From OntologPSMW

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - "== Agenda: ==" to "== Agenda ==")
(Fix PurpleMediaWiki references)
 
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 5: Line 5:
 
Session-5 Program:  
 
Session-5 Program:  
  
* (A)  '''Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data''' ... [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog_session-5-intro--NancyWiegand-MikeDean_20121212.pdf intro slides]
+
* (A)  '''Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data''' ... [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog_session-5-intro--NancyWiegand-MikeDean_20121212.pdf intro slides]  
** Co-chaired by: '''Dr. [[NancyWiegand]]''' (U of Wisconsin, Madison), and '''Mr. [[MikeDean]]''' (Raytheon BBN)  
+
** Co-chaired by: '''Dr. NancyWiegand''' (U of Wisconsin, Madison), and '''Mr. MikeDean''' (Raytheon BBN)  
  
* (B) Mini-series wrap-up: "'''Looking Back at the Earth Science  - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?'''" ... [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-mini-series-wrap-up--KrishnaSinha-LeoObrst__20121212.pdf slides]
+
* (B) Mini-series wrap-up: "'''Looking Back at the Earth Science  - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?'''" ... [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-mini-series-wrap-up--KrishnaSinha-LeoObrst__20121212.pdf slides]  
** by '''Professor [[KrishnaSinha]]''' (Virginia Tech) and '''Dr. [[LeoObrst]]''' (MITRE)  
+
** by '''Professor KrishnaSinha''' (Virginia Tech) and '''Dr. LeoObrst''' (MITRE)  
  
 
Panelists / Briefings (segment-A):  
 
Panelists / Briefings (segment-A):  
  
* '''Professor [[KrishnaSinha]]''' (Virginia Tech) - "'''Building Blocks for [[EarthCube]]'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Building-Blocks-for-EarthCube--AKSinha_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Professor KrishnaSinha''' (Virginia Tech) - "'''Building Blocks for EarthCube'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Building-Blocks-for-EarthCube--AKSinha_20121212.pdf slides]  
* '''Dr. [[NancyWiegand]]''' (U of Wisconsin, Madison) - "'''Semantics in [[EarthCube]]'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantics-in-EarthCube--NancyWiegand_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Dr. NancyWiegand''' (U of Wisconsin, Madison) - "'''Semantics in EarthCube'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantics-in-EarthCube--NancyWiegand_20121212.pdf slides]  
* '''Dr. [[LeoObrst]]''' (MITRE) - "'''Semantic Technology: A Tutorial'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantic-Technology--A-Tutorial--LeoObrst_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Dr. LeoObrst''' (MITRE) - "'''Semantic Technology: A Tutorial'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantic-Technology--A-Tutorial--LeoObrst_20121212.pdf slides]  
* '''Mr. [[DaveKolas]]''' (Raytheon BBN) - "'''Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/GeoSPARQL_Getting_Started--DaveKolas_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Mr. DaveKolas''' (Raytheon BBN) - "'''Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/GeoSPARQL_Getting_Started--DaveKolas_20121212.pdf slides]  
  
[http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/ Archives:]  
+
==[http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/ Archives]==
  
 
* '''[[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|Abstract]]'''  
 
* '''[[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|Abstract]]'''  
Line 24: Line 24:
 
* '''Prepared presentation material (slides)''' can be accessed by clicking on each of the [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/ title links] below:  
 
* '''Prepared presentation material (slides)''' can be accessed by clicking on each of the [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/ title links] below:  
 
** '''[ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog_session-5-intro--NancyWiegand-MikeDean_20121212.pdf A0-Chair] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Building-Blocks-for-EarthCube--AKSinha_20121212.pdf A1-Sinha] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantics-in-EarthCube--NancyWiegand_20121212.pdf A2-Wiegand] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantic-Technology--A-Tutorial--LeoObrst_20121212.pdf A3-Obrst] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/GeoSPARQL_Getting_Started--DaveKolas_20121212.pdf A4-Kolas] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-mini-series-wrap-up--KrishnaSinha-LeoObrst__20121212.pdf B0-Sinha-Sinha] ]'''  
 
** '''[ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog_session-5-intro--NancyWiegand-MikeDean_20121212.pdf A0-Chair] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Building-Blocks-for-EarthCube--AKSinha_20121212.pdf A1-Sinha] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantics-in-EarthCube--NancyWiegand_20121212.pdf A2-Wiegand] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantic-Technology--A-Tutorial--LeoObrst_20121212.pdf A3-Obrst] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/GeoSPARQL_Getting_Started--DaveKolas_20121212.pdf A4-Kolas] ] . [ [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-mini-series-wrap-up--KrishnaSinha-LeoObrst__20121212.pdf B0-Sinha-Sinha] ]'''  
* '''[http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-s05_20111212b.mp3 Audio recording of the session]''' ... [ 1:51:41 ; mp3 ; 12.78 MB ]
+
* '''[http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-s05_20111212b.mp3 Audio recording of the session]''' ... [ 1:51:41 ; mp3 ; 12.78 MB ]  
 
** its best that you listen to the session while having the respective presentations (linked above) opened in front of you. You'll be prompted to advance slides by the speaker.  
 
** its best that you listen to the session while having the respective presentations (linked above) opened in front of you. You'll be prompted to advance slides by the speaker.  
 
* '''[[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|transcript of the online chat]]''' during the session  
 
* '''[[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|transcript of the online chat]]''' during the session  
Line 31: Line 31:
 
== Abstract  ==
 
== Abstract  ==
  
'''Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data''' - [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog_session-5-intro--NancyWiegand-MikeDean_20121212.pdf intro slides]
+
'''Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data''' - [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog_session-5-intro--NancyWiegand-MikeDean_20121212.pdf intro slides]  
  
 
This is the 5th and final session of the Joint EarthCube-[[Ontolog]] Mini-series on "Ontology and Semantic Technology for the Earth Science Community" - a series of panel sessions dubbed: "[[EarthScienceOntolog]]" - '''an Earth Science Ontology Dialog'''.  
 
This is the 5th and final session of the Joint EarthCube-[[Ontolog]] Mini-series on "Ontology and Semantic Technology for the Earth Science Community" - a series of panel sessions dubbed: "[[EarthScienceOntolog]]" - '''an Earth Science Ontology Dialog'''.  
  
This mini-series of events are co-organized/supported by members of the [[EarthCube]] community, [[Ontolog]] community, [[SOCoP]] community, [[IAOA]] community.  
+
This mini-series of events are co-organized/supported by members of the [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] community, [[Ontolog]] community, SOCoP community, [[IAOA]] community.  
  
