From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

ONTOLOG BoardOfTrustees Meeting (n.05) - Thu 2014.09.11     (1)

Date and Time:     (2A)

Dial-in:     (2E)

  • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 (long distance cost may apply)     (2F)
  • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ref.)     (2G)
    • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (2G1)
    • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype?     (2G2)
      • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (2G2A)
    • Can't find Skype Dial pad?     (2G3)
      • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (2G3A)
      • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. (ref.)     (2G3B)
  • To un-mute, press "*7" To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (2H)

  • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (2J)
  • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (2K)
  • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog-bot_20140911@soaphub.org Handy for mobile devices!     (2L)

Attendees     (3)

Agenda     (4)

The main focus of this meeting will be: Transition status and Future sessions planning.     (4A)

  • Identify Scribe for this meeting (who will also be Chair for next BoT meeting)     (4B)
  • Roll call; review and adopt agenda     (4C)
  • Infrastructure Status Report     (4D)
  • Future Sessions planning, in particular, the Ontology-based Standards miniseries and possible sessions to continue the Rules,Reasoning,LP miniseries     (4E)
    • Follow-up from Summit Post-mortem: First meeting for the Organizing Committee of Ontology Summit 2015 will be October 2, 2014     (4E1)
  • Additional Business:     (4F)
  • Next meeting     (4G)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (5)

[12:25] Room information was updated by: AmandaVizedom1 ONTOLOG Board of Trustees: regular meeting (n.05)     (5A)

1. Dial in with a phone or from skype: http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/w/index.php?title=BoT_Conference_2014_09_11#Conference_Call_Details     (8A)
2. Open chat-workspace in a new browser window: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/ontolog-bot_20140911

[12:31] MichaelGruninger: [11:36] MichaelGruninger: [consensus] First meeting for the Organizing Committee of Ontology Summit 2015 will be October 2, 2014     (5C)

[12:35] KenBaclawski: I would like to talk a little about what is going on at Northeastern University that might be of interest to our community. [12:36] PeterYim: Leo will be scribe today (and will chair the next BoT call)     (5D)

[12:36] LeoObrst: I have not yet heard from my folks about the Ontology, Rules, Reasoning, LP mini-series; will have to ping them again.     (5E)

[12:39] AmandaVizedom1: == Agenda Adopted ==     (5F)

[12:39] LeoObrst: Infrastructure status report discussion.     (5G)

[12:40] AmandaVizedom1: Peter's summary of Infratructure status last time: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-trustee/2014-08/msg00010.html]     (5H)

[12:47] PeterYim: Michael: for use of the conference bridge, the Thu 12:30pm EDT (2-Hrs) is reserved for Ontolog events already ... all other reservations need to be coordinated, for now MichaelGruninger will be the coordinator     (5I)

[12:48] LeoObrst: We will have a schedule of events somewhere (calendar), but without any connections details.     (5J)

[12:51] AmandaVizedom1: Mailing lists will continue to be hosted as-is. These are low-maintenance, and it is anticipated that at some point the mailing lists will be replaced by newer technologies.     (5K)

[12:51] PeterYim: [action] Michael will set up a IAOA-Ontolog event calendar     (5L)

[12:56] AmandaVizedom1: Discussion of routine, important documentation tasks that need coverage for future sessions. Ref page created by KenBaclawski...     (5M)

[12:56] MikeBennett: Is the documentation on the process for sorting out all the chat,archive and other record fromasession, posted on a handy wiki somewhere?     (5N)

[12:56] MikeBennett: So that when someone is the chair of an upcoming session we just point them to it     (5O)

[12:57] KenBaclawski: The procedure page is http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/Procedures     (5P)

[12:57] MikeBennett: Chair of a given session is given responsibility to fully document it, and would delegate as needed     (5Q)

[12:59] AmandaVizedom1: I suggest that we practice these procedures for our BoT calls. Chairs need to make sure roles are covered.     (5R)

[12:59] MikeBennett: Ken always recordsasession if he is there but for this session the chair did not know that - does the procedure reflect this?Do future chairs need to confirmwith Ken that he will be there and be recording?     (5S)

[13:00] AmandaVizedom1: Noted: I did not make arrangements for audio recording of today's meeting, but KenBaclawski is recording it.     (5T)

[13:00] PeterYim: [action] Ken will upload (to the webdav server) the raw recording of today's call, as well as earlier session which he had recorded (and hasn't shared at)     (5V)

[13:04] AmandaVizedom1: We should each be referring to the procedure page each time we Chair a session.     (5W)

[13:07] AmandaVizedom1: Any of us should update that page ourselves if procedures changes or we spot places where the info can be filled in.     (5X)

[13:09] PeterYim: as a matter of formality, the Ontolog-BoT confirms that the following community are welcome to use the OntologPSMW as part of their community collaborative workspace     (5Y)

[13:10] PeterYim: that include: IAOA, SOCoP, OOR, CLv2 ... and all currently existing communities that host their work on the OntologWiki     (5Z)

