From OntologPSMW

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(In-Session Chat Transcript)
(Fix PurpleMediaWiki references)
 
(4 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 13: Line 13:
  
 
* '''[[RamSriram]]''' (NIST): '''Toward Internet of Everything: Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS)'''
 
* '''[[RamSriram]]''' (NIST): '''Toward Internet of Everything: Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS)'''
** ''Abstract:'' The Internet of Everything (IoE) or Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS) will have significant implications for both the market for advanced computing and communication infrastructure and the future markets ­ for nearly 4.5 billion people -- that net-centric societies will create. I will start my presentation with a brief discussion on the evolution of SNSS.  The development of a trusted, secure, reliable, and interoperable net-centric computing environment will need technologies that can assure a flexible and scalable system allowing the application of diverse and robust privacy requirements, thus enabling the trusted and meaningful growth of net-centric infrastructures for the benefit of all societies. I will discuss the research challenges (in information technology) for achieving the above net-centric computing environment.
+
** ''Abstract:'' The Internet of Everything (IoE) or Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS) will have significant implications for both the market for advanced computing and communication infrastructure and the future markets �� for nearly 4.5 billion people -- that net-centric societies will create. I will start my presentation with a brief discussion on the evolution of SNSS.  The development of a trusted, secure, reliable, and interoperable net-centric computing environment will need technologies that can assure a flexible and scalable system allowing the application of diverse and robust privacy requirements, thus enabling the trusted and meaningful growth of net-centric infrastructures for the benefit of all societies. I will discuss the research challenges (in information technology) for achieving the above net-centric computing environment.
  
 
* '''[[SpencerBreiner]]''' (NIST) and '''[[EswaranSubrahmanian]]''' (Carnegie Mellon University, NIST): '''Category Theory for Modular Design: An IoT Example'''
 
* '''[[SpencerBreiner]]''' (NIST) and '''[[EswaranSubrahmanian]]''' (Carnegie Mellon University, NIST): '''Category Theory for Modular Design: An IoT Example'''
Line 23: Line 23:
 
== Prepared presentation material ==
 
== Prepared presentation material ==
  
Prepared material (slides) from the presenters can be accessed by clicking on each of these links: [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-in-IoT-2-intro--LeoObrst-RamSriram_20150312.pdf Session Intro] ; [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_Toward-Internet-of-Everything_IoT-CPS-SNSS--RamSriram_20150312.pdf  RamSriram] ; [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_Category-Theory-for-Modular-Design_An-IoT-Example--SpencerBreiner-EswaranSubrahmanian_20150312.pdf SpencerBreiner-EswaranSubrahmanian] ; [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_Ontology-Virtualization-For-Smart-Environments--KrzysztofJanowicz_20150312.pdf KrzysztofJanowicz] .
+
Prepared material (slides) from the presenters can be accessed by clicking on each of these links: [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-in-IoT-2-intro--LeoObrst-RamSriram_20150312.pdf Chair Intro] ; [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_Toward-Internet-of-Everything_IoT-CPS-SNSS--RamSriram_20150312.pdf  RamSriram] ; [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_Category-Theory-for-Modular-Design_An-IoT-Example--SpencerBreiner-EswaranSubrahmanian_20150312.pdf SpencerBreiner-EswaranSubrahmanian] ; [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_Ontology-Virtualization-For-Smart-Environments--KrzysztofJanowicz_20150312.pdf KrzysztofJanowicz] .
  
 
== Audio Recording of the Session ==
 
== Audio Recording of the Session ==
... ''(coming)''
+
[http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2015/2015-03-12_OntologySummit2015_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT-2/Track-A_Ontology-Integration-In-IoT_OntologySummit2015_audio_20150312.mp3 audio recording]
  
 
== In-Session Chat Transcript ==
 
== In-Session Chat Transcript ==
[12:22] LeoObrst: OntologySummit2015 Track A Session - Thu 2015-03-12
+
[12:22] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: [[OntologySummit2015|Ontology Summit 2015]] Track A Session - Thu 2015-03-12
 
Ontology Integration in the Internet of Things (IoT) [Track A session-2]
 
Ontology Integration in the Internet of Things (IoT) [Track A session-2]
  
 
Agenda     
 
Agenda     
  
RamSriram (NIST) and LeoObrst (MITRE): Track A Co-Champions: Introduction to the Session     
+
[[RamSriram|Ram D. Sriram]] (NIST) and [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] (MITRE): Track A Co-Champions: Introduction to the Session     
  
RamSriram (NIST): Toward Internet of Everything: Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS)
+
[[RamSriram|Ram D. Sriram]] (NIST): Toward Internet of Everything: Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS)
  
SpencerBreiner (NIST) and EswaranSubrahmanian (Carnegie Mellon University, NIST): Category Theory for Modular Design: An IoT Example     
+
[[SpencerBreiner|Spencer Breiner]] (NIST) and [[EswaranSubrahmanian|Eswaran Subrahmanian]] (Carnegie Mellon University, NIST): Category Theory for Modular Design: An IoT Example     
  
KrzysztofJanowicz (University of California, Santa Barbara): Ontology Virtualization for Smart Environments   
+
[[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]] (University of California, Santa Barbara): Ontology Virtualization for Smart Environments   
  
 
Discussion
 
Discussion
Line 48: Line 48:
 
[12:26] anonymous morphed into Al Jones
 
[12:26] anonymous morphed into Al Jones
  
[12:26] PeterYim: Hello Al ... haven't seen you for while!
+
[12:26] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: Hello Al ... haven't seen you for while!
  
[12:27] LeoObrst: I've logged in as admin on the bridge.
+
[12:27] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: I've logged in as admin on the bridge.
  
[12:28] PeterYim: a better link to the slides: http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ConferenceCall_2015_03_12#Prepared_presentation_material ... (this links to the latest version of the page content)
+
[12:28] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: a better link to the slides: http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ConferenceCall_2015_03_12#Prepared_presentation_material ... (this links to the latest version of the page content)
  
[12:31] RaviSharma: Peter - How are you? the link brings back to the conf. session page, but can we still open the presentation screen, I download the papers and follow the speakers by slide numbers.
+
[12:31] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: Peter - How are you? the link brings back to the conf. session page, but can we still open the presentation screen, I download the papers and follow the speakers by slide numbers.
  
 
[12:34] Padi Sarala: Hello Everybody
 
[12:34] Padi Sarala: Hello Everybody
Line 60: Line 60:
 
[12:34] Mark Underwood: FYI I'm having trouble connecting to Skype
 
[12:34] Mark Underwood: FYI I'm having trouble connecting to Skype
  
[12:34] PeterYim: @RaviSharma - we don't have shared-screen support any more, but downloading the slides and following the speakers' slide number prompts
+
[12:34] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @RaviSharma - we don't have shared-screen support any more, but downloading the slides and following the speakers' slide number prompts
  
[12:35] PeterYim: ... would be the way
+
[12:35] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: ... would be the way
  
[12:42] PeterYim: @[9:34] Mark Underwood - are you in yet; try dialing the phone number too, if skype doesn't work for you (it does for me) - ref. http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ConferenceCall_2015_03_12#Conference_Call_Details
+
[12:42] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @[9:34] Mark Underwood - are you in yet; try dialing the phone number too, if skype doesn't work for you (it does for me) - ref. http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ConferenceCall_2015_03_12#Conference_Call_Details
  
 
[12:43] Mark Underwood: @Peter - Thx, connected after a couple kills   
 
[12:43] Mark Underwood: @Peter - Thx, connected after a couple kills   
[12:43] KrzysztofJanowicz: Is there a VNC Link?
+
[12:43] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: Is there a VNC Link?
  
