From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2012: Getting Organized     (1)

This is a scratch workspace for the organization, coordination and planning of OntologySummit2012.     (1A)

Theme: Ontology for Big Systems     (1B)

7th in the series of a 3-month open annual event by and for the Ontology Community. This Summit is co-organized by Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD     (1B1)

ref. OntologySummit     (1B2)

Ontology Summit 2012 Organizing Committee Meetings     (1B5)


Ontology Summit 2012 8th Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.03.30     (1C)

Conference call details:     (1C1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1C11)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:37:00 ; mp3 ; 11.10 MB)     (1C11A)

  • progress & performance review: How are we doing so far?     (1C11E)
    • Michael: yesterday's session was very productive     (1C11E1)
      • Todd: good contributions received (from every track), and good consensus yesterday     (1C11E1A)
      • Michael: some open issues probably need to addressed properly     (1C11E1B)
        • [action] Michael to send out a message about symposium and process details     (1C11E1B1)
        • Michael & Peter to work up a list of those issues, and encourage people to discuss them online before the communique closes     (1C11E1B2)
        • Amanda Vizedom: We are discussing how to deal with (known and potential) issues outstanding -- things that people some people think are solved and others think are open, or people strongly disagree about -- that some people are advocating for discussion at symposium and/or inclusion in communique. ... A partial triage for these issues is to sort those that require some resolution for communique, if only mention of open issue and some suggestion of follow-up, from those that are truly out of scope and should be set aside for symposium/communique purposes.     (1C11E1B3)
      • we really want these issues properly discussed *before* the symposium     (1C11E1C)
      • Steve / Michael: we will use a "parking lot" for issues that we want to put aside so they don't derail the workshop/symposium discussion     (1C11E1D)
  • Communique plans     (1C11G)
    • next draft - t/b published by Apr-4 so everyone can review it before going into Apr-5 workshop     (1C11G1)
    • End of "change request" period - Apr-6     (1C11G2)
      • we said "change request" just to avoid term "comment"! Use "change request," and keep explicit that if someone requests a change, they must provide a solution - i.e., what should be there after the change.     (1C11G2A)
        • Leo / Amanda: degree of severity ("editorial", "technical") of a "change request" may help too     (1C11G2A1)
        • Ali: note that google-doc does not support line numbers; people should just highlight the place where they are requesting comments ... the google-doc setting now allows only Todd and Ali to edit, but all (with link) to comment (even anonymously) ... we want people to identify themselves after they put in a comment     (1C11G2A2)
    • final draft - release date: Apr-9     (1C11G3)
    • AOJ submission - Todd and Ali to make submission no later than end-May     (1C11G4)
      • co-authors of that article will include lead editors, co-editors and the 4 chairs     (1C11G4A)
  • Review Master Calendar:     (1C11M)
    • plenary sessions - Launch, session-02 thru session-12 - done!     (1C11M1)
    • 2012_04_05 - Thursday: Communique Review Workshop-II and pre-symposium prep session     (1C11M2)
    • Symposium - Thu & Fri, April 12 & 13, 2012 (confirmed) - Portrait Room, NIST, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA     (1C11M3)
    • post-mortem (virtual) session - Thu 2012.04.26 (confirmed)     (1C11M4)
  • Recap action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1C11N)
    • draft communique due: Apr-4     (1C11N1)
    • survey release date: Apr-2     (1C11N2)
    • Michael to be sending messages out (a) on the symposium process, (b) get some of the debatable "issues" discussed within having them derail the symposium agenda, (c) coordinate the panelists, (d) coordinating the demo presenters     (1C11N3)
    • Do we want/need one more organizing committee meeting? - probably not necessary; we will handle via email     (1C11N4)
    • what else?     (1C11N5)
      • Michael & Ernie to work out when/how to position WendyWigen's "Big Data" presentation during the symposium     (1C11N5A)

-- session ended: 8:43 am PDT     (1C11O)


Ontology Summit 2012 7th Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.03.16     (1D)

Conference call details:     (1D1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D13)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:01:08 ; mp3 ; 7.00 MB)     (1D13A)

