From OntologPSMW

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - "[ ]MatthewWest[ ]" to " Matthew West ")
(Fix PurpleMediaWiki references)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
= OntologySummit2013: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - Thu 2013-05-23  =
+
= [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]]: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - Thu 2013-05-23  =
  
 
Summit Theme: '''"Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"'''  
 
Summit Theme: '''"Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"'''  
Line 10: Line 10:
  
 
* '''Dr. MatthewWest''' (Information Junction) - "'''Ontology Summit 2013: Reflections and thoughts for the Future'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-Reflections--MatthewWest_20130523.pdf slides]  
 
* '''Dr. MatthewWest''' (Information Junction) - "'''Ontology Summit 2013: Reflections and thoughts for the Future'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-Reflections--MatthewWest_20130523.pdf slides]  
* '''Mr. PeterYim''' (Ontolog; CIM3) - "'''Reflections on the OntologySummit Numbers'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013_Analytics-Reflections--PeterYim_20130523.pdf slides]  
+
* '''Mr. PeterYim''' (Ontolog; CIM3) - "'''Reflections on the [[OntologySummit|Ontology Summit]] Numbers'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013_Analytics-Reflections--PeterYim_20130523.pdf slides]  
 
* '''Dr. AmandaVizedom''' (Ind. Consultant) & '''Dr. FabianNeuhaus''' (NIST) - "'''Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013_Communique]]'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-Communique-followup--AmandaVizedom-FabianNeuhaus_20130523.pdf slides]  
 
* '''Dr. AmandaVizedom''' (Ind. Consultant) & '''Dr. FabianNeuhaus''' (NIST) - "'''Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013_Communique]]'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-Communique-followup--AmandaVizedom-FabianNeuhaus_20130523.pdf slides]  
 
* '''Mr. TerryLongstreth''' (Ind. Consultant) - "'''A Quick Reference to Virtual Summit Session Content'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013/OntologySummit2013_ConsolidatedPresentationQuickReference_20130523.html webpage]  
 
* '''Mr. TerryLongstreth''' (Ind. Consultant) - "'''A Quick Reference to Virtual Summit Session Content'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013/OntologySummit2013_ConsolidatedPresentationQuickReference_20130523.html webpage]  
* '''Dr. MarcelaVegetti''' (INGAR, Argentina) - "'''Follow-up and action plans for the OntologySummit2013 Website(s)'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/Website-Team-follow-up-actions--MarcelaVegetti_20130523c.pdf slides]  
+
* '''Dr. MarcelaVegetti''' (INGAR, Argentina) - "'''Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]] Website(s)'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/Website-Team-follow-up-actions--MarcelaVegetti_20130523c.pdf slides]  
 
* '''Dr. AmandaVizedom''' (Ind. Consultant) - "'''Follow-up and action plans for the Ontology of Ontology Evaluation'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/Ontology-of-Ontology-Evaluation-Follow-Up--AmandaVizedom_20130523.pdf slides]  
 
* '''Dr. AmandaVizedom''' (Ind. Consultant) - "'''Follow-up and action plans for the Ontology of Ontology Evaluation'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/Ontology-of-Ontology-Evaluation-Follow-Up--AmandaVizedom_20130523.pdf slides]  
 
* '''ALL''' - Discussion-1: "'''OntologySummit2013 - What went well and what needs to be improved?'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-postmortem-questions--MatthewWest-MichaelGruninger_20130523.pdf slides]  
 
* '''ALL''' - Discussion-1: "'''OntologySummit2013 - What went well and what needs to be improved?'''"  [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-postmortem-questions--MatthewWest-MichaelGruninger_20130523.pdf slides]  
Line 78: Line 78:
 
** [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Grüninger]] (co-chair)  
 
** [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Grüninger]] (co-chair)  
 
** [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] (co-chair)  
 
** [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] (co-chair)  
** RamSriram  
+
** [[RamSriram|Ram D. Sriram]]
 
** [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]]  
 
** [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]]  
** AmandaVizedom  
+
** [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]
** FabianNeuhaus  
+
** [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]]
** TerryLongstreth  
+
** [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]
 
** [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]  
 
** [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]  
 
** [[User:KennethBaclawski|Ken Baclawski]]  
 
** [[User:KennethBaclawski|Ken Baclawski]]  
** MarcelaVegetti  
+
** [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]]
 
** [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]  
 
** [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]  
** BobSmith  
+
** [[BobSmith|Bob Smith]]
** BobbinTeegarden  
+
** [[BobbinTeegarden|Bobbin Teegarden]]
 
** [[AstridDuqueRamos]]  
 
** [[AstridDuqueRamos]]  
** OliverKutz  
+
** [[OliverKutz|Oliver Kutz]]
** LamarHenderson  
+
** [[LamarHenderson|Lamar Henderson]]
 
** [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] (partially, on phone)  
 
** [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] (partially, on phone)  
  
 
* Expecting:  
 
* Expecting:  
** MikeBennett (will be 1/2h late)  
+
** [[MikeBennett|Mike Bennett]] (will be 1/2h late)  
 
*   
 
*   
** ''please add yourself to the list if you are a member of the [[WikiHomePage|Ontolog]] or OntologySummit community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with your affiliation.''  
+
** ''please add yourself to the list if you are a member of the [[WikiHomePage|Ontolog]] or [[OntologySummit|Ontology Summit]] community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with your affiliation.''  
  
 
* Regrets:  
 
* Regrets:  
** AliHashemi (on camping trip)  
+
** [[AliHashemi|Ali Hashemi]] (on camping trip)  
 
** [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]] (on sailing trip)  
 
** [[SteveRay|Steve Ray]] (on sailing trip)  
** MichaelDenny  
+
** [[MichaelDenny|Michael Denny]]
 
** ...  
 
** ...  
  
Line 113: Line 113:
 
The event today is our virtual postmortem session. We will be expecting participants of this year's summit, especially members of the organizing team, as well as anyone interested in the process of content of past and future Ontology Summits, at this session.  
 
The event today is our virtual postmortem session. We will be expecting participants of this year's summit, especially members of the organizing team, as well as anyone interested in the process of content of past and future Ontology Summits, at this session.  
  
The goal of this session is to revisit the Ontology Summit that just finished, and to plan ahead for the future. We will discuss what worked and what can be improved during the 4 months of OntologySummit2013 (plus the preparation work that led up to it,) and get ideas on how to make next year's Ontology Summit even better. This meeting gives us an opportunity to develop some plans and initiatives for action that will move what we have achieved beyond the 4-month Summit itself. Further, this meeting is also an opportunity to suggest topics and themes for next year's Ontology Summit.  
+
The goal of this session is to revisit the Ontology Summit that just finished, and to plan ahead for the future. We will discuss what worked and what can be improved during the 4 months of [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]] (plus the preparation work that led up to it,) and get ideas on how to make next year's Ontology Summit even better. This meeting gives us an opportunity to develop some plans and initiatives for action that will move what we have achieved beyond the 4-month Summit itself. Further, this meeting is also an opportunity to suggest topics and themes for next year's Ontology Summit.  
  