 
We will continue the mini-series process (see [[ConferenceCall_2012_08_23|kick-off session abstract]]) with the aim of enabling meaningful dialog between members of both communities (Earth Science and ontology/semantics). To this end we seek to further an understanding of Earth Science system requirements expressed in such things as use cases, geo-science identified problems and issues, extant system architectures and their lifecycles, the status of relevant ontological engineering, architectures and approaches, and prospective tools.  
 
We will continue the mini-series process (see [[ConferenceCall_2012_08_23|kick-off session abstract]]) with the aim of enabling meaningful dialog between members of both communities (Earth Science and ontology/semantics). To this end we seek to further an understanding of Earth Science system requirements expressed in such things as use cases, geo-science identified problems and issues, extant system architectures and their lifecycles, the status of relevant ontological engineering, architectures and approaches, and prospective tools.  
  
In this last session of the Earth Science Ontology Dialog mini-series, we will start by discussing the building blocks for the [[EarthCube]] program. That will be followed by two tutorials - one on semantic technologies, ontologies, and the Web Ontology Language (OWL); the other on [[GeoSPARQL]].  
+
In this last session of the Earth Science Ontology Dialog mini-series, we will start by discussing the building blocks for the [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] program. That will be followed by two tutorials - one on semantic technologies, ontologies, and the Web Ontology Language (OWL); the other on [[GeoSPARQL]].  
  
 
At the end, the mini-series is summarized with some discussion on next steps in working toward semantics for Earth Science data.  
 
At the end, the mini-series is summarized with some discussion on next steps in working toward semantics for Earth Science data.  
Line 45: Line 45:
 
More details about this mini-series can be found at: '''[[EarthScienceOntolog]]''' (home page for this mini-series)  
 
More details about this mini-series can be found at: '''[[EarthScienceOntolog]]''' (home page for this mini-series)  
  
=== Briefings: ===
+
=== Briefings  ===
  
* '''Professor [[KrishnaSinha]]''' (Virginia Tech) - "'''Building Blocks for [[EarthCube]]'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Building-Blocks-for-EarthCube--AKSinha_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Professor KrishnaSinha''' (Virginia Tech) - "'''Building Blocks for EarthCube'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Building-Blocks-for-EarthCube--AKSinha_20121212.pdf slides]  
  
:''Abstract:'' ... [[EarthCube]] building blocks are components of an overarching architecture designed to support objectives of [[EarthCube]] identified by National Science Foundation (Jacobs[1], 2012; Killeen[2], 2012), as well as those highlighted in the European Commission report ''[http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/e-infrastructure/docs/hlg-sdi-report.pdf Riding the Wave]'';  
+
:''Abstract:'' ... [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] building blocks are components of an overarching architecture designed to support objectives of [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] identified by National Science Foundation (Jacobs[1], 2012; Killeen[2], 2012), as well as those highlighted in the European Commission report ''[http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/e-infrastructure/docs/hlg-sdi-report.pdf Riding the Wave]'';  
 
:: o  ''Data publication and access:'' developing new technologies to enable individuals and large data centers to publish data, as well as enabling access through semantic technologies. These technologies must be coupled with a reward system to encourage data sharing.  
 
:: o  ''Data publication and access:'' developing new technologies to enable individuals and large data centers to publish data, as well as enabling access through semantic technologies. These technologies must be coupled with a reward system to encourage data sharing.  
 
:: o  ''Collection:'' develop community endorsed  simple metadata requirements for data providers to facilitate access to both curated as well non curated data  
 
:: o  ''Collection:'' develop community endorsed  simple metadata requirements for data providers to facilitate access to both curated as well non curated data  
Line 62: Line 62:
 
:To meet such objectives, synergy between science and informatics is required to develop a more robust understanding of the earth as a system of systems. Interaction of these systems is recorded in both geological and biological data, yet the capability to integrate across disciplines is hampered by diverse social and technological approaches to research and communication. A significant challenge that must be met in order to promote such an understanding encompasses the integrated development of social, engineering and science based infrastructures.  
 
:To meet such objectives, synergy between science and informatics is required to develop a more robust understanding of the earth as a system of systems. Interaction of these systems is recorded in both geological and biological data, yet the capability to integrate across disciplines is hampered by diverse social and technological approaches to research and communication. A significant challenge that must be met in order to promote such an understanding encompasses the integrated development of social, engineering and science based infrastructures.  
 
: References:  
 
: References:  
::[1]  Jacobs, C., 2012, [[EarthCube]]: Developing a Framework to Create and Manage Knowledge in the Geosciences, Earth Observation, [http://www.earthzine.org/category/technology/ Technology], http://www.earthzine.org/2012/02/01/earthcube-developing-a-framework-to-create-and-manage-knowledge-in-the-geosciences/  
+
::[1]  Jacobs, C., 2012, [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]]: Developing a Framework to Create and Manage Knowledge in the Geosciences, Earth Observation, [http://www.earthzine.org/category/technology/ Technology], http://www.earthzine.org/2012/02/01/earthcube-developing-a-framework-to-create-and-manage-knowledge-in-the-geosciences/  
 
::[2]  Killeen, T., 2012, Data Citation in the Geosciences, http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12058/nsf12058.jsp  
 
::[2]  Killeen, T., 2012, Data Citation in the Geosciences, http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12058/nsf12058.jsp  
  
* '''Dr. [[NancyWiegand]]''' (U of Wisconsin, Madison) - "'''Semantics in [[EarthCube]]'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantics-in-EarthCube--NancyWiegand_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Dr. NancyWiegand''' (U of Wisconsin, Madison) - "'''Semantics in EarthCube'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantics-in-EarthCube--NancyWiegand_20121212.pdf slides]  
** ''Abstract:'' ... This brief talk transitions between the talk on [[EarthCube]] building blocks just given by Professor [[KrishnaSinha]] to the two tutorials that will be coming up by Dr. [[LeoObrst]] and Mr. [[DaveKolas]]. How semantics might fit into [[EarthCube]] is discussed using one of the [[EarthCube]] architecture diagrams.  
+
** ''Abstract:'' ... This brief talk transitions between the talk on [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] building blocks just given by Professor [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]] to the two tutorials that will be coming up by Dr. [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] and Mr. DaveKolas. How semantics might fit into [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] is discussed using one of the [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] architecture diagrams.  
  
* '''Dr. [[LeoObrst]]''' (MITRE) - "'''Semantic Technology: A Tutorial'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantic-Technology--A-Tutorial--LeoObrst_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Dr. LeoObrst''' (MITRE) - "'''Semantic Technology: A Tutorial'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/Semantic-Technology--A-Tutorial--LeoObrst_20121212.pdf slides]  
 
** ''Abstract:'' ... This short tutorial is an introduction to semantic technologies, ontologies, and OWL. The focus is on the contributions of semantic technologies and ontologies in particular to solving real information technology problems. The tutorial does not presuppose any previous detailed technical background in these topics, but a general technical background in information technology is assumed.  
 
