From OntologPSMW

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - "== Agenda: ==" to "== Agenda ==")
Line 811: Line 811:
* This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page:  
* This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page:  
* Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under [[WikiHomePage|our prevailing open IPR policy]].  
* Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under [[WikiHomePage#Intellectual_Property_Rights_.28IPR.29_Policy|our prevailing open IPR policy]].  
== Attendees  ==
== Attendees  ==

Revision as of 15:02, 27 April 2013

[ ]


OntologySummit2013: Panel Session-12 - Thu 2013-04-04     (1)

Summit Theme: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"     (1A)

Session Topic: Ontology Summit 2013: Synthesis-II     (1B)

Summit General Co-chairs & session Co-chairs: - intro slides     (1C)

Panelists / Briefings:     (1E)

Abstract     (1R)

OntologySummit2013 Session-12: "Synthesis-II" - intro slides     (1R1)

This is our 8th Ontology Summit, a joint initiative by NIST, Ontolog, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD with the support of our co-sponsors. The theme adopted for this Ontology Summit is: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle."     (1R2)

Currently, there is no agreed methodology for development of ontologies, and there are no universally agreed metrics for ontology evaluation. At the same time, everybody agrees that there are a lot of badly engineered ontologies out there, thus people use -- at least implicitly -- some criteria for the evaluation of ontologies.     (1R3)

During this OntologySummit, we seek to identify best practices for ontology development and evaluation. We will consider the entire lifecycle of an ontology -- from requirements gathering and analysis, through to design and implementation. In this endeavor, the Summit will seek collaboration with the software engineering and knowledge acquisition communities. Research in these fields has led to several mature models for the software lifecycle and the design of knowledge-based systems, and we expect that fruitful interaction among all participants will lead to a consensus for a methodology within ontological engineering. Following earlier Ontology Summit practice, the synthesized results of this season's discourse will be published as a Communique.     (1R4)

We have now completed the virtual sessions of the Summit that were dedicated to presentations of technical content.Each of the four tracks have hosted very exciting presentations that address the key Summit themes -- Intrinsic Aspects of Ontology Evaluation, Extrinsic Aspects of Ontology Evaluation, Building Ontologies to Meet Evaluation Criteria, and Software Environments for Evaluating Ontologies.     (1R5)

In today's session, we will focus on revisiting the synthesis of all of these ideas as input into the initial draft of the Summit Communiqué.     (1R6)

The Synthesis II session will be framed by the Communique outline. Track champions will provide discussion questions that represent the points of synthesis they need to address but feel that they don't have enough input to synthesize.     (1R7)

More details about this OntologySummit is available at: OntologySummit2013 (homepage for this summit)     (1R8)

Agenda     (1S)

OntologySummit2013 - Panel Session-12 - Synthesis-II     (1S1)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1S2)

Proceedings:     (1T)

Please refer to the above     (1T1)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session:     (1T2)

see raw transcript here.     (1T3)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.) Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1T4)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1T5)

Chat transcript from room: summit_20130404 2013-04-04 GMT-08:00 [PDT]     (1T6)

[9:16] PeterYim: Welcome to the     (1T7)

OntologySummit2013: Virtual Panel Session-12 - Thu 2013-04-04     (2)

Summit Theme: Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle     (2A)

Session Topic: Ontology Summit 2013: Synthesis-II     (2B)

- Professor MichaelGruninger (U of Toronto, Canada) and Dr. MatthewWest (Information Junction, UK)     (2D)

Agenda:     (2E)

- "Thoughts on Ontology Summit 2013 and session intro"     (2G)

- "Track-A: Intrinsic Aspects of Ontology Evaluation - Synthesis-2"     (2J)

- "Track-B: Extrinsic Aspects of Ontology Evaluation - Synthesis-2"     (2L)

- "Track-C: Building Ontologies to Meet Evaluation Criteria - Synthesis-2"     (2N)

- "Track-D: Software Environments for Evaluating Ontologies - Synthesis-2"     (2P)

- Open Discussion on how the synthesized ideas may be represented in the Communique draft     (2R)

Logistics:     (2S)

  • (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center) and morph from "anonymous" to your [[RealName]] (in WikiWord format)     (2U)

  • Can't find Skype Dial pad?     (2W)
    • for Windows Skype users: it may be under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (2W1)
    • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,)     (2W2)

if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it.     (2X)

