From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Joint DATA.GOV-ONTOLOG "Big Open Data" Session - Thu 2012_05_17     (1)

Session Topic: "Implementing 'Big Open Data' in government through Open Collaboration - case examples and possibilities"     (1A)

Session Co-chair: GeorgeThomas (HHS), JesseWang (SMWcon-Spring2012 / Vulcan) & PeterYim (Ontolog / CIM3) - slides     (1B)

Panelists:     (1C)

  • JeanneHolm, ChrisMusialek and AndrewNicklin will return (after last week's panel) to participate as discussants on the panel today (no briefing)     (1J)

  • Dial-in:     (1K7D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1K7D1)
    • when prompted enter PIN: 141184#     (1K7D2)
    • Skype: joinconference (use the PIN above) ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer)     (1K7D3)
      • for skype users who have trouble with finding the Skype Dial pad ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1K7D3A)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1K7E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1K7E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1K7E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1K7E3)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1K7F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1K7F2)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20120517@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1K7F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1K7G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1K7G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1K7G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1K7G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1K7G4)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1K7I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1K7K)

Attendees     (1L)

Abstract     (1M)

Implementing 'Big Open Data' in government through Open Collaboration - case examples and possibilities     (1M1)

This is the second of two sessions jointly organized by the US federal data.gov initiative and Ontolog; with the support from NYC-open-data, SMWcon-Spring2012, and OOR.     (1M2)

The two sessions on 'Big Open Data' follows quite naturally from a few very exciting recent events, notably:     (1M3)

  • (a) the recent US federal government's thrust toward developing and leveraging 'Big Data'     (1M4)
  • (b) the 3-month long Ontology Summit 2012 series of events that just finished a few weeks ago that was focused around the theme 'Ontology for Big Systems' and     (1M5)
  • (c) New York City's award of their 'Big Apps 3.0' grand prize to NYCfacets (developed by a member of this community) and the City's 'open data' initiative that followed.     (1M6)

During today's session, we will look more closely on the technology and the implementation details that will make 'Big Open Data' work in government open data initiatives, and discuss how open collaborative community efforts can help.     (1M7)

Agenda     (1N)

Implementing 'Big Open Data' in government through Open Collaboration - case examples and possibilities     (1N1)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1N2)

Proceedings     (1O)

Please refer to the above     (1O1)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session    (1O2)

see raw transcript here.     (1O2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1O2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1O2C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1O2D)

[09:21] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1O2E)

Joint DATA.GOV-ONTOLOG "Big Open Data" Session-II - Thu 2012-05-17     (1O2F)

Session Topic: "Implementing 'Big Open Data' in government through Open Collaboration     (1O2G)

- case examples and possibilities"     (1O2H)

Session Co-chairs:     (1O2I)

Panel Briefings:     (1O2M)

  • JoelNatividad (Ontodia) - "NYCFacets: Metadata, Extrametadata & Crowdknowing"     (1O2N)
  • WilSmith (Vulcan) - "Linked Data Integration Framework"     (1O2O)

- "A Linked Data Approach for Integrating Multi-scale Models & Data for Human Health & the Environment"     (1O2S)

  • Jeanne Holm (Data.gov / NASA-JPL), Chris Musialek (Data.gov / GSA) and Andrew Nicklin (New York City)     (1O2U)

from last week's panel will also be returning to join us on the panel as discussants at this session     (1O2V)

Mute control: *7 to un-mute ... *6 to mute     (1O2X)

Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1O2Y)

Proceedings:     (1O2Z)

[09:15] anonymous morphed into George Thomas     (1O2AA)

[09:26] anonymous1 morphed into BernadetteHyland     (1O2AB)

[09:28] anonymous11 morphed into WilSmith     (1O2AC)

[09:29] anonymous2 morphed into Tom Tinsley     (1O2AD)

[09:30] anonymous2 morphed into Line Pouchard     (1O2AE)

[09:30] anonymous2 morphed into GaryBergCross     (1O2AF)