 
See also: '''OntologySummit''' (home page for the summit series) and document your thoughts at: '''[[OntologySummit/Suggestions]]'''  
 
See also: '''OntologySummit''' (home page for the summit series) and document your thoughts at: '''[[OntologySummit/Suggestions]]'''  
Line 138: Line 138:
 
* ''Session Format:'' this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call  
 
* ''Session Format:'' this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call  
  
* 1. Summary report and reflections on the OntologySummit2013 (co-chairs) - [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] & [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]  (10 min. each) ... [ slides]  
+
* 1. Summary report and reflections on the [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]] (co-chairs) - [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] & [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]  (10 min. each) ... [ slides]  
  
 
* 2. Ongoing Follow-up activities - (presentations to help kick-off the discussion)  (~7 min. each)  
 
* 2. Ongoing Follow-up activities - (presentations to help kick-off the discussion)  (~7 min. each)  
** 2.1 Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013_Communique]] - AmandaVizedom, FabianNeuhaus  
+
** 2.1 Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013_Communique]] - [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]], [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]]
** 2.2 A Quick Reference to Virtual Summit Session Content - TerryLongstreth  
+
** 2.2 A Quick Reference to Virtual Summit Session Content - [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]
** 2.3 Follow-up and action plans for the website development - MarcelaVegetti  
+
** 2.3 Follow-up and action plans for the website development - [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]]
** 2.4 Follow-up and action plans for the "Ontology of Ontology Evaluation" development - AmandaVizedom  
+
** 2.4 Follow-up and action plans for the "Ontology of Ontology Evaluation" development - [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]
  
 
* 3. Open discussion-I: Postmortem of this year's summit - Moderator: [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]] & [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] - All ... (20 min) [ ref. process above]  
 
* 3. Open discussion-I: Postmortem of this year's summit - Moderator: [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]] & [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] - All ... (20 min) [ ref. process above]  
Line 155: Line 155:
 
** suggestions for themes, process, people, ...  
 
** suggestions for themes, process, people, ...  
 
*** capture your thoughts in the chat now and (later) at: [http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit/Suggestions Suggestions] for Ontology Summit 2014  
 
*** capture your thoughts in the chat now and (later) at: [http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit/Suggestions Suggestions] for Ontology Summit 2014  
** anything else - follow-ups or in preparation for OntologySummit2014  
+
** anything else - follow-ups or in preparation for [[OntologySummit2014|Ontology Summit 2014]]
  
 
* 6. Once again ... a solicitation to endorse the Communique if you haven't already done so  
 
* 6. Once again ... a solicitation to endorse the Communique if you haven't already done so  
Line 176: Line 176:
 
-- begin in-session chat-transcript --  
 
-- begin in-session chat-transcript --  
  
[09:32] PeterYim: Welcome to the  
+
[09:32] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: Welcome to the  
  
''' OntologySummit2013: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - Thu 2013-05-23 '''  
+
''' [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]]: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - Thu 2013-05-23 '''  
  
 
Summit Theme: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"  
 
Summit Theme: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"  
  
Session Topic: OntologySummit2013 (postmortem) review and follow-up action planning  
+
Session Topic: [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]] (postmortem) review and follow-up action planning  
  
 
Session Co-chairs: Dr. [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] & Professor [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]  
 
Session Co-chairs: Dr. [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] & Professor [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]  
Line 190: Line 190:
 
* Dr. [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] (Information Junction) - "Ontology Summit 2013: Reflections and thoughts for the Future"  
 
* Dr. [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] (Information Junction) - "Ontology Summit 2013: Reflections and thoughts for the Future"  
  
* Mr. [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]] (Ontolog; CIM3) - "Reflections on the OntologySummit Numbers"  
+
* Mr. [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]] (Ontolog; CIM3) - "Reflections on the [[OntologySummit|Ontology Summit]] Numbers"  
  
* Dr. FabianNeuhaus (NIST) & Dr. AmandaVizedom (Ind. Consultant) - "Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013_Communique]]"  
+
* Dr. [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]] (NIST) & Dr. [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]] (Ind. Consultant) - "Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013_Communique]]"  
  
* Mr. TerryLongstreth (Ind. Consultant) - "A Quick Reference to Virtual Summit Session Content"  
+
* Mr. [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]] (Ind. Consultant) - "A Quick Reference to Virtual Summit Session Content"  
  
* Dr. MarcelaVegetti (INGAR, Argentina) - "Follow-up and action plans for the OntologySummit2013 Website(s)"  
+
* Dr. [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]] (INGAR, Argentina) - "Follow-up and action plans for the [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]] Website(s)"  
  
* Dr. AmandaVizedom (Ind. Consultant) - "Follow-up and action plans for the Ontology of Ontology Evaluation"  
+
* Dr. [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]] (Ind. Consultant) - "Follow-up and action plans for the Ontology of Ontology Evaluation"  
  
 
* ALL - Discussion-1: "OntologySummit2013 - What went well and what needs to be improved?"  
 
* ALL - Discussion-1: "OntologySummit2013 - What went well and what needs to be improved?"  
Line 206: Line 206:
 
Session page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_05_23  
 
Session page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_05_23  
  
Attendees: [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] (co-chair), [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]] (co-chair), AmandaVizedom, [[AstridDuqueRamos]],  
+
Attendees: [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]] (co-chair), [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]] (co-chair), [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]], [[AstridDuqueRamos]],  
  
BobSmith, BobbinTeegarden, FabianNeuhaus, KenBaclawski, LamarHenderson (on phone only),  
+
[[BobSmith|Bob Smith]], [[BobbinTeegarden|Bobbin Teegarden]], [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]], [[User:KennethBaclawski|Ken Baclawski]], [[LamarHenderson|Lamar Henderson]] (on phone only),  
  
LeoObrst (partially, on phone only), MarcelaVegetti, MikeDean, OliverKutz, PeterYim, RamSriram,  
+
[[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] (partially, on phone only), [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]], [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]], [[OliverKutz|Oliver Kutz]], [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]], [[RamSriram|Ram D. Sriram]],  
  
TerryLongstreth, [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]  
+
[[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]], [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]  
  
 
''' Proceedings '''  
 
''' Proceedings '''  
  
[09:38] TerryLongstreth: I've sent Matthew a reminder  
+
[09:38] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: I've sent Matthew a reminder  
  
[09:39] MatthewWest: Sorry I'm late. PC crashed and died slowly just as I was logging on.  
+
[09:39] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: Sorry I'm late. PC crashed and died slowly just as I was logging on.  
  
[09:43] TerryLongstreth: Can someone roll the VNC, please?  
+
[09:43] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: Can someone roll the VNC, please?  
  
[09:44] PeterYim: @Terry - the vnc should be working properly ... try refreshing the vnc viewer  
+
[09:44] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @Terry - the vnc should be working properly ... try refreshing the vnc viewer  
  
 
window (not refreshing your browser)  
 
window (not refreshing your browser)  
  
[09:46] PeterYim: @Terry - is it working ok now?  
+
[09:46] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @Terry - is it working ok now?  
  
[09:52] FabianNeuhaus: @Peter - (commenting on Peter's remark, during his presentation that the  
+
[09:52] [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]]: @Peter - (commenting on Peter's remark, during his presentation that the  
  
 
list of Communique co-editors represented most members of the organizing committee) this year  
 
list of Communique co-editors represented most members of the organizing committee) this year  
Line 234: Line 234:
 
the co-editors = the org. committee  
 
the co-editors = the org. committee  
  
[10:03] MichaelGruninger: Comment on Peter's slide 9: Who are the intended audiences for the  
+
[10:03] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: Comment on Peter's slide 9: Who are the intended audiences for the  
  
 
Ontology Summit?  
 