  • Note: ... it has come to our attention that our conference bridge provider is running into some     (2Y)

problems with the "joinconference" skype connections. In case anyone gets in trouble, please try to call the phone numbers instead (e.g. from your phone, skype-out, google-voice, etc.)     (2Z)

Proceedings:     (2AB)

[9:23] anonymous morphed into CarmenChui     (2AB1)

[9:25] anonymous1 morphed into MichaelDenny     (2AB2)

[9:25] anonymous morphed into FrancescaQuattri     (2AB3)

[9:30] PeterYim: @FrancescaQuattri - did you just connect to the call? (that connection was injecting a lot of noise into the line; you'll need to stay on mute when not speaking)     (2AB4)

[9:31] FrancescaQuattri: Hi Everybody     (2AB6)

[9:32] anonymous morphed into MaryPanahiazar     (2AB7)

[9:33] anonymous1 morphed into JulienCorman     (2AB8)

[9:34] anonymous morphed into BobbinTeegarden     (2AB9)

[9:34] JoelBender: @Peter - online with Skype - no microphone     (2AB10)

[9:33] PeterYim: Hello mary panahiazar, Welcome! [ ... send me your email so you can get subscribed to the lists and participate in the async discussion too.]     (2AB11)

[9:34] MaryPanahiazar: mary [at]     (2AB12)

[9:35] ToddSchneider: All, I have to leave at 14:00 EDT.     (2AB13)

[9:36] PeterYim: == MichaelGruninger opens the session ... see: the [ 0-Gruninger ] slides     (2AB14)

[9:46] SteveRay: With respect to conditions for ontology evaluation, we can talk about necessary conditions for evaluation, and possibly sufficient conditions for evaluation, with respect to various stages of development.     (2AB16)

[9:46] AmandaVizedom: Note about HC-05 outputs: This is snapshot of work at the end of the weekend sessions. Results are dispersed across a number of text and graphic files. Currently, several of us are working on consolidating the conceptual model in both graphical and English text forms, and making sure that we, as a group, agree that this captures what we developed. We are also drafting formal ontologies based on this, in OWL and Common Logic, but all should be considered first drafts, and current push is on the consolidated concept model.     (2AB18)

[9:55] PeterYim: @Amanda, Ali, et al. - at the OntoIOp working group meeting yesterday, TillMossakowski and I were kicking around the idea of hacking up a demo (for the OntologySummit2013_Symposium), to evaluate two manually developed versions of the "Ontology of Ontology Evaluation" (a la HC-05 - in OWL and CLIF), and two machine-translated versions of those Ontologies (of Onto Eval) with Hets / DOL / OntoIOp / Ontohub (OWL->CLIF; CLIF->OWL) ... and run them through some of the tools featured during this summit ... it'll be fun!     (2AB19)

[10:00] AmandaVizedom: @Peter: Excellent! I've been a bit dissatisfied that even with our follow-on commitments to create the formal ontologies, we haven't had a specific plan for evaluating them. And that's no good, from the practicing what we preach perspective. So, in addition to the fun of it, I think that is an excellent idea!     (2AB20)

[9:47] PeterYim: == MatthewWest presenting ... see: the [ 1-West ] slides     (2AB21)

[9:51] SteveRay: Interesting: Decision taking (UK) = Decision making (USA)     (2AB22)

[9:56] anonymous morphed into LamarHenderson     (2AB23)

[9:58] AmandaVizedom: Cost reduction benefits, and sponsor's ROI in general, were brought into our HC-05 discussions this weekend, advocated especially by BobSmith. Figuring out how these fit into the high-level evaluation has been a challenge. MatthewWest's comments related to his slide 3 suggests to me that we began to model requirements and their large dependence on usage, and we began to model aspects of usage, and we began to model purpose as part of that, but under purpose we focused on delivered functionality. Matthews slide 3 highlights delivered benefits, at a higher level than specific functionalities. That, I think, we need to add explicitly.     (2AB24)

[9:59] PeterYim: == SteveRay presenting ... see: the [ A-Obrst-Ray ] slides     (2AB25)

[10:05] DougFoxvog: (in response to discussion of Slide 2 of Track A) Class vs. instance distinction being questionable arises if the ontology makes the two disjoint. If classes may be used as arguments to predicates (and metaclasses are allowed), then one need not make the narrowest classes into instances of their superclasses.     (2AB26)

