From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OntologySummit2009 Panel Session - "Toward Ontology-based Standards" - Thu 26-Mar-2009     (1)

Subject: Toward Ontology-based Standards - A Synthesis     (1A)

Session Chair: Dr. SteveRay (ISO 10303 STEP; ISO 18629 PSL) - Openning - [ slides ]     (1A1)

Confirmed Panelists:     (1A2)

  • Mr. HowardMason (Chair, ISO TC184/SC4, BAE Systems plc, UK) - "Summary of our Standards Community Panel Session" - [ slides ]     (1A3)
  • Professor MichaelGruninger (University of Toronto, ISO 18629 PSL) - "Summary of our Ontology Community Panel Session" - [ slides ]     (1A4)
  • Mr. DavidConnelly (CEO, Open Applications Group, Inc. (OAGi)) - "Improving OAGIS with Ontologies" - [ slides ]     (1A5)
  • Dr. KatherineGoodier (OpenOntologyRepository Initiative) - "Introducing the Open Ontology Repository (OOR) Use Cases Forum" - [ slides ]     (1A6)
  • Mr. DavidLeal (CAESAR Systems Limited) - "URI for quantities, units and scales" - [ slides ]     (1A7)
  • Mr. NicolasFigay (EADS) - "STEP APs Formalization Suggestions" - [ slides ]     (1A8)

Archives     (1A9)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1A10E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1A10E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1A10E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides above] and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1A10E3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1A10F)
    • (Unless the conference host has already muted everyone) Please mute your phone, by pressing "*2" on your phone keypad, when a presentation is in progress. To un-mute, press "*3"     (1A10F1)
    • You can type in your questions or comments through the browser based chat session by:     (1A10F2)
      • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field). You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1A10F3A)
    • (when everyone is muted) If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please "raise your hand (virtually)" by click on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the speaker or the session moderator (again, press "*3" on your phone to unmute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*2" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1A10F4)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20090326@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1A10F5)
  • For those who cannot join us, or who have further questions or remarks on the topic, please post them to the [ ontolog-summit ] listserv so that everyone in the community can benefit from the discourse.     (1A10G)
  • Please note that this session will be recorded, and the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1A10K)

Attendees     (1B)

Agenda Ideas     (1B5)

Resources     (1B6)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1C)

Proceedings     (1D)

Q & A and Open Discussion     (1E)

===IM Chat Transcript captured during the session=== ... (lightly edited for clarity)     (1E2)

Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the OntologySummit2009 Panel Session - "Toward Ontology-based Standards" - Thu 26-Mar-2009     (1E3)

Subject: Toward Ontology-based Standards - A Synthesis (1VOG)     (1E4)

Session Chair: Dr. Steve Ray (ISO 10303 STEP; ISO 18629 PSL) - Openning     (1E5)

Confirmed Panelists: (1VCD)     (1E6)

  • Mr. Howard Mason (Chair, ISO TC184/SC4, BAE Systems plc, UK) - "Summary of our Standards Community Panel Session"     (1E7)

anonymous morphed into YildirayKabak     (1E16)

YildirayKabak: Hi Peter, this is Yildiray Kabak. I'm assistant of Prof. Asuman Dogac     (1E17)

anonymous morphed into Michelle Raymond     (1E18)

anonymous1 morphed into Kurt Conrad     (1E19)

anonymous morphed into Katherine Goodier     (1E20)

k goodier morphed into Katherine Goodier     (1E21)

laurent morphed into laurent_oasis -> Laurent Liscia     (1E22)

Nicolas Figay: Re engineer existing standards is a good idea, as it appears from analysis and mapping exercise     (1E23)

with ontology language that numerous ambiguities exist. Such exercise was done on AP224 and AP203 by EADS     (1E24)

Joel Bender: EADS = European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company?     (1E25)

Nicolas Figay: Good acronym for EADS     (1E26)

Mike Bennett: Another good example is the various standards in the financial space - MDDL, FIX, ISO 20022, FpML, XBRL etc.     (1E27)

Nicolas Figay: What about replacing "integration of standards" by "federation of standards"?     (1E28)

anonymous morphed into YildirayKabak     (1E29)

Joel Bender: integration and federation mean different things to IT folks.     (1E30)

FrankChum: Energistics for Oil and Gas Industry standards     (1E31)

Nicolas Figay: Integration and Federation is also different for system engineers - or for enterprise collaboration     (1E32)

Nicolas Figay: Federation was here used for agregation of knowledge trunks formalized with heterogeneous language, at posteriori     (1E33)

Steve Ray: David - we lost your voice.     (1E34)

FrankChum: May need to call back in     (1E35)