** ''Abstract:'' ... This short tutorial is an introduction to semantic technologies, ontologies, and OWL. The focus is on the contributions of semantic technologies and ontologies in particular to solving real information technology problems. The tutorial does not presuppose any previous detailed technical background in these topics, but a general technical background in information technology is assumed.  
  
* '''Mr. [[DaveKolas]]''' (Raytheon BBN) - "'''Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/GeoSPARQL_Getting_Started--DaveKolas_20121212.pdf slides]
+
* '''Mr. DaveKolas''' (Raytheon BBN) - "'''Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/GeoSPARQL_Getting_Started--DaveKolas_20121212.pdf slides]  
 
** ''Abstract:'' ... In this talk, I will introduce the basic components which make up the [[GeoSPARQL]] specification: the ontology, the relation predicates, and the query functions.  I will then walk through a simple example domain. I will create a new domain ontology, link it to [[GeoSPARQL]], create some example data, and execute example queries.  My talk will assume basic knowledge of SPARQL, RDF, and Turtle.  
 
** ''Abstract:'' ... In this talk, I will introduce the basic components which make up the [[GeoSPARQL]] specification: the ontology, the relation predicates, and the query functions.  I will then walk through a simple example domain. I will create a new domain ontology, link it to [[GeoSPARQL]], create some example data, and execute example queries.  My talk will assume basic knowledge of SPARQL, RDF, and Turtle.  
  
* '''Professor [[KrishnaSinha]]''' (Virginia Tech) and '''Dr. [[LeoObrst]]''' (MITRE) - "'''Looking Back at the Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?
+
* '''Professor KrishnaSinha''' (Virginia Tech) and '''Dr. LeoObrst''' (MITRE) - "'''Looking Back at the Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?
'''"   [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-mini-series-wrap-up--KrishnaSinha-LeoObrst__20121212.pdf slides]
+
'''" [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-mini-series-wrap-up--KrishnaSinha-LeoObrst__20121212.pdf slides]  
 
** ''Abstract:'' ... The  Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series focused on the current status and application of multi-level ontologies towards developing a semantically enabled cyberinfrastructure for the Earth Science Community (ref. [[EarthScienceOntolog|our mini-series description, goals and objectives]]). We had five sessions in the series, of which this is the final. We addressed the value proposition for ontologies and Earth Science, looked at ontology development and application for the full lifecycle of Earth Science, addressed the deep topic of semantic interoperability and data integration for Earth Science, reviewed some of the Earth Science ontologies currently available or being worked, and, in this last session, have provided some tutorials and overviews for the Earth Science and its ontology-supporting community. We end with some prospective next steps.  
 
** ''Abstract:'' ... The  Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series focused on the current status and application of multi-level ontologies towards developing a semantically enabled cyberinfrastructure for the Earth Science Community (ref. [[EarthScienceOntolog|our mini-series description, goals and objectives]]). We had five sessions in the series, of which this is the final. We addressed the value proposition for ontologies and Earth Science, looked at ontology development and application for the full lifecycle of Earth Science, addressed the deep topic of semantic interoperability and data integration for Earth Science, reviewed some of the Earth Science ontologies currently available or being worked, and, in this last session, have provided some tutorials and overviews for the Earth Science and its ontology-supporting community. We end with some prospective next steps.  
  
Line 84: Line 84:
 
* '''Session Format:''' this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call  
 
* '''Session Format:''' this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call  
  
* 1. Opening - (co-chairs) - [[NancyWiegand]] & [[MikeDean]] [5 min.] ... [ [[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|slides]] ]
+
* 1. Opening - (co-chairs) - [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]] & [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]] [5 min.] ... [ [[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|slides]] ]  
* 2. Panel briefings - [[KrishnaSinha]], [[NancyWiegand]], [[LeoObrst]], [[DaveKolas]] - [~15 min. each]  
+
* 2. Panel briefings - [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]], [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]], [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]], [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]] - [~15 min. each]  
* 3. Q & A and open discussion [All: ~20 min.] -- please refer to [[ConferenceCall_2012_11_01|process above]]
+
* 3. Q & A and open discussion [All: ~20 min.] -- please refer to [[ConferenceCall_2012_11_01|process above]]  
* 4. Mini-series wrap-up - [[KrishnaSinha]] & [[LeoObrst]] [15 min.]  
+
* 4. Mini-series wrap-up - [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]] & [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] [15 min.]  
  
== Proceedings: ==
+
== Proceedings  ==
  
 
Please refer to the [[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|above]]  
 
Please refer to the [[ConferenceCall_2012_12_12|above]]  
  
'''IM Chat Transcript captured during the session:'''
+
===IM Chat Transcript captured during the session===
 
+
  
 
see raw transcript [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-s05_chat-transcript_unedited_20121212a.txt here].  
 
see raw transcript [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-s05_chat-transcript_unedited_20121212a.txt here].  
  
 +
(for better clarity, the version below is a [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-s05_chat-transcript_edited_20121212b.txt re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript].)
  
 
(for better clarity, the version below is a [http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/EarthScienceOntolog/2012-12-12_EarthScienceOntolog_session-5/EarthScienceOntolog-s05_chat-transcript_edited_20121212b.txt re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript].)
 
 
Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.  
 
Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.  
 
 
  
 
-- begin in-session chat-transcript --  
 
-- begin in-session chat-transcript --  
 
 
  
 
[08:50] Welcome to the  
 
[08:50] Welcome to the  
  
 
+
''' [[EarthScienceOntolog]]: Panel Session-5 - Thu 2012-12-12  '''
 
+
= [[EarthScienceOntolog]]: Panel Session-5 - Thu 2012-12-12  =
+
 
+
 
+
  
 
Mini-Series Theme: An Earth Science Ontology Dialog ("[[EarthScienceOntolog]]")  
 
Mini-Series Theme: An Earth Science Ontology Dialog ("[[EarthScienceOntolog]]")  
 
 
  
 
Session-5 Program:  
 
Session-5 Program:  
 
 
  
 
(A) Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data
 
(A) Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data
Co-chaired by: Dr. [[NancyWiegand]] (U of Wisconsin, Madison), and Mr. [[MikeDean]] (Raytheon BBN)
 
 
  
 +
Co-chaired by: Dr. [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]] (U of Wisconsin, Madison), and Mr. [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]] (Raytheon BBN)
  
 
(B) Mini-series wrap-up:  
 
(B) Mini-series wrap-up:  
 +
 
"Looking Back at the Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?"
 
