From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2014: Review and Follow-up Action Planning ("postmortem") Session - Thu 2014-05-15     (1)

  • Summit Theme: OntologySummit2014: "Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology"     (1A)
  • Session Topic: "Postmortem" - Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session     (1B)

Agenda / Briefings:     (1D)

Abstract     (1K)

OntologySummit2014: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - slides     (1K1)

With the adjournment of the OntologySummit2014_Symposium (on 29-Apr-2014) we have completed the program of this year's OntologySummit. This has been our 9th Ontology Summit, that featured a host of events spanning four months, and jointly organized by Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD, with the championship from our organizing committee members and support of our co-sponsors. The theme adopted for this Ontology Summit was: "Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology."     (1K2)

The event today is our virtual postmortem session. We will be expecting participants of this year's summit, especially members of the organizing team, as well as anyone interested in the process or content of past and future Ontology Summits, at this session.     (1K3)

The goal of this session is to revisit the Ontology Summit that just finished, and to plan ahead for the future. We will discuss what worked and what can be improved during the 4 months of Ontology Summit 2014 (plus the preparation work that led up to it,) and get ideas on how to make next year's Ontology Summit even better. This meeting gives us an opportunity to develop some plans and initiatives for action that will move what we have achieved beyond the 4-month Summit itself. Further, this meeting also provides an initial opportunity to suggest topics and themes for our next OntologySummit.     (1K4)

See also: OntologySummit (home page for the summit series) and document your thoughts at: OntologySummit/Suggestions     (1K5)

Agenda Ideas     (1L)

  • Review what worked and what didn't this year     (1L1)
  • Good ideas, suggestions and possible action that arose     (1L2)
  • Follow-up Action planning with ...     (1L3)
    • the Communique, journal paper(s) and other write-ups, spreading the word ... getting more endorsements     (1L3A)
    • initiatives along the same theme, that will be pursued by the community beyond this Summit     (1L3B)
    • other potential collaborative project team-ups ... especially to extend from the Hackathon-Clinics projects     (1L3C)
    • Getting the word out     (1L3D)
  • Suggestions (e.g. themes, process, people) for Ontology Summit 2015     (1L4)
  • ... (please insert below, anything else you may suggest)     (1L5)

Agenda     (1M)

Ontology Summit 2014 - Postmortem Session     (1M1)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1M2)

Proceedings     (1N)

Please refer to the above     (1N1)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1N2)

see raw transcript here.     (1N2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1N2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1N2C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1N2D)


Chat transcript from room: summit_20140515     (1N2E)

2014-05-15 GMT-08:00 [PDT]     (1N2F)


[8:51] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1N2G)

Ontology Summit 2014: Review and Follow-up Action Planning ("postmortem") Session - Thu 2014-05-15     (1N2H)

Summit Theme: Ontology Summit 2014: "Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology"     (1N2I)

Session Topic: "Postmortem" - Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session     (1N2J)

Session Co-chairs: Professor Michael Grüninger and Dr. Leo Obrst     (1N2K)

1. Summary and Reflections on Ontology Summit 2014 - General Co-chairs: Michael Grüninger & Leo Obrst     (1N2M)

2. Summary and Reflections on the OntologySummit2014_Symposium - Sumposium co-chairs: Ram D. Sriram & Tim Finin     (1N2N)

3. Ontology Summit 2014 and OntologySummit(s) in Numbers & Charts - Peter P. Yim & Amanda Vizedom     (1N2O)

4. Open Discussion-I: postmortem and follow-ups for Ontology Summit 2014 - All     (1N2P)

5. Open Discussion-II: Ideas and suggestion for our next Ontology Summit - All     (1N2Q)

6. AOB / Actions Items / Wrap-up - session co-chairs: Leo Obrst & Michael Grüninger     (1N2R)

Logistics:     (1N2S)

  • (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center) and morph from "anonymous" to your RealName; also please enable "Show timestamps" while there.     (1N2U)
  • Mute control (phone keypad): *7 to un-mute ... *6 to mute     (1N2V)

(i.e. even if it says it is "offline," you should still be able to connect to it.)     (1N2Y)

    • if you are using skype and the connection to "joinconference" is not holding up, try using (your favorite POTS or     (1N2Z1)

VoIP line, etc.) either your phone, skype-out or google-voice and call the US dial-in number: +1 (206) 402-0100     (1N2AA)

