From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2013: Getting Organized     (1)

This is a scratch workspace for the organization, coordination and planning of OntologySummit2013.     (1A)

Theme: Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle     (1B)

8th in the series of a 3-month open annual event by and for the Ontology Community. This Summit is co-organized by Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD     (1B1)

ref. OntologySummit     (1B2)

Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee Meetings     (1B5)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee Meetings     (1B6)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee conference call n.08 - Fri 2013.04.12     (1C)

The original Organizing Committee n.08 meeting of Fri 2013.03.29 was canceled (due to it being a holiday in some regions) and the agenda is postponed to Fri 2013.04.12. A few members did confer 'unofficially' to tackle the more urgent issues relating to plans for the symposium, though. ref.     (1C1)

Conference call details:     (1C2)

Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1C8)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1C14)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 1:52:53 ; mp3 ; 12.92 MB ) }}}     (1C14A)

  • Next meeting, wrap-up     (1C14O)
    • Meeting n.09 (last one before the symposium) - (tentative) Friday 2013.04.26 - 1.5~2.0 Hrs - starting 8:00am PDT / 11:00am EDT / 12:00pm ART / 5:00pm CEST / 4:00pm BST / 15:00 UTC - worldclock     (1C14O1)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via email     (1C14O2)

session adjourned: 10:02 am PDT     (1C14P)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.04.12-10:06 am PDT     (1C14R)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1C14S)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee conference call n.07 - Fri 2013.03.15     (1D)

Conference call details:     (1D1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D12)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 1:47:01 ; mp3 ; 12.25 MB ) }}}     (1D12A)

  • Status review - discourse on the [ontology-summit] list     (1D12J)
    • [action] ALL: need to direct/promote more content discussion on the lists     (1D12J1)
  • Status review - Advisors and co-sponsors ... (discussion deferred)     (1D12K)
  • Action items     (1D12M)
    • ALL: please refer to the above ... especially item(s) labeled "action," "attn" or "{yourname}" ... in particular:     (1D12M1)
    • [action-Track-Champions] all track champions will help make sure those who have been on their panels will indeed respond to the survey     (1D12M2)
    • [action-Track-Champions] all track champions to turn in their draft track synthesis/write-ups (partially with keypoint in outline form acceptable) to Amanda & Fabian by Thu 2013.03.28 ... finalized write-up needed by the weekend right after the Apr-4 Synthesis-II session     (1D12M3)
    • [action-SteveRay-RamSriram-MikeDean]: we need to get started on Symposium registration. NIST registration website (remote attendees registration on wiki too) needs to be up ASAP. Steve will communicate with Ram D. Sriram on this, and also on how we can get support from the NIST PR machine.     (1D12M4)
  • Next meeting, wrap-up     (1D12N)
    • Meeting n.08 - Friday 2013.03.29 - 1.5~2.0 Hrs - starting 8:00am PDT / 11:00am EDT / 12:00pm ART / 4:00pm CET / 15:00 GMT/UTC     (1D12N1)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via email     (1D12N2)

session adjourned: 9:56 am PDT     (1D12O)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.03.15-10:00 am PDT     (1D12Q)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1D12R)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee conference call n.06 - Fri 2013.03.01     (1E)

Conference call details:     (1E1)

  • Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1E7)
    • do a postmortem, now that we have had the "Synthesis-I" session, align our thoughts and establish key direction and approach (tweaks as necessary) for the rest of the Ontology Summit     (1E7A)
    • review work-in-progress on Mike Denny and KenBaclawski's survey implementation; solicit support from all champions to get respondents     (1E7B)
    • accommodating panelists: Nicola Guarino, Aldo Gangemi, ... (who were unable to make their sessions last minute) ... Enrico Motta (on the NeOn work) too     (1E7C)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E8)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 1:35:40 ; mp3 ; 10.95 MB ) }}}     (1E8A)

  • Next meeting, wrap-up     (1E8O)
    • Meeting n.07 - Friday 2013.03.15 - 2-Hrs - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST / 5:00pm CET / 16:00 GMT/UTC     (1E8O1)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via email     (1E8O2)

session adjourned: 9:43 am PST     (1E8P)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.03.01-10:07 am PST     (1E8R)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1E8S)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee conference call n.05 - Fri 2013.02.15     (1F)

Conference call details:     (1F1)

  • Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1F7)
    • discuss and finalize on agenda for the Feb-21 session-06: "Synthesis-I; Communique Outline & Organizing the Hackathon-Clinics"     (1F7A)
    • discussion: the 2012 & 2013 Surveys     (1F7B)
    • Todd Schneider / 2013.02.13: One point that may need to be addressed is an omission Terry found in the summit's 'Description, Goals, and Objectives'. In the second paragraph, second sentence, "... the entire lifecycle of an ontology -- from requirements gathering and analysis, through to design and implementation.", there's no (explicit) mention of operations nor maintenance. Could this be added?     (1F7C)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1F8)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 1:57:16 ; mp3 ; 13.42 MB ) }}}     (1F8A)

  • Status review - discourse on the [ontology-summit] list     (1F8I)
    • not a lot of action there; co-champions to moderate and encourage discourse on this platform     (1F8I1)
  • Status review - Symposium details ... [discussion deferred]     (1F8J)
  • Status review - Advisors and co-sponsors ... [discussion deferred]     (1F8K)
  • Any other business     (1F8L)
    • Todd Schneider / 2013.02.13: One point that may need to be addressed is an omission Terry found in the summit's 'Description, Goals, and Objectives'. In the second paragraph, second sentence, "... the entire lifecycle of an ontology -- from requirements gathering and analysis, through to design and implementation.", there's no (explicit) mention of operations nor maintenance. Could this be added?     (1F8L1)
  • Next meeting, wrap-up     (1F8N)
    • Meeting n.06 - Friday 2013.03.01 - 2-Hrs - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT/UTC     (1F8N1)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via email     (1F8N2)

session adjourned: 10.02 am PST     (1F8O)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.02.15-10:08 am PST     (1F8Q)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1F8R)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee conference call n.04 - Fri 2013.02.01     (1G)

Conference call details:     (1G1)

  • Add your Agenda Ideas and anything you want discussed at this meeting below:     (1G7)
    • more discussion on Public Relations, identify and appoint champions     (1G7A)
    • better define the vision and approach with respect to the "hackathon"     (1G7B)
    • exploring the running of "ontology evaluation clinic(s)" -     (1G7C)
      • (A) for Ontologies (established, and developing ones);     (1G7C1)
      • (B) for user community(ies) who has a real need to evaluate Ontologies that will be good for their ontology-driven application     (1G7C2)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1G8)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 1:53:04 ; mp3 ; 12.94 MB ) }}}     (1G8A)

Ontologies     (1G8G)

        • Session Plan / Abstract: Ontologies broadly come in two types: 1. Those developed for integrating data from various sources. 2. Those developed to support reasoning applications. ... We are having one session devoted to each of these types, to try to identify what is important for them separately, and then to compare and see what the differences and similarities are for methodologies of these two types on the email exploder. ... This first session will look at methodologies for developing integrating     (1G8H1A1)

ontologies and will aim to identify the range of things a methodology needs to address in order for it to continue to develop consistently when there are potentially a large and distributed number of people involved in its development.     (1G8I)

  • Status review - Symposium details (esp. choice of rooms within NIST)     (1G8L)
    • (for now) we have Green Auditorium for day-1; Portrait Room on day-2     (1G8L1)
  • Activities, support, ...     (1G8O)
    • Discussion: better define the vision and approach with respect to the "hackathon"     (1G8O1)
    • Discussion: exploring the running of "ontology evaluation clinic(s)"     (1G8O2)
      • (A) for Ontologies (established, and developing ones);     (1G8O2A)
      • (B) for user community(ies) who has a real need to evaluate Ontologies that will be good for their ontology-driven application     (1G8O2B)
  • Next meeting, wrap-up     (1G8R)
    • Meeting n.05 - Friday 2013.02.15 - 2-Hrs - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT/UTC     (1G8R1)
      • Matthew: I won't be able to make this one. ... Michael: I'll chair that call then.     (1G8R1A)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via email     (1G8R2)

session adjourned: 9:55 am PST     (1G8S)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.02.01-9:56 am PST     (1G8U)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1G8V)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee conference call n.03 - Fri 2013.01.18     (1H)

Conference call details:     (1H1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1H8)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 1:59:01 ; mp3 ; 13.62 MB ) }}}     (1H8A)