[09:31] anonymous3 morphed into BillNadal     (1O2AG)

[09:31] anonymous3 morphed into Stephen Larson     (1O2AH)

[09:31] anonymous3 morphed into SpyrosKotoulas     (1O2AI)

[09:32] anonymous3 morphed into JakubMoskal     (1O2AJ)

[09:32] anonymous1 morphed into CJR     (1O2AK)

[09:33] anonymous1 morphed into BobPowers     (1O2AL)

[09:34] anonymous morphed into TedThibodeauJr     (1O2AM)

[09:34] anonymous morphed into Lisa Hartigan     (1O2AN)

[09:34] anonymous1 morphed into John Gregory     (1O2AO)

[09:35] Peter P. Yim: -- session started 9:35am PDT --     (1O2AP)

[09:36] anonymous2: How do morph? anonymous 2 - Charlie Engle     (1O2AQ)

[09:37] Amanda Vizedom: Charlie - Hit "Settings" button at top, edit name.     (1O2AR)

[09:38] anonymous2 morphed into Charles Engle     (1O2AS)

[09:38] Charles Engle: Thank you!     (1O2AT)

[09:42] Amanda Vizedom: Charles, one more hint: if you revise name again and make it one word     (1O2AV)

(CharlesEngle), in the transcript it will auto-link to your profile page on the OntologWiki.     (1O2AW)

[09:43] anonymous morphed into Elizabeth Florescu     (1O2AX)

[09:39] Peter P. Yim: == JoelNatividad presenting ...     (1O2AY)

[09:53] Peter P. Yim: == WilSmith presenting ...     (1O2AZ)

[09:54] George Thomas: Big Fan of LDIF!!     (1O2AAA)

[09:55] George Thomas: nice to see many of the LDIF tools in the LOD2 stack :)     (1O2AAB)

[10:05] WilSmith: yea slowly pushing the rock of LDIF adoption up the mountain :)     (1O2AAC)

[10:02] Peter P. Yim: == Stephen Larson presenting ...     (1O2AAD)

[10:04] Simon Spero: (SunSITE set up a collaborative neuroscience environment using PARC's lamba-MOO     (1O2AAE)

back in 1993) This looks better     (1O2AAF)

[10:19] Jesse Wang: LDIF has been used in Neurobase, a semantic wiki to integrate various sources of     (1O2AAG)

neuroscience related data. The wiki is running at     (1O2AAH)

[10:20] Jesse Wang: Recap of Neuro Lex talk: NIF vision: Google for neuroscience databases.NeuroLex     (1O2AAJ)

uses semantic wiki to help integrate, curate and improve data quality (starting in vocabularies).     (1O2AAK)

[10:20] Peter P. Yim: [since Jon Weers is not online yet] we are moving Bernadette's presentation up     (1O2AAL)

[10:20] Peter P. Yim: == BernadetteHyland presenting ...     (1O2AAM)

[10:33] Jack Park: http://callimachusproject.org looks really interesting     (1O2AAN)

[10:36] George Thomas: the 'Health Datapalooza', as US Fed CTO Todd Park likes to say     (1O2AAP)

[11:30] Frank Olken: Bernadette, It is most unfortunate that the Health Data Initiative Forum meeting     (1O2AAQ)

is scheduled on top of SemTech (June 3~7, 2012 - San Francisco).     (1O2AAR)

[10:42] anonymous1 morphed into Ed Dodds     (1O2AAS)

[10:44] Stephen Larson: Great presentation Bernadette! Definitely some areas of synergy between our     (1O2AAT)

[11:01] BernadetteHyland: @StephenLarson, thank and I would really enjoy speaking to you further     (1O2AAV)

about your project experiences.     (1O2AAW)

[11:02] Stephen Larson: @Bernadette -- definitely -- lets touch base after     (1O2AAX)

[10:44] anonymous1 morphed into Bo Newman     (1O2AAZ)

[10:47] Ed Dodds: FYI: Announcing the next Knight News Challenge: Data -     (1O2AAAA)