... when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1N2AB)

  • when posting in this Chat-room, kindly observe the following ...     (1N2AF)
    • whenever a name is used, please use the full WikiWord name format (every time you don't, some volunteer will have to make an edit afterwards)     (1N2AG1)
    • always provide context (like: "[ref. JaneDoe's slide#12], I think the point about context is great" ... rather than "that's great!"     (1N2AH1)

as the latter would mean very little in the archives.)     (1N2AI)

the timestamp (in PST) of his/her post that you are responding to (e.g. "@JaneDoe [11:09] - I agree, but, ...")     (1N2AK)

    • use fully qualified url's (include http:// ) without symbols (like punctuations or parentheses, etc.) right before of after that URL     (1N2AL1)

Proceedings     (1N2AQ)

[8:24] anonymous morphed into Rokan Faruqui     (1N2AR)

[9:34] anonymous morphed into Brand Niemann     (1N2AS)

[9:38] Ram D. Sriram: I am here, but I guess I am muted     (1N2AT)

[9:39] Leo Obrst: Ram: *7     (1N2AU)

[9:39] Peter P. Yim: == Michael Grüninger starts session on behalf of the co-chairs ... see slides under:     (1N2AV)

[9:44] anonymous morphed into BethDiGiulian     (1N2AX)

[9:45] Brand Niemann: You did engage the 200_ members of the Federal Big Data Working Group Meetup:     (1N2AY)

http://www.meetup.com/Federal-Big-Data-Working-Group/ and I prepared input to your review and action     (1N2AZ)

planning session today.     (1N2AAA)

[9:48] Brand Niemann: You might consider becoming a Meetup: The world's largest network of local     (1N2AAB)

groups to revitalize local community and help people around the world self-organize like MOOCs     (1N2AAC)

(Massive Open On-line Classes) being considered by the White House. The Meetup.com collaboration     (1N2AAD)

environment is very inexpensive.     (1N2AAE)

[9:48] Leo Obrst: [further to the "Chair" slides] More generally: What were the successful aspects of     (1N2AAF)

Ontology Summit 2014? What wasn't so successful? And how should we change these for Ontology Summit     (1N2AAG)

2015? What do we need to add?     (1N2AAH)

[9:49] Peter P. Yim: @Chairs - we have 23 on the conference bridge now, but only 19 on the chat now ...     (1N2AAI)

(when you have a chance) please prompt those folks to join us in the chat-room     (1N2AAJ)

[9:51] Christoph Lange: Sorry for joining late; now catching up with the chat     (1N2AAK)

[9:52] anonymous morphed into Carol Bean     (1N2AAL)

[9:55] Terry Longstreth: Michael Grüninger slide 6: should mention topic of availability of     (1N2AAM)

entry-level training - I believe part of the tension Michael mentions stems from lack of common     (1N2AAN)

baselines. May need to explain dichotomy of ontology for human consumption/communication vs. machine     (1N2AAO)

(essentially, an ontology as a computer program).     (1N2AAP)

[9:56] Mike Bennett: @Terry +1 it feels that most available training material assumes that whichever     (1N2AAQ)

aspect of this is of interest to the trainer, is all there is. I may be being unfair there!     (1N2AAR)

[9:58] Leo Obrst: @[9:55] Terry Longstreth: the IAOA SWAO SIG chairs have proposed a joint effort with     (1N2AAS)

the IAOA Education Committee to provide a set of tutorials on ontologies, best practices for     (1N2AAT)

ontological engineering, etc. -- and probably to be hosted on the IAOA web site, and thus be open to     (1N2AAU)

[10:02] Sunday Ojo: These three could be viewed as different levels of abstraction of same     (1N2AAW)

application domain semantics.     (1N2AAX)

[10:04] Mike Bennett: @Sunday indeed. Or separation of concerns, framed in terms of software     (1N2AAY)

development methodologies. One workshop I have been involved with in the past focuses on use of     (1N2AAZ)

ontologies as "Conceptual Models" (in one sense of that word) for example. So I think we are saying     (1N2AAAA)

this an area of thinking that can be further developed and taken forward :)     (1N2AAAB)

[10:01] Brand Niemann: We have scheduled tutorials on ontologies and best practices for ontological     (1N2AAAC)

engineering for our June 2nd Meetup     (1N2AAAD)