[12:43] LeoObrst: There is no more VNC link.
+
[12:43] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: There is no more VNC link.
  
[12:43] KrzysztofJanowicz: Thanks.
+
[12:43] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: Thanks.
  
[12:43] PeterYim: @KrzysztofJanowicz - No, no vnc support any more
+
[12:43] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @KrzysztofJanowicz - No, no vnc support any more
  
 
[12:44] Dennis Wisnosky: The slides are not downloading for me.  I could see Leo's slides, not these.
 
[12:44] Dennis Wisnosky: The slides are not downloading for me.  I could see Leo's slides, not these.
  
[12:44] KrzysztofJanowicz: They are large, you may have to wait a few minutes
+
[12:44] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: They are large, you may have to wait a few minutes
  
[12:44] LeoObrst: Slide 13
+
[12:44] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: Slide 13
  
 
[12:50] Dennis Wisnosky: took 10 minutes.
 
[12:50] Dennis Wisnosky: took 10 minutes.
  
[12:55] ToddSchneider: Ram, Where do you see foundational ontologies (e.g., BFO, DOLCE, etc.) coming into play?
+
[12:55] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Ram, Where do you see foundational ontologies (e.g., BFO, DOLCE, etc.) coming into play?
  
 
[12:58] JackRing1: slide 51. There may be better ways than 'test'
 
[12:58] JackRing1: slide 51. There may be better ways than 'test'
  
[13:02] RaviSharma: @Sriram - hence slides for integration of Social-spatio-temporal image integration, for operational systems such as DHS, CDC, Financial flows, etc. you need different sub-settings of ubiquitous integrated IoT and images, any ideas on what metadata standards will evolve that can meet such future scenarios that you have painted?
+
[13:02] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: @Sriram - hence slides for integration of Social-spatio-temporal image integration, for operational systems such as DHS, CDC, Financial flows, etc. you need different sub-settings of ubiquitous integrated IoT and images, any ideas on what metadata standards will evolve that can meet such future scenarios that you have painted?
  
 
[13:02] Mark Underwood: FYI our session hash tag is #ontologysummit - ripe for sentiment analysis   
 
[13:02] Mark Underwood: FYI our session hash tag is #ontologysummit - ripe for sentiment analysis   
Line 95: Line 95:
 
[13:04] JackRing1: slide 65 also mood sensing
 
[13:04] JackRing1: slide 65 also mood sensing
  
[13:05] SteveRay: @Jack: I think that biomimetics is the best blueprint for these kinds of emergent systems. That is, we'll have viruses, antibodies, diseases, etc.
+
[13:05] [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: @Jack: I think that biomimetics is the best blueprint for these kinds of emergent systems. That is, we'll have viruses, antibodies, diseases, etc.
  
 
[13:06] JackRing1: 70 interop with schemas and data dictionaries.
 
[13:06] JackRing1: 70 interop with schemas and data dictionaries.
  
[13:10] PeterYim: great talk, Ram, thank you!
+
[13:10] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: great talk, Ram, thank you!
  
[13:10] JackRing1: SteveRay, yes we will have those but how to mitigate?
+
[13:10] JackRing1: [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]], yes we will have those but how to mitigate?
  
[13:11] RaviSharma: @Sriram - you have answered partly but still sub-setting dynamically and metadata selection - such as adaptive algorithms are still an open Q if you like to address?
+
[13:11] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: @Sriram - you have answered partly but still sub-setting dynamically and metadata selection - such as adaptive algorithms are still an open Q if you like to address?
  
[13:11] SteveRay: @Jack: We will need to build the antibodies and other disease-fighting systems!
+
[13:11] [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: @Jack: We will need to build the antibodies and other disease-fighting systems!
  
 
[13:12] John Morris: BTW, the Twitter handle for NIST is "USNISTgov", not "NISTgov", as far as I can tell.
 
[13:12] John Morris: BTW, the Twitter handle for NIST is "USNISTgov", not "NISTgov", as far as I can tell.
Line 121: Line 121:
 
[13:24] Mark Underwood: Reference for the connection between category models & DB schemas?
 
[13:24] Mark Underwood: Reference for the connection between category models & DB schemas?
  
[13:26] RaviSharma: There is a noise on the audio that is generated by being close to a device such as phone, fan, or something like that, please turn it away
+
[13:26] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: There is a noise on the audio that is generated by being close to a device such as phone, fan, or something like that, please turn it away
  
 
[13:31] Ram D. Sriram: @Ravi: Spencer is using a speaker phone
 
[13:31] Ram D. Sriram: @Ravi: Spencer is using a speaker phone
  
[13:32] LeoObrst: There are some folks in a common room.
+
[13:32] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: There are some folks in a common room.
  
[13:34] ConradBeaulieu: How is category theory formalized in a data specification & functional language?
+
[13:34] [[ConradBeaulieu|Conrad Beaulieu]]: How is category theory formalized in a data specification & functional language?
  
[13:35] PeterYim: @SpencerBreiner & EswaranSubrahmanian - are you tracking/collaborating with the OntoIOp standardization effort (ref. http://ontoiop.org ), where a few of the folks on this call are involved - in that work, category theoretic semantics (among others) have been applied
+
[13:35] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @SpencerBreiner & [[EswaranSubrahmanian|Eswaran Subrahmanian]] - are you tracking/collaborating with the [[OntoIOp]] standardization effort (ref. http://ontoiop.org ), where a few of the folks on this call are involved - in that work, category theoretic semantics (among others) have been applied
  
[13:35] PeterYim: ... [ OntoIOp Semantics: direct set-theoretical (+ institutional, category-theoretical); translational; "collapsed" ( source: http://www.cicm-conference.org/2012/posters/ChristophLange-DistributedOntologyLanguage.pdf ) ]
+
[13:35] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: ... [ OntoIOp Semantics: direct set-theoretical (+ institutional, category-theoretical); translational; "collapsed" ( source: http://www.cicm-conference.org/2012/posters/ChristophLange-DistributedOntologyLanguage.pdf ) ]
  
[13:36] SteveRay: Interesting slide numbering technique.
+
[13:36] [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: Interesting slide numbering technique.
  
 
[13:37] Mark Underwood: @SteveRay Adobe had to adopt a dual numbering scheme - sobering
 
[13:37] Mark Underwood: @SteveRay Adobe had to adopt a dual numbering scheme - sobering
  
[13:38] ConradBeaulieu: @PeterYin: thank you for the reference!
+
[13:38] [[ConradBeaulieu|Conrad Beaulieu]]: @PeterYin: thank you for the reference!
  