"Looking Back at the Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?"
by Professor [[KrishnaSinha]] (Virginia Tech) and Dr. [[LeoObrst]] (MITRE)
 
 
  
 +
by Professor [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]] (Virginia Tech) and Dr. [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] (MITRE)
  
 
Panelists / Briefings (segment-A):  
 
Panelists / Briefings (segment-A):  
  
 +
Professor [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]] (Virginia Tech) - "Building Blocks for EarthCube"
  
 +
Dr. [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]] (U of Wisconsin, Madison) - "Semantics in EarthCube"
  
Professor [[KrishnaSinha]] (Virginia Tech) - "Building Blocks for [[EarthCube]]"
+
Dr. [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] (MITRE) - "Semantic Technology: A Tutorial"
Dr. [[NancyWiegand]] (U of Wisconsin, Madison) - "Semantics in [[EarthCube]]"
+
Dr. [[LeoObrst]] (MITRE) - "Semantic Technology: A Tutorial"
+
Mr. [[DaveKolas]] (Raytheon BBN) - "Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]"
+
 
+
  
 +
Mr. [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]] (Raytheon BBN) - "Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]"
  
 
Logistics:  
 
Logistics:  
 
 
  
 
* Refer to details on session page at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_12_12  
 
* Refer to details on session page at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_12_12  
  
 
+
* (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center) and morph from "anonymous" to your RealName  
 
+
* (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center) and morph from "anonymous" to your [[RealName]]
+
 
+
 
+
  
 
* Mute control: *7 to un-mute ... *6 to mute  
 
* Mute control: *7 to un-mute ... *6 to mute  
  
 +
* Can't find Skype Dial pad?
  
 +
** for Windows Skype users: it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"
  
* Can't find Skype Dial pad?
 
** for Windows Skype users: it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"
 
 
** for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,)  
 
** for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,)  
 +
 
if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it.  
 
if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it.  
 
 
  
 
0
 
0
== Proceedings: ==
 
 
  
 +
''' Proceedings: '''
  
 
0
 
0
[08:01] anonymous morphed into [[NancyWiegand]]
 
  
 +
[08:01] anonymous morphed into [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]]
  
 +
[08:06] anonymous morphed into [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]]
  
[08:06] anonymous morphed into [[NancyWiegand]]
+
[08:19] anonymous morphed into [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]]  
 
+
 
+
 
+
[08:19] anonymous morphed into [[NancyWiegand]]  
+
 
+
 
+
  
 
[08:54] anonymous morphed into krishna  
 
[08:54] anonymous morphed into krishna  
  
 +
[08:55] krishna morphed into [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]]
  
 +
[08:55] anonymous1 morphed into [[CharlesVardeman|Charles Vardeman]]
  
[08:55] krishna morphed into [[KrishnaSinha]]
+
[08:55] anonymous morphed into [[DamianGessler|Damian Gessler]]  
 
+
 
+
 
+
[08:55] anonymous1 morphed into [[CharlesVardeman]]
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
[08:55] anonymous morphed into [[DamianGessler]]  
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
[08:58] anonymous morphed into [[DavidButler]]
+
 
+
  
 +
[08:58] anonymous morphed into DavidButler
  
 
[09:01] alex.shkotin: Hi all:-)  
 
[09:01] alex.shkotin: Hi all:-)  
  
 +
[09:01] anonymous morphed into [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]
  
 +
[09:01] anonymous1 morphed into [[TomTinsley|Tom Tinsley]]
  
[09:01] anonymous morphed into [[DaveKolas]]  
+
[09:03] anonymous morphed into [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]  
  
 +
[09:05] anonymous1 morphed into [[MaraAbel|Mara Abel]]
  
 +
[09:05] anonymous2 morphed into [[DouglasFils|Douglas Fils]]
  
[09:01] anonymous1 morphed into [[TomTinsley]]
+
[09:06] anonymous morphed into [[RobertRovetto|Robert Rovetto]]  
 
+
 
+
 
+
[09:03] anonymous morphed into [[ArthurSmall]]
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
[09:05] anonymous1 morphed into [[MaraAbel]]
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
[09:05] anonymous2 morphed into [[DouglasFils]]
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
[09:06] anonymous morphed into [[RobertRovetto]]  
+
 
+
 
+
  
 
[09:09] Anne Thessen: I can see the slides, Krishna. All is good.  
 
[09:09] Anne Thessen: I can see the slides, Krishna. All is good.  
  
 +
[09:09] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]] started the session with an introduction of the session
  
 +
[09:09] List of attendees: Anne Thessen, [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]], [[CharlesVardeman|Charles Vardeman]], [[DamianGessler|Damian Gessler]], [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]],
  
[09:09] [[PeterYim]]: == [[NancyWiegand]] started the session with an introduction of the session
+
DavidButler, [[DeborahLNichols]], [[DouglasFils|Douglas Fils]], [[FranLightsom|Fran Lightsom]], [[GaryBergCross]], [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]], [[MaraAbel|Mara Abel]],
  
 +
[[MikeDean|Mike Dean]], [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]], [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]], [[RobertRovetto|Robert Rovetto]], [[TomTinsley|Tom Tinsley]], alex.shkotin, anonymous, anonymous1,
  
 +
anonymous2, krishna, [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]], vnc2
  
[09:09] List of attendees: Anne Thessen, [[ArthurSmall]], [[CharlesVardeman]], [[DamianGessler]], [[DaveKolas]],
+
[09:09] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]] presenting his talk on "Building Blocks for EarthCube"
[[DavidButler]], [[DeborahLNichols]], [[DouglasFils]], [[FranLightsom]], [[GaryBergCross]], [[LeoObrst]], [[MaraAbel]],
+
[[MikeDean]], [[NancyWiegand]], [[PeterYim]], [[RobertRovetto]], [[TomTinsley]], alex.shkotin, anonymous, anonymous1,
+
anonymous2, krishna, [[KrishnaSinha]], vnc2
+
  
 +
[09:16] alex.shkotin morphed into [[AlexShkotin|Alex Shkotin]]
  
 +
[09:17] anonymous morphed into [[ElizabethFlorescu|Elizabeth Florescu]]
  
[09:09] [[PeterYim]]: == [[KrishnaSinha]] presenting his talk on "Building Blocks for [[EarthCube]]"  
+
[09:24] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]] presenting: "Semantics in EarthCube"  
  
 +
[09:30] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] presents "Semantic Technology: A Tutorial"
  
 +
[09:30] anonymous morphed into [[ScottHills|Scott Hills]]
  
[09:16] alex.shkotin morphed into [[AlexShkotin]]  
+
[10:07] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]] doing the tutorial: "Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]"
  
 +
[10:32] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: @Dave: I see on slide 13 that at least some of the Region Connection Calculus
  
 
[09:17] anonymous morphed into [[ElizabethFlorescu]]
 
 
 
 
[09:24] [[PeterYim]]: == [[NancyWiegand]] presenting: "Semantics in [[EarthCube]]"
 
 
 
 
[09:30] [[PeterYim]]: == [[LeoObrst]] presents "Semantic Technology: A Tutorial"
 
 
 
 
[09:30] anonymous morphed into [[ScottHills]]
 
 
 
 
[10:07] [[PeterYim]]: == [[DaveKolas]] doing the tutorial: "Getting Started with [[GeoSPARQL]]"
 
 
 
 
[10:32] [[LeoObrst]]: @Dave: I see on slide 13 that at least some of the Region Connection Calculus
 
 
(RCC) axioms are supported. Are these actually expressed in detail usable by a reasoner?  
 
