From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

ONTOLOG Community Event Planning Session - Thu 2013-06-13     (1)

Session Co-chairs: Dr. Leo Obrst & Mr. PeterYim     (1A)

To be Covered today:     (1B)

  • Dial-in:     (1F8D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1F8D1)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1F8D2)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1F8D2A)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1F8D2B)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1F8D2B1)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1F8D2C)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1F8D2C1)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1F8D2C2)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1F8E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1F8E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1F8E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1F8E3)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1F8F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1F8F2)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20130613@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1F8F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1F8G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1F8G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1F8G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1F8G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1F8G4)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com with your affiliation appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community already.)     (1F8I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1F8K)

Attendees     (1G)

  • Expecting:     (1G2)
    • please add yourself to the list if you are a member of the Ontolog community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with your affiliation.     (1G2A)

Abstract     (1H)

Now that the Ontology Summit is over, we should start planning on how to best leverage the Ontolog Thursday event slots to do something that caters to the interests and desires of this community's membership. Our virtual sessions (and the knowledge we manage to capture out of those events) have always been a key asset/resource of our community.     (1H1)

There are ongoing initiatives, there are things we need to follow-up on, and there are things we've always wanted to do.     (1H2)

The plan is to lay out the options, and have members of the community chime in, and decide what events will be featured, and who will be championing those events. We hope we can have a good cross-section of the community participating at this session, so we can properly gauge the interest of the community members. If you want to influence what gets featured in the upcoming Thursday virtual session slots, please make sure you come join us at this session.     (1H3)

Agenda Ideas     (1H4)

Some of the things that came to mind, include ...     (1H4A)

... send us your ideas too (post above, and identify yourself for follow-up purposes, or email that to the co-chairs so we can include them into the agenda!     (1H4AA)

Agenda     (1I)

ONTOLOG Community Event Planning     (1I1)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1I2)
  • 2. Open discussion-I: Brainstorm on what initiatives, activities, events we should be featuring - ALL (30 min.) ... (refer to process above)     (1I4)
  • 3. Open discussion-II: narrowing down on specific events plans - mini-series, topics, champions, speakers, dates - ALL (30 min.)     (1I5)

Proceedings     (1J)

Please refer to the above     (1J1)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1J2)

see raw transcript here.     (1J2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1J2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1J2C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1J2D)

[8:18] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1J2E)

ONTOLOG Community Event Planning Session - Thu 2013-06-13     (1J2F)

Session Co-chairs: Dr. Leo Obrst & Mr. Peter P. Yim     (1J2G)

To be Covered today: (3TR3)     (1J2H)

  • ONTOLOG Community Event Planning - Opening (co-chairs) (3TR4)     (1J2I)

Logistics:     (1J2T)

  • (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center)     (1J2V)

and morph from "anonymous" to your RealName (in WikiWord format)     (1J2W)

    • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,)     (1J2AA1)

if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it.     (1J2AB)

Proceedings     (1J2AE)

[8:36] Peter P. Yim: == session start ... Leo opens with the slides ...     (1J2AH)

[8:45] Amanda Vizedom: No shortage of ideas!     (1J2AI)

[8:49] Peter P. Yim: == Discussion begins ... see some of the ideas already floated ... under:     (1J2AJ)

[8:52] Peter P. Yim: === Brainstorming now ...     (1J2AL)

[8:49] Steve Ray: How about interleaving a good ol' seminar series, with highly selective criteria     (1J2AM)

for speakers? Some of the really interesting past seminars such as on Siri, or Watson, would be the     (1J2AN)

kind of thing I'm thinking.     (1J2AO)

[8:49] Leo Obrst: I'd like to see a session or sessions on updates about some of the ongoing     (1J2AP)

initiatives like OntoIOp and CommonLogic_V2, which the Ontolog community probably doesn't know much     (1J2AQ)

[8:53] Todd Schneider: Steve, Leo, Yes.     (1J2AS)

[8:57] Peter P. Yim: @SteveRay - indeed! ... that's something we would want to keep doing, specifically     (1J2AT)

under ever-running "Ontolog Invited Speakers" series     (1J2AU)

[8:58] Leo Obrst: IAOA Education Committee has an ongoing ontology textbook/handbook effort, and     (1J2AV)

there may be potential collaboration with efforts like AURA.     (1J2AW)

[9:01] Michael Grüninger: @Leo: we could start this with a special brainstorming session on the     (1J2AX)

coverage of topics that people would like to see in an ontology textbook     (1J2AY)

[8:59] Todd Schneider: What outcomes are expected for today's discussion? ... [ Leo Obrst / Peter P. Yim:     (1J2AZ)

hopefully event plans that covers the planning horizon for the rest of the year, say, until Nov or     (1J2AAA)

Dec-2013 when activities of the next Ontology Summit will start in earnest. ]     (1J2AAB)

[9:01] Henson Graves: I have to check out soon, but hope to be involved in activities     (1J2AAC)

[9:04] Michael Grüninger: what topics do people feel have been under-represented or overlooked by     (1J2AAD)

past Ontolog sessions?     (1J2AAE)