  • Virtual sessions preparation routine [attn: all session chairs]     (1H8E)
    • Session Title, abstract and overall plan due 2 weeks before event date     (1H8E1)
    • speakers (75% confirmed or better) with bios & email contact, and their talk titles and abstract (need title if abstract comes slightly later, but need that by the announcement, hopefully), due 10 days before event date (dependancy: above input from session chairs)     (1H8E2)
    • session page and initial announcement up - 1 week before event     (1H8E3)
    • slides due 2 days before event     (1H8E4)
    • also, all tracks will use the google-doc worksheet (started by SteveRay) to capture their plans (especially on panelists invitations and status) to better coordinate speaker engagements     (1H8E5)
  • Starting the discourse on the [ontology-summit] list ... [action-Track champions] All tracks to make an opening post over this weekend     (1H8G)
  • Symposium details (esp. choice of rooms within NIST) ... (defer discussion to email or until Ram and Mike can be in the meeting)     (1H8H)
    • [action] Steve will be at NIST next week, and can work with Ram on this a bit more     (1H8H1)
  • Activities, support, ...     (1H8K)
    • Surveys (anyone? Amanda-Mike?) and support available     (1H8K1)
      • Matthew and Mike will consider dusting off last year's survey and use it this year     (1H8K1A)
      • Joanne will consider doing a survey too ... not decided     (1H8K1B)
      • Peter: please decided soon, so we can have a roll-out plan ... this has to come out early in the game (we probably won't get a lot of response if it is rolled out late)     (1H8K1C)
    • "Hackathon" ... what's on people's minds ... (discussion deferred)     (1H8K2)
  • Next meeting, wrap-up     (1H8N)
    • can we go on an alternate week meeting routine yet? ... Matthew: Yes     (1H8N1)
      • use of the same Friday meeting slot by the tracks and champions for their own organizational activities (one team can use the conference bridge ... coordinate with Peter P. Yim if you need that)     (1H8N1A)
    • Meeting n.04 - Friday 2013.02.01 - 2.0-Hrs - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT/UTC     (1H8N2)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via the [ontology-summit-org] email list     (1H8N3)

session adjourned: 10:05 am PST     (1H8O)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.01.18-10:06am PST     (1H8Q)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1H8R)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee conference call n.02 - Fri 2013.01.11     (1I)

Conference call details:     (1I1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1I8)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 2:00:59 ; mp3 ; 13.85 MB ) }}}     (1I8A)

  • Finalizing symposium date(s) - May 2 & 3 (Thu & Fri)? (alternates are: Apr 15-16 or May 28 & 29)     (1I8D)
    • issue: there is a 1:00~3:30pm time on May 2 when the Portrait Room is occupied by another group     (1I8D1)
    • All: it makes more sense to try to make creative use of the "problematic" hour-and-a-half (after lunch), than to locate the symposium in another room (like AML) where security is stricter.     (1I8D2)
    • consensus: Ram will reserve May 2 & 3 and we will confirm via email again, so we can announce these dates during the launch event properly     (1I8D3)
  • Co-sponsors, Advisors, etc.     (1I8J)
    • Fabian and Peter will work on revamping the Advisory Committee     (1I8J1)
    • Co-sponsors - we will inherit from last year's list and make a call during the launch event (MichaelGruninger)     (1I8J2)
  • Action items     (1I8L)
    • [All presenter on the Jan-17 Launch Event] slides due end-of-day Tue Jan-15. Please email slides to the co-chairs and PeterYim. Slides to be in pdf and with all slides numbered; population of metadata too, if you please.     (1I8L1)
    • [RamSriram] - confirm symposium date & venue - Thu & Fri 2013.05.02 & 03, NIST, Gaithersburg, Portrait Room (except for 13:00~15:30 on May-2)     (1I8L2)
    • [MikeDean & RamSriram] - craft and share "mission statement" for the symposium - ready before the Jan-17 Launch     (1I8L3)
    • [MichaelGruninger] contact Ali Hashemi to recruit him as Public Relations champion again this year, and ask if he wants a co-champion too     (1I8L4)
    • [FabianNeuhaus & PeterYim] assess the revamping of the Advisory Committee; make recommendations to the committee     (1I8L5)
    • [PeterYim] to send reminder to George Strawn about his commitment to make a 5-min opening address (along with other co-organizer leadership) at the Jan-17 Launch Event. It is suggested for the organizers to not talk about their organizations, but more on why the subject is important and interesting for their respective community or from their respective vantage point (same for Michael & Fabian, below.)     (1I8L6)
    • [MichaelGruninger] to send reminder to Mark Musen about his commitment to make a 5-min opening address (along with other co-organizer leadership) at the Jan-17 Launch Event. Also, try to get NCBO to actively contribute this year (please have someone on the organizing committee too.)     (1I8L7)
    • [FabianNeuhaus] to send reminder to Barry Smith about his commitment to make a 5-min opening address (along with other co-organizer leadership) at the Jan-17 Launch Event; or identify who will be speaking in Barry's place if Barry is not available.     (1I8L8)
    • [LeoObrst] send reminder to Amanda Vizedom about her presentation with Co-Lead Communique Editor at the Jan-17 Launch Event; and that we also request that she gives a brief on the Ontology Summit 2013 Ontology Summit Community Library (hosted on Zotero)     (1I8L9)
    • [AmandaVizedom, Mike Bennett, SimonSpero] consider updating and re-using the survey developed last year for this Summit     (1I8L10)
    • [ToddSchneider & TerryLongstreth] to tie down the Jan-24 session plan ASAP ... please communicate session details to the rest of the committee, but at the least, to general chairs and Peter P. Yim no later than Jan-16.     (1I8L11)
    • [LeoObrst & SteveRay] to tie down the Jan-31 session plan by the next meeting (Jan-18) ... please communicate session details to the rest of the committee, but at the least, to general chairs and Peter P. Yim by then.     (1I8L12)
  • Next meeting, wrap-up     (1I8M)
    • Meeting n.03 - Friday 2013.01.18 - 1.5-Hrs - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT/UTC     (1I8M1)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via email     (1I8M2)