[10:04] Todd Schneider: Brand, could provide the location of the 2 June MeetUp (for the DMV     (1N2AAAE)

participants).     (1N2AAAF)

[10:08] Brand Niemann: 8405 Greensboro Dr., Suite 930, McLean, VA 22102 and see details at:     (1N2AAAG)

[9:54] Peter P. Yim: == The Symposium Co-chairs, Tim Finin & Ram D. Sriram, making some remarks to reflect on     (1N2AAAI)

[9:58] Peter P. Yim: [pertinent to the remarks being made] see:     (1N2AAAK)

[10:01] Peter P. Yim: kudos to Christi Kapp for the HUGE amount of work (and the quality she attained) in     (1N2AAAM)

post-processing the OntologySummit2014_Symposium material (especially the audio archives) ... see     (1N2AAAN)

that on the Symposium page under:     (1N2AAAO)

[10:04] Peter P. Yim: also thanks to Ram D. Sriram for sharing with us the pictures, and a few video clips     (1N2AAAQ)

he captured during the Symposium     (1N2AAAR)

[10:05] Michael Grüninger: RamSriram's idea: poster session at the Symposium     (1N2AAAS)

[10:20] Tim Finin: I suggested on the phone that we might try to present an overview of the Ontology     (1N2AAAT)

Summit (History and latest activities) at AAAI-15 ( http://bit.ly/15Aaai , Austin TX, Jan 25-29),     (1N2AAAU)

perhaps based on a senior member track summary paper ( http://bit.ly/1lkc5cd ) or an invitation from     (1N2AAAV)

the AI and the Web track (co-chaired by PascalHitzler)     (1N2AAAW)

[10:06] Peter P. Yim: == Peter P. Yim presenting on "OntologySummit2014 and OntologySummit(s) in Numbers" ...     (1N2AAAX)

[10:12] Amanda Vizedom: FWIW, I think that the Co-sponsors role experienced some shift in meaning     (1N2AAAY)

from last year.     (1N2AAAZ)

[10:15] Amanda Vizedom: Comment on PeterYim's slide 10: Personally, my focus is on Advancement,     (1N2AAAAA)

rather than Promotion, but I think that Advancement *requires* outreach - our conversations need to     (1N2AAAAB)

continue to diversify.     (1N2AAAAC)

[10:17] Leo Obrst: @[13:06] PeterYim's presentation (slide 10): Dedication of contributors: this will     (1N2AAAAD)

be more important next year, when we will not have Peter's great support.     (1N2AAAAE)

[10:16] Peter P. Yim: == Amanda Vizedom presenting on "OntologySummit2014 Analytics: some charts from Social Media" ...     (1N2AAAAF)

[10:26] Matthew West: Sorry, arrived late, now leaving early.     (1N2AAAAG)

[10:27] Amanda Vizedom: As of this moment, Ontology Summit 2014 on Google+ has 72 followers and 5,403     (1N2AAAAH)

views on its posts.     (1N2AAAAI)

[10:27] Peter P. Yim: == Open Discussion-I: postmortem and follow-ups for Ontology Summit 2014 - All     (1N2AAAAJ)

[10:27] Peter P. Yim: (recap from above) [9:48] Leo Obrst: More generally: What were the successful     (1N2AAAAK)

aspects of Ontology Summit 2014? What wasn't so successful? And how should we change these for     (1N2AAAAL)

Ontology Summit 2015? What do we need to add?     (1N2AAAAM)

[9:49] Todd Schneider: Successful: Engaged a wider audience.     (1N2AAAAN)

[9:50] Todd Schneider: Not so Successful: Didn't engage the targeted communities to the extent expected.     (1N2AAAAO)

[10:36] Brand Niemann: I want to give praise for the keynotes since I have to leave and thought they     (1N2AAAAP)

were the most valuable to the Big Data Community I am involved with as follows: I have followed up with     (1N2AAAAQ)

all four of your principal speakers to their requests for additional information on our work as follows:     (1N2AAAAR)

George Strawn: Research objects as digital objects:     (1N2AAAAS)

Farnam Jahanian: NSF Big Data Publications:     (1N2AAAAV)

Philip Bourne: Data Publications in Data Browsers:     (1N2AAAAY)

Daniel Kaufman (and Paul Cohen): June 2nd Meetup on Reading & Reasoning with Semantic Insights for     (1N2AAAAAA)

the DARPA Big Mechanism:     (1N2AAAAAB)