[9:04] Todd Schneider: Michael, reasoning.     (1J2AAF)

[9:05] Amanda Vizedom: I would love to do an "Ontology of ontology evaluation" series...     (1J2AAG)

[9:28] Michael Grüninger: With a big-picture view, we could be looking for opportunities for new     (1J2AAH)

applications of ontologies, or new domains that are looking for ontologies     (1J2AAI)

[9:18] Peter P. Yim: is there a lot of interest in Ontology Vizualization?     (1J2AAJ)

[9:20] Amanda Vizedom: There is an *enormous* amount of interest in visualization and visual-based     (1J2AAK)

creation and editing of ontologies... This was frequently talked about at     (1J2AAL)

[9:22] Amanda Vizedom: E.g., it was one of 4 breakouts in FIBO because the frequent division between     (1J2AAN)

imprecise visual techniques for conceptual/business model development, on the one hand, and     (1J2AAO)

formalization of these models for operational purposes, on the other, is both a bottleneck and     (1J2AAP)

[9:20] Leo Obrst: Harold: does GRAILOG also potentially address diagrammatic reasoning/proof     (1J2AAR)

representations and visualizations?     (1J2AAS)

[9:31] Harold Boley: Leo, Grailog includes Directed Labeled Graphs (DLGs) as a sublanguage, hence can     (1J2AAT)

reuse DLG-based reasoning/proof representations. For n-ary relationships, Grailog's directed     (1J2AAU)

hyperarcs can then be introduced. For subproofs, Grailog's recursive (complex) nodes. These options     (1J2AAV)

are in support of readability.     (1J2AAW)

[9:28] Henson Graves: Given that Ontolog is interesting in achieving practical results that impact     (1J2AAX)

communities such as the engineering and systems communities, there are a number of areas where this     (1J2AAY)

might be possible. (1) collecting evidence where ontologies is being used in engineering, (2)     (1J2AAZ)

ontology standards, particular that can be used in engineering modeling languages, (3) identifying     (1J2AAAA)

relevant research on visualization with ontology, integration of reasoning with ontology use,     (1J2AAAB)

logic-based foundations for ontologies, ..     (1J2AAAC)

[9:31] Henson Graves: I have used a product development ontology as the basis for developing a large     (1J2AAAD)

information management system. I can talk about the ideas used, but cannot talk about the specifics.     (1J2AAAE)

By the way the use of an ontology was a replacement for use of metadata to organize product     (1J2AAAF)

information. Metadata was were we started, but while good, wasn't good enough     (1J2AAAG)

[9:33] anonymous morphed into Simon Spero     (1J2AAAH)

[9:35] anonymous morphed into Pavithra Kenjige     (1J2AAAI)

[9:18] Steve Ray: How about we try to get Richard Cyganiak to revisit his Linked Open Data diagram     (1J2AAAJ)

and explore if an ongoing map of SPARQL end-points and other LOD sources could be maintained? I have     (1J2AAAK)

always been disappointed that the latest version froze at September 2011.     (1J2AAAL)

[9:26] Amanda Vizedom: I can speak to the LOC (Library of Congress) issue     (1J2AAAM)

[9:33] Amanda Vizedom: Yes, LinkedOpenData (LOD), and LOD-* (e.g., LOD-LAM, where "LAM" = Libraries,     (1J2AAAN)

Archives, and Museums) specialized groups are abundant and very busy     (1J2AAAO)

[9:39] Leo Obrst: At least some of the LD/LOD folks focus just on the graph structure, and so may be     (1J2AAAP)

re-inventing "semantic networks", i.e., an older style of knowledge representation, prior to the     (1J2AAAQ)

rise of ontologies.     (1J2AAAR)

[9:41] Henson Graves: using graphs, doesn't have to be reinvinting semantic networks     (1J2AAAS)

[9:42] Harold Boley: Graphs can be seen as a 2D *syntax* for logics, e.g. Description Logic and Horn     (1J2AAAT)

[9:45] Leo Obrst: No, most complex representations (such as logics) have an underlying graph     (1J2AAAV)

structure. So OWL and CL, etc., have graph representations. However, the LOD folks and some of these     (1J2AAAW)

"knowledge graphs"" are just like semantic networks, i.e., named nodes and edges without a supporting     (1J2AAAX)

ontology defining them. So pre-logical.     (1J2AAAY)

[9:48] Simon Spero: @Leo: things don't seem to be quite as bad as the pre-Woods forest     (1J2AAAZ)

... less everything is a isa     (1J2AAAAA)

[9:47] Amanda Vizedom: Indeed. What was striking about the SemTechBiz talks     (1J2AAAAB)

was that most of them weren't using ""knowledge graphs"" in that pre-semantic way. My feeling is that     (1J2AAAAC)

the acknowledged desires for some supporting ontology comes from the fact that they seem very     (1J2AAAAD)

focused on interoperability.     (1J2AAAAE)

[10:00] Harold Boley: Leo, yes, we have seen graphs used for logics on many levels: from the     (1J2AAAAF)

domain-expert syntax level to the model-theoretic semantics level to the system-implementation     (1J2AAAAG)

pragmatics level. We could try to get LOD folks interested in logics by showing that all of these     (1J2AAAAH)

levels are dealt with formally in logic.     (1J2AAAAI)