Ontology Summit?  
  
[10:05] MatthewWest: I agree about the improved effectiveness. I think this is because the core  
+
[10:05] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: I agree about the improved effectiveness. I think this is because the core  
  
 
people are not only dedicated, but have got to know and understand and respect each other. That  
 
people are not only dedicated, but have got to know and understand and respect each other. That  
Line 244: Line 244:
 
reduces the noise considerably. The respect means we trust each other, and that helps too.  
 
reduces the noise considerably. The respect means we trust each other, and that helps too.  
  
[10:05] anonymous morphed into BobbinTeegarden  
+
[10:05] anonymous morphed into [[BobbinTeegarden|Bobbin Teegarden]]
  
[10:05] AmandaVizedom: Peter, I see one more slide -- are you saving that for later?  
+
[10:05] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Peter, I see one more slide -- are you saving that for later?  
  
[10:18] PeterYim: @Amanda - (ref. one more slide) thank you for catching this, that slide doesn't  
+
[10:18] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @Amanda - (ref. one more slide) thank you for catching this, that slide doesn't  
  
 
belong here. I will be updating the file and remove it from the deck.  
 
belong here. I will be updating the file and remove it from the deck.  
  
[10:07] MichaelGruninger: The volume of email discussions this year was disappointingly low  
+
[10:07] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: The volume of email discussions this year was disappointingly low  
  
[10:08] AmandaVizedom: Interesting question about email levels - not sure that's easiest - can feel  
+
[10:08] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Interesting question about email levels - not sure that's easiest - can feel  
  
 
like black hole and/or way to trigger unproductive discussion -- association with ontolog forum  
 
like black hole and/or way to trigger unproductive discussion -- association with ontolog forum  
Line 260: Line 260:
 
issues. Return to this question later?  
 
issues. Return to this question later?  
  
[10:10] AmandaVizedom: Point for later discussion: reach out to folks who have been involved in the  
+
[10:10] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Point for later discussion: reach out to folks who have been involved in the  
  
 
past (every) and aren't now. Get feedback on why; invite them to make suggestions; ask them to check  
 
past (every) and aren't now. Get feedback on why; invite them to make suggestions; ask them to check  
Line 266: Line 266:
 
in again?  
 
in again?  
  
[10:12] MichaelGruninger: I sometimes felt that the Organizing Committee was doing too much work,  
+
[10:12] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: I sometimes felt that the Organizing Committee was doing too much work,  
  
 
filling in the lack of input from the overall group of participants  
 
filling in the lack of input from the overall group of participants  
  
[10:17] MichaelGruninger: If we have a longer lead time for the next Summit, perhaps we could have a  
+
[10:17] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: If we have a longer lead time for the next Summit, perhaps we could have a  
  
 
period in which there is more discussion of the topics before the different Tracks are identified  
 
period in which there is more discussion of the topics before the different Tracks are identified  
  
[10:18] MichaelGruninger: Amanda's comment on slide 2: we need better alignment of presentation  
+
[10:18] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: Amanda's comment on slide 2: we need better alignment of presentation  
  
 
content with Track topics  
 
content with Track topics  
  
[10:22] MatthewWest: @Michael: I agree, but how do you do that? Each speaker has their own agenda,  
+
[10:22] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: @Michael: I agree, but how do you do that? Each speaker has their own agenda,  
  
 
and there is very little in the current set up we can do to vet. We would have to move to a refereed  
 
and there is very little in the current set up we can do to vet. We would have to move to a refereed  
Line 284: Line 284:
 
conference with vetted presentations/papers to significantly improve this I think.  
 
conference with vetted presentations/papers to significantly improve this I think.  
  
[10:23] PeterYim: @Amanda & ALL - the Analytics slides deck has now been updated (still 9 slides,  
+
[10:23] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @Amanda & ALL - the Analytics slides deck has now been updated (still 9 slides,  
  
 
but the extraneous one has been removed.)  
 
but the extraneous one has been removed.)  
  
[10:27] ToddSchneider: @Amanda, (referring to Amanda's comment that google-docs facilitates input,  
+
[10:27] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: @Amanda, (referring to Amanda's comment that google-docs facilitates input,  
  
 
but makes editing more difficult) Ali and I had the same situation last year (using Google Docs).  
 
but makes editing more difficult) Ali and I had the same situation last year (using Google Docs).  
  
[10:29] PeterYim: Amanda: (breaking news!) the [http://semtechbizsf2012.semanticweb.com/ [[SemTechBizSF]]] lightning talk on Jun-3 is now confirmed  
+
[10:29] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: Amanda: (breaking news!) the [http://semtechbizsf2012.semanticweb.com/ [[SemTechBizSF]]] lightning talk on Jun-3 is now confirmed  
  
 
[ref slide#6]  
 
[ref slide#6]  
  
[10:29] PeterYim: Amanda: suggest extending the Communique Endorsement deadline (beyond Jun-3, so  
+
[10:29] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: Amanda: suggest extending the Communique Endorsement deadline (beyond Jun-3, so  
  
 
she those at [http://semtechbizsf2012.semanticweb.com/ [[SemTechBizSF]]] may have a chance to endorse the Communique too) ... general response is "sure!"  
 
she those at [http://semtechbizsf2012.semanticweb.com/ [[SemTechBizSF]]] may have a chance to endorse the Communique too) ... general response is "sure!"  
  
[10:33] ToddSchneider: Peter, Terry summary should be on the main 2013 summit page.  
+
[10:33] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Peter, Terry summary should be on the main 2013 summit page.  
  
[10:33] ToddSchneider: Terry, Great work!  
+
[10:33] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Terry, Great work!  
  
[10:34] FabianNeuhaus: @Todd I agree. I think this should be part of the OS website as well.  
+
[10:34] [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]]: @Todd I agree. I think this should be part of the OS website as well.  
  
[10:34] MichaelGruninger: Hello Marcela -- are you on the conference call? *7 to unmute  
+
[10:34] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: Hello Marcela -- are you on the conference call? *7 to unmute  
  
[10:34] MarcelaVegetti: yes  
+
[10:34] [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]]: yes  
  
[10:35] MarcelaVegetti: I'm on skype.  
+
[10:35] [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]]: I'm on skype.  
  
[10:35] ToddSchneider: Marcela, great reverb.  
+
[10:35] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Marcela, great reverb.  
  
[10:50] PeterYim: @TerryLongstreth & MarcelaVegetti - some merger of your contents at [1] & [2]  
+
[10:50] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @TerryLongstreth & [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]] - some merger of your contents at [1] & [2]  
  
 
would be useful ...  
 
would be useful ...  
Line 322: Line 322:
 
[2] http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013/telecons.html  
 
[2] http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013/telecons.html  
  
[10:52] MarcelaVegetti: @Peter, I was thinking of that while Terry was talking  
+
[10:52] [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]]: @Peter, I was thinking of that while Terry was talking  
  
[10:57] ToddSchneider: When do we get to subject for the next summit?  
+
[10:57] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: When do we get to subject for the next summit?  
  
[10:57] PeterYim: == Discussion: What went well? What could be improved?  
+
[10:57] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == Discussion: What went well? What could be improved?  
  