[11:08] Eric Chan: Ken mentioned about collaboration and social networking ontology ICOM (slide #9,     (1O2AAAE)

OOR), which is defined by OASIS ICOM TC. The committee specification draft     (1O2AAAF)

public review phase. We expect the TC to approve this draft as the Committee Specification of ICOM     (1O2AAAH)

v1 after the public review. Peter and I are nominating Ken to lead the effort for ICOM v2 to     (1O2AAAI)

incorporate social networking model.     (1O2AAAJ)

[11:02] Peter P. Yim: == panel reactions now ...     (1O2AAAK)

[11:02] Line Pouchard: who is speaking please?     (1O2AAAL)

[11:02] BernadetteHyland: That is Jeanne Holm (Data.gov evangelist/NASA)     (1O2AAAM)

[11:03] Peter P. Yim: I notice Jon Weers is on the voice bridge now     (1O2AAAO)

[11:06] Peter P. Yim: we'll try to move over to Jon Weers OpenEI presentation right after this comment     (1O2AAAP)

[11:08] Peter P. Yim: == Jon Weers presenting ...     (1O2AAAQ)

[11:40] Jon Weers: Recaping phone convo: OpenEI is looking to host the second installment of an     (1O2AAAR)

Internation Effort to promote LOD and Open Government initiatives. Will be looking for participants,     (1O2AAAS)

and volunteers for organization. Feel free to contact me if interested.     (1O2AAAT)

[11:23] Peter P. Yim: == open Q&A and discussion now ...     (1O2AAAU)

[11:23] BillNadal: great presentations, thank you! can anyone speak to the need/usage for rules in     (1O2AAAV)

their projects or frameworks; i.e. the use of SWRL or RIF (rule interchange format)?     (1O2AAAW)

[11:29] George Thomas: starting to experiment with RIF impl's like     (1O2AAAX)

http://www.revelytix.com/content/rex - generally more interested in SPARQL centric approaches like     (1O2AAAY)

[11:26] BillNadal: [ ref. various panelists' responses and PeterYim's suggestion to check out     (1O2AAAAA)

ChrisWelty's RIF talk, and MartinOConnor's SWRL presentations on the     (1O2AAAAB)

[11:28] Peter P. Yim: == Does the community want to move things forward, after these two "Big Open Data"     (1O2AAAAD)

sessions? How?     (1O2AAAAE)

[11:28] Bo Newman: Most clearly would like to see this moved forward, only which I was in a position     (1O2AAAAF)

to contribute     (1O2AAAAG)

[11:30] George Thomas: I have a hard stop at 2:30 - want to again say thanks to Peter and the Ontolog     (1O2AAAAH)

Forum co-conveners for putting together a great session today - I'm happy to support any     (1O2AAAAI)

collaboration going forward - please see my bio page if anyone wants to follow up with me     (1O2AAAAJ)

[11:30] Mike Dean: I have to drop off for another telecon. Good session!     (1O2AAAAK)

[11:31] Leo Obrst: Thanks, all!     (1O2AAAAL)

[11:31] BernadetteHyland: I suggested that future discussions around Big Data, Open Government Data     (1O2AAAAM)

expressed as Linked Data, etc include sub-domains who can help guide use cases for the application     (1O2AAAAN)

of semantic technologies.     (1O2AAAAO)

[11:31] Ed Dodds: Articles in the news recently articles related to Google's work: "Introducing the     (1O2AAAAP)

Knowledge Graph: things, not strings"     (1O2AAAAQ)

[11:31] George Thomas: Things not Strings! :)     (1O2AAAAS)

[11:31] Jesse Wang: I have a 11:30 meeting, got to go, thank you all for all the great presentations     (1O2AAAAT)

and discussion!     (1O2AAAAU)

[11:32] Peter P. Yim: @JesseWang - thank you for organizing this     (1O2AAAAV)

[11:31] Jack Park: great talks! Bye     (1O2AAAAW)