[13:41] FabianNeuhaus: @ConradBeaulieu: the most recent version of the DOL draft specification is available here https://github.com/tillmo/DOL/raw/master/Standard/ebnf-OMG_OntoIOp_current.pdf
+
[13:41] [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]]: @ConradBeaulieu: the most recent version of the DOL draft specification is available here https://github.com/tillmo/DOL/raw/master/Standard/ebnf-OMG_OntoIOp_current.pdf
  
[13:45] TaraAthan: Category theory is not just in Haskell - here is a promising library in Scala  https://github.com/non/cats
+
[13:45] [[TaraAthan|Tara Athan]]: Category theory is not just in Haskell - here is a promising library in Scala  https://github.com/non/cats
  
 
[13:46] Mark Underwood: Reference for Breiner's "Category Web Project" ?
 
[13:46] Mark Underwood: Reference for Breiner's "Category Web Project" ?
Line 147: Line 147:
 
[13:48] Al Jones: This is Spencer & Sub, answering questions from Al's computer.
 
[13:48] Al Jones: This is Spencer & Sub, answering questions from Al's computer.
  
[13:48] SteveRay: @Mark: The link was invisible, but it was there: http://categoricaldata.net/
+
[13:48] [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: @Mark: The link was invisible, but it was there: http://categoricaldata.net/
  
[13:49] TaraAthan: In environmental economics, there is also a notion of consumable versus non-consumable resources.
+
[13:49] [[TaraAthan|Tara Athan]]: In environmental economics, there is also a notion of consumable versus non-consumable resources.
  
[13:49] LeoObrst: Mouse over the "Categorical data project" bullet on Spencer's last slide to see the url, connect.
+
[13:49] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: Mouse over the "Categorical data project" bullet on Spencer's last slide to see the url, connect.
  
[13:50] JackRing: Ram. When may we dwell on software assurance? The presence of logic, arithmetic and semantic faults in the code establish the vulnerability of the system.
+
[13:50] [[JackRing|Jack Ring]]: Ram. When may we dwell on software assurance? The presence of logic, arithmetic and semantic faults in the code establish the vulnerability of the system.
  
[13:50] PeterYim: @FabianNeuhaus - would you share a link to an (more recent) overview of the OntoIOp / DOL effort, please (there must have been slidedecks available online, I wasn't able to locate them that would give people a good intro)
+
[13:50] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @FabianNeuhaus - would you share a link to an (more recent) overview of the [[OntoIOp]] / DOL effort, please (there must have been slidedecks available online, I wasn't able to locate them that would give people a good intro)
  
 
[13:50] Al Jones: @Conrad, are you asking about how one formalizes category theory (e.g., in another logical formalism)? If so, one only requires a fragment of first-order logic including conjunction and equality.
 
[13:50] Al Jones: @Conrad, are you asking about how one formalizes category theory (e.g., in another logical formalism)? If so, one only requires a fragment of first-order logic including conjunction and equality.
Line 161: Line 161:
 
[13:52] Al Jones: @Peter, I (Spencer) am pretty new to this area, but Fabian pointed us to DOL a few weeks ago. We look forward to working with their group, but we haven't really started yet.
 
[13:52] Al Jones: @Peter, I (Spencer) am pretty new to this area, but Fabian pointed us to DOL a few weeks ago. We look forward to working with their group, but we haven't really started yet.
  
[13:53] PeterYim: Thank you, Spencer
+
[13:53] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: Thank you, Spencer
  
 
[13:53] Al Jones: @Tara, Thanks for the pointer! It's edifying that the more people we ask the more applications that we find already in the wild.
 
[13:53] Al Jones: @Tara, Thanks for the pointer! It's edifying that the more people we ask the more applications that we find already in the wild.
Line 169: Line 169:
 
[13:56] Al Jones: @Mark, you can find a discussion of the relationship between category theory and databases in the FQL section of categoricaldata.net.
 
[13:56] Al Jones: @Mark, you can find a discussion of the relationship between category theory and databases in the FQL section of categoricaldata.net.
  
[13:56] JackRing: SteveRay: Don't need antibodies if the system is impervious to the capabilities of the attacker.
+
[13:56] [[JackRing|Jack Ring]]: [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: Don't need antibodies if the system is impervious to the capabilities of the attacker.
  
[14:01] AnatolyLevenchuk: INCOSE Russian chapter have a research topic about category theory as an formalism for model-based systems engineering. Leader of this is Dr.Sergey Kovalyov. We also know other category theory proponents that think about ontology of a System and systems engineering applications (e.g. Kenneth A.Lloyd).
+
[14:01] [[AnatolyLevenchuk|Anatoly Levenchuk]]: INCOSE Russian chapter have a research topic about category theory as an formalism for model-based systems engineering. Leader of this is Dr.Sergey Kovalyov. We also know other category theory proponents that think about ontology of a System and systems engineering applications (e.g. Kenneth A.Lloyd).
  
[14:03] TerryLongstreth: @KrzysztofJanowicz Slied 6 - Do your upper layers promote the creation of ontology evolving software?
+
[14:03] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: @KrzysztofJanowicz Slied 6 - Do your upper layers promote the creation of ontology evolving software?
  
[14:03] BobbinTeegarden: @Krzysztof  Don't the Mappings turn into a sort of upper-level (if light weight) ontology?
+
[14:03] [[BobbinTeegarden|Bobbin Teegarden]]: @Krzysztof  Don't the Mappings turn into a sort of upper-level (if light weight) ontology?
  
[14:04] SteveRay: @Jack: That sounds like a firewall - don't you think it is better to build immunity into the components of a system rather than trying to isolate the system inside a bubble?
+
[14:04] [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: @Jack: That sounds like a firewall - don't you think it is better to build immunity into the components of a system rather than trying to isolate the system inside a bubble?
  
[14:06] PeterYim: @KrzysztofJanowicz - re your slide 5 assertion that "Monolithic (upper-level) ontologies do not perform well in highly heterogeneous settings" ... I think "upper level" seems misplaced ... would "(Very granular) Monolithic ontologies do not perform well in highly heterogeneous settings" reflect better what you meant to say?
+
[14:06] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @KrzysztofJanowicz - re your slide 5 assertion that "Monolithic (upper-level) ontologies do not perform well in highly heterogeneous settings" ... I think "upper level" seems misplaced ... would "(Very granular) Monolithic ontologies do not perform well in highly heterogeneous settings" reflect better what you meant to say?
  
 
[14:06] John Graybeal: On Janowicz slide 8, oddly the Source of a Fix is subClassOf ssn:Device. Couldn't a person also be a Source?
 
[14:06] John Graybeal: On Janowicz slide 8, oddly the Source of a Fix is subClassOf ssn:Device. Couldn't a person also be a Source?
Line 185: Line 185:
 
[14:08] John Graybeal: @PeterYim: My intuition and experience has been that working with upper-level ontologies that try to cover a lot of areas is problematic, because they have so many broad assumptions that you run into trouble somewhere in your more precise local system. Not sure if that's what he's saying, but that's what resonated for me.
 