[9:47] Peter P. Yim: == Let's doing the planning, assignment of champions & scheduling ...     (1J2AAAAJ)

[9:47] Peter P. Yim: Harold: note possible conflicts with AAAI Seattle - Jul 14~18, 2013     (1J2AAAAK)

[9:49] (considering the possibility of taking a summer break and not staging any events in Aug-2013)     (1J2AAAAM)

Michael Grüninger initiated a vote - please click the Vote button to cast your ballot: Do we want to     (1J2AAAAN)

have any Ontolog sessions in August? (1) Yes (2) No This is a single choice vote.     (1J2AAAAO)

[9:49] Harold Boley voted for: No     (1J2AAAAP)

[9:49] Todd Schneider voted for: No     (1J2AAAAQ)

[9:49] Steve Ray voted for: No     (1J2AAAAR)

[9:50] Peter P. Yim voted for: Yes     (1J2AAAAU)

[9:50] Leo Obrst voted for: No     (1J2AAAAV)

[9:51] Michael Grüninger ended the vote - results: Do we want to have any Ontolog sessions in August?     (1J2AAAAW)

Tally Choice     (1J2AAAAX)

[9:52] Peter P. Yim: The consensus is: there will be no Ontolog Events in August-2013     (1J2AAAAAB)

[9:53] Peter P. Yim: I'm expecting two upcoming invited speaker sessions imminently - Benjamin Grosof on     (1J2AAAAAC)

"RULELOG" and Vinay Chaudhri on "AURA" and - these two events are slated for the next two Thursdays     (1J2AAAAAD)

slots ... [confirmed subsequently: respectively, on Jun-20 (RuleLog) & Jun-27 (Aura)]     (1J2AAAAAE)

[9:55] Michael Grüninger: [reserving] October 3: Brainstorming for an Ontology textbook (Ontolog-IAOA     (1J2AAAAAF)

collaboration)     (1J2AAAAAG)

[9:59] Michael Grüninger: Sorry, but I need to leave now     (1J2AAAAAH)

[10:03] Leo Obrst: Reasoning on ontologies could cover: formalisms and foundational issues     (1J2AAAAAI)

(propositional, predicate, rule reasoning, SAT), and logic programming, rule-based systems,     (1J2AAAAAJ)

DL-reasoners, first-order theorem provers, etc.,     (1J2AAAAAK)

[10:04] Leo Obrst: Folks, I must leave now, but am interested in helping to organize the "ontology reasoning" sessions.     (1J2AAAAAL)

[10:08] Steve Ray: I need to go also. Thanks.     (1J2AAAAAM)

[10:08] Pavithra Kenjige: Peter, could you include Ontology for accessibility as a topic..     (1J2AAAAAN)

( example accessibility to support disability like 508 compliance?)     (1J2AAAAAO)

... [ Peter P. Yim responded: yes, if there are reasonable interest on this topic among     (1J2AAAAAP)

Ontolog members, and members of the "accessibility" community. Could you find out     (1J2AAAAAQ)

the level of interest please, Pavithra.]     (1J2AAAAAR)

[10:08] Peter P. Yim: I want a date in July for "OntologyBasedStandards" ... (possibly more focused on     (1J2AAAAAS)

restarting QUOMOS, etc.)     (1J2AAAAAT)

[10:08] Peter P. Yim: note to ALL: we generally black out Jul-4, Nov (Thanksgiving), and pretty much the     (1J2AAAAAU)

second half of December     (1J2AAAAAV)

[10:07] Amanda Vizedom: Issue: The Open Financial Data Group continues to have a weekly call at noon     (1J2AAAAAW)

on Thursdays.     (1J2AAAAAX)

[10:13] Amanda Vizedom: I can't find duration of the OFDG calls; will check with MikeBennett. I     (1J2AAAAAY)

believe that the group, and the FIBO leads, would also prefer not to have this conflict.     (1J2AAAAAZ)

[10:16] Peter P. Yim: ^LeoObrst / Henson Graves / Harold Boley ( Benjamin Grosof / MikeDean)- maybe we     (1J2AAAAAAA)

should a planning session to plan out that rules / reasoning / ontology-driven applications series     (1J2AAAAAAB)

... possibly Jul-25     (1J2AAAAAAC)

[10:21] Peter P. Yim: that leave either Jul-11 or 18 for the "OntologyBasedStandards" session     (1J2AAAAAAD)

[10:22] Peter P. Yim: Todd Schneider: I will not be able to champion more things the rest of this year     (1J2AAAAAAE)

... will be in a better position to do that in 2014     (1J2AAAAAAF)

[10:22] Peter P. Yim: let's continue to work via the [ontolog-forum] mailing list     (1J2AAAAAAG)

[10:22] Peter P. Yim: ... very productive session; thanks everyone!     (1J2AAAAAAH)

[10:23] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 10:20 am PDT --     (1J2AAAAAAI)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1J2AAAAAAJ)

Additional Resources     (1K)


For the record ...     (1K6)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1L)



This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1L4)