[10:58] PeterYim: ref. [7-Discussion] slides - slide 2 & 3 -  
+
[10:58] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: ref. [7-Discussion] slides - slide 2 & 3 -  
  
 
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-postmortem-questions--MatthewWest-MichaelGruninger_20130523.pdf  
 
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-05-23_OntologySummit2013_follow-up/OntologySummit2013-postmortem-questions--MatthewWest-MichaelGruninger_20130523.pdf  
  
[10:59] MatthewWest: The Tracks: Generally good quality presentations.  
+
[10:59] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: The Tracks: Generally good quality presentations.  
  
[11:00] MichaelGruninger: How can we increase the quantity and quality of discussions (both during  
+
[11:00] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: How can we increase the quantity and quality of discussions (both during  
  
 
live sessions and via email posts)?  
 
live sessions and via email posts)?  
  
[11:00] MatthewWest: The Communique: Took the summit forward.  
+
[11:00] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: The Communique: Took the summit forward.  
  
[11:02] AmandaVizedom: I agree with Fabian that we should have more discussion *in* the sessions,  
+
[11:02] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: I agree with Fabian that we should have more discussion *in* the sessions,  
  
 
and not overpack the sessions with panelists or presenters.  
 
and not overpack the sessions with panelists or presenters.  
  
[11:02] PeterYim: (re. "What went well?") - there was a resounding agreement from the OOR team (from  
+
[11:02] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: (re. "What went well?") - there was a resounding agreement from the OOR team (from  
  
 
our May-21 team meeting) that the Hackathon (H-C) was great ... we even agreed that the OOR team  
 
our May-21 team meeting) that the Hackathon (H-C) was great ... we even agreed that the OOR team  
Line 350: Line 350:
 
will start doing regular hackathons and have assigned champions to steward them  
 
will start doing regular hackathons and have assigned champions to steward them  
  
[11:02] TerryLongstreth: @Peter, Marcela. I intentionally focused on the actual presentations. The  
+
[11:02] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: @Peter, Marcela. I intentionally focused on the actual presentations. The  
  
 
second column has pointers to the Session agenda pages. So I'm not sure if diluting the page with  
 
second column has pointers to the Session agenda pages. So I'm not sure if diluting the page with  
Line 360: Line 360:
 
initial impression offered by it.  
 
initial impression offered by it.  
  
[11:08] MarcelaVegetti: @Terry, Peter, May be we can change the telecons.html page of the website  
+
[11:08] [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]]: @Terry, Peter, May be we can change the telecons.html page of the website  
  
 
with the one proposed by Terry  
 
with the one proposed by Terry  
  
[subsequent] PeterYim: since the "pretty" website is essentially designed to address an outside  
+
[subsequent] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: since the "pretty" website is essentially designed to address an outside  
  
 
(non-ontologist) audience, I would suggest that, for now, it would probably suffice for us just to  
 
(non-ontologist) audience, I would suggest that, for now, it would probably suffice for us just to  
Line 372: Line 372:
 
of our time (like Marcela's working on semantic queries and search, etc.)  
 
of our time (like Marcela's working on semantic queries and search, etc.)  
  
[subsequent] TerryLongstreth: One other thing that I would find useful would be to put a link to the  
+
[subsequent] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: One other thing that I would find useful would be to put a link to the  
  
 
Quick Reference on the Resources page  
 
Quick Reference on the Resources page  
  
[subsequent] PeterYim; @Terry, Marcela, Todd [10:33] and Fabian [10:34] - Done! See:  
+
[subsequent] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]; @Terry, Marcela, Todd [10:33] and Fabian [10:34] - Done! See:  
  
 
http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013/telecons.html ;  
 
http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013/telecons.html ;  
Line 386: Line 386:
 
( =ppy/2013.05.27 )  
 
( =ppy/2013.05.27 )  
  
[11:03] AmandaVizedom: Accompanying point: we might not lose so much if we are more selective about  
+
[11:03] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Accompanying point: we might not lose so much if we are more selective about  
  
 
what is presented.  
 
what is presented.  
  
[11:04] AmandaVizedom: We also might include presentations that are in effect summaries of the work  
+
[11:04] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: We also might include presentations that are in effect summaries of the work  
  
 
of a number of people who we might otherwise have invited on their own.  
 
of a number of people who we might otherwise have invited on their own.  
  
[11:04] TerryLongstreth: I agree with Matthew - initial presentations were scattershot to give us a  
+
[11:04] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: I agree with Matthew - initial presentations were scattershot to give us a  
  
 
'Chinese menu' for followup.  
 
'Chinese menu' for followup.  
  
[11:05] AmandaVizedom: Note: alternating presentations, on the other hand, might give some room to  
+
[11:05] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Note: alternating presentations, on the other hand, might give some room to  
  
 
try to schedule future presentations responsively to the way the summit is evolving.  
 
try to schedule future presentations responsively to the way the summit is evolving.  
  
[11:06] ToddSchneider: All, we should bear in mind that this year's summit subject is somewhat out  
+
[11:06] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: All, we should bear in mind that this year's summit subject is somewhat out  
  
 
of the norm, or at least not a primary interest to ontology developers.  
 
of the norm, or at least not a primary interest to ontology developers.  
  
[11:08] AmandaVizedom: @Todd, I don't think that's true (the primary interest part).  
+
[11:08] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: @Todd, I don't think that's true (the primary interest part).  
  
[11:08] ToddSchneider: Amanda, certainly not for you:)  
+
[11:08] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Amanda, certainly not for you:)  
  
[11:08] AmandaVizedom: Not for a great number of ontologists I know  
+
[11:08] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Not for a great number of ontologists I know  
  
[11:10] FabianNeuhaus: @Peter: (responding to PeterYim's verbal comment that the presentations added  
+
[11:10] [[FabianNeuhaus|Fabian Neuhaus]]: @Peter: (responding to PeterYim's verbal comment that the presentations added  
  
 
hugely to the collective body-of-knowledge on this particular subject, as well as to the entire  
 
hugely to the collective body-of-knowledge on this particular subject, as well as to the entire  
Line 420: Line 420:
 
think of ways to have more interactions.  
 
think of ways to have more interactions.  
  
[11:12] MarcelaVegetti: Unfortunately, I have to go.  
+
[11:12] [[MarcelaVegetti|Marcela Vegetti]]: Unfortunately, I have to go.  
  
[11:14] PeterYim: @Marcela - bye ... thank you  
+
[11:14] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @Marcela - bye ... thank you  
  
[11:15] MichaelGruninger: I didn't think that the Keynote topics were relevant to the Summit topic  
+
[11:15] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: I didn't think that the Keynote topics were relevant to the Summit topic  
  
 
(just my personal opinion)  
 
(just my personal opinion)  
  
[11:15] ToddSchneider: The keynotes were good, but not 'close' to the summit's subject.  
+
[11:15] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: The keynotes were good, but not 'close' to the summit's subject.  
  
[11:16] AmandaVizedom: (Why) Do we need to have keynotes at all?  
+
[11:16] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: (Why) Do we need to have keynotes at all?  
  
[11:16] PeterYim: (despite what others think) personally, I think the keynotes were among the "best"  
+
[11:16] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: (despite what others think) personally, I think the keynotes were among the "best"  
  
 
parts of the Symposium  
 
parts of the Symposium  
  
[11:16] TerryLongstreth: Fabian's right - how do you invite an expert who's not already in the  
+
[11:16] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: Fabian's right - how do you invite an expert who's not already in the  
  
 
(conceptual) room?  
 
(conceptual) room?  
  