[14:08] John Graybeal: @PeterYim: My intuition and experience has been that working with upper-level ontologies that try to cover a lot of areas is problematic, because they have so many broad assumptions that you run into trouble somewhere in your more precise local system. Not sure if that's what he's saying, but that's what resonated for me.
  
[14:09] PeterYim: ... personally, I believe there is a huge need for the shared-adoption or standardization of upper-level ontologies (just imagine we have a million different notions of "Time")
+
[14:09] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: ... personally, I believe there is a huge need for the shared-adoption or standardization of upper-level ontologies (just imagine we have a million different notions of "Time")
  
 
[14:10] Mark Underwood: Interesting concept - analogy / design pattern of virtualization applied to ontologies
 
[14:10] Mark Underwood: Interesting concept - analogy / design pattern of virtualization applied to ontologies
  
[14:11] MikeBennett: @PeterYim xx:06 I'm inclined to agree with you. One possible source of confusion is whether what one means by an "ontology" is itself highly axiomatized, or is a simple generic ODP such as the Trajectories one - having this kind of thing in upper / mid level ontologies should assist integration; trying to say more about each thing might not.
+
[14:11] [[MikeBennett|Mike Bennett]]: @PeterYim xx:06 I'm inclined to agree with you. One possible source of confusion is whether what one means by an "ontology" is itself highly axiomatized, or is a simple generic ODP such as the Trajectories one - having this kind of thing in upper / mid level ontologies should assist integration; trying to say more about each thing might not.
  
[14:11] PeterYim: @JohnGraybeal: agree, and hence I qualified that statement with "Very granular" in "(Very granular) Monolithic ontologies do not perform well ..."
+
[14:11] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @JohnGraybeal: agree, and hence I qualified that statement with "Very granular" in "(Very granular) Monolithic ontologies do not perform well ..."
  
 
[14:11] uri shani: which slide, which talk?
 
[14:11] uri shani: which slide, which talk?
  
[14:11] RaviSharma: @Krzysztof - Can you explain a bit more on why provenance is not also related to time evolution of observation?
+
[14:11] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: @Krzysztof - Can you explain a bit more on why provenance is not also related to time evolution of observation?
  
[14:12] PeterYim: @uri shani - KrzysztofJanowicz speaking just now (just finished ...)
+
[14:12] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @uri shani - [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]] speaking just now (just finished ...)
  
 
[14:13] John Graybeal: @PeterYim, yes ok re 'granular', interestingly I understood 'monolithic' to mean to cover everything, hence it would have to be granular.   
 
[14:13] John Graybeal: @PeterYim, yes ok re 'granular', interestingly I understood 'monolithic' to mean to cover everything, hence it would have to be granular.   
  
[14:13] KrzysztofJanowicz: John Graybeal: yes, thanks for the question and sorry for not making this clear. the dashed lines are semantic hooks to other patterns
+
[14:13] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: John Graybeal: yes, thanks for the question and sorry for not making this clear. the dashed lines are semantic hooks to other patterns
  
[14:13] KrzysztofJanowicz: the trajectory pattern's source class can be used for humans, devices, and even simulations
+
[14:13] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: the trajectory pattern's source class can be used for humans, devices, and even simulations
  
[14:14] PatrickOBrien1: For KrzysztofJanowicz slide 7.  Can he provde an example of "Some patterns are strategies"?
+
[14:14] PatrickOBrien1: For [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]] slide 7.  Can he provde an example of "Some patterns are strategies"?
  
[14:17] SteveRay: @Krzysztof: Each of your design patterns has an implicit context that bounds its applicability. Do you have some method of capturing that information? i.e. metadata for the pattern?
+
[14:17] [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: @Krzysztof: Each of your design patterns has an implicit context that bounds its applicability. Do you have some method of capturing that information? i.e. metadata for the pattern?
  
[14:17] PeterYim: @JohnGraybeal - I took 'monolithic' to mean "not modular" or "not layered" ... By virtual of "upper level" (which probably implies that there are other levels (like the generally accepted notions of a "middle level ontologies," "super-domain ontologies," "domain ontologies," etc.) which then makes "upper level" in the original assertion dubious
+
[14:17] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @JohnGraybeal - I took 'monolithic' to mean "not modular" or "not layered" ... By virtual of "upper level" (which probably implies that there are other levels (like the generally accepted notions of a "middle level ontologies," "super-domain ontologies," "domain ontologies," etc.) which then makes "upper level" in the original assertion dubious
  
[14:18] JackRing1: SteveRay: exactly. That is why we must cleanse all software of logic, arithmetic and semantic faults and do so as often as the software is changed. This essential aspect is being vigorously ignored by IoT champions. Some even say it can't be done.
+
[14:18] JackRing1: [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: exactly. That is why we must cleanse all software of logic, arithmetic and semantic faults and do so as often as the software is changed. This essential aspect is being vigorously ignored by IoT champions. Some even say it can't be done.
  
[14:19] KrzysztofJanowicz: PatrickOBrien1: Yes. This is similar to software engineering design patterns. A strategy would be using concept reification for time-indexed relations (just to give one example)
+
[14:19] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: PatrickOBrien1: Yes. This is similar to software engineering design patterns. A strategy would be using concept reification for time-indexed relations (just to give one example)
  
 
[14:19] PatrickOBrien1: Thank you
 
[14:19] PatrickOBrien1: Thank you
[14:19] KrzysztofJanowicz: "'monolithic' to mean "not modular" or "not  
+
[14:19] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: "'monolithic' to mean "not modular" or "not  
 
layered"" --> yes
 
layered"" --> yes
  
[14:20] VictorAgroskin: @Krzysztof Ontology patterns are standardised now by the W3C RDF Data Shapes Working Group http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Main_Page . Do you see value in an ontology pattern language they are proposing?
+
[14:20] [[VictorAgroskin|Victor Agroskin]]: @Krzysztof Ontology patterns are standardised now by the W3C RDF Data Shapes Working Group http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Main_Page . Do you see value in an ontology pattern language they are proposing?
  
 
[14:21] JackRing1: Is anyone working on an ontology regarding Do No Harm?
 
[14:21] JackRing1: Is anyone working on an ontology regarding Do No Harm?
  
[14:21] RaviSharma: @ all - thanks
+
[14:21] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: @ all - thanks
  
[14:21] KrzysztofJanowicz: "upper level" --> here just as shortcut for ontologies that introduce strong ontological commitments above the layer of concrete purpose-driven cases.
+
[14:21] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: "upper level" --> here just as shortcut for ontologies that introduce strong ontological commitments above the layer of concrete purpose-driven cases.
  
[14:22] KrzysztofJanowicz: one example would be a domain ontology for  geographic features such as 'forest'
+
[14:22] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: one example would be a domain ontology for  geographic features such as 'forest'
  
[14:24] KrzysztofJanowicz: BobbinTeegarden: interesting point, thanks. The big difference is that this remains configurable in a plug&play manner without  the need to arrive at 'agreement' first.
+
[14:24] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: [[BobbinTeegarden|Bobbin Teegarden]]: interesting point, thanks. The big difference is that this remains configurable in a plug&play manner without  the need to arrive at 'agreement' first.
  
