From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]
    (1)
Number 59
Duration 1 hour60 minute
3,600 second
0.0417 day
Date/Time October 1 2018 17:30 GMT
10:30 PDT/1:30pm EDT
6:30pm BST/7:30pm CEST
Convener Mike Bennett

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG     (2)

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.     (3)


Contents

Agenda     (5)

1. Housekeeping     (5A)

  • IAOA Membership and Joining     (5B)
  • SIG Website(s) and wiki - what's where now that the official site is in place?     (5C)

2. Events     (5D)

  • Recent events: JOWO, FOIS     (5E)
  • Finance and ontology event in Summer 2019 (joint with others - how can SWAO help?)     (5F)
  • Shared events calendar - next steps     (5G)

3. Discussion of new initiatives     (5H)

  • There is still seemingly a significant gulf between Applied Ontology and Semantic Web perceptions of ontology; how can this SIG work to bridge the gap, identify commonalities etc.?     (5I)

5. Next Meeting     (5K)

Proceedings     (6)

[13:33] MikeBennett:     (6A)

1.Housekeeping     (6B)

IAOA Membership and Joining     (6C)

SIG Website(s) and wiki - what's where now that the official site is in place?     (6D)

2.Events     (6E)

Recent events: JOWO, FOIS     (6F)

Finance and ontology event in Summer 2019 (joint with others - how can SWAO help?)     (6G)

Shared events calendar - next steps     (6H)

3.Discussion of new initiatives     (6I)

There is still seemingly a significant gulf between Applied Ontology and Semantic Web perceptions of ontology; how can this SIG work to bridge the gap, identify commonalities etc.?     (6J)

5.Next Meeting     (6L)

[13:35] MikeBennett: Housekeeping     (6M)

[13:36] MikeBennett: Web page(s): We now have a link to the SWAO wiki from the IAOA page - no left-over pages to worry about.     (6N)

[13:36] MikeBennett: Membership:     (6O)

[13:36] MikeBennett: is now working, per email that was sent out.     (6P)

[13:36] MikeBennett: 2 methods exist:     (6Q)

[13:36] MikeBennett: Europe: bank transfer     (6R)

[13:37] MikeBennett: Anywhere elsewhere: PayPal only.     (6S)

[13:37] MikeBennett: Credit cards are not about to be offered, as this is expensive (monthly charges high for the number of payments involved).     (6T)

[13:38] MikeBennett: Cheques or money orders? No plans in place.     (6U)

[13:38] MikeBennett: You do not need a PayPal account to pay via PayPal - any charge card can be used.     (6V)

[13:39] MikeBennett: So all this is all in place.     (6W)

[13:40] MikeBennett: Missing: when you join it does not automatically give you access to the Member Area for the IAOA website.     (6X)

[13:40] MikeBennett: KB is working on the code for that.     (6Y)

[13:41] MikeBennett: Any other questions on Housekeeping?     (6Z)

[13:46] MikeBennett: Possible F2F Meeting Oslo, February 2019. This is an IOF meeting.     (6AA)

[13:46] MikeBennett: There is some interest from eg Nicola and Stefano to show up there. And others.     (6AB)

[13:46] MikeBennett: Information to follow shortly.     (6AC)

[13:46] MikeBennett: Todd will forward this information to the     (6AD)

[13:47] MikeBennett: to the SWAO mailing list when available.     (6AE)

[13:49] MikeBennett: Shared calendar - we can pass our information along from the shared calendar, to the person who maintains the main IAOA calendar. First we need to update this for 2019.     (6AF)

[13:50] MikeBennett: Other events of note:     (6AG)

[13:50] MikeBennett: There is another semantic conference in the US - not replacing the SemTech from Dataversity.     (6AH)

[13:50] MikeBennett: Seems to be US Semantic something Symposium.     (6AI)

[13:50] MikeBennett: to be added to the Shared calendar.     (6AJ)

[13:51] KenBaclawski: Here is the US Semantic Technologies website: http://us2ts.org/2019/     (6AK)

[13:52] Andrea Westerinen: US Semantic Technologies Symposium, http://us2ts.org/2019/     (6AL)

[13:54] MikeBennett: Finance event Summer 2019     (6AM)

[13:54] MikeBennett: MB: Keen on common concept ontology for finance.     (6AN)

[13:55] MikeBennett: TS: Also the IOF initiative could do with input on finance and contracts.     (6AO)

[13:55] MikeBennett: MB: Realist v Conceptualist may be an issue for finance, at least if IOF requires a realist stance.     (6AP)

[13:56] MikeBennett: Whether or not this is an issue, is not really clear. May be issues around agency.     (6AQ)

[13:57] MikeBennett: There has been no formal decision in IOF about what the upper ontology is. TS recommends use of DOLCE there also.     (6AR)

[13:57] MikeBennett: Event is also an area of interest.     (6AS)

[13:58] MikeBennett: See also paper by Nicola and Stefano on situations (reference to be found).     (6AT)

[13:59] MikeBennett: Can we therefore bring any work done on finance at IOF into the summer Finance event - if any done by then.     (6AU)

[13:59] MikeBennett: So the event...     (6AV)

[13:59] MikeBennett: Potential for using North Eastern as a venue.     (6AW)

[13:59] MikeBennett: However, NE change for the rooms. So a 9 - 5 workshop is US $360 per day.     (6AX)

[14:00] MikeBennett: If there is an outside group with someone in the uni sponsoring it, these are the rates. With no internal NE sponsor, it is 2x that.     (6AY)

[14:01] MikeBennett: Ken would not be able to be a sponsor but does think we would be able to find a sponsor internally.     (6AZ)