[10:15] PeterYim: == ToddSchneider presenting ... see: the [ B-Schneider-Longstreth ] slides     (2AB27)

[10:15] TerryLongstreth: (ref. ToddSchneider's remark that he will present, as TerryLongstreth is having trouble talking) I'm listening, but as Todd says, having trouble with verbal communication     (2AB28)

[10:17] SteveRay: Disagree with Terry in calling OOPS! a blackbox evaluation. It is specifically examining the contents of the ontology - opening up the box and looking for structural errors.     (2AB29)

[10:18] TerryLongstreth: That was Todd, but I think he was just illustrating the ambiguity of the dichotomy     (2AB30)

[10:18] MatthewWest: @Ray: I would expect intrinsic properties to become important (or not) in supporting higher level extrinsic requirements. So the key is to understand the way higher level requirements are supported by requirements for generally lower level, intrinsic properties.     (2AB31)

[10:19] AmandaVizedom: @Matthew +1 (independently of Steve's comments or OOPS!).     (2AB32)

[10:20] SteveRay: @Matthew: I agree. Intrinsic evaluation alone has no value unless related to the ultimate system performance.     (2AB33)

[10:20] DougFoxvog: I agree with Steve. OOPS! ignores the *meaning* of the terms, but has access to all the statements in the ontology. Ignoring the meaning seems to be what Todd meant by "black box".     (2AB34)

[10:22] SteveRay: @Doug: You may be right in how Todd (sorry Terry, got the names swapped) intended to use the term black box, but that is an odd use of the term, somewhat opposite to what at least I understand it to mean.     (2AB35)

[10:21] DougFoxvog: @Matthew, @Amanda: +1     (2AB36)

[10:21] MichaelGruninger: @DougFoxvog: What do you mean by "ignoring the meaning"? The "meaning" of a term should be equivalent to the possible interpretations of the axioms     (2AB37)

[10:23] DougFoxvog: The "meaning" of the term is defined for humans and humans use that meaning for labeling (e.g., cells on a slide, info on medical records, etc.)     (2AB38)

[10:25] DougFoxvog: @Michael: I agree that the meaning of an ontology in a vacuum is just the possible interpretations of the axioms. However, ontologies are (hopefully) used in conjunction with other systems, and so their mappings to those systems affects the meaning of the terms.     (2AB39)

[10:28] MichaelGruninger: @DougFoxvog: In the work with MeganKatsumi, the intended meanings of terms are requirements that are formalized as intended models. We can then evaluate the ontology (using the axioms alone) to determine whether or not it meets those requirements i.e. whether or no there are intended models. When ontologies are used together, the intended models need to be in common.     (2AB40)

[10:25] AmandaVizedom: @Todd: While discussing slide 3, you said that the evaluation has a context, and that when you know that context, then you can rank the results of your evaluation (metrics, etc). This sounds to me like a different framing, but in principle equivalent to a different process characterization that we have discussed. In this other characterization, The context comes first -- specifying the intended usage, gathering requirements. From this, evaluation criteria are identified that are relevant to answering whether these specific, context-driven requirements are satisfied, and evaluation is conducted over those criteria. Do you agree that both processes emphasize the contextuality of evaluation relevance equivalently?     (2AB41)

[10:28] DougFoxvog: @Amanda: Should we expect the contexts to be defined (as you said they must be) using an ontology? I.e., are the context definitions to be stated in a formal logic using terms defined in an ontology?     (2AB42)

[10:34] AmandaVizedom: @doug, yes, though here I am using context as I think Todd meant it, not in all the possible ways I might otherwise be found using it. ;-) In the HC-05 model, we've been so far following along with the Ontology Usage characterization seeds laid down in the 2011 summit. That is, the formalized characterization of context consists partially in the explicit capture of various aspects of the usage (including things like application type, users, and so on), not yet nearly exhaustively captured. Priority is on such characteristics as we come to understand that they make a difference to what ontology features are needed.     (2AB43)

[10:26] SteveRay: @Michael: I'd be interested in your thoughts on the axioms when one is presented with, say, an OWL file that contains only sub/superclass relations and some all[[ValuesFrom]] or some[[ValuesFrom]] relations. In other words, no explicit axioms at all.     (2AB44)