[11:17] TerryLongstreth: And the keynotes gave us viewpoints that were outside of the ontology  
+
[11:17] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: And the keynotes gave us viewpoints that were outside of the ontology  
  
 
community's comfort zone  
 
community's comfort zone  
  
[11:20] RamSriram: One possible way to resolve the keynotes problem is to replace it with a panel on  
+
[11:20] [[RamSriram|Ram D. Sriram]]: One possible way to resolve the keynotes problem is to replace it with a panel on  
  
 
potential funding opportunities for next year (as it will held near downtown).  
 
potential funding opportunities for next year (as it will held near downtown).  
  
[11:18] PeterYim: == Michael: what should we do next year ... choice of "Topic" first ... please  
+
[11:18] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == Michael: what should we do next year ... choice of "Topic" first ... please  
  
 
type suggestions below  
 
type suggestions below  
  
[11:16] ToddSchneider: How about Reasoning or Ontologies and/for Reasoning for the subject of the  
+
[11:16] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: How about Reasoning or Ontologies and/for Reasoning for the subject of the  
  
 
next summit?  
 
next summit?  
  
[11:19] AmandaVizedom: Todd: Semantic Federation  
+
[11:19] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Todd: Semantic Federation  
  
[11:20] AmandaVizedom: Todd: Reasoning over Linked Data  
+
[11:20] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: Todd: Reasoning over Linked Data  
  
[11:20] ToddSchneider: The value of ontology in linked data?  
+
[11:20] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: The value of ontology in linked data?  
  
[11:21] MichaelGruninger: I was thinking of using a domain (such as E-Science) as a way of  
+
[11:21] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]]: I was thinking of using a domain (such as E-Science) as a way of  
  
 
addressing issues such as reusability, reasoning,, evaluation  
 
addressing issues such as reusability, reasoning,, evaluation  
  
[11:23] ToddSchneider: Big data semantic federation?  
+
[11:23] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Big data semantic federation?  
  
[11:24] ToddSchneider: Reasoning with big linked data for semantic federation?  
+
[11:24] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Reasoning with big linked data for semantic federation?  
  
[11:24] TerryLongstreth: Does anyone remember how the VLDB conferences started? I think Big Data's  
+
[11:24] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: Does anyone remember how the VLDB conferences started? I think Big Data's  
  
 
on the same trajectory.  
 
on the same trajectory.  
  
[11:25] RamSriram: @Amanda: Can you elaborate on what you mean by reasoning on linked data?  
+
[11:25] [[RamSriram|Ram D. Sriram]]: @Amanda: Can you elaborate on what you mean by reasoning on linked data?  
  
[11:33] AmandaVizedom: @Ram, e.g. consuming published linked data and using it in a mashup app that  
+
[11:33] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: @Ram, e.g. consuming published linked data and using it in a mashup app that  
  
 
performs some query answering / semantic search functions. E.g., finding resources across  
 
performs some query answering / semantic search functions. E.g., finding resources across  
Line 490: Line 490:
 
Library-Archives-Museums LOD).  
 
Library-Archives-Museums LOD).  
  
[11:35] AmandaVizedom: That all requires some reasoning over Linked (open) Data, where such LOD is  
+
[11:35] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: That all requires some reasoning over Linked (open) Data, where such LOD is  
  
 
already being published. At the same time, there are live issues, within the LOD / SemWeb  
 
already being published. At the same time, there are live issues, within the LOD / SemWeb  
Line 498: Line 498:
 
weaknesses of particular ontologies).  
 
weaknesses of particular ontologies).  
  
[11:38] RamSriram: @Amanda: May be then the workshop should focus on Linked data, its relationship  
+
[11:38] [[RamSriram|Ram D. Sriram]]: @Amanda: May be then the workshop should focus on Linked data, its relationship  
  
 
to Ontologies, and Reasoning over this.  
 
to Ontologies, and Reasoning over this.  
  
[11:44] AmandaVizedom: @Ram, possibly, but we want to make clear we are putting the ontology-linked  
+
[11:44] [[AmandaVizedom|Amanda Vizedom]]: @Ram, possibly, but we want to make clear we are putting the ontology-linked  
  
 
data and reasoning-linked data relationships first. Or at least, like we aren't jumping in as if it  
 
data and reasoning-linked data relationships first. Or at least, like we aren't jumping in as if it  
Line 508: Line 508:
 
were a fresh field, ignoring the people who really are experts in Linked Data and LOD.  
 
were a fresh field, ignoring the people who really are experts in Linked Data and LOD.  
  
[11:26] ToddSchneider: Amanda, that get's back to Peter's observation on our poor PR capabilities.  
+
[11:26] [[ToddSchneider|Todd Schneider]]: Amanda, that get's back to Peter's observation on our poor PR capabilities.  
  
[11:28] TerryLongstreth: Peter says two separate summits: external and internal. I say summits could  
+
[11:28] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: Peter says two separate summits: external and internal. I say summits could  
  
 
be a bridge between them.  
 
be a bridge between them.  
  
[11:29] MatthewWest: I agree with Peter we need to choose between internal or external. I would go  
+
[11:29] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: I agree with Peter we need to choose between internal or external. I would go  
  
 
for alternating.  
 
for alternating.  
  
[11:30] MatthewWest: My idea on spreading it out is not to make it more than three months, but 1  
+
[11:30] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: My idea on spreading it out is not to make it more than three months, but 1  
  
 
month 3 times with gaps in between.  
 
month 3 times with gaps in between.  
  
[11:30] TerryLongstreth: Maybe change the balance and make hackathons the major activity for future summits?  
+
[11:30] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: Maybe change the balance and make hackathons the major activity for future summits?  
  
[11:33] PeterYim: == Michael: what should we do next year ... let's discuss "the Schedule"  
+
[11:33] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == Michael: what should we do next year ... let's discuss "the Schedule"  
  
[11:33] MatthewWest: So two events with different names each every two years.  
+
[11:33] [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: So two events with different names each every two years.  
  
[11:34] TerryLongstreth: With each year having ONE presentation or session covering salient aspects  
+
[11:34] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: With each year having ONE presentation or session covering salient aspects  
  
 
of the non-focus topic  
 
of the non-focus topic  
  
[11:34] PeterYim: Michael: ... let's run a "topic" brainstorm session in September  
+
[11:34] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: Michael: ... let's run a "topic" brainstorm session in September  
  
[11:43] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]] / MatthewWest: September 19th will be the date for the initial  
+
[11:43] [[MichaelGruninger|Michael Gr&uuml;ninger]] / [[MatthewWest|Matthew West]]: September 19th will be the date for the initial  
  
brainstorming session for OntologySummit2014 potential topics ... an open meeting as usual (not just  
+
brainstorming session for [[OntologySummit2014|Ontology Summit 2014]] potential topics ... an open meeting as usual (not just  
  
 
limited to organizers)  
 
limited to organizers)  
  
[11:35] PeterYim: Michael: we could leave "the summit" on the same duration (~3 months) but stretch  
+
[11:35] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: Michael: we could leave "the summit" on the same duration (~3 months) but stretch  
  
 
out the planning  
 
out the planning  
  
[11:37] PeterYim: @Astrid ... I don't think we have received your Communique endorsement yet, would  
+
[11:37] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @Astrid ... I don't think we have received your Communique endorsement yet, would  
  
 
you consider endorsing, please?  
 
you consider endorsing, please?  
Line 550: Line 550:
 
[11:38] [[AstridDuqueRamos]]: Hi Peter. Yes, Ill endorse, but I want to review it before  
 
[11:38] [[AstridDuqueRamos]]: Hi Peter. Yes, Ill endorse, but I want to review it before  
  
[11:38] PeterYim: @Astrid ... thank you, don't mean to rush you  
+
[11:38] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @Astrid ... thank you, don't mean to rush you  
  
[11:42] TerryLongstreth: It would also be useful to have a session at each summit that reviewed and  
+
[11:42] [[TerryLongstreth|Terry Longstreth]]: It would also be useful to have a session at each summit that reviewed and  
  
 
reported status of previous summits.  
 
reported status of previous summits.  
  