  • Urgent Outstanding Items     (1D13C)
    • coordinating track champions' contribution to the Communique [attn: Todd & Ali]     (1D13C1)
      • Todd & Ali will request input for the outline and scope today (3/16), send out assignments to all track champions by Monday (3/19) and ask for write-ups from everyone by the end of next week     (1D13C1A)
      • aim toward having a draft communique (say, 80% communique) by the Mar-29 (s-12) session     (1D13C1B)
  • summit progress review - How are we doing so far?     (1D13D)
    • consensus: we're doing fine ... rich session content especially commendable (thanks to all session chairs!)     (1D13D1)
  • plans/issues regarding the recommended reading list [ AmandaVizedom ]     (1D13L)
    • Nicola Guarino: suggest exploiting this resource and possible collaboration with the IAOA Education Committee people     (1D13L1)
  • plans/issues regarding Public Relations     (1D13O)
    • make attempts to bring the press (and bloggers) to the Symposium     (1D13O1)
      • the NCO & NIST probably has some contacts ... Ernie will see what they can do; Steve to help coordinate that with Ram too; ...     (1D13O1A)
  • Any other business     (1D13R)
    • Steve / Peter: possibility to provide some travel subsidies     (1D13R1)
      • solicitation to be out ... grant based on (i) contribution, (ii) not local to DC, (iii) not employed by an institution     (1D13R1A)
    • need to contact Franz about their earlier offer to sponsor - possibility ask ask them to provide breakfast/coffee [Steve / Peter]     (1D13R2)
  • Recap action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1D13T)
    • Slides for Thu Mar-22 session-11 due end-of-day Tue Mar-20 (similarly Thu Mar-29 session-12 slides due Tue Mar-27)     (1D13T1)
    • Next organizing committee meeting (n.08): Friday 2012.03.30 ~1.5 Hr meeting - starting 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST / 14:00 UTC - world clock     (1D13T2)
    • what else?     (1D13T3)

-- session ended: 8:09 am PDT     (1D13U)


Ontology Summit 2012 6th Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.03.02     (1E)

Conference call details:     (1E1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:34:12 ; mp3 ; 10.78 MB)     (1E8A)

  • discussion: collecting further input via online survey/questionnaire [ AmandaVizedom / Mike Bennett / SimonSpero ]     (1E8K)
    • an open source tool "Lime Survey", as requested by Amanda, has been made available (courtesy CIM3) to support this effort     (1E8K1)
    • Amanda Vizedom, Mike Bennett & Simon Spero will refactor the X-Track-A1 questions (which did not get addressed at the Feb-23 (session-07) will be made available to the broader community soon     (1E8K2)
  • plans/issues regarding the symposium     (1E8L)
    • Tentative Symposium schedule: first day consists of presentations of Track summaries and initial discussion of the Communique. Second day will consist of a panel discussion on Challenges and Opportunities from the three main groups -- system engineers, ontologists, and stakeholders. We will also allocate some time for demonstrations.     (1E8L1)
    • Michael: will do a "demo" call ... (may have logistic issues with firewall)     (1E8L2)
    • disposition on video recording or streaming video     (1E8L3)
    • we'll run two screens - one for slides, the other for "chat-window" and "tweets"     (1E8L4)
  • plans/issues regarding the recommended reading list [ AmandaVizedom ]     (1E8M)
    • Nicola Guarino: suggest exploiting this resource and possible collaboration with the IAOA Education Committee people     (1E8M1)
  • Recap action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1E8S)
    • Slides for Thu Mar-8 session-09 due end-of-day Tue Mar-6 (similarly Thu Mar-15 session-10 slides due Tue Mar-13)     (1E8S1)
    • some details for session-09 (Track-4) still missing, and those for session-10 (Track-3) past due; session-11 (Track-1&2) please start posting, so everyone can have a chance to review and make suggestions     (1E8S2)
    • Next organizing committee meeting (n.07): Friday 2012.03.16 ~1.5 Hr meeting - starting 7:00am PST / 10:00am EST / 4:00pm CET / 15:00 UTC - world clock     (1E8S3)
    • what else?     (1E8S4)

-- session ended: 8:36am PST     (1E8T)


Ontology Summit 2012 5th Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.02.17     (1F)

Conference call details:     (1F1)

  • Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1F7)
    • summit progress review - How are we doing so far? ... nudging mailing list discussion to focus on summit goals     (1F7A)
    • review proposals for "invitations to the Advisory Committee"     (1F7B)
    • staging and coordinating upcoming events     (1F7C)
    • speaker slots at the Symposium - helping people work up their travel plans     (1F7D)
    • decision on video/webcast during symposium     (1F7E)
    • Discussion - feedback from community: mailing list discussion too philosophical!? Somewhat off-focus!     (1F7F)
    • ... (add here)     (1F7G)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1F8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:33:49 ; mp3 ; 10.74 MB)     (1F8A)

  • staging sessions -07 -08, -09 & -10 -- Harmonizing objectives and agenda, and exchanging ideas on candidate panelists     (1F8F)
    • need to start sharing session plans 3 weeks in advance     (1F8F1)
    • deadline to have session plans (at least 75%) ready 2 weeks before the session date     (1F8F2)

