Robert J. Rovetto
Robert is a formal ontologist, philosopher, open to work and study opportunities globally. Output includes ontologies, and over 40 written works & presentations since 2011: journal & conference papers, (inter)national standards, national agency manuals, reports, grant proposals, presentations; as well as collaborative projects including open data/science. Focus areas include: terminology; knowledge representation; conceptual modeling; highly abstract concepts; foundational or top-level ontology; development methodology & governance; and ethics of/in ontology & AI. Disciplinary focus areas for ontology include: ontology for aerospace, maritime, and emergency response. Relevant activities are listed below. You can Directly hire for selected services or Purchase products at this webpage.
Projects that need your support (Donate via PayPal or via GoGetFunding)
- Catalog of Definitions of 'Ontology'
- A redefinition of 'ontology' and cognate terms
- (Diagram) The Ontology Landscape in a Broader Context: AI, etc.
- The Ontology Guidebook & Ontology Development Guidelines - a broad and introductory manual on ontology, and an in-progress development method
- Terminology & Semantic Harmonization Workflow / A Generic KOS Workflow
- How to create a top-level ontology
- Pros and Cons of various types of Knowledge organization systems
- Ethical aspects of ontology development and use
- Sample paper
- Sister paper in-progress (pending support, and seeking co-authors). Contact to express interest in co-authoring.
- Sample paper
- My Space ontology project
- Catalog of Space Vocabularies & Knowledge Organization Systems
- Catalog of Spaceflight Terms
- The Ontology of NASA's Science Mission Directorate
Purchase Ontology Products/Resources
- "Introduction to Generic Ontologies" presentation (2018, presented to University of Koblenz)
- "Myths of Ontology Development and Use" (PowerPoint presentation)
- "Ethical Aspects of Ontology Development & Use" (Presentation document)
- "Ontology", PowerPoint presentation at NASA Datanauts 2017 session
- Various presentations on ontology for space (at conferences and events since 2015)
- A survey of biomedical ontologies (Presentation document, modification of a 2012 presentation)
For hire / Open to Opportunities
Willing to relocate internationally. Authorized to work in EU & US, with special interest in Canada.
- Open to regular employment, temp, consulting or contract roles. Open to any level: junior, entry-, mid, apprenticeship.
- Open to educational opportunities as PhD student. Will consider lesser degree.
- Direct hire webpage for ontology consulting
- Searching for formal support for my space ontology project and other projects.
- International experience, bilingual, MBSE, and Agile team experience
Written works (sample)
- ORCID Profile
- GoogleScholar Page
- ResearcherID (old link)
- Sample Presentation: "A generic name for the most generic ontologies" (PPT) at 2022 IAOA SWAO group meeting.
- Buy a copy at this webpage link.
- Description of Some Services (PPT)
- Description of Pay-per Courses (PPT)
Education & Training
- M.A. Philosophy, with applied ontology focus, and courses from multiple departments; The State University of New York.
- B.A. Philosophy, with Minor in Business & Management w/Information Technology focus; University of Maryland.
- Graduate coursework toward M.S. in Space Studies; AMU (incomplete, TBD pending opportunities)
- Training & Expertise in (cv available on request): Maritime operations, water search & rescue. Certified commercial merchant marine.
Service Activities (sample)
- Contributor & committee member of Ontology Summit 2022. Presenter and co-champion/co-organizer of session Aerospace and Maritime Disasters part 1 and part 2.
- Contributing member of OntologForum since approximately 2010.
- Contributing member of Education Technical Committee (See this new webpage), in the International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA)
- Co-organizer of the first Education Series on Applied Ontology.
- Contributing member of Semantic Web & Applied Ontology Special Interest Group in the [https://iaoa.org/ IAOA
- Contributing member of Semantic Technology Committee, and other groups in Earth Science Information Partners (2019-present)
- Contributing member of OntoCommons
- Contributing subject-matter expert national-body member in Information Technology committee of International Organization for Standardization (ISO) (approx. 2017). Contributions to ISO21838.
- Contributed to two foundational/top-level ontologies (YAMATO, and BFO)
- Webmaster work for YAMATO ontology, and for RFM ontology
- Invited manuscript reviewer, Journal of Applied Ontology (2017, 2022)
- Invited manuscript reviewer, European Semantic Web Conference
- Ontology & terminology subject-matter expert in aerospace orgs. (2019-present)
- Emergency response & rescue community service
- Philosophy (general)
- Metaphysics: causality/causation, space & time, laws of nature, misc.
- Ethics & moral philosophy
- various topics in philosophy
- Symbolic logic
- Ontology (formal, philosophical, applied)
- Generic/Foundational ontology & ontologies
- Methodological and ethical aspects of ontology and similar types of system
- MBSE - Model-based systems engineering
- Space: astronautics, astronomy, policy, law, spatio-temporality
- Marine safety, boat operations, search & rescue