[10:32] MichaelGruninger: @Steve: I would say that subclass relations are still axioms. Of course, if these are all you have, then there will most likely be many possible interpretations of the ontology that do not correspond to the intended meanings. A great example of this is the relationship between OWL-S and SWSO. In cases such as this, I wonder what the requirements for the ontology are considered to be.     (2AB45)

[10:27] PeterYim: @Todd - (re. your remark during slide#7) I somewhat disagree that "testers are not familiar with ontologies" ... if we look at (and we should) test designers as among the "testers" (that's the group that's meaningful, we should not be talking about the test operators), then they simply do not qualify for the job if they are not familiar with ontologies     (2AB46)

[10:34] ToddSchneider: Peter, I qualified 'tester' to be in the context of system integration testing (i.e., the end of the development phases and prior to deployment).     (2AB47)

[10:37] PeterYim: @Todd - fair!     (2AB48)

[10:29] PeterYim: == MatthewWest presenting ... see: the [ C-West-Bennett ] slides     (2AB49)

[10:33] DougFoxvog: Slide 3: "The physical level would be an encoding in a formal language" such as OWL. This is an interesting definition of "physical". It would be nice for the slide to be edited to clarify this meaning. I might call this the "code" level.     (2AB50)

[10:38] AmandaVizedom: @Matthew - during HC-05, we found your Conceptual / Logical / Physical stages, following DB usage someone, to make the most sense when mapped thusly: Conceptual: human-centric capture in one or more artifacts, could be textual, graphical, combined, rigorous but not formal. Logical: expressed in a formal ontology language. Physical: expressed in a serialization of such a language. Is this compatible with your thinking?     (2AB51)

[10:47] MatthewWest: @Amanda: Possibly. In truth there are variations in interpretation of the levels in the database world. Certainly the physical level is what is in the system running queries. The logical level is an abstraction of that that is not implementation environment specific. I would probably want to say that you would not have committed to FOL or DL yet, but we could debate that (maybe another level?)     (2AB52)

[10:44] ToddSchneider: Matthew, Instead of 'quality', would 'value' be a notion that better conveys our intent?     (2AB53)

[10:35] PeterYim: == MikeDenny presenting ... see: the [ D-Denny-Yim ] slides     (2AB54)

[10:39] LeoObrst: Finally joining. Sorry I'm late.     (2AB55)

[10:39] PeterYim: glad you made it, Leo!     (2AB56)

[10:46] TerryLongstreth: Track D makes a good point that much of our work has seemed to presume a Waterfall model of development. We didn't explicitly talk about it but the Track B concerns with dynamics are probably best illustrated in current practice by environments by dynamic injection of new or unanticipated requirements as happens in agile development situations.     (2AB57)

[10:48] DougFoxvog: There have been several mentions that symmetric, reflexive, and transitive predicates should have the same domain and range. This is true for symmetric predicates, but for transitive predicates, the requirement should be that the range is a subclass of the domain. For reflexive predicates, it really depends upon one's definition of "reflexive" -- does it mean (forAll (X P P_Range P_Domain) (implies (and (isa P [[BinaryPredicate]]) (range P P_Range) (domain P P_Domain) (isa X P_Range) (isa X P_Domain)) (P X X))) or (forAll (X P P_Range P_Domain) (implies (and (isa P [[BinaryPredicate]]) (range P P_Range) (domain P P_Domain) (isa X ([[ClassUnionFunction]] P_Range P_Domain)) (P X X))) In the second case, the domain & range must be the same. In the first, they should just not be disjoint.     (2AB58)

[10:58] SteveRay: @MichaelDenny: Indeed, some of us are trying to link ontology evaluation to traditional modeling tools. I and my team convert Enterprise Architect files into OWL, and then apply various evaluation queries against them using SPARQL. One example of output can be found at     (2AB59)

[11:03] MichaelDenny: @SteveRay Very interesting and glad to see it. I will take a look.     (2AB60)

[11:00] ToddSchneider: Have to go.     (2AB61)

[11:01] PeterYim: == Q&A and Open Discussion on how all of these ideas should be captured into the OntologySummit2013_Communique ... moderated by FabianNeuhaus and AmandaVizedom     (2AB62)

[11:04] ToddSchneider: Amanda, Fabian, One suggestion before I really leave, I'd suggest dropping the in/extrinsic distinction and replace it with the lifecycle phase. It seems a better criteria for making evaluations distinctions.     (2AB64)

