From OntologPSMW

Revision as of 14:16, 14 January 2016 by KennethBaclawski (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OntologySummit Theme: Community Brainstorm Session - Thu 2016-01-14     (1)

Session Chair: MichaelGruninger (IAOA; U of Toronto)     (1A)

Topic: Brainstorm Session on the OntologySummit2016 Theme: Community Input & Planning     (1B)

  • Dial-in:     (1E4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1E4A)
    • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1E4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (1E4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1E4B2)
        • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (1E4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1E4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1E4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1E4B3B)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1E6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1E6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) summit_20151001@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1E6C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1E7)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1E7A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1E7B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1E7C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1E7D)
  • RSVP to gruninger@mie.utoronto.ca with your affiliation appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community already.)     (1E9)
  • This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page.     (1E10)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1E11)

Attendees     (1F)

Abstract     (1G)

The OntologySummit is an annual series of events (first started by Ontolog and NIST in 2006) that involves the ontology community and communities related to each year's theme chosen for the summit. The Ontology Summit program is now co-organized by Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA, NCO_NITRD along with the co-sponsorship of other organizations that are supportive of the Summit goals and objectives.     (1G1)

Ideas and suggestions collected so far are available at: OntologySummit/Suggestions. Members of the community are encouraged to continuously and asynchronously provide further input via this wiki page and via the [ontology-summit] mailing list as well.     (1G2)

See developing details on the next Summit's homepage at: OntologySummit2016     (1G3)

Agenda     (1H)

1. Determine the structure of Ontology Summit 2016 (i.e. Tracks, sessions, Symposium)     (1H1)

2. Decide on preliminary schedule for sessions (in particular, when is the Launch?)     (1H2)

3. Finalize decision on date and location for the Symposium     (1H3)

Proceedings     (1I)

[12:25] MichaelGruninger: Agenda     (1I1)

1. Determine the structure of Ontology Summit 2016 (i.e. Tracks, sessions, Symposium)     (1I2)

2. Decide on preliminary schedule for sessions (in particular, when is the Launch?)     (1I3)

3. Finalize decision on date and location for the Symposium     (1I4)

[12:28] Donna Fritzsche: suggestion: first two meetings be exploratory - what elements are important to a semantic integration framework? 4 speakers each - broad reach - look at a variety of areas     (1I5)

[12:28] Donna Fritzsche: we can schedule other speakers to follow up - with the seed planted that we will be sending them some questions to drive the talks     (1I6)

[12:30] Donna Fritzsche: potential panel speakers: Ed H, Barry Smith, Sowa, Brad Allen, ESCO rep, FIHR rep, others - sorry for informal nature of this post!     (1I7)

[12:32] MichaelGruninger: 3. Finalize decision on date and location for the Symposium     (1I8)

[12:32] Mark Underwood: Sorry for late arrival - conflicting event     (1I9)

[12:32] MichaelGruninger: Ram has said the date for the Symposium will be May 9 and 10 at the NSF location     (1I10)

[12:36] Ram D. Sriram: Steve Ray, Mark Musen/Nigam Shah (Stanford), Lalit Patil (Ford Motor Company) would be additional good speakers for semantic integration.     (1I11)

[12:39] ToddSchneider: George Ball, Raytheon, may have something to add about semantic integration.     (1I12)

[12:41] MichaelGruninger: Strawman Schedule     (1I13)

[12:41] MichaelGruninger: February 4 Launch     (1I14)

February 11 Overview of Semantic Integration     (1I15)

February 18 Track X 1     (1I16)

February 25 Track Y 1     (1I17)

March 3Track Z 1     (1I18)

March 10 Track W 1     (1I19)

March 17 Synthesis I     (1I20)

March 24 Track X 2     (1I21)

March 31 Track Y 2     (1I22)

April 7 Track Z 2     (1I23)

April 14 Synthesis II     (1I24)

April 21 Communique I     (1I25)

April 28 Communique II     (1I26)

May 5 Logistics     (1I27)

May 9,10 Symposium     (1I28)

[12:45] Ram D. Sriram: @Michael: Can you type the domains in Chat?     (1I29)

[12:47] MichaelGruninger: Potential Tracks:     (1I30)

Earth Sciences (Gary Berg-Cross, KenBaclawski)     (1I31)

Biomedical (Donna Fritzsche)     (1I32)

Engineering /Cloud Services (Mark Underwood)     (1I33)

[12:48] Mark Underwood: I am a little dubious that we can herd these cats (i.e., speakers) substantively     (1I35)

[12:49] Mark Underwood: Maybe a guideline of seven bullets / issues to address, and that might be all we can insist / pray for     (1I36)

[12:49] ToddSchneider: Mark, I agree. I think a view of the existing confusion may itself be helpful.     (1I37)

[12:50] Mark Underwood: The speakers may not even participate beyond their own talk     (1I38)

[12:54] MichaelGruninger: Revised schedule     (1I39)

[12:54] MichaelGruninger: February 4 Launch     (1I40)

February 11 Overview of Semantic Integration     (1I41)

February 18 Track X 1     (1I42)

February 25 Track Y 1     (1I43)

March 3Track Z 1     (1I44)

March 10 Track W 1     (1I45)

March 17 Track X 2     (1I46)

March 24 Track Y 2     (1I47)

March 31 Track Z 2     (1I48)

April 7 Track W 2     (1I49)

April 14 Synthesis II     (1I50)

April 21 Communique I     (1I51)