Engineering     (1F8H)

  • plans/issues regarding the recommended reading list     (1F8P)
    • Nicola: suggest exploiting this resource and possible collaboration with the IAOA Education Committee people     (1F8P1)
  • Recap action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1F8T)
    • Slides for Thu Feb-23 session-07 due end-of-day Tue Feb-21 (similarly Thu Mar-1 session-08 slides due Tue Feb-28)     (1F8T1)
    • details for session-08 (X-Track-A2) now past due, and those for session-09 & -10 (Track-4 & 3) please start posting, so everyone can have a chance to review and make suggestions     (1F8T2)
    • Next organizing committee meeting (n.06): Friday 2012.03.02 ~1.5 Hr meeting - starting 7:00am PST / 10:00am EST / 4:00pm CET / 15:00 UTC - world clock     (1F8T3)
    • what else?     (1F8T4)


Ontology Summit 2012 4th Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.02.03     (1G)

Conference call details:     (1G1)

  • Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1G7)
    • summit progress review - How are we doing so far?     (1G7A)
    • staging sessions -05, -06, -07 & -08 -- Harmonizing objectives and agenda, and exchanging ideas on candidate panelists     (1G7B)
    • plans/issues regarding the communique     (1G7C)
    • plans/issues regarding the symposium     (1G7D)
    • review proposals for "invitations to the Advisory Committee"     (1G7E)
    • plans/issues regarding Public Relations     (1G7F)
    • plans/issues regarding the recommended reading list     (1G7G)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1G8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:52:00 ; mp3 ; 12.82 MB)     (1G8A)

  • Opening (chair), roll call, adopt agenda, quick self-intros for new members     (1G8D)
  • summit progress review - How are we doing so far?     (1G8F)
    • General Chairs: Leo: pleased with what's transpired so far ... good; try not to get entangled and side-tracked; ...     (1G8F1)
    • Track 1&2 co-champions: Henson: track-1&2 has determined some emerging threads; posted an expanded version of those threads to help focus the discussion into buckets; need success criteria;     (1G8F2)
    • All: Michael: lots of energy, a bit lack-of-focus;... (see chat transcript)     (1G8F3)
    • What should we be doing differently going forward?     (1G8F4)
  • staging sessions -05, -06, -07 & -08 -- Harmonizing objectives and agenda, and exchanging ideas on candidate panelists     (1G8G)
    • need to start sharing session plans 3 weeks in advance     (1G8G1)
    • deadline to have session plans (at least 75%) ready 2 weeks before the session date     (1G8G2)
  • plans/issues regarding Public Relations     (1G8O)
    • ... ref. discussion above ref video; we might consider making a video clip on the Summit for PR purposes     (1G8O1)
  • Recap action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1G8T)
    • Slides for Thu Feb-9 session-05 due end-of-day Tue Feb-7 (similarly Thu Feb-16 session-06 slides due Tue Feb-14)     (1G8T1)
    • details for session-06 (Track-4) now past due, and those for session-07 & -08 (X-Track-A1 & A2) please start posting, so everyone can have a chance to review and make suggestions     (1G8T2)
    • Next organizing committee meeting (n.05): Friday 2012.02.17 ~1.5 Hr meeting - starting 7:00am PST / 10:00am EST / 4:00pm CET / 15:00 UTC - world clock     (1G8T3)
    • what else?     (1G8T4)


Ontology Summit 2012 3rd Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.01.20     (1H)

Conference call details:     (1H1)

  • Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1H7)
    • lock-in Symposium date     (1H7A)
    • finalize organizing committee members and roles - another co-champ for X-Track-A1, others cluster around tracks/sub-teams, drop those who cannot commit to the time/effort needed to do a good job here     (1H7B)
    • plan out master virtual session calendar     (1H7C)
    • tie down details for session-03 & -04 - need info on: chair, panelists, session-title, session-abstract, talk-titles, talk-abstracts (would be great), panelists-bios, ...     (1H7D)
    • stage session-05 & -06 - develop next level of details for Tracks 3 & 4 - which domains will we focus in, who can we engage that have authority over those subject matters?     (1H7E)
    • organize PR effort     (1H7F)
    • put effort into advisory committee & co-sponsorship - engage them     (1H7G)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1H8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:42:43 ; mp3 ; 11.76 MB)     (1H8A)