(RCC) axioms are supported. Are these actually expressed in detail usable by a reasoner?  
  
 +
[10:33] [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]: Leo: They are not usable by a OWL-SWRL style reasoner (qualitatively) at the
  
 
[10:33] [[DaveKolas]]: Leo: They are not usable by a OWL-SWRL style reasoner (qualitatively) at the
 
 
moment.  
 
moment.  
  
 +
[10:33] [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]: Current implementations reason about these quantitatively with the geometries
  
 +
[10:33] [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]: The specification supports qualitative reasoning, but you would need to supply
  
[10:33] [[DaveKolas]]: Current implementations reason about these quantitatively with the geometries
 
 
 
 
[10:33] [[DaveKolas]]: The specification supports qualitative reasoning, but you would need to supply
 
 
your own axioms for reasoning  
 
your own axioms for reasoning  
  
 +
[10:36] [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]]: @DaveKolas: How do you see the geospatial ontology linking to time ontology? I
  
 
[10:36] [[KrishnaSinha]]: @[[DaveKolas]]: How do you see the geospatial ontology linking to time ontology? I
 
 
am asking this because many geologic features have changed locations through time.  
 
am asking this because many geologic features have changed locations through time.  
  
 +
[10:38] [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]: @Krishna: You can use [[GeoSPARQL]] together with OWL-Time (or some other temporal
  
 
[10:38] [[DaveKolas]]: @Krishna: You can use [[GeoSPARQL]] together with OWL-Time (or some other temporal
 
 
ontology) if you need it. Parliament has temporal indexing for OWL-Time as well.  
 
ontology) if you need it. Parliament has temporal indexing for OWL-Time as well.  
  
 +
[10:38] [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]: @DaveKolas: How, if at all, can [[GeoSPARQL]] be used to handle spatio-temporal
  
 
[10:38] [[ArthurSmall]]: @[[DaveKolas]]: How, if at all, can [[GeoSPARQL]] be used to handle spatio-temporal
 
 
objects, such as a flight trajectory, or a moving storm front?  
 
objects, such as a flight trajectory, or a moving storm front?  
  
 +
[10:41] [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]: @ArthurSmall: There currently is not a good way in [[GeoSPARQL]] a way to describe
  
 +
trajectories, though that might make a good reusable extension. While you could describe the points
  
[10:41] [[DaveKolas]]: @[[ArthurSmall]]: There currently is not a good way in [[GeoSPARQL]] a way to describe
 
trajectories, though that might make a good reusable extension. While you could describe the points
 
 
along a path that something takes and attach temporal information to these points, this would get  
 
along a path that something takes and attach temporal information to these points, this would get  
 +
 
very verbose quickly.  
 
very verbose quickly.  
  
 +
[10:36] [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]: @LeoObrst: Every database schema has an implicit ontology. Are there any tools
  
 
[10:36] [[ArthurSmall]]: @[[LeoObrst]]: Every database schema has an implicit ontology. Are there any tools
 
 
that can scan an existing database and extract the implicit ontology and suggest an OWL ontology?  
 
that can scan an existing database and extract the implicit ontology and suggest an OWL ontology?  
  
 +
[10:42] [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]: Mic trouble. ... Could you just ask the Q?
  
 +
[10:42] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: @Arthur: I'll respond a bit to your question shortly.
  
[10:42] [[ArthurSmall]]: Mic trouble. ... Could you just ask the Q?
+
[10:52] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: @Arthur: I commented on some tools such as <nowiki>TopBraid</nowiki> which can ingest XML Schemas
  
 +
and assist in generating ontologies, but imperfectly and requires munging afterwards. Mike mentioned
  
 
[10:42] [[LeoObrst]]: @Arthur: I'll respond a bit to your question shortly.
 
 
 
 
[10:52] [[LeoObrst]]: @Arthur: I commented on some tools such as <nowiki>[[TopBraid]]</nowiki> which can ingest XML Schemas
 
and assist in generating ontologies, but imperfectly and requires munging afterwards. Mike mentioned
 
 
some relational db -> semantic web standards that have emerged.  
 
some relational db -> semantic web standards that have emerged.  
  
 +
[10:59] [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]: @LeoObrst: Thank you!
  
 +
[10:54] [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]]: @ArthurSmall: upcoming Recommendations (R2RML and the Direct Mapping) from the W3C
  
[10:59] [[ArthurSmall]]: @[[LeoObrst]]: Thank you!
+
RDB2RDF working group provide standard means of exposing relational data as RDF. See
  
 
 
[10:54] [[MikeDean]]: @[[ArthurSmall]]: upcoming Recommendations (R2RML and the Direct Mapping) from the W3C
 
RDB2RDF working group provide standard means of exposing relational data as RDF. See
 
 
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/  
 
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/  
  
 +
[10:58] [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]]: @ArthurSmall: These standardize what tools like D2RQ http://d2rq.org have provided
  
 
[10:58] [[MikeDean]]: @[[ArthurSmall]]: These standardize what tools like D2RQ http://d2rq.org have provided
 
 
for a long time. Much of the data in the Linked Data Cloud actually lives in relational databases.  
 
for a long time. Much of the data in the Linked Data Cloud actually lives in relational databases.  
  
 +
[10:59] [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]: @MikeDean: Thanks!
  
 +
[10:44] [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]: @Arthur: what I described might work ok if you were trying to track the locations
  
[10:59] [[ArthurSmall]]: @[[MikeDean]]: Thanks!
+
that a car stopped at along a trip, but would be bad if you needed very specific detail about
  
 
 
[10:44] [[DaveKolas]]: @Arthur: what I described might work ok if you were trying to track the locations
 
that a car stopped at along a trip, but would be bad if you needed very specific detail about
 
 
continuous motion  
 
continuous motion  
  
 +
[10:42] [[ScottHills|Scott Hills]]: Is there a standard web service interface for "publishing" an ontology, for
  
 +
consumption by applications? A simple example might involve consumption of distributed SKOS
  
[10:42] [[ScottHills]]: Is there a standard web service interface for "publishing" an ontology, for
 
consumption by applications? A simple example might involve consumption of distributed SKOS
 
 
ontologies by a semantic search app.  
 
ontologies by a semantic search app.  
  