[14:24] RaviSharma: static objects and subjects, ok but forest that is living has lot more?
+
[14:24] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: static objects and subjects, ok but forest that is living has lot more?
  
[14:24] KrzysztofJanowicz: IMHO, ontologies should make differences explicit not try to arrive at some sort of common truth.
+
[14:24] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: IMHO, ontologies should make differences explicit not try to arrive at some sort of common truth.
  
 
[14:25] JackRing1: Can't get there. One way is to apply Category Theory to discover the ontology of "ontology"
 
[14:25] JackRing1: Can't get there. One way is to apply Category Theory to discover the ontology of "ontology"
Line 239: Line 239:
 
[14:25] John Morris: A really great session!
 
[14:25] John Morris: A really great session!
  
[14:25] VictorAgroskin: A year ago at Summit Hakathon http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_Hackathon_ReferenceDataForAnimeAndManga we've experimented with patterns to describe schema-neutral representation of data for several datasources. This work was based on ontology templates introduced by ISO 15926-7 which is an attempt to bring ontology models into engineering domain.
+
[14:25] [[VictorAgroskin|Victor Agroskin]]: A year ago at Summit Hakathon http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_Hackathon_ReferenceDataForAnimeAndManga we've experimented with patterns to describe schema-neutral representation of data for several datasources. This work was based on ontology templates introduced by ISO 15926-7 which is an attempt to bring ontology models into engineering domain.
  
[14:25] KrzysztofJanowicz: RaviSharma: it is. Observations need provenance data, namely the used observation procedures, sensors, etc.
+
[14:25] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: it is. Observations need provenance data, namely the used observation procedures, sensors, etc.
  
[14:26] AnatolyLevenchuk: @JackRing We here thinking about category theory as an ontology language similar way   
+
[14:26] [[AnatolyLevenchuk|Anatoly Levenchuk]]: @JackRing We here thinking about category theory as an ontology language similar way   
  
[14:26] KrzysztofJanowicz: VictorAgroskin: Thank you very much for the pointer!
+
[14:26] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: [[VictorAgroskin|Victor Agroskin]]: Thank you very much for the pointer!
  
[14:27] KrzysztofJanowicz: TerryLongstreth: interesting question, have not thought about it this way.
+
[14:27] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: interesting question, have not thought about it this way.
  
[14:27] RaviSharma: @Ram - tremendous work putting it together
+
[14:27] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: @Ram - tremendous work putting it together
  
 
[14:28] JackRing1: @AnatolyLevenchuk: yes. leads us to see types of systems as well as classes of systems. Will send you a slide.
 
[14:28] JackRing1: @AnatolyLevenchuk: yes. leads us to see types of systems as well as classes of systems. Will send you a slide.
  
[14:28] RaviSharma: thanks to Leo and Ram
+
[14:28] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: thanks to Leo and Ram
  
 
[14:28] Mark Underwood: Janowicz: +1 for the design pattern approach overall. Next step: routinized integration w/ Visual Studio
 
[14:28] Mark Underwood: Janowicz: +1 for the design pattern approach overall. Next step: routinized integration w/ Visual Studio
  
[14:28] AnatolyLevenchuk: Very, very, very interesting session!
+
[14:28] [[AnatolyLevenchuk|Anatoly Levenchuk]]: Very, very, very interesting session!
  
 
[14:28] JackRing1: +1
 
[14:28] JackRing1: +1
  
[14:28] PeterYim: awesome session; great talks! ... Thank you to co-chairs and OntologySummit organizing committee folks!
+
[14:28] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: awesome session; great talks! ... Thank you to co-chairs and [[OntologySummit|Ontology Summit]] organizing committee folks!
  
[14:28] LeoObrst: Thanks, all!
+
[14:28] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: Thanks, all!
  
 
[14:28] Mark Underwood: High quality as always - thanks all
 
[14:28] Mark Underwood: High quality as always - thanks all
  
[14:28] KrzysztofJanowicz: SteveRay: excellent point, I will try to answer this after the session.
+
[14:28] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: excellent point, I will try to answer this after the session.
  
[14:29] KrzysztofJanowicz: Thanks to Leo,Ram
+
[14:29] [[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]]: Thanks to Leo,Ram
  
[14:29] SteveRay: @Krzysztof: Thanks, I'm still online.
+
[14:29] [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]]: @Krzysztof: Thanks, I'm still online.
  
[14:31] RaviSharma: Also All speakers thanks.
+
[14:31] [[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]]: Also All speakers thanks.
  
 
== Additional Resources ==
 
== Additional Resources ==
Line 317: Line 317:
  
 
== Attendees  ==
 
== Attendees  ==
RaviSharma
+
Al Jones,
 +
Allyson,
 +
[[AnatolyLevenchuk|Anatoly Levenchuk]],
 +
Antoine Gerardin,
 +
[[BobbinTeegarden|Bobbin Teegarden]],
 +
[[ChristopherSpottiswoode|Christopher Spottiswoode]],
 +
[[ConradBeaulieu|Conrad Beaulieu]],
 +
Dennis Wisnosky,
 +
[[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]],
 +
Gary Berg-Cross,
 +
[[JackRing|Jack Ring]],
 +
[[JoeKopena|Joe Kopena]],
 +
[[JoelBender|Joel Bender]],
 +
John Graybeal,
 +
John Morris,
 +
[[JoshLieberman|Josh Lieberman]],
 +
Judith Gelernter,
 +
[[KrzysztofJanowicz|Krzysztof Janowicz]],
 +
[[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]],
 +
Liana Kiff,
 +
Malek,
 +
Mark Underwood,
 +
[[MatthewWest|Matthew West]],
 +
[[MichaelGruninger|Michael Grüninger]],
 +
Mike Bobak,
 +
[[MikeBennett|Mike Bennett]],
 +
MikeBobak,
 +
Osman Bineev,
 +
Padi Sarala,
 +
PatrickOBrien,
 +
[[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]],
 +
Ram D. Sriram,
 +
[[RaviSharma|Ravi Sharma]],
 +
Richard Martin,
 +
Rokan,
 +
[[SteveRay|Steve Ray]],
 +
[[TaraAthan|Tara Athan]],
 +
[[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]],
 +
[[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]],
 +
Tom Tinsley,
 +
Veda Storey,
 +
[[VictorAgroskin|Victor Agroskin]],
 +
uri shani
  
  

Latest revision as of 02:51, 9 January 2016

[ ]

Contents

[edit] OntologySummit2015 Track A Session - Thu 2015-03-12     (1)

Topic: : Ontology Integration in the Internet of Things (IoT) [Track A session-2]     (1A)

Session Co-chairs: RamSriram & LeoObrst     (1B)