Steve Ray: OK. In the interests of time, I asked Katherine to talk about OOR, then I'll let you continue your talk.     (1E36)

David Connelly: I am back in now     (1E37)

FrankChum: The Society of Petroleum Engineers is starting an Open Oilfield Ontology Repository.     (1E38)

Nicolas Figay: Is this repository related to Reference Data Libraries POSC CAESAR?     (1E39)

FrankChum: Not particularly. The POSC CAESAR RDL is related to ISO 15926.     (1E40)

FrankChum: The SPE initiative is inviting O&G companies and industry standards bodies to submit oilfield related ontologies to the repository.     (1E41)

Laurent Liscia: What I'm gathering from these very educational presentations like a good bridge between ontologies and standards     (1E42)

are: the ability to use ontology technology to validate the consistency of standards -beyond test cases and assertions,     (1E43)

this might to a new kind of formal validation system.     (1E44)

Nicolas Figay: Yes - it can be imagine with ontology language base on some logic     (1E45)

Laurent Liscia: I'm very intrigued with Open Oilfield     (1E46)

Laurent Liscia: Frank, we are creating at OASIS a member section called OASIS Blue     (1E47)

Laurent Liscia: Which is all about energy and sustainability     (1E48)

FrankChum: Laurent, good to know that. I'll look into it.     (1E49)

Laurent Liscia: The Member Section is forming and we definitely need ontology experts to make some of those future standards work.     (1E51)

Laurent Liscia: We also have the Conservation Commons on Board.     (1E52)

Laurent Liscia: Is there a link for Open OIlfield?     (1E53)

FrankChum: Maybe SPE initiative can join forces with what OASIS Blue     (1E54)

YildirayKabak: In OASIS SET TC we represented OAGIS Components and Fields through OWL.     (1E56)

We also represented UBL and GS1 BIEs through OWL. With these ontologies and with the help of description logic reasoners     (1E57)

and rule engines, we can find the relations among the semantically equivalent components, automatically.     (1E58)

Howard Mason: You probably need to look at the Open O&M consortium and MIMOSA who are also active in operation of     (1E59)

oil and gas plants through ISO TC 184/SC 5 (not SC 4)     (1E60)

David Connelly: Wow, that is interesting     (1E61)

David Connelly: maybe we should connect     (1E62)

FrankChum: Yes. Refineries are connected to MIMOSA.     (1E63)

Mike Bennett: Good point about equations and MathML. There are also equations in financial securities but somewhat different to engineering equations.     (1E64)

FrankChum: Upper ontology for financial securities?     (1E65)

YildirayKabak: Hi David, I will send you more details about our work tommorrow.     (1E66)

Mike Bennett: Indeed. For financial securities I have had to create temporary upper ontology stuff for math, geog,     (1E67)

business, accounting, risk etc. all of which I would hope to find a more stable upper ontology to draw on.     (1E68)

YildirayKabak: Ok. Thank you.     (1E70)

Howard Mason: You also need to note that the basic business transactions covering finance, order/invoice/pay, shipping are ALL becoming based on     (1E71)

the ebXML Core Components - OASIS, SWIFT and OAGi are all involved alongside industry and regional initiatives     (1E72)

FrankChum: Using upper ontologies can be a challenge. Good best practices are needed to be shared.     (1E73)

Mike Bennett: @ Howard - agreed.     (1E74)

Laurent Liscia: I resonate with Howard. Then again I would note that Nicolas has uttered one word (or rather a phrase): intelligent agent,     (1E75)

that I think we are dancing around a bit. Is machine intelligence a can of worms?     (1E76)

Laurent Liscia: Let me qualify: "reasoning engine" is probably less contentious - thank you Nicolas.     (1E77)

Nicolas Figay: Laurent is true, it is more reasoning engine. But some were also calling it intelligent agents - even if not appropriate.     (1E78)

FrankChum: Semantic is the key for machine intelligence     (1E79)

Michelle Raymond: The agent's intelligence is not of issue. Focus should be on: 1) identification of 'input' available to the agent/engine     (1E80)

and 'output' from the agent/engine, 2) the formal representation of the structure and content for 'input' and 'output'     (1E81)

and 3) the place of the agent/engine in the "world".     (1E82)

Peter P. Yim: I am glad David Connelly brought up UN/CEFACT UCM in his presentation ... Scott Hinkelman (Acting Vice-chair of UN/CEFACT TMG     (1E83)

and Chair for their Unified Context Methodology (UCM) Project) was presenting at the OASIS SET TC just yesterday.     (1E84)