 +
[10:44] [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]: @ScottHills: Maybe http://www.ontologymatching.org/?
  
 +
[10:45] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: @ScottHills - you might also want to check out the Open Ontology Repository (OOR)
  
[10:44] [[ArthurSmall]]: @[[ScottHills]]: Maybe http://www.ontologymatching.org/?
 
 
 
 
[10:45] [[PeterYim]]: @[[ScottHills]] - you might also want to check out the Open Ontology Repository (OOR)
 
 
initiative - see: http://oor.net for various implementations  
 
initiative - see: http://oor.net for various implementations  
  
 +
[10:45] [[DouglasFils|Douglas Fils]]: @ScottHills you might want to reference http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/
  
 
[10:45] [[DouglasFils]]: @[[ScottHills]] you might want to reference http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/
 
 
too  
 
too  
  
 +
[10:48] [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]: Or perhaps for registering the meta-data to an existing, professionally-created
  
 
[10:48] [[ArthurSmall]]: Or perhaps for registering the meta-data to an existing, professionally-created
 
 
ontology?  
 
ontology?  
  
 +
[10:51] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: == [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]] & [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]] doing the [[EarthScienceOntolog]] Mini-series wrap-up
  
 +
[10:56] [[AlexShkotin|Alex Shkotin]]: Great mini-series! Thank you:-)
  
[10:51] [[PeterYim]]: == [[KrishnaSinha]] & [[LeoObrst]] doing the [[EarthScienceOntolog]] Mini-series wrap-up
+
[11:00] [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]: Thanks all!
  
 +
[11:01] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: join us in the upcoming [[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]] activities - see:
  
 
[10:56] [[AlexShkotin]]: Great mini-series! Thank you:-)
 
 
 
 
[11:00] [[LeoObrst]]: Thanks all!
 
 
 
 
[11:01] [[PeterYim]]: join us in the upcoming [[OntologySummit2013]] activities - see:
 
 
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit  
 
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit  
  
 +
[11:03] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: a pre-launch community brainstorm session for the [[OntologySummit|Ontology Summit]] is coming up
  
 +
tomorrow - see: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_12_13 ... please come
  
[11:03] [[PeterYim]]: a pre-launch community brainstorm session for the [[OntologySummit]] is coming up
 
tomorrow - see: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_12_13 ... please come
 
 
(especially if you want to influence the outcome)! ... Also, mark your calendars for the  
 
(especially if you want to influence the outcome)! ... Also, mark your calendars for the  
[[OntologySummit2013]] Launch Event - Thursday 17-Jan-2013 2-Hr session starting 9:30am PST / 12:30pm
 
EST / 6:30pm CET / 17:30 GMT/UTC
 
  
 +
[[OntologySummit2013|Ontology Summit 2013]] Launch Event - Thursday 17-Jan-2013 2-Hr session starting 9:30am PST / 12:30pm
  
 +
EST / 6:30pm CET / 17:30 GMT/UTC
  
[11:03] [[PeterYim]]: great mini-series, thank you all for the contribution!  
+
[11:03] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: great mini-series, thank you all for the contribution!  
  
 +
[11:04] [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]: -- session ended: 11:00am PST --
  
 +
[11:04] List of chat-room participants: [[AlexShkotin|Alex Shkotin]], [[AnneThessen|Anne Thessen]], [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]], [[CharlesVardeman|Charles Vardeman]],
  
[11:04] [[PeterYim]]: -- session ended: 11:00am PST --
+
[[DaliaVaranka|Dalia Varanka]], [[DamianGessler|Damian Gessler]], [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]], DavidButler, [[DeborahLNichols]], [[DouglasFils|Douglas Fils]],  
 
+
 
+
 
+
[11:04] List of chat-room participants: [[AlexShkotin]], [[AnneThessen]], [[ArthurSmall]], [[CharlesVardeman]],
+
[[DaliaVaranka]], [[DamianGessler]], [[DaveKolas]], [[DavidButler]], [[DeborahLNichols]], [[DouglasFils]],  
+
[[ElizabethFlorescu]], [[FranLightsom]], [[GaryBergCross]], [[KrishnaSinha]], [[LeoObrst]], [[MaraAbel]], [[MikeDean]],
+
[[NancyWiegand]], [[PeterYim]], [[RobertRovetto]], [[ScottHills]], [[TomTinsley]], vnc2
+
  
 +
[[ElizabethFlorescu|Elizabeth Florescu]], [[FranLightsom|Fran Lightsom]], [[GaryBergCross]], [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]], [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]], [[MaraAbel|Mara Abel]], [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]],
  
 +
[[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]], [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]], [[RobertRovetto|Robert Rovetto]], [[ScottHills|Scott Hills]], [[TomTinsley|Tom Tinsley]], vnc2
  
 
-- end of in-session chat-transcript --  
 
-- end of in-session chat-transcript --  
 
  
 
* '''Further Question, Remarks & Interaction with the Community:'''  
 
* '''Further Question, Remarks & Interaction with the Community:'''  
Line 438: Line 337:
 
** please email <peter.yim@cim3.com> if you have any question.  
 
** please email <peter.yim@cim3.com> if you have any question.  
  
== Additional Resources: ==
+
== Additional Resources  ==
  
 
* Homepage of this '''[[EarthScienceOntolog]]''' mini-series  
 
* Homepage of this '''[[EarthScienceOntolog]]''' mini-series  
** Archive of the mini-series Kick-off session: "Value Proposition" - [[ConferenceCall_2012_08_23]]
+
** Archive of the mini-series Kick-off session: "Value Proposition" - ConferenceCall_2012_08_23  
** Archive of the mini-series session-2: "Ontology development and application across Earth Science Lifecycle" - [[ConferenceCall_2012_09_06]]
+
** Archive of the mini-series session-2: "Ontology development and application across Earth Science Lifecycle" - ConferenceCall_2012_09_06  
** Archive of the mini-series session-3: "Heterogeneity-preserving Data Interoperability: Methods and Challenges" - [[ConferenceCall_2012_10_11]]
+
** Archive of the mini-series session-3: "Heterogeneity-preserving Data Interoperability: Methods and Challenges" - ConferenceCall_2012_10_11  
** Archive of the mini-series session-4: "A Review of Ontologies for Earth Sciences" - [[ConferenceCall_2012_11_01]]
+
** Archive of the mini-series session-4: "A Review of Ontologies for Earth Sciences" - ConferenceCall_2012_11_01  
* '''[[EarthCube]] Project''' Homepage - http://earthcube.ning.com/  
+
* '''EarthCube Project''' Homepage - http://earthcube.ning.com/  
** [[EarthCube]] "Semantics and Ontologies" workgroup - http://earthcube.ning.com/group/semantics-and-ontologies  
+
** [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] "Semantics and Ontologies" workgroup - http://earthcube.ning.com/group/semantics-and-ontologies  
** [[EarthCube]] "Semantics and Ontology Community Group (Sem-cg)" Mailing List - '''[Sem-cg]''': [http://mail.earthcube.org/pipermail/sem-cg_earthcube.org/ msg-archives] ; [http://mail.earthcube.org/mailman/listinfo/sem-cg_earthcube.org/ listinfo]  
+
** [[EarthCube|Earth Cube]] "Semantics and Ontology Community Group (Sem-cg)" Mailing List - '''[Sem-cg]''': [http://mail.earthcube.org/pipermail/sem-cg_earthcube.org/ msg-archives] ; [http://mail.earthcube.org/mailman/listinfo/sem-cg_earthcube.org/ listinfo]  
* Home page of the Spatial Ontology Community of Practice ([[SOCoP]]) - http://socop.org  
+
* Home page of the Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP) - http://socop.org  
 