[11:44] PeterYim: great session!  
+
[11:44] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: great session!  
  
[11:44] PeterYim: -- session ended: 11:44am PDT --  
+
[11:44] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: -- session ended: 11:44am PDT --  
  
 
-- end of in-session chat-transcript --  
 
-- end of in-session chat-transcript --  
Line 579: Line 579:
 
* [[OntologySummit2013_Survey]] - [http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/Category:OntologySummit2013_Survey Survey and Responses] . [http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/OntologySummit2013_SurveySummary Response Summary]  
 
* [[OntologySummit2013_Survey]] - [http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/Category:OntologySummit2013_Survey Survey and Responses] . [http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/OntologySummit2013_SurveySummary Response Summary]  
 
* Ontology Summit 2013 Community Library - http://www.zotero.org/groups/ontologysummit2013  
 
* Ontology Summit 2013 Community Library - http://www.zotero.org/groups/ontologysummit2013  
* OntologySummit website  
+
* [[OntologySummit|Ontology Summit]] website  
 
** ''(public facing)'' website - http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013  
 
** ''(public facing)'' website - http://ontolog.cim3.net/OntologySummit/2013  
 
** ''(semantically driven)'' developing wiki-site - http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/OntologySummit2013  
 
** ''(semantically driven)'' developing wiki-site - http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/OntologySummit2013  
Line 585: Line 585:
 
* [ontology-summit] mailing list archives - http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/  
 
* [ontology-summit] mailing list archives - http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/  
 
** to subscribe to this discussion list: send a blank message from your subscribing email address to <ontology-summit-join@ontolog.cim3.net> or visit http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontology-summit/ and subscribe yourself there  
 
** to subscribe to this discussion list: send a blank message from your subscribing email address to <ontology-summit-join@ontolog.cim3.net> or visit http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontology-summit/ and subscribe yourself there  
* Homepage of the Summit - see: OntologySummit  
+
* Homepage of the Summit - see: [[OntologySummit|Ontology Summit]]
  
 
----
 
----

Latest revision as of 02:43, 9 January 2016

[ ]

Contents

[edit] Ontology Summit 2013: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - Thu 2013-05-23     (1)

Summit Theme: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"     (1A)

Session Topic: OntologySummit2013 (postmortem) review and follow-up action planning     (1B)

Session Co-chairs: Dr. Matthew West & Professor MichaelGruninger     (1C)

Agenda / Briefings:     (1D)

  • Dial-in:     (1M8D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1M8D1)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1M8D2)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1M8D2A)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1M8D2B)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1M8D2B1)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1M8D2C)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1M8D2C1)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1M8D2C2)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1M8E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1M8E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1M8E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides above] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1M8E3)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1M8F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1M8F2)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) summit_20130523@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1M8F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1M8G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1M8G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1M8G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1M8G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1M8G4)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com with your affiliation appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community already.)     (1M8I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1M8K)

[edit] Attendees     (1N)

[edit] Abstract     (1O)

OntologySummit2013: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - [ intro slides]     (1O1)

With the adjournment of the OntologySummit2013_Symposium (on 3-May-2013) we have completed the program of this year's OntologySummit. This has been our 8th Ontology Summit, that featured a host of events spanning four months, and jointly organized by Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD with the championship from our organizing committee members and support of our co-sponsors. The theme adopted for this Ontology Summit was: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle."     (1O2)

The event today is our virtual postmortem session. We will be expecting participants of this year's summit, especially members of the organizing team, as well as anyone interested in the process of content of past and future Ontology Summits, at this session.     (1O3)

The goal of this session is to revisit the Ontology Summit that just finished, and to plan ahead for the future. We will discuss what worked and what can be improved during the 4 months of Ontology Summit 2013 (plus the preparation work that led up to it,) and get ideas on how to make next year's Ontology Summit even better. This meeting gives us an opportunity to develop some plans and initiatives for action that will move what we have achieved beyond the 4-month Summit itself. Further, this meeting is also an opportunity to suggest topics and themes for next year's Ontology Summit.     (1O4)

See also: OntologySummit (home page for the summit series) and document your thoughts at: OntologySummit/Suggestions     (1O5)

[edit] Agenda Ideas     (1P)

Ontology Summit 2013 - Postmortem Session     (1Q1)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1Q2)
  • 4. OntologySummit's in Numbers - peterYim ... (10 min)     (1Q6)
  • 6. Once again ... a solicitation to endorse the Communique if you haven't already done so     (1Q8)

[edit] Proceedings     (1R)

Please refer to the above     (1R1)

[edit] IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1R2)

see raw transcript here.     (1R2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1R2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1R2C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1R2D)

[09:32] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1R2E)

Ontology Summit 2013: ("postmortem") Review and Follow-up Action Planning Session - Thu 2013-05-23     (1R2F)

Summit Theme: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"     (1R2G)

Session Topic: Ontology Summit 2013 (postmortem) review and follow-up action planning     (1R2H)

Session Co-chairs: Dr. Matthew West & Professor Michael Grüninger     (1R2I)

Agenda / Briefings:     (1R2J)

  • ALL - Discussion-1: "OntologySummit2013 - What went well and what needs to be improved?"     (1R2Q)
  • ALL - Discussion-2: "OntologySummit2014 - Ideas and Suggestions?"     (1R2R)

Proceedings     (1R2X)

[09:38] Terry Longstreth: I've sent Matthew a reminder     (1R2Y)

[09:39] Matthew West: Sorry I'm late. PC crashed and died slowly just as I was logging on.     (1R2Z)

[09:43] Terry Longstreth: Can someone roll the VNC, please?     (1R2AA)

[09:44] Peter P. Yim: @Terry - the vnc should be working properly ... try refreshing the vnc viewer     (1R2AB)

window (not refreshing your browser)     (1R2AC)

[09:46] Peter P. Yim: @Terry - is it working ok now?     (1R2AD)

[09:52] Fabian Neuhaus: @Peter - (commenting on Peter's remark, during his presentation that the     (1R2AE)

list of Communique co-editors represented most members of the organizing committee) this year     (1R2AF)

the co-editors = the org. committee     (1R2AG)

[10:03] Michael Grüninger: Comment on Peter's slide 9: Who are the intended audiences for the     (1R2AH)

Ontology Summit?     (1R2AI)

[10:05] Matthew West: I agree about the improved effectiveness. I think this is because the core     (1R2AJ)

people are not only dedicated, but have got to know and understand and respect each other. That     (1R2AK)

reduces the noise considerably. The respect means we trust each other, and that helps too.     (1R2AL)

[10:05] anonymous morphed into Bobbin Teegarden     (1R2AM)

[10:05] Amanda Vizedom: Peter, I see one more slide -- are you saving that for later?     (1R2AN)