Billions of things will be connected to the Internet. These things span a spectrum of cognitive abilities from simple sensors to humans. Ontologies will play a significant role in integrating these things at different abstraction levels. The goal of track A (Ontology Integration in the Internet of Things) is: To discuss the various approaches being taken to address the integration and interoperability issues. We intend to present case studies of IoT, discuss current approaches in integration and interoperability, discuss gaps in current approaches, and discuss issues of vertical integration and interoperability across layers of the IoT, including granularity. We also want to propose methods for achieving integration and interoperability through ontologies, and propose a unified framework for integration and interoperability for multimodal (audio, text, video, etc.) interfaces.     (1C1)

  • RamSriram (NIST): Toward Internet of Everything: Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS)     (1D2)
    • Abstract: The Internet of Everything (IoE) or Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS) will have significant implications for both the market for advanced computing and communication infrastructure and the future markets �� for nearly 4.5 billion people -- that net-centric societies will create. I will start my presentation with a brief discussion on the evolution of SNSS. The development of a trusted, secure, reliable, and interoperable net-centric computing environment will need technologies that can assure a flexible and scalable system allowing the application of diverse and robust privacy requirements, thus enabling the trusted and meaningful growth of net-centric infrastructures for the benefit of all societies. I will discuss the research challenges (in information technology) for achieving the above net-centric computing environment.     (1D2A)
  • SpencerBreiner (NIST) and EswaranSubrahmanian (Carnegie Mellon University, NIST): Category Theory for Modular Design: An IoT Example     (1D3)
    • Abstract: Category theory (CT) is the mathematical study of structure and, as such, provides a rich formal language for the specification and analysis of ontologies, broadly construed as structured representations of information. In this talk we will use constructions from CT to define a formal model for a smart heating system in a house. Although simplistic, the model highlights various advantages of the category theoretic approach including modularity, extensibility, rich semantics and deep connections with the theory of databases and programming languages. As an integrative formalism, Category theoretical models could also serve in the requirements definition of IoT components and as a substrate for learning algorithms using the data base to evolve the underlying behavioral models of the components.     (1D3A)
  • KrzysztofJanowicz (University of California, Santa Barbara): Ontology Virtualization For Smart Environments     (1D4)
    • Abstract: The Internet of Things is more than just connected devices. It is about the interaction of cyber-systems with the physical environment, individuals, and society. In such a heterogeneous setting where multi-thematic, multi-perspective, multi-media data have to be handled at different spatial, temporal, and thematic granularities, semantic interoperability becomes a key challenge. While ontologies and Semantic Web technologies have been proposed to address data integration and interoperability, monolithic ontologies do not perform well in highly heterogeneous settings. Ontology design patterns have been proposed to handle this issue by providing modular but self-contained building blocks. Additionally, new research shows promise in approaching the knowledge engineering bottleneck by means of ontology learning. While both approaches aim at scaling ontology engineering, it is also worth exploring how to scale the (re)use of ontologies. In this talk we introduce the notion of ontology virtualization, namely to abstracts from the underlying patterns and axiomatization to provide flexible plug&play-style reconfiguration of patterns together with purpose-driven 'semantic views'.     (1D4A)

[edit] Prepared presentation material     (1E)

Prepared material (slides) from the presenters can be accessed by clicking on each of these links: Chair Intro ; RamSriram ; SpencerBreiner-EswaranSubrahmanian ; KrzysztofJanowicz .     (1E1)

[edit] Audio Recording of the Session     (1F)

[edit] In-Session Chat Transcript     (1G)

[12:22] Leo Obrst: Ontology Summit 2015 Track A Session - Thu 2015-03-12 Ontology Integration in the Internet of Things (IoT) [Track A session-2]     (1G1)

Ram D. Sriram (NIST) and Leo Obrst (MITRE): Track A Co-Champions: Introduction to the Session     (1G3)

Ram D. Sriram (NIST): Toward Internet of Everything: Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), and Smart Networked Systems and Societies (SNSS)     (1G4)

Spencer Breiner (NIST) and Eswaran Subrahmanian (Carnegie Mellon University, NIST): Category Theory for Modular Design: An IoT Example     (1G5)

Krzysztof Janowicz (University of California, Santa Barbara): Ontology Virtualization for Smart Environments     (1G6)

Discussion     (1G7)

[12:26] anonymous morphed into Al Jones     (1G9)

[12:26] Peter P. Yim: Hello Al ... haven't seen you for while!     (1G10)

[12:27] Leo Obrst: I've logged in as admin on the bridge.     (1G11)

[12:28] Peter P. Yim: a better link to the slides: http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ConferenceCall_2015_03_12#Prepared_presentation_material ... (this links to the latest version of the page content)     (1G12)

[12:31] Ravi Sharma: Peter - How are you? the link brings back to the conf. session page, but can we still open the presentation screen, I download the papers and follow the speakers by slide numbers.     (1G13)

[12:34] Padi Sarala: Hello Everybody     (1G14)

[12:34] Mark Underwood: FYI I'm having trouble connecting to Skype     (1G15)

[12:34] Peter P. Yim: @RaviSharma - we don't have shared-screen support any more, but downloading the slides and following the speakers' slide number prompts     (1G16)

[12:35] Peter P. Yim: ... would be the way     (1G17)

[12:42] Peter P. Yim: @[9:34] Mark Underwood - are you in yet; try dialing the phone number too, if skype doesn't work for you (it does for me) - ref. http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ConferenceCall_2015_03_12#Conference_Call_Details     (1G18)

[12:43] Mark Underwood: @Peter - Thx, connected after a couple kills [12:43] Krzysztof Janowicz: Is there a VNC Link?     (1G19)

[12:43] Leo Obrst: There is no more VNC link.     (1G20)

[12:43] Peter P. Yim: @KrzysztofJanowicz - No, no vnc support any more     (1G22)

[12:44] Dennis Wisnosky: The slides are not downloading for me. I could see Leo's slides, not these.     (1G23)

[12:44] Krzysztof Janowicz: They are large, you may have to wait a few minutes     (1G24)

[12:44] Leo Obrst: Slide 13     (1G25)

[12:50] Dennis Wisnosky: took 10 minutes.     (1G26)

[12:55] Todd Schneider: Ram, Where do you see foundational ontologies (e.g., BFO, DOLCE, etc.) coming into play?     (1G27)

[12:58] JackRing1: slide 51. There may be better ways than 'test'     (1G28)

[13:02] Ravi Sharma: @Sriram - hence slides for integration of Social-spatio-temporal image integration, for operational systems such as DHS, CDC, Financial flows, etc. you need different sub-settings of ubiquitous integrated IoT and images, any ideas on what metadata standards will evolve that can meet such future scenarios that you have painted?     (1G29)

[13:02] Mark Underwood: FYI our session hash tag is #ontologysummit - ripe for sentiment analysis     (1G30)

[13:03] JackRing1: What if some of the Things in the IoT are a million software bugs?     (1G31)

[13:04] JackRing1: slide 65 also mood sensing     (1G32)

[13:05] Steve Ray: @Jack: I think that biomimetics is the best blueprint for these kinds of emergent systems. That is, we'll have viruses, antibodies, diseases, etc.     (1G33)

[13:06] JackRing1: 70 interop with schemas and data dictionaries.     (1G34)