* Home page of the International Association for Ontology and its Applications ([[IAOA]]) - http://iaoa.org  
 
* Home page of the International Association for Ontology and its Applications ([[IAOA]]) - http://iaoa.org  
 
* Take a look, also, at the rich body of knowledge that the Ontolog community has built out over the years, by going through the [[WikiHomePage|archives of noteworthy past Ontolog events.]]  
 
* Take a look, also, at the rich body of knowledge that the Ontolog community has built out over the years, by going through the [[WikiHomePage|archives of noteworthy past Ontolog events.]]  
Line 471: Line 370:
  
 
* Dial-in:  
 
* Dial-in:  
** '''Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100''' ... (long distance cost may apply)
+
** '''Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100''' ... (long distance cost may apply)  
 
*** ... [ backup nbr: (415) 671-4335 ]  
 
*** ... [ backup nbr: (415) 671-4335 ]  
 
*** when prompted enter '''Conference ID: 141184#'''  
 
*** when prompted enter '''Conference ID: 141184#'''  
** '''Skype: joinconference''' (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer)
+
** '''Skype: joinconference''' (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer)  
 
*** when prompted enter '''Conference ID: 141184#'''  
 
*** when prompted enter '''Conference ID: 141184#'''  
 
*** Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...  
 
*** Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...  
Line 480: Line 379:
 
*** Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...  
 
*** Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...  
 
**** for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"  
 
**** for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"  
**** for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... ([[VirtualSpeakerSessionTips|ref.]])
+
**** for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... ([[VirtualSpeakerSessionTips|ref.]])  
  
 
* '''Shared-screen support''' (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/  
 
* '''Shared-screen support''' (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/  
Line 488: Line 387:
  
 
* '''In-session chat'''-room url: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/ontolog_20121212  
 
* '''In-session chat'''-room url: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/ontolog_20121212  
** instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "[[JaneDoe]]").  
+
** instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").  
 
** You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.  
 
** You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.  
 
** thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20121212@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!  
 
** thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20121212@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!  
Line 504: Line 403:
 
* This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_12_12  
 
* This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_12_12  
  
* Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under [[WikiHomePage|our prevailing open IPR policy]].  
+
* Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under [[WikiHomePage#Intellectual_Property_Rights_.28IPR.29_Policy|our prevailing open IPR policy]].  
  
== Attendees: ==
+
== Attendees  ==
  
* Attended: (including all registrants)
+
* Attended: (including all registrants)  
** [[NancyWiegand]] (co-chair)  
+
** [[NancyWiegand|Nancy Wiegand]] (co-chair)  
** [[MikeDean]] (co-chair)  
+
** [[MikeDean|Mike Dean]] (co-chair)  
** [[KrishnaSinha]]  
+
** [[KrishnaSinha|Krishna Sinha]]  
** [[LeoObrst]]  
+
** [[LeoObrst|Leo Obrst]]  
** [[DaveKolas]]  
+
** [[DaveKolas|Dave Kolas]]  
** [[PeterYim]]  
+
** [[PeterYim|Peter P. Yim]]  
** [[DeborahNichols]]  
+
** [[DeborahNichols|Deborah Nichols]]  
** [[ScottHills]]  
+
** [[ScottHills|Scott Hills]]  
** [[FranLightsom]]  
+
** [[FranLightsom|Fran Lightsom]]  
** [[AnneThessen]]  
+
** [[AnneThessen|Anne Thessen]]  
** [[KarenSchuchardt]]  
+
** [[KarenSchuchardt|Karen Schuchardt]]  
** [[FrankChum]]  
+
** [[FrankChum|Frank Chum]]  
** [[RobertRovetto]]  
+
** [[RobertRovetto|Robert Rovetto]]  
** [[DavidButler]]
+
** DavidButler  
** [[MichaelDenny]]  
+
** [[MichaelDenny|Michael Denny]]  
** [[TomTinsley]]  
+
** [[TomTinsley|Tom Tinsley]]  
** [[DamianGessler]]  
+
** [[DamianGessler|Damian Gessler]]  
** [[TorstenHahmann]]  
+
** [[User:TorstenHahmann|Torsten Hahmann]]  
** [[ElizabethFlorescu]]  
+
** [[ElizabethFlorescu|Elizabeth Florescu]]  
** [[AlexShkotin]]  
+
** [[AlexShkotin|Alex Shkotin]]  
 
** [[GaryBergCross]]  
 
** [[GaryBergCross]]  
** [[RuthDuerr]]  
+
** [[RuthDuerr|Ruth Duerr]]  
** [[CharlesVardeman]]  
+
** [[CharlesVardeman|Charles Vardeman]]  
** [[MarcioFaerman]]  
+
** [[MarcioFaerman|Marcio Faerman]]  
** [[ArthurSmall]]  
+
** [[ArthurSmall|Arthur Small]]  
** [[DouglasFils]]  
+
** [[DouglasFils|Douglas Fils]]  
** [[RalphGrove]]  
+
** [[RalphGrove|Ralph Grove]]  
** [[DaliaVaranka]]  
+
** [[DaliaVaranka|Dalia Varanka]]  
** [[MaraAbel]]  
+
** [[MaraAbel|Mara Abel]]  
  
 
* Expecting:  
 
* Expecting:  
Line 544: Line 443:
  
 
* Regrets:  
 
* Regrets:  
** [[NaicongLi]]  
+
** [[NaicongLi|Naicong Li]]  
** ...
+
** ...  
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Event_Meeting]]    [[Category:SOCoP]]    [[Category:EarthScienceOntolog]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
This page has been migrated from the [http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki  OntologWiki] - Click [http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_12_12 here] for original page

Latest revision as of 01:40, 9 January 2016

[ ]