April 28 Communique II     (1I52)

May 5 Logistics     (1I53)

May 9,10 Symposium     (1I54)

[12:55] gary berg-cross: Some dates may not work for the track champoions. FOR EXAMPLE I cannot due March 3     (1I55)

[12:55] Donna Fritzsche: good point gary     (1I56)

[12:56] MatthewWest: In the past track champions have arranged swaps when necessary.     (1I57)

[12:57] MichaelGruninger: @gary berg-cross: I have called the Tracks X,Y,Z,W so that they can be allocated to specific Tracks as necessary and constrained by people's schedules     (1I58)

[12:59] Mark Underwood: Since Michael carries much of the communique draft load, shouldn't u decide?     (1I59)

[13:00] MichaelGruninger: Another proposal     (1I60)

[13:01] Mark Underwood: It's true, but later drafts can incorporate later updates     (1I61)

[13:01] MichaelGruninger: February 4 Launch     (1I62)

February 11 Overview of Semantic Integration     (1I63)

February 18 Track X 1     (1I64)

February 25 Track Y 1     (1I65)

March 3Track Z 1     (1I66)

March 10 Track W 1     (1I67)

March 17 Synthesis II     (1I68)

March 24 Track X 2     (1I69)

March 31 Track Y 2     (1I70)

April 7 Track Z 2     (1I71)

April 14 Track W 2     (1I72)

April 21 Communique I     (1I73)

April 28 Communique II     (1I74)

May 5 Logistics     (1I75)

May 9,10 Symposium     (1I76)

[13:01] MichaelGruninger: MAtthew's proposal     (1I77)

[13:01] MichaelGruninger: February 4 Launch     (1I78)

February 11 Overview of Semantic Integration     (1I79)

February 18 Track X 1     (1I80)

February 25 Track Y 1     (1I81)

March 3Track Z 1     (1I82)

March 10 Track W 1     (1I83)

March 17 Track X 2     (1I84)

March 24 Track Y 2     (1I85)

March 31 Track Z 2     (1I86)

April 7 Track W 2     (1I87)

April 14 Synthesis     (1I88)

April 28 Communique     (1I89)

May 5 Logistics     (1I90)

May 9,10 Symposium     (1I91)

[13:06] Mark Underwood: +1 for early outlines - good workflow goad     (1I92)

[13:07] ToddSchneider: From Duke Ellington: "Do give me time, give me a deadline".     (1I93)

[13:07] Mark Underwood: Having some workplan posted on the web site would hlep     (1I94)

[13:08] MichaelGruninger: Idea: The Communique editors propose an outline early on (e.g. March 17), and the draft becomes a public document which "grows" as the Summit continues     (1I95)

[13:10] MichaelGruninger: Donna is one of the Summit co-chairs     (1I96)

[13:11] MichaelGruninger: Judith is Symposium co-chair     (1I97)

[13:11] TerryLongstreth: You can appoint a Managing Editor to coordinate among the contributors, but keep Chairs in charge of specific topics     (1I98)

[13:12] TerryLongstreth: c/topics/sections     (1I99)

[13:14] MichaelGruninger: Summit chairs are chief editors?     (1I100)

[13:15] TerryLongstreth: right     (1I101)

[13:17] gary berg-cross: I have to go soon. Here is some input on speaker. Confirmed Krzysztof Janowicz at UCSB,,I propose for part of the Overview. Aslo someone, maybe Bob Arko from GeoLink (Pascal is not available at our Thursday times. Likely Ruth Duerr on vocabularies for BCube and semantic mediators/brokers. TRYINg TO GET tim FININ FOR a session, maybe the overview.     (1I102)

[13:18] Donna Fritzsche: gary- do you thinkg K Jan. should be part of the overview and a track ? or is that too much?     (1I103)

[13:19] gary berg-cross: Matt Mayernik at UCAR (mayernik@ucar.edu) is another option doing something like GeoLink.     (1I104)

[13:19] Donna Fritzsche: does someone else want to work on health/biopharm with me?     (1I105)

[13:22] MichaelGruninger: Gary: Earth Science track NOT on March 3     (1I106)

[13:23] Ram D. Sriram: For the speakers, we need to ask them to focus on: Role of Ontologies in Integration, Current Practices, What Works, Problems, What needs to be done     (1I107)

[13:23] Ram D. Sriram: Can you hear me     (1I108)

[13:24] gary berg-cross: Ken and I can confer on the Feb. 1 and 18th dates to see if they work for our session.     (1I109)

[13:25] ToddSchneider: One question or focus that could be asked of the speakers, is how solutions can be implemented in a fashion that meet pragmatic constraints.     (1I110)

[13:25] Mark Underwood: Michael also emailed the chat logs     (1I111)

[13:26] gary berg-cross: Bye all. Will be working on this next week.     (1I112)

[13:26] Donna Fritzsche: bye gary - thanks for your input!     (1I113)

[13:28] MichaelGruninger: Healthcare Track Champions: LeoObrst, RamSriram, DonnaFritzsche     (1I114)

[13:29] MikeBennett: Can anyone co-champion Finance with me?     (1I115)

[13:29] Donna Fritzsche: great ideas!     (1I116)

[13:29] Ram D. Sriram: I am signing off     (1I117)

[13:32] MichaelGruninger: Jan 28: next Organizing Committee to finalize the Agenda for the Launch session     (1I118)

[13:32] ToddSchneider: Mark, I'll help where I can.     (1I119)

Audio Recording     (1I120)