[13:10] Peter P. Yim: great talk, Ram, thank you!     (1G35)

[13:10] JackRing1: Steve Ray, yes we will have those but how to mitigate?     (1G36)

[13:11] Ravi Sharma: @Sriram - you have answered partly but still sub-setting dynamically and metadata selection - such as adaptive algorithms are still an open Q if you like to address?     (1G37)

[13:11] Steve Ray: @Jack: We will need to build the antibodies and other disease-fighting systems!     (1G38)

[13:12] John Morris: BTW, the Twitter handle for NIST is "USNISTgov", not "NISTgov", as far as I can tell.     (1G39)

[13:14] Ram D. Sriram: Lots of great questions.     (1G40)

[13:17] Ram D. Sriram: @JaackRing: Software assurance is one of the challenges I did not dwell on in more detail     (1G41)

[13:18] Mark Underwood: @JohnM - thx for the correction. Oy.     (1G42)

[13:20] Dennis Wisnosky: Slide 6 needs and AND gate     (1G43)

[13:24] John Morris: This is Spencer Breiner speaking now, yes?     (1G44)

[13:24] Mark Underwood: Reference for the connection between category models & DB schemas?     (1G45)

[13:26] Ravi Sharma: There is a noise on the audio that is generated by being close to a device such as phone, fan, or something like that, please turn it away     (1G46)

[13:31] Ram D. Sriram: @Ravi: Spencer is using a speaker phone     (1G47)

[13:32] Leo Obrst: There are some folks in a common room.     (1G48)

[13:34] Conrad Beaulieu: How is category theory formalized in a data specification & functional language?     (1G49)

[13:35] Peter P. Yim: @SpencerBreiner & Eswaran Subrahmanian - are you tracking/collaborating with the OntoIOp standardization effort (ref. http://ontoiop.org ), where a few of the folks on this call are involved - in that work, category theoretic semantics (among others) have been applied     (1G50)

[13:35] Peter P. Yim: ... [ OntoIOp Semantics: direct set-theoretical (+ institutional, category-theoretical); translational; "collapsed" ( source: http://www.cicm-conference.org/2012/posters/ChristophLange-DistributedOntologyLanguage.pdf ) ]     (1G51)

[13:36] Steve Ray: Interesting slide numbering technique.     (1G52)

[13:37] Mark Underwood: @SteveRay Adobe had to adopt a dual numbering scheme - sobering     (1G53)

[13:38] Conrad Beaulieu: @PeterYin: thank you for the reference!     (1G54)

[13:41] Fabian Neuhaus: @ConradBeaulieu: the most recent version of the DOL draft specification is available here https://github.com/tillmo/DOL/raw/master/Standard/ebnf-OMG_OntoIOp_current.pdf     (1G55)

[13:45] Tara Athan: Category theory is not just in Haskell - here is a promising library in Scala https://github.com/non/cats     (1G56)

[13:46] Mark Underwood: Reference for Breiner's "Category Web Project" ?     (1G57)

[13:48] Al Jones: This is Spencer & Sub, answering questions from Al's computer.     (1G58)

[13:48] Steve Ray: @Mark: The link was invisible, but it was there: http://categoricaldata.net/     (1G59)

[13:49] Tara Athan: In environmental economics, there is also a notion of consumable versus non-consumable resources.     (1G60)

[13:49] Leo Obrst: Mouse over the "Categorical data project" bullet on Spencer's last slide to see the url, connect.     (1G61)

[13:50] Jack Ring: Ram. When may we dwell on software assurance? The presence of logic, arithmetic and semantic faults in the code establish the vulnerability of the system.     (1G62)

[13:50] Peter P. Yim: @FabianNeuhaus - would you share a link to an (more recent) overview of the OntoIOp / DOL effort, please (there must have been slidedecks available online, I wasn't able to locate them that would give people a good intro)     (1G63)

[13:50] Al Jones: @Conrad, are you asking about how one formalizes category theory (e.g., in another logical formalism)? If so, one only requires a fragment of first-order logic including conjunction and equality.     (1G64)

[13:52] Al Jones: @Peter, I (Spencer) am pretty new to this area, but Fabian pointed us to DOL a few weeks ago. We look forward to working with their group, but we haven't really started yet.     (1G65)

[13:53] Peter P. Yim: Thank you, Spencer     (1G66)

[13:53] Al Jones: @Tara, Thanks for the pointer! It's edifying that the more people we ask the more applications that we find already in the wild.     (1G67)

[13:55] Ram D. Sriram: @JackRIng: That is a problem we are planning on addressing for mPCDs (Paul Black, paul.black@nist.gov is the POC here)     (1G68)

[13:56] Al Jones: @Mark, you can find a discussion of the relationship between category theory and databases in the FQL section of categoricaldata.net.     (1G69)

[13:56] Jack Ring: Steve Ray: Don't need antibodies if the system is impervious to the capabilities of the attacker.     (1G70)

[14:01] Anatoly Levenchuk: INCOSE Russian chapter have a research topic about category theory as an formalism for model-based systems engineering. Leader of this is Dr.Sergey Kovalyov. We also know other category theory proponents that think about ontology of a System and systems engineering applications (e.g. Kenneth A.Lloyd).     (1G71)

[14:03] Terry Longstreth: @KrzysztofJanowicz Slied 6 - Do your upper layers promote the creation of ontology evolving software?     (1G72)

[14:03] Bobbin Teegarden: @Krzysztof Don't the Mappings turn into a sort of upper-level (if light weight) ontology?     (1G73)

[14:04] Steve Ray: @Jack: That sounds like a firewall - don't you think it is better to build immunity into the components of a system rather than trying to isolate the system inside a bubble?     (1G74)

[14:06] Peter P. Yim: @KrzysztofJanowicz - re your slide 5 assertion that "Monolithic (upper-level) ontologies do not perform well in highly heterogeneous settings" ... I think "upper level" seems misplaced ... would "(Very granular) Monolithic ontologies do not perform well in highly heterogeneous settings" reflect better what you meant to say?     (1G75)

[14:06] John Graybeal: On Janowicz slide 8, oddly the Source of a Fix is subClassOf ssn:Device. Couldn't a person also be a Source?     (1G76)

[14:08] John Graybeal: @PeterYim: My intuition and experience has been that working with upper-level ontologies that try to cover a lot of areas is problematic, because they have so many broad assumptions that you run into trouble somewhere in your more precise local system. Not sure if that's what he's saying, but that's what resonated for me.     (1G77)

[14:09] Peter P. Yim: ... personally, I believe there is a huge need for the shared-adoption or standardization of upper-level ontologies (just imagine we have a million different notions of "Time")     (1G78)

[14:10] Mark Underwood: Interesting concept - analogy / design pattern of virtualization applied to ontologies     (1G79)

[14:11] Mike Bennett: @PeterYim xx:06 I'm inclined to agree with you. One possible source of confusion is whether what one means by an "ontology" is itself highly axiomatized, or is a simple generic ODP such as the Trajectories one - having this kind of thing in upper / mid level ontologies should assist integration; trying to say more about each thing might not.     (1G80)