George Strawn challenged us to find another (Semantic Medline on YarcData being the first) best practice     (1N2AAAAAD)

example of Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology, or as we like to say Big Data with     (1N2AAAAAE)

Semantic Web and Applied Ontology. The one we selected is the new Climate Change Impacts in the     (1N2AAAAAF)

United States Report and Web Site, which also happens to be for his boss John Holdren, the     (1N2AAAAAG)

Presidents Science Advisor!     (1N2AAAAAH)

Our work in progress is at:     (1N2AAAAAI)

Big Data and use of the Semantic Web and Applied Ontology: http://data.globalchange.gov/resources     (1N2AAAAAK)

which we are building on to make this a Data Publication in a Data Browser.     (1N2AAAAAL)

This work is the subject of future Meetups and we hope there are future Applied Ontology Summits on     (1N2AAAAAM)

this subject: Big Data with Semantic Web and Applied Ontology.     (1N2AAAAAN)

[10:28] Michael Grüninger: === What were the successful aspects of the Tracks?     (1N2AAAAAO)

[10:22] Christoph Lange: Summary of my input: it's difficult to strike a balance between making     (1N2AAAAAP)

co-organizers aware that their "continuous" (not exactly, but pretty much) commitment throughout the     (1N2AAAAAQ)

summit "season" is needed, and between still keeping it attractive for newcomers to join the     (1N2AAAAAR)

organization team. There were several occasions where I had not exactly been aware that another     (1N2AAAAAS)

input (usually slides reporting on something) were due. It was all in Peter's emails but sometimes     (1N2AAAAAT)

had escaped my attention. But don't get me wrong, I enjoyed very much being a first-time track     (1N2AAAAAU)

[10:26] Mike Bennett: @Christoph [10:22] that's how it more or less is for all of us. I sometimes     (1N2AAAAAW)

think we would not get as much done if we realized in advance what we were getting ourselves into.     (1N2AAAAAX)

Peter has always struck the ideal balance of encouraging, expecting and patiently awaiting stuff.     (1N2AAAAAY)

[10:31] Amanda Vizedom: Good responsiveness of Track content to community input and ongoing     (1N2AAAAAZ)

conversations.     (1N2AAAAAAA)

[10:33] Michael Grüninger: Track champions did a great job of synthesis     (1N2AAAAAAB)

[10:32] Amanda Vizedom: I agree with Michael: Tracks did good job with synthesis this year.     (1N2AAAAAAC)

[10:34] Peter P. Yim: Matthew West: [input via an earlier email] I thought the summit was good,     (1N2AAAAAAD)

illustrating the value of/need for lightweight approaches to ontology. Our track, Track C -     (1N2AAAAAAE)

Bottlenecks, struggled a bit because of how diverse the track turned out to be.     (1N2AAAAAAF)

[10:35] Amanda Vizedom: The tracks were more coherent and useful to overall picture this year than     (1N2AAAAAAG)

last. That's not a dig at last year's track leads. It may be more a lesson in the consequences of     (1N2AAAAAAH)

how tracks are divided and defined. Last year's track boundaries turned out not to be so clear, this     (1N2AAAAAAI)

year's were better.     (1N2AAAAAAJ)

[10:38] Ram D. Sriram: I would like to reiterate Tim's comments on the tracks, i.e., it would be nice to     (1N2AAAAAAL)

have a summary insight on each track. [context: Tim Finin suggested that track reports during the     (1N2AAAAAAM)

Symposium, especially those remotely presented, could improve by sharing insights than just     (1N2AAAAAAN)

describing what had transpired from the virtual sessions. =ppy]     (1N2AAAAAAO)

[10:35] anonymous morphed into Francesca Quattri     (1N2AAAAAAP)

[10:43] Christoph Lange: Summary of my point (made verbally): where track champions "synthesize"     (1N2AAAAAAQ)

specific points from panelists' presentations into the communique, I'd say the track champions     (1N2AAAAAAR)

assume responsibility for, at least, the factual correctness of these citations. They should also     (1N2AAAAAAS)

give the panelists (plus, as appropriate, other community members) the chance to review the     (1N2AAAAAAT)

synthesis before it's finalized.     (1N2AAAAAAU)

[10:43] Amanda Vizedom: ++ for PeterYim's point: It is very important, and should be clear that track     (1N2AAAAAAV)

champions will be responsible for engaging speakers in their areas.     (1N2AAAAAAW)