[11:06] SteveRay: @Todd: Not sure I agree with this. Lifecycle has to do with WHEN, or at which phase, does one evaluate. The intrinsic/extrinsic distinction relates to WHAT one is evaluating.     (2AB65)

[11:10] TerryLongstreth: Lifecycle phases may also have multiple contexts: to the developer, the lifecycle phase labeled development is (one of) his operational swimming pools. He may touch more than one ontology if for example, the development environment is driven by an ontology (Rational products have that flavor, if not directly employing the term)     (2AB66)

[11:04] PeterYim: +1 to, at least, the first half of Todd's suggestion. I think the intrinsic/extrinsic distinction served a useful purpose to help us frame the discourse, but introducing this "new terminology" is as confusing as not introducing it at all     (2AB67)

[11:09] MeganKatsumi: @SteveRay, @Todd: I agree that the in/extrinsic distinction is confusing, but I also think that Steve has a point about the proposed using of the lifecycle phase. Might another useful distinction be the idea of functional/non-functional requirements/attributes?     (2AB68)

[11:12] MichaelDenny: @MeganKatsumi I have suggested "model quality" vs "domain fidelity" vs application fitness.     (2AB69)

[11:12] SteveRay: @Michael: I like your partitioning.     (2AB70)

[11:12] MatthewWest: I also agree that intrinsic/extrinsic has not been helpful. However, I don't think it matters very much. It gave us a way to start, and we can move on from that.     (2AB71)

[11:12] AmandaVizedom: As Fabian is saying on the conversation now, we do not plan on using the intrinsic/extrinsic distinction an organizer of the Communique. See outline.     (2AB72)

[11:14] PeterYim: +1 to what FabianNeuhaus just said about how he and AmandaVizedom are planning to lay out the communique     (2AB73)

[11:06] AmandaVizedom: This is also of great potential use to Enterprise Architecture and Business Process Management practices themselves, and the development of semantic IT to better support them. Enterprise semantic tech projects are often based in information sharing needs related to business processes. In best cases, that basis is somewhat clear from documentation of business process and EA environment from just such tools. But these tools stop at the level of the input, output, or sharing of information bearing objects (reports, data sets, messages). They don't drill down into the information *contents*. That is precisely where the ontology coverage needs and scoping of the semantic projects picks up, and it is much more effectively captured and conveyed within a context of continuity with those EA/BP models.     (2AB74)

[11:06] TerryLongstreth: @Fabian - (in reference to Fabian's verbal remarks on how Track-A and Track-B focused their discourse, and the gap) Track B wasn't so concerned with the physical level as the behavioral consequences to the system of having ontology or an ontology within it.     (2AB75)

[11:10] FabianNeuhaus: @Terry - yes, that's what I meant, I did not put it very elegantly. My point was that there are some aspects of ontology evaluation/quality that was not covered by either track, should be covered.     (2AB76)

[11:06] LeoObrst: @MichaelDenny: (ref. slide#5 "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.") yes, I call it "a label does not wear its semantics on its sleeve", which a lot of XML and database folks sometimes think, e.g., if a label is named "Person", well of course I know what it means! This is also encouraged by very long camelCase concept names like [[PersonsWhoWieldHammers]], where the label seems to be the composition of the semantics of natural language terms.     (2AB77)

[11:09] MichaelDenny: @LeoObrst ...or "you can't tell a concept by its cover"     (2AB78)

[11:12] anonymous morphed into PavithraKenjige     (2AB79)

[11:15] JackRing: Seems to me any ontology must be evaluated with respect to domain-specific (usage) and discipline-specific (principles and standards) contexts. Further, an ontology can be evaluated for quality (what it is, what it does and what it knows), parsimony and beauty. I sense confusion about whether ontology serves as framework, praxis, system or what?     (2AB80)

[11:19] JackRing: Life cycle is a distracting notion. Most all ontologies evolve and morph. It may be better to telk in terms of Usage Scenario.     (2AB81)

[11:14] MichaelGruninger: Does it make sense to consider specific ontology evaluation tasks, and then specify what the inputs to the tasks are? e.g. is evaluation done with respect to the ontology's axioms alone? Is the ontology evaluated wrt a specific set of requirements?     (2AB82)