[10:18] Peter P. Yim: @Amanda - (ref. one more slide) thank you for catching this, that slide doesn't     (1R2AO)

belong here. I will be updating the file and remove it from the deck.     (1R2AP)

[10:07] Michael Grüninger: The volume of email discussions this year was disappointingly low     (1R2AQ)

[10:08] Amanda Vizedom: Interesting question about email levels - not sure that's easiest - can feel     (1R2AR)

like black hole and/or way to trigger unproductive discussion -- association with ontolog forum     (1R2AS)

issues. Return to this question later?     (1R2AT)

[10:10] Amanda Vizedom: Point for later discussion: reach out to folks who have been involved in the     (1R2AU)

past (every) and aren't now. Get feedback on why; invite them to make suggestions; ask them to check     (1R2AV)

in again?     (1R2AW)

[10:12] Michael Grüninger: I sometimes felt that the Organizing Committee was doing too much work,     (1R2AX)

filling in the lack of input from the overall group of participants     (1R2AY)

[10:17] Michael Grüninger: If we have a longer lead time for the next Summit, perhaps we could have a     (1R2AZ)

period in which there is more discussion of the topics before the different Tracks are identified     (1R2AAA)

[10:18] Michael Grüninger: Amanda's comment on slide 2: we need better alignment of presentation     (1R2AAB)

content with Track topics     (1R2AAC)

[10:22] Matthew West: @Michael: I agree, but how do you do that? Each speaker has their own agenda,     (1R2AAD)

and there is very little in the current set up we can do to vet. We would have to move to a refereed     (1R2AAE)

conference with vetted presentations/papers to significantly improve this I think.     (1R2AAF)

[10:23] Peter P. Yim: @Amanda & ALL - the Analytics slides deck has now been updated (still 9 slides,     (1R2AAG)

but the extraneous one has been removed.)     (1R2AAH)

[10:27] Todd Schneider: @Amanda, (referring to Amanda's comment that google-docs facilitates input,     (1R2AAI)

but makes editing more difficult) Ali and I had the same situation last year (using Google Docs).     (1R2AAJ)

[10:29] Peter P. Yim: Amanda: (breaking news!) the SemTechBizSF lightning talk on Jun-3 is now confirmed     (1R2AAK)

[ref slide#6]     (1R2AAL)

[10:29] Peter P. Yim: Amanda: suggest extending the Communique Endorsement deadline (beyond Jun-3, so     (1R2AAM)

she those at SemTechBizSF may have a chance to endorse the Communique too) ... general response is "sure!"     (1R2AAN)

[10:33] Todd Schneider: Peter, Terry summary should be on the main 2013 summit page.     (1R2AAO)

[10:33] Todd Schneider: Terry, Great work!     (1R2AAP)

[10:34] Fabian Neuhaus: @Todd I agree. I think this should be part of the OS website as well.     (1R2AAQ)

[10:34] Michael Grüninger: Hello Marcela -- are you on the conference call? *7 to unmute     (1R2AAR)

[10:35] Marcela Vegetti: I'm on skype.     (1R2AAT)

[10:35] Todd Schneider: Marcela, great reverb.     (1R2AAU)

[10:50] Peter P. Yim: @TerryLongstreth & Marcela Vegetti - some merger of your contents at [1] & [2]     (1R2AAV)

would be useful ...     (1R2AAW)

[10:52] Marcela Vegetti: @Peter, I was thinking of that while Terry was talking     (1R2AAZ)

[10:57] Todd Schneider: When do we get to subject for the next summit?     (1R2AAAA)

[10:57] Peter P. Yim: == Discussion: What went well? What could be improved?     (1R2AAAB)

[10:58] Peter P. Yim: ref. [7-Discussion] slides - slide 2 & 3 -     (1R2AAAC)

[10:59] Matthew West: The Tracks: Generally good quality presentations.     (1R2AAAE)

[11:00] Michael Grüninger: How can we increase the quantity and quality of discussions (both during     (1R2AAAF)

live sessions and via email posts)?     (1R2AAAG)

[11:00] Matthew West: The Communique: Took the summit forward.     (1R2AAAH)

[11:02] Amanda Vizedom: I agree with Fabian that we should have more discussion *in* the sessions,     (1R2AAAI)

and not overpack the sessions with panelists or presenters.     (1R2AAAJ)

[11:02] Peter P. Yim: (re. "What went well?") - there was a resounding agreement from the OOR team (from     (1R2AAAK)

our May-21 team meeting) that the Hackathon (H-C) was great ... we even agreed that the OOR team     (1R2AAAL)

will start doing regular hackathons and have assigned champions to steward them     (1R2AAAM)

[11:02] Terry Longstreth: @Peter, Marcela. I intentionally focused on the actual presentations. The     (1R2AAAN)

second column has pointers to the Session agenda pages. So I'm not sure if diluting the page with     (1R2AAAO)

lists of participants is the right model, but we could have subordinate entries with the peoples     (1R2AAAP)

names and hotlinks from the presentation summary table without adding too much complexity to the     (1R2AAAQ)

initial impression offered by it.     (1R2AAAR)

[11:08] Marcela Vegetti: @Terry, Peter, May be we can change the telecons.html page of the website     (1R2AAAS)

with the one proposed by Terry     (1R2AAAT)

[subsequent] Peter P. Yim: since the "pretty" website is essentially designed to address an outside     (1R2AAAU)

(non-ontologist) audience, I would suggest that, for now, it would probably suffice for us just to     (1R2AAAV)

add a link to Terry's page from the telecons.html page. That, at least, allows us to make better use     (1R2AAAW)

of our time (like Marcela's working on semantic queries and search, etc.)     (1R2AAAX)

[subsequent] Terry Longstreth: One other thing that I would find useful would be to put a link to the     (1R2AAAY)

Quick Reference on the Resources page     (1R2AAAZ)

[subsequent] Peter P. Yim; @Terry, Marcela, Todd [10:33] and Fabian [10:34] - Done! See:     (1R2AAAAA)

( =ppy/2013.05.27 )     (1R2AAAAE)

[11:03] Amanda Vizedom: Accompanying point: we might not lose so much if we are more selective about     (1R2AAAAF)

what is presented.     (1R2AAAAG)

[11:04] Amanda Vizedom: We also might include presentations that are in effect summaries of the work     (1R2AAAAH)

of a number of people who we might otherwise have invited on their own.     (1R2AAAAI)

[11:04] Terry Longstreth: I agree with Matthew - initial presentations were scattershot to give us a     (1R2AAAAJ)

'Chinese menu' for followup.     (1R2AAAAK)

[11:05] Amanda Vizedom: Note: alternating presentations, on the other hand, might give some room to     (1R2AAAAL)

try to schedule future presentations responsively to the way the summit is evolving.     (1R2AAAAM)

[11:06] Todd Schneider: All, we should bear in mind that this year's summit subject is somewhat out     (1R2AAAAN)

of the norm, or at least not a primary interest to ontology developers.     (1R2AAAAO)

[11:08] Amanda Vizedom: @Todd, I don't think that's true (the primary interest part).     (1R2AAAAP)

[11:08] Todd Schneider: Amanda, certainly not for you:)     (1R2AAAAQ)

[11:08] Amanda Vizedom: Not for a great number of ontologists I know     (1R2AAAAR)