[10:44] Peter P. Yim: @[10:43] Amanda Vizedom ... Yes, that was the point made by Christoph Lange, but     (1N2AAAAAAX)

additionally, it is also useful and important that track champions be made responsible for engaging     (1N2AAAAAAY)

the communities that revolve around their track focus     (1N2AAAAAAZ)

[10:37] Michael Grüninger: === What went well with the Communique?     (1N2AAAAAAAA)

[10:38] Christoph Lange: Collaborative commenting in Google Docs worked well.     (1N2AAAAAAAB)

[10:38] Peter P. Yim: I personally think that this is the best communique we have had so far     (1N2AAAAAAAC)

[10:39] Todd Schneider: I think Leo and Michael did a very nice job of weaving the materials from the     (1N2AAAAAAAD)

tracks into a coherent story.     (1N2AAAAAAAE)

[10:39] BethDiGiulian: I was amazed at how quickly the Communique was compiled and ready for     (1N2AAAAAAAF)

distribution. Great job.     (1N2AAAAAAAG)

[10:40] Andrea Westerinen: I felt that the communique reflected Track A's synthesis, not as a copy     (1N2AAAAAAAH)

but as a continuation and incorporation of our thinking. Also, the ability to contribute to the     (1N2AAAAAAAI)

communique, cooperatively, was great.     (1N2AAAAAAAJ)

[10:43] Michael Grüninger: === What went well with the Hackathon? How can we improve the Hackathon?     (1N2AAAAAAAK)

[10:47] Ram D. Sriram: Hackathons were great, but it would have been better if we had a strong     (1N2AAAAAAAL)

connection to the theme of the summit.     (1N2AAAAAAAM)

[10:51] Terry Longstreth: @[10:47] Ram D. Sriram - beyond adhering to the theme, encourage greater     (1N2AAAAAAAN)

participation of Hackathon-actors with other parts of summit.     (1N2AAAAAAAO)

[10:47] Amanda Vizedom: Good thing: Hackathon did bring in a wider spread of people ... true of some     (1N2AAAAAAAP)

other aspects of summit as well     (1N2AAAAAAAQ)

[10:48] Amanda Vizedom: Less good: Not Semantic Web / Big Data - driven as much as would have been     (1N2AAAAAAAR)

[10:49] Andrea Westerinen: Good thing: Some of the hackathon subjects were directly related to the     (1N2AAAAAAAT)

subject of the Summit.     (1N2AAAAAAAU)

[10:50] Amanda Vizedom: Good thing: we engaged more people in the hackathon, and summit generally,     (1N2AAAAAAAV)

including people outside of the applied ontology core.     (1N2AAAAAAAW)

[10:50] Peter P. Yim: a couple of personal regrets were that we weren't able to involve IBM:Watson and     (1N2AAAAAAAX)

Google:knowledge-graph or schema.org work into the hackathons (both of which actually would have     (1N2AAAAAAAY)

lend themselves well to such activities) ... we tried, though.     (1N2AAAAAAAZ)

[10:52] Andrea Westerinen: Less bad: Some of the hackathon projects were not really related to the     (1N2AAAAAAAAA)

subject of the Summit. This might have splintered the participants, detracting from the more     (1N2AAAAAAAAB)

subject-oriented projects.     (1N2AAAAAAAAC)

[10:53] Mike Bennett: @Andrea agreed, but as a counter to that we did have someone come on to our     (1N2AAAAAAAAD)

Hackathon who had been on one of the other hackathons - so it might be a good means to get people     (1N2AAAAAAAAE)

[10:56] Andrea Westerinen: @MikeBennett [10:53] Your experience could enforce my point since you     (1N2AAAAAAAAG)

might have had additional participation from the beginning. :-)     (1N2AAAAAAAAH)

[10:57] Mike Bennett: @Andrea [10:56] maybe - but this was someone from Russia who might not have     (1N2AAAAAAAAI)

known of the Summit other than through having participated in the Hackathon over there? It might     (1N2AAAAAAAAJ)

work both ways I think. We should certainly think of the hackathons as part of the engagement model,     (1N2AAAAAAAAK)

but make the topics more focused on the Summit themes.     (1N2AAAAAAAAL)

[10:58] Andrea Westerinen: @MikeBennett [10:57] +1     (1N2AAAAAAAAM)

