Ontolog Forum

Revision as of 07:32, 9 January 2016 by imported>KennethBaclawski (Fix PurpleMediaWiki references)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2011_07_15

This is a regular (monthly) OOR team conference call, please also refer to the proceedings of the last meeting(s) at: OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_06_03 & OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_07_08

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Fri 2011.07.15
  • Start time: 6:00am PDT / 9:00am EDT / 3:00pm CEST / 2:00pm BST / 13:00 UTC (ref. worldclock)
  • Expected Duration: 1.0~1.5 Hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from a US telephone (US): +1-218-844-8060 (domestic long distance cost will apply)
    • When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
    • from Europe, call:
      • Austria 0820-4000-1577
      • Belgium 070-35-9992
      • France 0826-100-280
      • Germany 01805-00-7642
      • Ireland 0818-270-037
      • Italy 848-390-179
      • Spain 0902-886-056
      • Switzerland 0848-560-327
      • UK 0844-581-9148
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
  • RSVP to appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • ...
    • ... if you are coming to the session, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above; or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

(Please insert your agenda ideas below ...)

Agenda & Proceedings

Archives: audio recording of the session [ 1:01:22 ; mp3 ; 7.02MB ]

1. Meeting called to order:

  • Leo Obrst takes the chair and welcome everyone
  • review and adopt agenda
  • Peter P. Yim volunteered to take notes

2. Roll Call:

  • welcome and intro of new member(s) (as needed)

3. Status Review and Discussion:

Key items for review and discussion today

  • Discussion: ... (we only had time to discuss the following important issue at this call, everything else were postponed.)
    • Peter: we don't have the resources and bandwidth to really fork and support a customizedversion of BioPortal while we continue our development efforts
      • we also should put priority into operating a highly available, persistent, "production" ontology repository that is open to all (users, domains, etc.), as that is, I believe, the primary premise of the OOR effort ... enhancements and value added services should be predicated upon our being able to serve that first.
    • Consider two tracks: (a) production track using plain vanila up-to-date BioPortal (with mostly just a logo change), and (b) a parallel development track continuing with what we are doing now
    • Ken / Peter: we should design in "import from BioPortal" to allow a smooth migration in the future
      • Mike: this would allow us to provide some value back to the BioPortal development effort too
    • Ken / Leo: note the linkage and dependencies between BioPortal and Protege
    • Peter / Mike: providing a repository for vocabularies of the LOD community would be a valuable service
    • Mike: valuable to be a registry just in and of itself
    • Tim: we approach OOR more from a user perspective; given limited volunteered resources we have, the proposals above seem reasonable
    • [decision] ALL: we will adopt the two-track plan above; and will discuss further, on implementation issues, at the next OOR-team conference call on 2011.08.05

items below are from the previous meeting(s) and will be updated as we proceed with this meeting.