[14:11] Peter P. Yim: @JohnGraybeal: agree, and hence I qualified that statement with "Very granular" in "(Very granular) Monolithic ontologies do not perform well ..."     (1G81)

[14:11] uri shani: which slide, which talk?     (1G82)

[14:11] Ravi Sharma: @Krzysztof - Can you explain a bit more on why provenance is not also related to time evolution of observation?     (1G83)

[14:12] Peter P. Yim: @uri shani - Krzysztof Janowicz speaking just now (just finished ...)     (1G84)

[14:13] John Graybeal: @PeterYim, yes ok re 'granular', interestingly I understood 'monolithic' to mean to cover everything, hence it would have to be granular.     (1G85)

[14:13] Krzysztof Janowicz: John Graybeal: yes, thanks for the question and sorry for not making this clear. the dashed lines are semantic hooks to other patterns     (1G86)

[14:13] Krzysztof Janowicz: the trajectory pattern's source class can be used for humans, devices, and even simulations     (1G87)

[14:14] PatrickOBrien1: For Krzysztof Janowicz slide 7. Can he provde an example of "Some patterns are strategies"?     (1G88)

[14:17] Steve Ray: @Krzysztof: Each of your design patterns has an implicit context that bounds its applicability. Do you have some method of capturing that information? i.e. metadata for the pattern?     (1G89)

[14:17] Peter P. Yim: @JohnGraybeal - I took 'monolithic' to mean "not modular" or "not layered" ... By virtual of "upper level" (which probably implies that there are other levels (like the generally accepted notions of a "middle level ontologies," "super-domain ontologies," "domain ontologies," etc.) which then makes "upper level" in the original assertion dubious     (1G90)

[14:18] JackRing1: Steve Ray: exactly. That is why we must cleanse all software of logic, arithmetic and semantic faults and do so as often as the software is changed. This essential aspect is being vigorously ignored by IoT champions. Some even say it can't be done.     (1G91)

[14:19] Krzysztof Janowicz: PatrickOBrien1: Yes. This is similar to software engineering design patterns. A strategy would be using concept reification for time-indexed relations (just to give one example)     (1G92)

[14:19] PatrickOBrien1: Thank you [14:19] Krzysztof Janowicz: "'monolithic' to mean "not modular" or "not layered"" --> yes     (1G93)

[14:20] Victor Agroskin: @Krzysztof Ontology patterns are standardised now by the W3C RDF Data Shapes Working Group http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Main_Page . Do you see value in an ontology pattern language they are proposing?     (1G94)

[14:21] JackRing1: Is anyone working on an ontology regarding Do No Harm?     (1G95)

[14:21] Ravi Sharma: @ all - thanks     (1G96)

[14:21] Krzysztof Janowicz: "upper level" --> here just as shortcut for ontologies that introduce strong ontological commitments above the layer of concrete purpose-driven cases.     (1G97)

[14:22] Krzysztof Janowicz: one example would be a domain ontology for geographic features such as 'forest'     (1G98)

[14:24] Krzysztof Janowicz: Bobbin Teegarden: interesting point, thanks. The big difference is that this remains configurable in a plug&play manner without the need to arrive at 'agreement' first.     (1G99)

[14:24] Ravi Sharma: static objects and subjects, ok but forest that is living has lot more?     (1G100)

[14:24] Krzysztof Janowicz: IMHO, ontologies should make differences explicit not try to arrive at some sort of common truth.     (1G101)

[14:25] JackRing1: Can't get there. One way is to apply Category Theory to discover the ontology of "ontology"     (1G102)

[14:25] John Morris: A really great session!     (1G103)

[14:25] Victor Agroskin: A year ago at Summit Hakathon http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_Hackathon_ReferenceDataForAnimeAndManga we've experimented with patterns to describe schema-neutral representation of data for several datasources. This work was based on ontology templates introduced by ISO 15926-7 which is an attempt to bring ontology models into engineering domain.     (1G104)

[14:25] Krzysztof Janowicz: Ravi Sharma: it is. Observations need provenance data, namely the used observation procedures, sensors, etc.     (1G105)

[14:26] Anatoly Levenchuk: @JackRing We here thinking about category theory as an ontology language similar way     (1G106)

[14:26] Krzysztof Janowicz: Victor Agroskin: Thank you very much for the pointer!     (1G107)

[14:27] Krzysztof Janowicz: Terry Longstreth: interesting question, have not thought about it this way.     (1G108)

[14:27] Ravi Sharma: @Ram - tremendous work putting it together     (1G109)

[14:28] JackRing1: @AnatolyLevenchuk: yes. leads us to see types of systems as well as classes of systems. Will send you a slide.     (1G110)

[14:28] Ravi Sharma: thanks to Leo and Ram     (1G111)

[14:28] Mark Underwood: Janowicz: +1 for the design pattern approach overall. Next step: routinized integration w/ Visual Studio     (1G112)

[14:28] Anatoly Levenchuk: Very, very, very interesting session!     (1G113)

[14:28] JackRing1: +1     (1G114)

[14:28] Peter P. Yim: awesome session; great talks! ... Thank you to co-chairs and Ontology Summit organizing committee folks!     (1G115)

[14:28] Leo Obrst: Thanks, all!     (1G116)

[14:28] Mark Underwood: High quality as always - thanks all     (1G117)

[14:28] Krzysztof Janowicz: Steve Ray: excellent point, I will try to answer this after the session.     (1G118)

[14:29] Krzysztof Janowicz: Thanks to Leo,Ram     (1G119)

[14:29] Steve Ray: @Krzysztof: Thanks, I'm still online.     (1G120)

[14:31] Ravi Sharma: Also All speakers thanks.     (1G121)

[edit] Additional Resources     (1H)

  • Dial-in:     (1I3)
    • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1I3A)
    • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1I3B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (1I3B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1I3B2)
        • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (1I3B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1I3B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1I3B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1I3B3B)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1I4A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1I4B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) summit_20150312@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1I4C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1I5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1I5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1I5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1I5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1I5D)
  • RSVP to ram.sriram@nist.gov with your affiliation appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community already.)     (1I7)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1I9)

[edit] Attendees     (1J)

Al Jones, Allyson, Anatoly Levenchuk, Antoine Gerardin, Bobbin Teegarden, Christopher Spottiswoode, Conrad Beaulieu, Dennis Wisnosky, Fabian Neuhaus, Gary Berg-Cross, Jack Ring, Joe Kopena, Joel Bender, John Graybeal, John Morris, Josh Lieberman, Judith Gelernter, Krzysztof Janowicz, Leo Obrst, Liana Kiff, Malek, Mark Underwood, Matthew West, Michael Grüninger, Mike Bobak, Mike Bennett, MikeBobak, Osman Bineev, Padi Sarala, PatrickOBrien, Peter P. Yim, Ram D. Sriram, Ravi Sharma, Richard Martin, Rokan, Steve Ray, Tara Athan, Terry Longstreth, Todd Schneider, Tom Tinsley, Veda Storey, Victor Agroskin, uri shani     (1J1)