[10:54] Amanda Vizedom: Less good: That engagement wasn't that deep. It didn't drive as much as we     (1N2AAAAAAAAN)

would have liked. The projects weren't so much framed by the experiences of people who were first     (1N2AAAAAAAAO)

and foremost Semantic Web / Big Data users / consumers of ontologies.     (1N2AAAAAAAAP)

[10:54] Leo Obrst: More direct connection of individual hackathons to specific tracks? Or not?     (1N2AAAAAAAAQ)

[10:54] Andrea Westerinen: @LeoObrst, +1 although cross-track is also very valuable.     (1N2AAAAAAAAR)

[10:54] Michael Grüninger: We might want to start Hackathon planning as soon as the Tracks are     (1N2AAAAAAAAS)

[10:54] Mike Bennett: I agree with Michael's idea to start planning and thinking of themes for     (1N2AAAAAAAAU)

Hackathon alongside the tracks i.e. at the beginning - rather than treating it as a "track" in its     (1N2AAAAAAAAV)

own right. Would help better alignment to the overall Summit themes without necessarily need to     (1N2AAAAAAAAW)

align 1:1 with actual tracks.     (1N2AAAAAAAAX)

[10:59] Amanda Vizedom: It would be extremely valuable to have hackathon co-organizer(s) who are     (1N2AAAAAAAAY)

deeply in the partner communities *and* have time and desire to be very active about bringing those     (1N2AAAAAAAAZ)

communities insights and efforts into play.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAA)

[10:56] Michael Grüninger: === What well with the website, mailing list, and other online resources?     (1N2AAAAAAAAAB)

[10:58] Christoph Lange: connection dropping; will continue typing     (1N2AAAAAAAAAC)

[10:58] Christoph Lange: @others, please go ahead     (1N2AAAAAAAAAD)

[10:59] Francesca Quattri: One thing that could maybe be addressed is how to better manage the email     (1N2AAAAAAAAAE)

flow that the Summit brings with it every year. I remember Peter when he mentioned to us that     (1N2AAAAAAAAAF)

actually a lot of Association members do ask to be put off the list due to that overflow     (1N2AAAAAAAAAG)

[11:04] Francesca Quattri: maybe people kind of feel discouraged or overwhelmed by that amount of     (1N2AAAAAAAAAH)

emails coming in daily     (1N2AAAAAAAAAI)

[(subsequent)] Peter P. Yim comment: people 'leaving' were usually caused by the exchange losing focus,     (1N2AAAAAAAAAJ)

and not just a result of traffic volume. Moderation by track champions are helping tremendously.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAK)

[11:00] Peter P. Yim: I still think the "community library" notion has been (and will continue to be) a     (1N2AAAAAAAAAL)

really good thing (I disagree with Amanda about it not being "worth it") ... the later contribution     (1N2AAAAAAAAAM)

from JeiBao & Li Ding, their automated aggregation (ref.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAN)

library would be great!     (1N2AAAAAAAAAP)

[11:01] Andrea Westerinen: Perhaps have a dedicated person to add links to the library. As a track     (1N2AAAAAAAAAQ)

co-chair, I ran out of time to update the library.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAR)

[11:01] Amanda Vizedom: RE: AndreaWesterenin's specific thought about other people sending emails or     (1N2AAAAAAAAAT)

sending links or heads-up to a dedicated library maintainer: I did request that, at an early point,     (1N2AAAAAAAAAU)

both last year and this year (before switching roles). It didn't happen.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAV)

[11:01] Mike Bennett: I agree that the Library was a Good Thing - based on last year's experience.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAW)

The issue this year was that although it is quite easy to use, none of us had quite the bandwidth to     (1N2AAAAAAAAAX)

think of going there and putting things in it. Maybe whoever is the full time web person should also     (1N2AAAAAAAAAY)

keep the Library afloat.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAZ)

[11:04] Terry Longstreth: I agree with Amanda's point that the populating of libraries should be part     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAA)

of the process of creating material for the summit; whether presentations, reports, hackathon     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAB)

results or ancillary material.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAC)

[11:00] Christoph Lange: In the beginning I had a hard time finding my way on the     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAD)

content, for example, IIRC, two sections with schedules of phone calls, one tentative, one more     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAF)

concrete. I do agree with PeterYim's point that old content should be archived, but I found it hard     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAG)

to see "the latest state of affairs" at a glance. OTOH I'm sure this comment will soon be obsolete     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAH)