session adjourned: 10:04 am PST     (1I8N)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.01.11-10:13am PST     (1I8P)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1I8Q)


Ontology Summit 2013 First Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2012.12.14     (1J)

Conference call details:     (1J1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1J8)

{{{ [ Audio archives of the meeting ] . ( 2:17:33 ; mp3 ; 15.74MB ) }}}     (1J8A)

  • Opening, roll call, adopt agenda, quick self-intros.     (1J8C)
    • also: basics, logistics and some ground rules of engagement     (1J8C1)
  • Identify Deliverables for each of the track chairs (as well as overall summit) ... discussion deferred     (1J8J)
  • Action items, next meeting, wrap-up     (1J8M)
    • Meeting n.02 - Friday 2013.01.11 - 2-Hrs - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT/UTC     (1J8M1)
    • we will communicate all other outstanding issues via email     (1J8M2)

session adjourned: 10:20am PST     (1J8N)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2012.12.14-11:54am PST     (1J8P)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1J8Q)


Ontology Summit 2013 Organizing Committee: basics, logistics and some ground rules of engagement     (1J9)

  • we are here to get things organized; to frame, coordinate and discuss how we can facilitate the discourse, with an aim towards getting the best outcome from the Summit season; optimizing that against the goals and objectives laid out for this year's summit theme - i.e. Ontology Summit 2013: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"     (1J9A)
    • make distinction between your "organizer" role and your "content expert" role, both are important - at the ontology-summit-org committee, you are wearing the "organizer" hat; please segregate that from your "content expert" hat (which most of us will also also wear, say, when it comes to rolling out the content that you are championing.)     (1J9A1)
    • no (read: try to absolutely minimize) "content discussions" at the organizing committee meetings, please. We are here to do the meta-discussion on how to frame, coordinate and facilitate the discourse, and discuss "how" to produce an optimal outcome; the content discussions should be done via posting to the [ontology-summit] list, dedicated wiki "content pages" and at the Thursday virtual panel sessions.     (1J9A2)
  • try to provide a quick turn-around on email exchanges. A 4-hour turn-around window would be a good target. A 1 working day (8-Hr) or 24-elapse time response limit is appreciated from everyone (if you don't have a full response, at least provide an acknowledgment and an ETA for the full answer.)     (1J9B)
    • past that limit, people might just choose to call or forge ahead if the response is still missing after that     (1J9B1)
    • try to provide alternate means of contact (e.g. mobile phone number) to people you are collaborating closely with     (1J9B2)
  • for continuity, please try to be at all sessions (or at least your fellow co-champion is there, if you have a pair/team partner)     (1J9C)
    • all organizing committee members are committed to not missing more than 2 organizing committee meetings or community sessions; excessive unexcused absence may be cause for (or indicative of) withdrawal from the committee.     (1J9C1)
  • since things are so interrelated, please always discuss/transact on the mailing list, so that everyone is kept posted     (1J9D)
    • use proper subject line, and prefix in square brackets to help discern topics     (1J9D1)
  • to allow us to freely speak our minds (without getting those utterances caught by search engine crawlers and the like) the [ontology-summit-org] message archives and shared-file workspace are password protected. You should have been informed of the role-based access credentials already if you are an organizing committee member. In case you missed them, please contact <peter.yim@cim3.com>. ... by the way, please do not share those credentials with others.     (1J9E)
  • Being able to have read and write access to the mailing list messages are crucial. In case you have trouble with that, please contact <peter.yim@cim3.com> asap.     (1J9F)
    • if you are new on the list, it might help if you check you spam folders first, because the distributed messages may inadvertently be caught by your spam filter.     (1J9F1)
    • please provide <peter.yim@cim3.com> with aliases (if you might post from them); multiple subscription addresses too.     (1J9F2)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1J9H)