While "context" is, indeed, not a low-hanging fruit in what we are trying to do here, we should definitely try to start a dialog     (1E85)

with their working group in earnest.     (1E86)

... (I did suggest that to Scott, but maybe David could be our liaison, if you are already involved in that work)     (1E87)

David Connelly: Peter, I am on that UCM Working Group with Scott, and would be glad to be a liaison     (1E88)

Peter P. Yim: great! Thanks, David     (1E89)

Peter P. Yim: Just to provide the url to the OOR work that Michael Grüninger and Katherine Goodier brought up earlier     (1E90)

Peter P. Yim: what's relevant is that the first public sandbox instance of the OOR is now online - see: http://oor-01.cim3.net/     (1E92)

Peter P. Yim: (further, re the OOR sandbox) if the eventuality is a federated repository of standards that are persistently     (1E93)

available (on the web, probably) ... this could be one of the sandboxes that we can play around with those ideas     (1E94)

... the OOR team will be maintaining at least a sandbox instance and a production instance of the OOR ... and is     (1E95)

hoping to federate with any other organizations that are planning to host ontology repositories     (1E96)

Nicolas Figay: The link of the experimental semantic repository, with extended AP as OWL resources: http://www.plm-interop.net/web/plminterop/semanticRepository     (1E97)

anonymous morphed into RaphaelBarbau     (1E98)

Stuart Turner: The licensing comment is an extremely important one and although "open source" is gaining traction, it applies     (1E99)

to source code, not content. Encouraging use of open content licensure for creative works, including models,     (1E100)

ontologies, documentation is so important (e.g. Creative Commons, Non-Commerical, Attribution, Share-Alike Unported).     (1E101)

Fortunately, recent moves by NIH, and MIT and even PloS to not only encourage, but require this for academic research     (1E102)

and publication is encouraging.     (1E103)

Steve Ray: Thanks for attending.     (1E104)

Michelle Raymond: My desire is to see standards represented in formats that are machine interpretable and formats that facilitate human understanding.     (1E105)

Laurent Liscia: Terribly sorry, I have to drop off the call ... Urgent call from OASIS staff ...     (1E106)

FrankChum: Is the IEEE UOM upper ontology the same way?     (1E109)

Peter P. Yim: @ FrankChum - quite a few of the IEEE SUO players are involved     (1E110)

- the OOR scope covers *not only* upper ontologies, but also domain ontologies - see some earlier thougths in regard to     (1E111)

moving "Toward An Open Ontology Repository" at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2008     (1E112)

FrankChum: @Peter Thanks!     (1E113)

David Leal: Some work on the use of terms such as "should" in engineering has been done in Gellish - http://sourceforge.net/projects/gellish     (1E114)

Howard Mason: While ISO seems to be fairly flexible in looking at new business models, the national standards bodies     (1E115)

- ANSI, BSI, AFNOR, DIN are still wedded to publishing paper. So even the new standards as databases approach     (1E116)

offers different levels of access, with different models. So definitions may be freely available,     (1E117)

but other information may be subject to payment. We need to ensure national bodies respond to the opportunity     (1E118)

Mike Bennett: EDM council semantics repository project, aligns with the ones i mentioned     (1E119)

David Connelly: OAGIS is doing the implementation verification for CCTS 3.0     (1E120)

Peter P. Yim: some work on "ontologizing" the UN/CEFACT CCTS by Ontolog members can be seen at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CctRepresentation     (1E121)

David Connelly: Interesting Peter, have you started to look at CCTS 3.0     (1E122)

David Connelly: btw, Peter, OAGIS uses CCTS 2.01 in the standard now     (1E123)

Peter P. Yim: @DavidConnelly - not quite ... that pilot project has (sort of) ended a long time ago ... with a response     (1E124)

to the request for comments on CCTS v2.01 and suggested a dialog (which we haven't yet had)     (1E125)

FrankChum: Thank you all!     (1E128)

RaphaelBarbau: thank you!     (1E129)

Peter P. Yim: great session ... thank you!     (1E130)

David Leal: Very interesting, thank you.     (1E131)

Mike Bennett: To clarify on EDM Council, we took the existing XML and UML standards ISO 20022/ISO19312, MDDL, etc. as a start point     (1E132)

to try and reverse engineer into some representation of semantics. We use a UML based OWL model (with some     (1E133)

additional extensions) to provide somerhing for business experts to validate. We are talking closely     (1E134)

with the above mentioned existing standards folks to try to reverse engineer rather than reinvent.     (1E135)

This is all mid-way through happening now.     (1E136)

-- end of transcript --     (1E137)

Audio Recording of this Session     (1F)


For the record ...     (1F6)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1G)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1G4)