[11:02] Christoph Lange: I was done anyway; I typed what I wanted to say at [11:00]     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAJ)

[11:06] Amanda Vizedom: IMHO, it would make a big difference if we had all of our online resource     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAK)

infrastructure in place before the Summit launch. Working on it and/or shifting it while underway     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAL)

uses a lot of resources (i.e., takes resources that might be going into the live-action content of     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAM)

the summit) and confuses people.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAN)

[11:02] Tim Finin: I'll have to drop off for a meeting. Tim     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAO)

[11:05] Michael Grüninger: == Open Discussion-II: Ideas and suggestion for our next Ontology Summit ...     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAP)

[11:05] Michael Grüninger: === What can we add to the Summit to improve it?     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAQ)

[11:05] BethDiGiulian: I have to drop off as well. Just want to say that I found the Summit to be     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAR)

extremely well run. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." You had great key notes, good community     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAS)

involvement, clear agendas, good summaries. To me, more explanation about the goals for outcomes of     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAT)

the summit would be good, and you are correct - encourage birds of a feather sessions and consider     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAU)

poster sessions. Thanks!     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAV)

[11:06] Peter P. Yim: @[11:05] BethDiGiulian - Thanks, Beth     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAW)

[11:07] Amanda Vizedom: General Note: Laurent Lefort could not make today's session, but provided     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAX)

input via a Google+ post, which can be found here:     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAY)

[11:09] Mike Bennett: Not sure how to address this but it's hard to estimate how Peter manages to     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAA)

motivate people to do things e.g. I wasn't going to even do a hackathon. We need some new mechanism     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAB)

for communicating expectations and encouragement to participants who are generally working on a     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAC)

hundred other things.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAD)

[11:10] Ram D. Sriram: I like Leo's idea of putting together a book volume, with additional web     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAE)

[11:11] Ram D. Sriram: I am logging off.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAG)

[11:14] Leo Obrst: Additional products for the Ontology Summit? E.g., the IAOA SWAO SIG hopes to     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAH)

continue the themes of this Summit beyond the AO article. Perhaps a dedicated issue of a journal     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAI)

with the themes of the summit, i.e., invite everyone to submit papers addressing aspects of the     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAJ)

themes? Perhaps a follow-on book? Why? Because the Ontology Summit involves such a huge amount of     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAK)

input by very many people that it is a shame to not enable the contributions to be     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAL)

refined/elaborated into a larger snapshot.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAM)

[11:15] Mike Bennett: @Leo 11:14 +1 to that idea - will be good to get presenters and others involved     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAN)

to submit short papers building on what they presented, hacked etc.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAO)

[11:20] Andrea Westerinen: @All Since we have previously discussed the time commitments involved in     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAP)

participating in the Summit, how do we reconcile that with writing/reviewing/editing papers?     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAQ)

[11:18] Peter P. Yim: I like ToddSchneider's idea of doing the book as part of the next summit, but also     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAR)

agree with Michael Grüninger that writing a book with a "crowd" is just daunting ... how about a     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAS)

small number of people starts writing the book and get it to a stage that we can engage the Summit     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAT)

community to review/critique/improve/get-buyin on that, to result in the "definitive book on     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAU)

Ontology Engineering" as the deliverable     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAV)

[11:20] Todd Schneider: Peter, could the small crowd be the IAOA SIG?     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAW)

[11:21] Peter P. Yim: sure ... I could imagine an optional "small crowd" to be the size of 1 to 3,     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAX)

though (not a committee) ... but that's for IAOA (or the SIG) to decide, if they were to champion it     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAY)

[11:21] Amanda Vizedom: + For Book idea: a main shortcoming of most instructional materials,     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAZ)

overviews, and tutorials out there is that they are *either* over-fitted to a specific use (without     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAA)

documenting that or how it affects things) *or* they are so high level as to make practical     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAB)

application difficult. Well-focused critical interaction of the sort the Summit can offer is very     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAC)

good for exorcizing those sorts of problems. [I do agree, also, that the project is quite daunting.]     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAD)

[11:32] Christoph Lange: @AmandaVizedom [11:21]: What makes it difficult to write a practical book     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAE)

about ontology engineering in general is the variety of ontology _languages_. I guess we wouldn't     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAF)

want to limit ourselves to, say, OWL. But a proper introduction of a _few_ relevant languages (e.g.,     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAG)