  • Opening, roll call, adopt agenda, quick self-intros for new members     (1H8C)
    • incentive: if we do well at this call, we can probably transact mostly via the [ontology-summit-org] list asynchronously, and go on to an alternate week 1.0~1.5 hour organizing call schedule just to sync up. ... That said, tracks are encouraged to continue using this slot to confer internally.     (1H8C1)
  • Track champions will get session details ready two week in advance (to Peter and the [ontology-summit-org] list) - the need info are: chair, panelists (confirmed, invited), session-title, session-abstract, talk-titles, talk-abstracts (would be great), panelists-bios, ...     (1H8K)
  • Discussion: staging session-05 & -06 - develop next level of details for Tracks 3 & 4 - which domains will we focus in, who can we engage that have authority over those subject matters?     (1H8L)
  • do we still plan to do the "website"? ... this is a huge effort in and of itself (and somewhat distinct from PR)     (1H8P)
  • put effort into advisory committee & co-sponsorship - engage them     (1H8Q)
    • how can we do it better this year?     (1H8Q1)
    • Track champions are encouraged to look over the Advisors list for candidate Track champions and speakers     (1H8Q2)
    • Leo suggests we might consider having a champion to nurture contributions from the Advisory Committee     (1H8Q3)
    • Leo will post a message to [ontology-summit-org] & [ontology-summit-advisors] list to start a conversation on how we can improve our engagement with the Advisors     (1H8Q4)
    • good idea ... use (for now) as an external platform (similar to our using surveymonkey or relatime-delphi in previous years) ... (for now) we will consolidate the output back to the wiki     (1H8R1)
    • Amanda will make a post to the [ontology-summit] list and champion that effort     (1H8R2)
  • Recap action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1H8S)
    • Slides for Thu Jan-26 session-03 due end-of-day Tue Jan-24     (1H8S1)
    • details for session-04 (Track-1+2) and session-05 (Track-3) also due this weekend     (1H8S2)
    • Next organizing committee meeting (n.04): Friday 2012.02.03 - starting 7:00am PST / 10:00am EST / 4:00pm CET / 15:00 UTC - world clock - hopefully 1~1.5 Hour; then maybe alternate Friday full organizing committee meetings and track/sub-track meetings     (1H8S3)
    • what else?     (1H8S4)


Ontology Summit 2012 2nd Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.01.13     (1I)

Conference call details:     (1I1)

  • Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1I7)
    • review session proposals and organizing committee members' inputs     (1I7A)
    • identifying tracks, sub-tracks, etc.     (1I7B)
    • appointing all the responsible positions - champions & editors, etc.     (1I7C)
    • broadly define the session schedule and topics, and tie down details for the next 2~3 sessions, at least.     (1I7D)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1I8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:12:13 ; mp3 ; 15.14 MB)     (1I8A)

  • Opening, roll call, adopt agenda, quick self-intros for new members     (1I8C)
  • Recap & assessment on the Ontology Summit 2012 Launch Event yesterday - ConferenceCall_2012_01_12     (1I8D)
    • quick review and adoption of Program Structure and Vision - in particular, slide #4, #5 & #7     (1I8D1)
    • since the organizing work is very intense, and calls for timely communication, synchronization and responsiveness - it is decided that if a organizing committee member misses two meetings without sending in his/her regrets and staying in communications, we shall assume that person has dropped off from this committee     (1I8D2)
  • discussion: aligning the proposed program segments under the 4 (3?) Tracks     (1I8F)
    • it is recognized that the above content/topics will be form the "pick list" from which various tracks will essentially be drawing their discussion/session topics from.     (1I8F1)
  • Identify tracks, sub-tracks, foci, key sessions, ...     (1I8G)
    • identify communities with whom we might do a collaborative project with as part of the summit activities     (1I8G1)
    • anyone else we should really engage in the organizing committee?     (1I8G2)
  • Preparation for the Jan-19 "Ontology for Big Systems: What's In Scope?" panel session     (1I8Y)
    • session page at: ConferenceCall_2012_01_19     (1I8Y1)
    • Co-chairs: Leo Obrst & Nicola Guarino     (1I8Y2)
    • Panelists: All champions     (1I8Y3)
    • draft agenda: Intro to champions; Overview and Input Solicitations from the Tracks & Aspects - each champion has 5 minutes - i.e. a track with 3 co-champions will have 15 minutes, and a track with 2 co-champions will have 10 minutes; each track should consolidate all their co-champions slides (probably 1 or 2 each) into a single slide deck.     (1I8Y4)
    • Goals: communicate to the summit participants what's in scope, introduce the champions and solicit contribution. Get the open discourse going.     (1I8Y5)
    • What needs to be covered:     (1I8Y6)
    • invitations / tasks / actions:     (1I8Y7)
  • Recap action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1I8AB)
    • Slides for Thu Jan-19 session due end-of-day Tue Jan-17     (1I8AB1)
    • Next meeting: (candidate) Friday 2012.01.20 - starting 7:00am PST / 10:00am EST / 4:00pm CET / 15:00 UTC - world clock - hopefully 1~1.5 Hour; then maybe alternate Friday full organizing committee meetings and track/sub-track meetings     (1I8AB2)
    • what else?     (1I8AB3)