[11:32] BernadetteHyland: This was a great forum and I learned some new things, thank you Peter,     (1O2AAAAX)

George, Jesse et all for coordinating this event & inviting the panel of speakers. Much appreciated!     (1O2AAAAY)

[11:32] anonymous1 morphed into Jon Weers     (1O2AAAAZ)

[11:32] BillNadal: Thanks George, great links     (1O2AAAAAA)

[11:34] Bo Newman: I would be interested in hearing from those working in the area of     (1O2AAAAAB)

multi-perpspective ontologies and the automated identification of a person or organizationals     (1O2AAAAAC)

operational ontologies. bo.newman[at]km-fourm.org     (1O2AAAAAD)

[11:36] Peter P. Yim: @BernadetteHyland - speaking on the phone now, is Ravi Sharma     (1O2AAAAAE)

[11:35] Ed Dodds: [ref. RaviSharma's verbal remarks] Frame the discussion differently: not "return     (1O2AAAAAF)

on investment" but "return on innovation"     (1O2AAAAAG)

[11:39] Ed Dodds: Reid Hoffman could give numbers re: some of LinkedIn's data     (1O2AAAAAH)

[11:39] BernadetteHyland: @EdDodds, thanks, I'll reach out to Reid. Thank you     (1O2AAAAAI)

[11:40] Ed Dodds: http://crisismappers.net/ and maybe the ushahidi communties could talk about     (1O2AAAAAJ)

disasters mapping, etc.     (1O2AAAAAK)

[11:40] Jon Weers: Recaping phone convo: OpenEI is looking to host the second installment of an     (1O2AAAAAL)

Internation Effort to promote LOD and Open Government initiatives. Will be looking for participants,     (1O2AAAAAM)

and volunteers for organization. Feel free to contact me if interested.     (1O2AAAAAN)

[11:40] Stephen Larson: Thanks for organizing a great session. Honored to be a part of it!     (1O2AAAAAO)

[11:41] Jon Weers: Thank you everyone! My apologies for my late arrival.     (1O2AAAAAP)

[11:42] BernadetteHyland: I was hoping Jeanne Holm would announce the upcoming International Open     (1O2AAAAAQ)

Government Data Conference at the World Bank July 10-12, 2012. Since she must have had to drop off,     (1O2AAAAAR)

I forward this info FYR - They are accepting proposals for sessions and speakers now:     (1O2AAAAAS)

[11:42] Peter P. Yim: Great session ... HUGE THANK YOU to all the presenters; and thanks, everyone, for     (1O2AAAAAU)

the participation!     (1O2AAAAAV)

[11:42] BernadetteHyland: Thank you!     (1O2AAAAAW)

[11:45] Peter P. Yim: @Bernadette - Thank YOU for the great talk; and, of course the leadership in     (1O2AAAAAX)

moving things forward!     (1O2AAAAAY)

[11:41] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:41am PDT --     (1O2AAAAAZ)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1O2AAAAAAA)

... More Questions     (1O3)

Audio Recording of this Session     (1P)

  • To download the [ recording of the session], click [ here]     (1P1)
    • the playback of the audio files require the proper setup, and an MP3 compatible player on your computer.     (1P1A)
  • Conference Date and Time: 17-May-2012 9:35am~11.41am PDT     (1P2)
  • Duration of Recording: 1 Hour 57.5 Minutes     (1P3)
  • Recording File Size: 13.5 MB (in mp3 format)     (1P4)
  • suggestions:     (1P5)
    • its best that you listen to the session while having the respective presentations opened in front of you. You'll be prompted to advance slides by the speaker.     (1P5A)
    • Take a look, also, at the rich body of knowledge that this community has built together, over the years, by going through the archives of noteworthy past Ontolog events. (References on how to subscribe to our podcast can also be found there.)     (1P5B)

Additional Resources     (1Q)

  • Last week's session - "Fostering 'Big Open Data' in government through Open Collaboration" - ConferenceCall_2012_05_10     (1Q9)

For the record ...     (1Q10)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1R)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1R4)