[11:18] MatthewWest: @Michael: You can only evaluate against requirements. If you look at my slide on Properties key to Information Quality, you will find properties at a level that business folk can state their requirements at. But then take consistency. What are the more detailed properties of an ontology that you can measure that tell you about its consistency? how do you transform the requirements at the business level down to this level?     (2AB83)

[11:20] MichaelGruninger: @MatthewWest: Some of the criteria in Steve and Leo's slides use only the axioms of the ontology     (2AB84)

[11:18] AmandaVizedom: I will add that I believe that there are many ways of "slicing and dicing" ontology characteristics/ requirements / evaluation criteria. Intrinsic/extrinsic is one (or several, given the various interpretations), as are lifecycle stages, relationship to aspects of usage/ relationship to some aspect of theory, etc.. And different tools and methodologies utilize different such organizations. What's more important is that we understand what the characteristics/criteria/requirements are, and when & why they matter, and how & when they may be evaluated.     (2AB85)

[11:19] MatthewWest: @Amanda: +1     (2AB86)

[11:21] MeganKatsumi: @Amanda: +1     (2AB87)

[11:22] DougFoxvog: @Amanda: +2. The ontology evaluation ontology should have concepts and relations for all that.     (2AB88)

[11:20] DougFoxvog: Leo is discussing properties of different ontology aspects relative to life cycle phase. If the specific relations are written down, they could be encoded using the ontology evaluation ontology.     (2AB89)

[11:19] PeterYim: Registration (either onsite or remote) is now open for the OntologySummit2013_Symposium at NIST - Thu & Fri May 2~3, 2013 (Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA) - see detials at: (registration for onsite attendance is mandatory ... so note the Apr-22 registration deadline!)     (2AB90)

[11:20] PeterYim: Join in the fun at this weekend's Hackathon-Clinics Activities - see details at: ... even if you don't plan to hang around all day, you might be interested to participate at the "open webcast segment" of the two projects being featured this Saturday (Apr-6)     (2AB91)

[11:20] PeterYim: Again, solicitation to software environment stewards and tool developers to respond to the OntologySummit2013 Software Survey - goto: ... enter name of your tool, and proceed to questionnaire (make sure you complete all phases (questions under all tabs)     (2AB92)

[11:20] PeterYim: As MichaelGruninger just said, same time next week, for OntologySummit2013 session-13: "Communique Draft Review" - Co-chairs: AmandaVizedom & FabianNeuhaus - developing session details at:     (2AB93)

[11:20] MatthewWest: Sorry I have to go now.     (2AB94)

[11:25] SteveRay: Good session. Thanks!     (2AB95)

[11:25] PeterYim: great session!     (2AB96)

[11:25] PeterYim: -- session ended: 11:25 am PDT --     (2AB97)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (2AB98)

  • Further Question & Remarks - please post them to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv     (2AB99)
    • all subscribers to the previous summit discussion, and all who responded to today's call will automatically be subscribed to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv     (2AB99A)
    • if you are already subscribed, post to <ontology-summit [at]>     (2AB99B)
    • (if you are not yet subscribed) you may subscribe yourself to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv, by sending a blank email to <ontology-summit-join [at]> from your subscribing email address, and then follow the instructions you receive back from the mailing list system.     (2AB99C)
    • (in case you aren't already a member) you may also want to join the ONTOLOG community and be subscribed to the [ ontolog-forum ] listserv, when general ontology-related topics (not specific to this year's Summit theme) are discussed. Please refer to Ontolog membership details at:     (2AB99D)

Additional Resources:     (2AB100)

For the record ...     (2AB100H)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (2AC)

Attention: Please take special note on the start time of the event, as the US, the EU and some regions are on daylight saving (summer) time on this day (the EU just changed last weekend), while there are other regions that stay on Standard Time all year round!     (2AC4)

  • Dial-in:     (2AC5D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (2AC5D1)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer)     (2AC5D2)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (2AC5D2A)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (2AC5D2B)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (2AC5D2B1)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (2AC5D2C)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it may be under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (2AC5D2C1)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (2AC5D2C2)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:     (2AC5E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (2AC5E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (2AC5E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (2AC5E3)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (2AC5F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (2AC5F2)
    • thanks to the folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ... Handy for mobile devices!     (2AC5F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (2AC5G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (2AC5G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (2AC5G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (2AC5G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (2AC5G4)
  • RSVP to with your affiliation appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community already.)     (2AC5I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (2AC5K)

Attendees     (2AD)