Ontology Summit 2012 First Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.01.06     (1J)

Conference call details:     (1J1)

... (if you were there, and was missed on the roll call, please add yourself back in.)     (1J7)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1J10)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 2:15:04 ; mp3 ; 15.46 MB)     (1J10A)

  • Identify Deliverables for each of the track chairs (as well as overall summit)     (1J10G)
  • thoughts/prep on Jan-19 & 26 and Feb-2 virtual sessions (so that we can start preparing, inviting panelists for these first three virtual sessions) ...     (1J10J)
    • Thu Jan-19: (candidate:) Define "System" �� and what do we mean by "Ontology for X Systems"     (1J10J1)
    • Thu Jan-26: (candidate:) Define "Big" �� what are we addressing in this "Ontology for Big Systems" summit     (1J10J2)
    • Thu Feb-2: (candidate:) Survey of "Big Systems" application domains amenable to ontology use     (1J10J3)
  • Action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1J10K)
    • Slides for Thu Jan-12 Launch Event due end-of-day Tue Jan-10     (1J10K1)
    • Next meeting: (candidate) Friday 2012.01.13 - starting 7:00am PST / 10:00am EST / 4:00pm CET / 15:00 UTC - world clock - hopefully 1~1.5 Hour; then maybe alternate Friday full organizing committee meetings and track/sub-track meetings     (1J10K2)
    • what else?     (1J10K3)

Ontology Summit 2012 Organizing Committee: basics, logistics and some ground rules of engagement     (1J11)

  • we are here to get things organized; to frame, coordinate and discuss how we can facilitate the discourse, with an aim towards getting the best outcome from the Summit season; optimizing that against the goals and objectives laid out for tthis year's summit theme - i.e. Ontology Summit 2012: "Ontology for Big Systems"     (1J11A)
    • make distinction between your "organizer" role and your "content expert" role, both are important - at the ontology-summit-org committee, you are wearing the "organizer" hat; please segregate that from your "content expert" hat (which most of us will also also wear, say, when it comes to rolling out the content that you are championing.)     (1J11A1)
    • no (read: try to absolutely minimize) "content discussions" at the organizing committee meetings, please. We are here to do the meta-discussion on how to frame, coordinate and facilitate the discourse, and discuss "how" to produce an optimal outcome; the content discussions should be done via posting to the [ontology-summit] list, dedicated wiki "content pages" and at the Thursday virtual panel sessions.     (1J11A2)
  • try to provide a quick turn-around on email exchanges. A 4-hour turn-around window would be a good target. A 1 working day (8-Hr) or 24-elapse time response limit is appreciated from everyone (if you don't have a full response, at least provide an acknowledgment and an ETA for the full answer.)     (1J11B)
    • past that limit, people might just choose to call or forge ahead if the response is still missing after that     (1J11B1)
    • try to provide alternate means of contact (e.g. mobile phone number) to people you are collaborating closely with     (1J11B2)
  • for continuity, please try to be at all sessions (or at least your fellow co-champion is there, if you have a pair/team partner)     (1J11C)
  • since things are so interrelated, please always discuss/transact on the mailing list, so that everyone is kept posted     (1J11D)
    • use proper subject line, and prefix in square brackets to help discern topics     (1J11D1)
  • to allow us to freely speak our minds (without getting those utterances caught by search engine crawlers and the like) the [ontology-summit-org] message archives and shared-file workspace are password protected. You should have been informed of the role-based access credentials already if you are an organizing committee member. In case you missed them, please contact <peter.yim [at] cim3.com>. ... by the way, please do not share those credentials with others.     (1J11E)
  • Being able to have read and write access to the mailing list messages are crucial. In case you have trouble with that, please contact <peter.yim [at] cim3.com> asap.     (1J11F)
    • if you are new on the list, it might help if you check you spam folders first, because the distributed messages may inadvertently be caught by your spam filter.     (1J11F1)
    • please provide <peter.yim [at] cim3.com> with aliases (if you might post from them); multiple subscription addresses too.     (1J11F2)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1J11H)