK).     (1G5AAAAJ)

[11:23] anonymous morphed into Thomas Getgood     (1G5AAAAK)

[11:24] Adam Wyner: The NL date of 12/12 does not work for me. Conference 12/11-13.     (1G5AAAAL)

[11:26] Peter P. Yim: == Peter P. Yim moderating Open discussion-II: Scheduling the RulesReasoningLP sessions     (1G5AAAAM)

[11:35] Peter P. Yim: Benjamin Grosof / Peter P. Yim: a lot of the background/tutorial material can be     (1G5AAAAO)

recorded offline and made available (hosted in the Ontolog archives) as "mandatory" reading for the     (1G5AAAAP)

session participants     (1G5AAAAQ)

[11:39] Tara Athan: @Benjamin - that sounds fine to me.     (1G5AAAAR)

[11:39] Harold Boley: With input from Mike Dean and all, Adrian Paschke and I could help organizing R3.     (1G5AAAAS)

Common Logic, RuleML and RIF.     (1G5AAAAT)

[11:39] Benjamin Grosof: Suggestion: RulesReasoningLP session 1 title/description: I would add ",     (1G5AAAAU)

including Concepts and Foundations of Rulelog, Logic Programming and Semantic Web Rules". ...     (1G5AAAAV)

[response - Peter P. Yim: the original title actually expands to "Ontology, Rules, and Logic Programming     (1G5AAAAW)

for Reasoning and Applications (RulesReasoningLP): Survey and Introduction" and the session is     (1G5AAAAX)

intended to lay out the scope for the entire mini-series, survey the technology landscape, and cite     (1G5AAAAY)

use cases and applications to motivate the sessions that will follow (as     (1G5AAAAZ)

you and Leo can deliberate on the final title when you two planning out the session in detail. ...     (1G5AAAAAB)

Note also, that we have had presentations on Common Logic and Rulelog in the Ontolog archives     (1G5AAAAAC)

[11:40] Benjamin Grosof: I would be glad to help with organizing RulesReasoningLP sessions R2-R4 as     (1G5AAAAAE)

well as with session R1.     (1G5AAAAAF)

[11:40] Benjamin Grosof: Adrian Paschke would be good as a co-lead for R3. Mike Dean is out on medical     (1G5AAAAAG)

work leave currently.     (1G5AAAAAH)

[11:41] Benjamin Grosof: A good R5 (or R6) session would be on Natural Language (NL).     (1G5AAAAAI)

[11:43] Benjamin Grosof: wrt R3: Tara would indeed be a good panelist.     (1G5AAAAAJ)

[11:44] Benjamin Grosof: wrt R1: I think it makes most sense for me to speak at R1, hence maybe not     (1G5AAAAAK)

be a chair of the session esp. while presenting.     (1G5AAAAAL)

[11:45] Benjamin Grosof: wrt R1 scope: cover use cases and tools as well as concepts and foundations.     (1G5AAAAAM)

[11:46] Benjamin Grosof: wrt R2: Pascal Hitzler would be good to ask as a panelist. I'm not sure he's     (1G5AAAAAN)

up for being a co-chair but we can see.     (1G5AAAAAO)

[11:49] Peter P. Yim: Leo should contact Pascal to confirm his availability     (1G5AAAAAP)

[11:50] Benjamin Grosof: wrt R1: Henson Graves also feels that we should present use cases - incl. as     (1G5AAAAAQ)

challenges as yet not satisfactorily solved as well as past ones already "done".     (1G5AAAAAR)

[11:51] Peter P. Yim: Henson Graves and Ken Baclawski need to touch base offline some time soon too (since     (1G5AAAAAS)

we weren't able to get a mutual consent from both of them here.)     (1G5AAAAAT)

[11:52] GaryBergCross: Have to drop off call now but will check email for any updates.     (1G5AAAAAU)

[11:42] Peter P. Yim: Henson Graves - request that we have a dedicated mailing list for RulesReasoningLP     (1G5AAAAAV)

[11:53] Benjamin Grosof: wrt R1-R4: little plan for action items is the ff. Peter, please create     (1G5AAAAAW)

mailing list of people, send that out to Benjamin G, Henson G, Harold B, then we'll take it from     (1G5AAAAAX)

there to coordinate with Leo and the other proposed session chairs/panelists.     (1G5AAAAAY)

[11:54] Peter P. Yim: [action] Peter will create the new mailing list and auto-subscribe those who were     (1G5AAAAAZ)

at the 7/25 brainstorm ... and invite those who we will potentially engage as panelists     (1G5AAAAAAA)

[11:58] Peter P. Yim: join us again, next Thursday Sep-19, for the Ontology Summit 2014 Topic Brainstorm     (1G5AAAAAAB)

will start early (see details on session page)     (1G5AAAAAAD)

[11:59] Adam Wyner: Thanks bye.     (1G5AAAAAAE)

[11:59] Peter P. Yim: great session - we accomplished practically everything we meant to get done at     (1G5AAAAAAF)

this session!     (1G5AAAAAAG)

[11:59] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:58am PDT --     (1G5AAAAAAH)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1G5AAAAAAI)

Additional Resources     (1H)


For the record ...     (1H6)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1I)



This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1I4)