[13:12] LeoObrst: Motion by Mike Dean, seconded by Leo, passes unanimously.     (5AA)

[13:12] AmandaVizedom1: == Discussion of Future Sessions ==     (5AB)

[13:14] PeterYim: Thu 2014_10_02 - Brainstorm session on theme-topics for OntologySummit2015 - Chair: MichaelGruninger     (5AC)

[13:19] AmandaVizedom1: A small group needs to be identified to take charge of the OntologySummit2015 planning...     (5AD)

[13:20] MikeBennett: Board for ontology Summit - generally head of each organization.Thi BoT has no Head so we would elect to send another person who is not one of the above,to represent Ontolog on that board     (5AE)

[13:20] MikeBennett: (is that right?)     (5AF)

[13:20] AmandaVizedom1: This group should include representatives of the 6 sponsoring organizations, plus original summit conveners.     (5AG)

[13:20] MikeBennett: This BoT wold appoint another person to represent Ontology     (5AH)

[13:24] AmandaVizedom1: Appointment to be taken off-line. Thread to be started on ontolog-trustee by MichaelGruninger.     (5AI)

[13:27] AmandaVizedom1: Ontology-basedStandards S5 working on October date, MichaelGruninger Organizing.     (5AJ)

[13:28] PeterYim: re [10:20] MikeBennett, further - to be exact, Co-organizer Board for OntologySummit will be head of the 6 co-organizers (Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA, NCO_NITRD), plus the original conveners (LeoObrst, PatCassidy*, PeterYim*, SteveRay*) ... [* = might possibly not participate]     (5AK)

[13:29] AmandaVizedom1: Leo has gotten no response from RRLP participants.     (5AL)

[13:32] LeoObrst: Leo will send new message to Benjamin Grosof, Pascal Hitzler, Krzysztof Janowicz about the RRLP mini-series.     (5AM)

[13:34] KenBaclawski: There does not seem to be any close connection among artificial intelligent systems, intelligent systems and cognitive systems.     (5AN)

[13:38] PeterYim: Thu 2014_11_06 - session on "What is Cognitive Computing?" - Co-chair: AmandaVizedom & _tbd_     (5AO)

[13:38] AmandaVizedom1: I will take up task of investigating possibilities and planning for a Cognitive Computing-focused session.     (5AP)

[13:40] AmandaVizedom1: My preference is to target a November session, without specifying date *yet*.     (5AQ)

[13:41] PeterYim: re. [10:38] PeterYim: Thu 2014_11_06 <-- ignore the date for now ... Amanda just want to commit to "some time in November" for now     (5AR)

[13:49] LeoObrst: KenBaclawski says that Northeastern is looking for provost, many professors in data science, phd students.     (5AS)

[13:49] LeoObrst: Contact Ken privately for more info.     (5AT)

[13:51] LeoObrst: How do we get more BoT members to participate?     (5AU)

[13:53] PeterYim: I will start traveling next week, therefore, this is likely the last BoT meeting I will be attending on a "regular" basis. Thanks & Good Luck, everyone!     (5AV)

[13:54] MikeBennett: Thanks for everything Peter - and for ensuring such a smooth transition!     (5AX)

[13:55] KenBaclawski: The College of Computer and Information Science at Northeastern University is seeking an associate dean of the undergraduate program, professors (at every level) with Data Science as the emphasis area, as well as PhD and MS students.     (5AZ)

[13:56] KenBaclawski: The provost search website is http://www.northeastern.edu/provost-search     (5AAA)

[13:57] PeterYim: re. active participation of BoT members ... note that Ontolog procedures "defaults" to OASIS process if nothing is specified ... and in OASIS, they have fairly stringent requirement for active participation (like losing "voting rights" if a person misses two meetings in a role) - see: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid20 ... in the absence of [ontolog] community established process, our process will default to the current OASIS TC Process - see: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php (ref. Sep-02 terms of reference)     (5AAB)

[14:02] MikeBennett: If we were to default to an OASIS like process we need to be broad in our measurement of "participation" i.e. not simply attendance at BoT meetings since there are several who we regard as actively participating. That works as long as they have communicated their time constraints, seems to be the consensus?     (5AAC)

[14:04] PeterYim: [action] Leo will try to ping BarrySmith, MarkMusen and PatHayes ref. active participation     (5AAD)

[14:05] PeterYim: great meeting!     (5AAE)

[14:05] AmandaVizedom1: Meeting Concluded     (5AAF)

[14:05] PeterYim: -- session ended: 2:05pm EDT --     (5AAG)

Scribe Minutes (distinct from Raw Chat)     (6)

Minutes of ONTOLOG Board of Trustees: regular meeting (n.05) September 11, 2014     (6A)

Session Page: http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/BoT_Conference_2014_09_11 Session Chair: AmandaVizedom Session Scribe: LeoObrst Next BoT Session Chair: LeoObrst Next BoT Session: not scheduled yet     (6B)