  • Status and action review: upgrade to OOR-sandbox - or
    • workplan (from previous calls):
      • update codebase to appropriate oor install code
        • customize banner/logo
        • customize IPR statement
        • re-establish categories - ref. MikeDean's input
        • other?
      • installation - ETA of updated OOR (v ? )
    • prepare vm image
      • vm image available for download - ETA
    • Tim Darr offer to help, some from his team of 8~10 people might get involved, most of the necessary skill sets in java programming, linux sysadmin, vmware, etc. are available
    • (from 2011.05.06) ref input from Paul Alexander, BioPortal is now delivered as an "appliance" - in a vm image
      • the NCBO folks uses the VMware platform for their virtual machine
      • we are currently using (at CIM3) Xen virtual machine for the OOR-sandbox
      • Mike Dean: there are utilities that help convert between VMware and Xen vm images
    • Anyhow, we need to install from the code - code from the semwebcentral oor code repository
    • it is suggested that a conf call between us and the Stanford folks (with, say, Tejas Parikh, Ken Baclawski, Mike Dean with Paul Alexander, AlexSkrenchuk, ...) be done ASAP so that we can learn from them they key changes in the recent versions and how the installation is different now [ Ken will arrange ]
  • Category list (based on MikeDean's list):
    • Upper Ontologies
    • Standards (for example, Measurement)
    • Science (for example, Biomedical)
    • Financial
    • Government
    • Cultural (for example, Social Networking, People)
    • Geospatial
    • Commercial
    • Literature
    • Technology
    • Provenance (for example, OMV)
    • Defence
  • Getting us to a stage when members can contribute code ... how, ETA?
    • (discussion 2011.05.06):
      • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all
    • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively
      • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?
    • (discussion 2011.06.03) ...
  • getting the OOR code repository at semwebcentral started (for real!) -
    • OOR_SandBox - (previously
    • OOR code-repository and re-assessing the 'fork' (what does that mean?) [MikeDean, Ken Baclawski, et al.]
    • categories - ref. MikeDean's msg -
    • 2011.02.18: *Important Note* - we will start afresh on the OOR sandbox content (i.e. uploaded ontologies) after the update install - everyone who has uploaded ontologies so far should note
      • those who are "using" the OOR sandbox content now, should note down the ontologies they need, and may need to contact the authors to upload them again if they don't show up. (presumably, those content relating to biomedicine, previously federated from BioPortal, will not be there any more, at least not automatically.) Also, links to ontologies or elements within ontologies established previously will no longer be valid after the content gets re-populated - Ken will make a post about this on [oor-forum]
    • workplan:
      • update codebase to appropriate oor install code
        • The consensus is that we should use a uniform language in each component to make it easier for people to contribute code and add extensions.
        • customize banner/logo
        • customize IPR statement
        • re-establish categories - ref. MikeDean's input
        • other?
      • installation - ETA of updated OOR (v ? )
    • prepare vm image
      • vm image available for download - ETA
    • Tim Darr offer to help, some from his team of 8~10 people might get involved, most of the necessary skill sets in java programming, linux sysadmin, vmware, etc. are available
  • Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... what's still needed, ETA?
    • (discussion 2011.06.03) ...
  • Soliciting content (getting people to upload ontologies)
  • staged events planning
    • Architecture & API - VII workshop - Fri 2011.07.29 ... afterwards?
    • Metadata - IV workshop - to be scheduled - date?
    • Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontology and Standards" mini-series
      • ISO 19763 with Elisa Kendall and Evan Wallace - to be scheduled [MichaelGruninger]
      • ISO NP 17347 "Ontology Integration and Interoperability (OntoIOp)" - to be scheduled [JohnBateman]
      • ... more
    • updates and plans on BioPortal; what does that mean for OOR - date? - [KenBaclawski]
    • OOR Metadta-IV workshop - ? - Chair: Michael Grüninger
    • Fact Guru incorporation & integration?
    • more on SIO ...?
  • new activities planning

4. Member activities updates:

  • Review: members and OOR-related activities
    • OOR-sandbox status
    • code repository status
    • NCBO
    • NEU
    • Raytheon-BBN
    • Bremen
    • UToronto
    • Ryerson
    • Mathet
    • DataONE
    • NeOn (KMi and STL)
    • ONKI

they'd like to see

    • KBSI
    • MMI
    • Use Cases
    • Architecture
    • API
    • Gatekeeping
    • production OOR instance
    • SIO
    • Funding
    • ICOM / DERI

5. Funding progress:

6. Any Other Business:

7. Action items:

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Next Meeting:
    • no meeting next Friday 2011.07.22
    • the next "Architecture & API - VII" workshop (championed by Ken Baclawski & ToddSchneider) is going to be Friday OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_07_29
    • next regular OOR-team meeting will be (first Friday of August) on Fri 2011.08.05 - 6:00am PDT / 9:00am EDT - mainly on the two-track plan implementation
    • Note: earlier resolution: all team members please (if possible) block out Fridays 1.5 Hr
    • ref. our doodle poll (see: ), looks like we can settle in on two new meeting times - a 6:00am PT (14:00 UTC) and an 8:30am PT (16:30 UTC) (or something in between) ...
    • [decision/2011.04.01]we will have an OOR team admin-planning meeting first Friday of every month; and use the other Fridays for workshops to move work forward
  • Call adjourned at: 7:10 am PDT


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.07.15-7:13am PDT

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.