[11:10] Fabian Neuhaus: @Peter: (responding to PeterYim's verbal comment that the presentations added     (1R2AAAAS)

hugely to the collective body-of-knowledge on this particular subject, as well as to the entire     (1R2AAAAT)

archive) I am not discounting the presentations. I agree that they are important. I just try to     (1R2AAAAU)

think of ways to have more interactions.     (1R2AAAAV)

[11:12] Marcela Vegetti: Unfortunately, I have to go.     (1R2AAAAW)

[11:14] Peter P. Yim: @Marcela - bye ... thank you     (1R2AAAAX)

[11:15] Michael Grüninger: I didn't think that the Keynote topics were relevant to the Summit topic     (1R2AAAAY)

(just my personal opinion)     (1R2AAAAZ)

[11:15] Todd Schneider: The keynotes were good, but not 'close' to the summit's subject.     (1R2AAAAAA)

[11:16] Amanda Vizedom: (Why) Do we need to have keynotes at all?     (1R2AAAAAB)

[11:16] Peter P. Yim: (despite what others think) personally, I think the keynotes were among the "best"     (1R2AAAAAC)

parts of the Symposium     (1R2AAAAAD)

[11:16] Terry Longstreth: Fabian's right - how do you invite an expert who's not already in the     (1R2AAAAAE)

(conceptual) room?     (1R2AAAAAF)

[11:17] Terry Longstreth: And the keynotes gave us viewpoints that were outside of the ontology     (1R2AAAAAG)

community's comfort zone     (1R2AAAAAH)

[11:20] Ram D. Sriram: One possible way to resolve the keynotes problem is to replace it with a panel on     (1R2AAAAAI)

potential funding opportunities for next year (as it will held near downtown).     (1R2AAAAAJ)

[11:18] Peter P. Yim: == Michael: what should we do next year ... choice of "Topic" first ... please     (1R2AAAAAK)

type suggestions below     (1R2AAAAAL)

[11:16] Todd Schneider: How about Reasoning or Ontologies and/for Reasoning for the subject of the     (1R2AAAAAM)

next summit?     (1R2AAAAAN)

[11:19] Amanda Vizedom: Todd: Semantic Federation     (1R2AAAAAO)

[11:20] Amanda Vizedom: Todd: Reasoning over Linked Data     (1R2AAAAAP)

[11:20] Todd Schneider: The value of ontology in linked data?     (1R2AAAAAQ)

[11:21] Michael Grüninger: I was thinking of using a domain (such as E-Science) as a way of     (1R2AAAAAR)

addressing issues such as reusability, reasoning,, evaluation     (1R2AAAAAS)

[11:23] Todd Schneider: Big data semantic federation?     (1R2AAAAAT)

[11:24] Todd Schneider: Reasoning with big linked data for semantic federation?     (1R2AAAAAU)

[11:24] Terry Longstreth: Does anyone remember how the VLDB conferences started? I think Big Data's     (1R2AAAAAV)

on the same trajectory.     (1R2AAAAAW)

[11:25] Ram D. Sriram: @Amanda: Can you elaborate on what you mean by reasoning on linked data?     (1R2AAAAAX)

[11:33] Amanda Vizedom: @Ram, e.g. consuming published linked data and using it in a mashup app that     (1R2AAAAAY)

performs some query answering / semantic search functions. E.g., finding resources across     (1R2AAAAAZ)

distributed linked (open) data corpora, where the resource/corpora pairs might be: finding cultural     (1R2AAAAAAA)

artifacts across libraries, archives, and museums LOD; finding reusable data sets across scientific     (1R2AAAAAAB)

data repository LOD; finding products and services across potentially competing providers LOD;     (1R2AAAAAAC)

gathering diverse news items about an event or entity across new service's LOD (and maybe also     (1R2AAAAAAD)

Library-Archives-Museums LOD).     (1R2AAAAAAE)

[11:35] Amanda Vizedom: That all requires some reasoning over Linked (open) Data, where such LOD is     (1R2AAAAAAF)

already being published. At the same time, there are live issues, within the LOD / SemWeb     (1R2AAAAAAG)

communities regarding the quality of the semantic aspects of the data (standards, strengths and     (1R2AAAAAAH)

weaknesses of particular ontologies).     (1R2AAAAAAI)

[11:38] Ram D. Sriram: @Amanda: May be then the workshop should focus on Linked data, its relationship     (1R2AAAAAAJ)

to Ontologies, and Reasoning over this.     (1R2AAAAAAK)

[11:44] Amanda Vizedom: @Ram, possibly, but we want to make clear we are putting the ontology-linked     (1R2AAAAAAL)

data and reasoning-linked data relationships first. Or at least, like we aren't jumping in as if it     (1R2AAAAAAM)

were a fresh field, ignoring the people who really are experts in Linked Data and LOD.     (1R2AAAAAAN)

[11:26] Todd Schneider: Amanda, that get's back to Peter's observation on our poor PR capabilities.     (1R2AAAAAAO)

[11:28] Terry Longstreth: Peter says two separate summits: external and internal. I say summits could     (1R2AAAAAAP)

be a bridge between them.     (1R2AAAAAAQ)

[11:29] Matthew West: I agree with Peter we need to choose between internal or external. I would go     (1R2AAAAAAR)

for alternating.     (1R2AAAAAAS)

[11:30] Matthew West: My idea on spreading it out is not to make it more than three months, but 1     (1R2AAAAAAT)

month 3 times with gaps in between.     (1R2AAAAAAU)

[11:30] Terry Longstreth: Maybe change the balance and make hackathons the major activity for future summits?     (1R2AAAAAAV)

[11:33] Peter P. Yim: == Michael: what should we do next year ... let's discuss "the Schedule"     (1R2AAAAAAW)

[11:33] Matthew West: So two events with different names each every two years.     (1R2AAAAAAX)

[11:34] Terry Longstreth: With each year having ONE presentation or session covering salient aspects     (1R2AAAAAAY)

of the non-focus topic     (1R2AAAAAAZ)

[11:34] Peter P. Yim: Michael: ... let's run a "topic" brainstorm session in September     (1R2AAAAAAAA)

[11:43] Michael Grüninger / Matthew West: September 19th will be the date for the initial     (1R2AAAAAAAB)

brainstorming session for Ontology Summit 2014 potential topics ... an open meeting as usual (not just     (1R2AAAAAAAC)

limited to organizers)     (1R2AAAAAAAD)

[11:35] Peter P. Yim: Michael: we could leave "the summit" on the same duration (~3 months) but stretch     (1R2AAAAAAAE)

out the planning     (1R2AAAAAAAF)

[11:37] Peter P. Yim: @Astrid ... I don't think we have received your Communique endorsement yet, would     (1R2AAAAAAAG)

you consider endorsing, please?     (1R2AAAAAAAH)

[11:38] AstridDuqueRamos: Hi Peter. Yes, Ill endorse, but I want to review it before     (1R2AAAAAAAI)

[11:38] Peter P. Yim: @Astrid ... thank you, don't mean to rush you     (1R2AAAAAAAJ)

[11:42] Terry Longstreth: It would also be useful to have a session at each summit that reviewed and     (1R2AAAAAAAK)

reported status of previous summits.     (1R2AAAAAAAL)

[11:44] Peter P. Yim: great session!     (1R2AAAAAAAM)

[11:44] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:44am PDT --     (1R2AAAAAAAN)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1R2AAAAAAAO)

[edit] Additional Resources     (1S)


For the record ...     (1S13)

[edit] How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1T)



This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1T4)