1. Agenda:     (6C)

Roll call; review and adopt agenda     (6D)

Infrastructure status report     (6E)

Future sessions planning, in particular, the Ontology-based Standards miniseries and possible sessions to continue the RulesReasoningLP miniseries     (6F)

Additional business     (6G)

Next meeting     (6H)

2. Roll Call: AmandaVizedom, KenBaclawski, LeoObrst, MichaelGruninger, MikeBennett, MikeDean, PeterYim, TillMossakowski     (6I)

Agenda adopted.     (6J)

3. Infrastructure Status Report:     (6K)

Refer to Peter's summary of Infrastructure status last time: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-trustee/2014-08/msg00010.html.     (6L)

Ontolog Conference Bridge and Scheduling of Ontolog Sessions:     (6M)

- Thursdays, 12:30 pm EDT is reserved for all future Ontolog Sessions.     (6N)

- Since IAOA now pays for the conference bridge, all other sessionreservations need to be coordinated, with MichaelGruninger (as point-of-contact for IAOA) currently being the coordinator.     (6O)

- Action: MichaelGruninger will set up an IAOA-Ontolog event calendar, without explicit connection details.     (6P)

- Connection details will be posted for specific session announcements and on the Ontolog wiki.     (6Q)

Mailing Lists:     (6R)

- Mailing lists will continue to be hosted as-is. These are low-maintenance, and it is anticipated that at some point the mailing lists will be replaced by newer technologies.     (6S)

Routine, documentation task descriptions and procedures for future BoT and Ontolog sessions (chat, recording, archiving, etc.):     (6T)

- See the procedures documentation page KenBaclawski created: http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/Procedures.     (6U)

- Chair of a given session is given responsibility to fully document it. The appointed chair could delegate some tasks as needed. Chairs need to make sure all roles are covered. KenBaclawski says he will make audio recordings for every session that he attends (did not commit to do post-processing, though), but chair must confirm, and seek alternative/additional support if necessary.     (6V)

- Action: KenBaclawski will upload to the webdav server the raw recording of today's call, as well as those earlier sessions which he had recorded but not yet uploaded and shared     (6X)

- BoT members should update the procedure page ourselves if procedures change or we spot places where the information can be filled in.     (6Y)

Ontolog Community Efforts and Ontolog Infrastructure:     (6Z)

- The BoT affirms that the Ontolog community efforts are welcome to use the OntologPSMW as part of their community collaborative workspace, including: IAOA, SOCoP, OOR, CLv2 ... and all currently existing communities that host their work on the OntologWiki.     (6AA)

4. Future Sessions planning     (6AB)

OntologySummit2015: Thu 2014_10_02, 12:30 pm EDT: Brainstorm session on theme-topics for OntologySummit2015     (6AC)

- As agreed during the OntologySummit2014 postmortem (on 2014.05.15), a community brainstorming session will take place on Thursday, October 2, to discuss candidate themes and topics. MichaelGruninger will chair the session.     (6AD)

- Shortly after that, we will have a first Co-organizer leadership ("OntologySummit Board") meeting, followed by the assembly and first meeting of the Ontology Summit 2015 Organizing Committee.     (6AE)

- Co-organizer committee for OntologySummit2015 will consist of the heads of the 6 co-organizers (Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA, NCO_NITRD), plus the original conveners (LeoObrst, PatCassidy*, PeterYim*, SteveRay*) ... [* = might possibly not participate], and one additional BoT member.     (6AF)

- Appointment of additional BoT member: to be taken off-line. Action: MichaelGruninger will start thread on ontolog-trustee list.     (6AG)

Ontology-based Standards Mini-series Session 5:     (6AH)

- Some date in October date, to be determined. MichaelGruninger is organizing.     (6AJ)

RulesReasoningLP (Ontology, Rules, Logic Programming for Reasoning and Applications mini-series:     (6AK)

- LeoObrst has received no response from RRLP participants about continuing the mini-series this year.     (6AM)

- Action: LeoObrst will send new message to Benjamin Grosof, Pascal Hitzler, Krzysztof Janowicz, and others about continuing the RRLP mini-series.     (6AN)

Cognitive Computing:     (6AO)

- Action: AmandaVizedom has proposed a session on Cognitive Computing, is seeking a co-chair and panelists, and will target a November session, to be determined.     (6AP)

5. Additional Business     (6AQ)

Northeastern University is seeking provost, professors (at various levels) for Data Science, and PhD students. Contact KenBaclawski directly if interested or seek more information.     (6AR)

How do we get additional BoT members to participate in BoT sessions?     (6AS)

- Action: LeoObrst will contact BarrySmith, MarkMusen, and PatHayes off-line to seek their active participation in BoT.     (6AT)

This is likely the last BoT meeting PeterYim will be attending on a regular basis.     (6AU)

6. Next BoT session: not scheduled yet. Next BoT session chair: LeoObrst.     (6AV)

Resources     (7)

Past Meetings     (8)

For the record ...     (8G)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (9)