[14:01] MikeBennett: 3rd option would be if it was an 'internal' event.     (6AAA)

[14:01] MikeBennett: What does 'internal' mean?     (6AAB)

[14:01] MikeBennett: KB: e.g. if an external organization like the EDM Council were involved it would be external.     (6AAC)

[14:02] MikeBennett: In a recent one, conference charged a fee.     (6AAD)

[14:03] MikeBennett: Would e.g the IAOA or this SWAO SIG count as an outside group?     (6AAE)

[14:03] MikeBennett: They would.     (6AAF)

[14:03] MikeBennett: Whats been decided so far?     (6AAG)

[14:04] MikeBennett: Was brought up at the EC meeting. NE was offered, but others also being looked at.     (6AAH)

[14:04] MikeBennett: Would also co-locate with JOWO to give 4 days for 4 rooms. 16 room days.     (6AAI)

[14:05] MikeBennett: Assume there would be some fee, as there has been for JOWO.     (6AAJ)

[14:05] MikeBennett: Also need for snacks. No formal requirement to use the University's own caterer.     (6AAK)

[14:07] MikeBennett: How many people would there be?     (6AAL)

[14:08] MikeBennett: Why 4 rooms?     (6AAM)

[14:08] MikeBennett: This was what was suggested at the EC meeting.     (6AAN)

[14:08] MikeBennett: At 20 persons per room this would be $280 per person.     (6AAO)

[14:10] MikeBennett: NE has dormitories for accommodation. These have been well reviewed.     (6AAP)

[14:11] MikeBennett: In Boston, need to carefully avoid any week when there is a major sports event e.g. the Red Sox.     (6AAQ)

[14:13] MikeBennett: Can someone get hold of the Red Sox fixtures calendar and identify dates to avoid.     (6AAR)

[14:13] MikeBennett: Separately, there are also constraints on the availability of rooms at NE itself, due to other event they hold.     (6AAS)

[14:15] MikeBennett: So... is this something the SWAO could be helping to organize?     (6AAT)

[14:16] MikeBennett: It is certainly something that can have a SWAO component to it. Others are looking at other venues.     (6AAU)

[14:16] MikeBennett: Conclusion: If it is with the NE venue, this group can help organize, logistics etc.     (6AAV)

[14:21] MikeBennett: SWAO Mission: the perceived disconnect between SemWeb (OWL applications) and Applied Ontologies still exists. How do we try to address that.     (6AAW)

[14:22] MikeBennett: Also see Ed Ctee list of terms e.g. for 'ontology' (see also Ontolog conversions right now).     (6AAX)

[14:22] MikeBennett: Starting point: what is an ontology.     (6AAY)

[14:23] MikeBennett: Can we have some framework that sets out these distinctions?     (6AAZ)

[14:24] MikeBennett: MB: Need conceptual models that are explicit, to have an audit.     (6AAAA)

[14:25] MikeBennett: Actions:     (6AAAB)

[14:25] MikeBennett: Look up the definition for 'ontology' in the IAOA thing     (6AAAC)

[14:25] MikeBennett: Define what is a 'conceptual model'?     (6AAAD)

[14:25] MikeBennett: Add a definition for that.     (6AAAE)

[14:26] MikeBennett: Intent of the Term list is not to provide analysis of the terms but provide the notions and links to the sources for those.     (6AAAF)

[14:28] MikeBennett: We need to have clear intensional definition of the concepts of things like 'ontology' and 'conceptual mode' and the rest - even as simple written intentions for now (later turn into an ontology?     (6AAAG)

[14:29] MikeBennett: There is a terms list on IAOA - no link to it from the current IAOA page. It still exists - being run by Maria Keet at UCT.     (6AAAH)

[14:30] MikeBennett: Ken please add a link to Maria's IAOA terms list from the IAOA site. The page is available.     (6AAAI)

[14:31] MikeBennett: Someone send Ken the link to that.     (6AAAJ)

[14:31] MikeBennett: Also what to do with that material?     (6AAAK)

[14:32] MikeBennett: Can also start blogging again about the distinctions between these things.     (6AAAL)

[14:32] MikeBennett: Also the EC is looking at Wikipedia.     (6AAAM)

[14:34] MikeBennett: MB to introduce Michael Gruninger and Ken B to any other contacts we can think of in the Boston area.     (6AAAN)

[14:36] MikeBennett: Also some good potential cross-over with the CDO group that meets in Boston     (6AAAP)

[14:38] MikeBennett: Also potential to tap in to the network of connections that NE already has - per the above link     (6AAAQ)

[14:39] MikeBennett: There were also some folks interested in FIBO a while ago who contacted Ken. Maybe pass the info on to MB if it surfaces again.     (6AAAR)

[14:39] MikeBennett: KB can contact people in the Finance Group and see who would be interested.     (6AAAS)

[14:39] MikeBennett: There is also an Accounting school. Very highly rated.     (6AAAT)

[14:40] MikeBennett: Bringing up an accounting dimension would open up some interesting avenues for this event, specifically in XBRL and in REA. For example, on semantics for accounting concepts. [14:41] MikeBennett: How soon before we know if any of the other venues being looked at for the summer event, are still in play?     (6AAAU)

[14:42] Andrea Westerinen: Sorry but I have another meeting coming up as well.     (6AAAV)

[14:42] Andrea Westerinen: Bye     (6AAAW)

[14:42] MikeBennett: Also maybe talk to the folks involved with the MITIQ conference on data quality (some finance cross-over at these).     (6AAAX)

Attendees     (7)

Next Meetings     (8)

Previous Meetings     (9)