CL, too) is challenging. Also it's a question how much of the logics background to include.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAH)

[11:36] Amanda Vizedom: Christoph Lange [14:32] It is certainly too much to cover all languages. There     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAI)

are editorial decisions to be made. And some will have to be tentatively made ahead of time, to be     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

potentially shredded and re-made but summit folks. But considerable fundamentals can be introduced     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAK)

prior to introduction of any languages, then illustrated in several, for example.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAL)

[11:20] Mike Bennett: Sorry folks I have to drop off now.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAM)

[11:22] Peter P. Yim: Michael Grüninger: === possible topics for Next Year     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAN)

[11:22] from the Co-chairs slide#7: * The Discipline Ontological Engineering ** Best Practices *     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAO)

Retrospective on previous Summits - where are we now?     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAP)

[11:24] Leo Obrst: Thought: given the range of our past Ontology Summit themes, could consider a     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAQ)

chapter of a book on ontological engineering on each theme.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAR)

[11:25] Peter P. Yim: not just the text book, but the "education" that is needed to train enough "good     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAS)

ontologists" for the impending market     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAT)

[11:24] Todd Schneider: Peter, I've found no evidence that IBM is looking for ontologists (as a full     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAU)

[11:25] Peter P. Yim: @Todd: my "IBM looking for ontologists" is only a metaphor     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAW)

[11:26] Peter P. Yim: Michael Grüninger / Leo Obrst: === extending the Communique Endorsement deadline     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAX)

[9:52] Todd Schneider: Should extend communique endorsements until at least the beginning of June.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAY)

[9:52] Amanda Vizedom: Last year's extension of endorsement period was partly intended to allow     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAZ)

endorsements after presentation at SemTech. Do same for Ram's talk?     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

[9:53] Todd Schneider: Amanda, definitely.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAB)

[11:33] Peter P. Yim: fyi Ram's presentation (on OntologySummit2014) will be at ASE Conference on Big     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAC)

Data Science and Computing is May 27~31 (at Stanford, CA)     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

[11:27] Leo Obrst: Extend the date for Communique endorsements? Next steps for planning the future.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAE)

[11:27] Todd Schneider: No objections: Extend to at least 1 June 2014.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAF)

[11:32] Terry Longstreth: Make it two weeks after Ram presents     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAG)

[11:32] [consensus] Communique endorsements now extended to 15-Jun-2014     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAJ)

[11:33] Peter P. Yim: [action] Leo Obrst will make another round of Communique Endorsement solicitations     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAK)

to the suite of relevant community lists that he is subscribed to     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAL)

[11:30] Amanda Vizedom: Suggestion: Not just mailing lists. Post the solicitation for endorsements     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAM)

also to Semantic Web / big data / ontology related groups on LinkedIn, Google+, etc.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAN)

[11:36] Michael Grüninger: [consensus] First meeting for the Organizing Committee of Ontology Summit     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAO)

2015 will be October 2, 2014     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAP)

[11:37] Christoph Lange: Thank you all, and thanks Peter P. Yim once more for running this summit!     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAR)

[11:37] Andrea Westerinen: Yes, thank you for a great summit.     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAS)

[11:37] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:34am PDT --     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAT)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1N2AAAAAAAAAAAAAU)

Resources     (1N3)


For the record ...     (1N3J)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1O)

  • Dial-in:     (1O4D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184# ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1O4D1)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1O4D2)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1O4D2A)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1O4D2B)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1O4D2B1)
        • you may connect to (the skypeID) "joinconference" whether or not it indicates that it is online (i.e. even if it says it is "offline," you should still be able to connect to it.)     (1O4D2B2)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1O4D2C)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1O4D2C1)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1O4D2C2)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/ ... view-only password: "ontolog"     (1O4E)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1O4E1)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1O4E2)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1O4F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1O4F2)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. Digsby or Adium) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) summit_20140515@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1O4F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1O4G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1O4G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1O4G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1O4G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1O4G4)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com with your affiliation, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendees" list below (if you are already a member of the community.)     (1O4I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1O4K)

Attendees     (1P)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1P4)

















































































































































































































































































































































































































This is a cached copy of the requested page, and may not be up to date.

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

(Can't contact the database server: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111) (localhost))


You can try searching via Google in the meantime.
Note that their indexes of our content may be out of date.