Contents

[edit] EarthScienceOntolog: Panel Session-05 - Wed 2012-12-12     (1)

Mini-Series Theme: An Earth Science Ontology Dialog ("EarthScienceOntolog")     (1A)

Session-5 Program:     (1B)

  • (A) Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data ... intro slides     (1C)
    • Co-chaired by: Dr. NancyWiegand (U of Wisconsin, Madison), and Mr. MikeDean (Raytheon BBN)     (1C1)
  • (B) Mini-series wrap-up: "Looking Back at the Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?" ... slides     (1D)
    • by Professor KrishnaSinha (Virginia Tech) and Dr. LeoObrst (MITRE)     (1D1)

Panelists / Briefings (segment-A):     (1E)

[edit] Abstract     (1K)

Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data - intro slides     (1K1)

This is the 5th and final session of the Joint EarthCube-Ontolog Mini-series on "Ontology and Semantic Technology for the Earth Science Community" - a series of panel sessions dubbed: "EarthScienceOntolog" - an Earth Science Ontology Dialog.     (1K2)

This mini-series of events are co-organized/supported by members of the Earth Cube community, Ontolog community, SOCoP community, IAOA community.     (1K3)

We will continue the mini-series process (see kick-off session abstract) with the aim of enabling meaningful dialog between members of both communities (Earth Science and ontology/semantics). To this end we seek to further an understanding of Earth Science system requirements expressed in such things as use cases, geo-science identified problems and issues, extant system architectures and their lifecycles, the status of relevant ontological engineering, architectures and approaches, and prospective tools.     (1K4)

In this last session of the Earth Science Ontology Dialog mini-series, we will start by discussing the building blocks for the Earth Cube program. That will be followed by two tutorials - one on semantic technologies, ontologies, and the Web Ontology Language (OWL); the other on GeoSPARQL.     (1K5)

At the end, the mini-series is summarized with some discussion on next steps in working toward semantics for Earth Science data.     (1K6)

More details about this mini-series can be found at: EarthScienceOntolog (home page for this mini-series)     (1K7)

[edit] Briefings     (1K8)

Abstract: ... Earth Cube building blocks are components of an overarching architecture designed to support objectives of Earth Cube identified by National Science Foundation (Jacobs[1], 2012; Killeen[2], 2012), as well as those highlighted in the European Commission report Riding the Wave;     (1K8B)
o Data publication and access: developing new technologies to enable individuals and large data centers to publish data, as well as enabling access through semantic technologies. These technologies must be coupled with a reward system to encourage data sharing.     (1K8B1)
o Collection: develop community endorsed simple metadata requirements for data providers to facilitate access to both curated as well non curated data     (1K8B2)
o Diversity: provide capabilities to access and discover heterogeneous resources     (1K8B3)
o Interoperability: provide capabilities (semantic as well as syntactic ) to understand the content of databases, as well as support discovery of resources beyond keyword searches     (1K8B4)
o Trust: provide innovative algorithms to enhance users trust of data they are unfamiliar with, as well as management of resources to enhance trust in the source of the data     (1K8B5)
o Security: New technologies to enhance data integrity, as well as capabilities to detect data biased by a group or individual     (1K8B6)
o Education and training: New capabilities to generate interest in geoscience through training of data scientists and librarians, as well as providing capabilities to bring information to a class room setting     (1K8B7)
o Usability: Provide new technologies to enable non-specialists to use data, as well as scientists to work with unfamiliar data     (1K8B8)
o Preservation and Sustainability: Develop capabilities to preserve current data, as well as legacy data     (1K8B9)
o Commercial exploitation: Utilize commercial developments to enable revenue generation for sustainability of resources     (1K8B10)
To meet such objectives, synergy between science and informatics is required to develop a more robust understanding of the earth as a system of systems. Interaction of these systems is recorded in both geological and biological data, yet the capability to integrate across disciplines is hampered by diverse social and technological approaches to research and communication. A significant challenge that must be met in order to promote such an understanding encompasses the integrated development of social, engineering and science based infrastructures.     (1K8C)
References:     (1K8D)
[1] Jacobs, C., 2012, Earth Cube: Developing a Framework to Create and Manage Knowledge in the Geosciences, Earth Observation, Technology, http://www.earthzine.org/2012/02/01/earthcube-developing-a-framework-to-create-and-manage-knowledge-in-the-geosciences/     (1K8D1)
[2] Killeen, T., 2012, Data Citation in the Geosciences, http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12058/nsf12058.jsp     (1K8D2)
  • Dr. LeoObrst (MITRE) - "Semantic Technology: A Tutorial" slides     (1K8F)
    • Abstract: ... This short tutorial is an introduction to semantic technologies, ontologies, and OWL. The focus is on the contributions of semantic technologies and ontologies in particular to solving real information technology problems. The tutorial does not presuppose any previous detailed technical background in these topics, but a general technical background in information technology is assumed.     (1K8F1)
  • Mr. DaveKolas (Raytheon BBN) - "Getting Started with GeoSPARQL" slides     (1K8G)
    • Abstract: ... In this talk, I will introduce the basic components which make up the GeoSPARQL specification: the ontology, the relation predicates, and the query functions. I will then walk through a simple example domain. I will create a new domain ontology, link it to GeoSPARQL, create some example data, and execute example queries. My talk will assume basic knowledge of SPARQL, RDF, and Turtle.     (1K8G1)
  • Professor KrishnaSinha (Virginia Tech) and Dr. LeoObrst (MITRE) - "Looking Back at the Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?     (1K8H)

    • Abstract: ... The Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series focused on the current status and application of multi-level ontologies towards developing a semantically enabled cyberinfrastructure for the Earth Science Community (ref. our mini-series description, goals and objectives). We had five sessions in the series, of which this is the final. We addressed the value proposition for ontologies and Earth Science, looked at ontology development and application for the full lifecycle of Earth Science, addressed the deep topic of semantic interoperability and data integration for Earth Science, reviewed some of the Earth Science ontologies currently available or being worked, and, in this last session, have provided some tutorials and overviews for the Earth Science and its ontology-supporting community. We end with some prospective next steps.     (1K8J1)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1L2)

[edit] Proceedings     (1M)

Please refer to the above     (1M1)

[edit] IM Chat Transcript captured during the session    (1M2)

see raw transcript here.     (1M2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1M2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1M2C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1M2D)

[08:50] Welcome to the     (1M2E)

EarthScienceOntolog: Panel Session-5 - Thu 2012-12-12     (1M2F)

Mini-Series Theme: An Earth Science Ontology Dialog ("EarthScienceOntolog")     (1M2G)

Session-5 Program:     (1M2H)

(A) Moving Forward with Semantics for Earth Science Data     (1M2I)

Co-chaired by: Dr. Nancy Wiegand (U of Wisconsin, Madison), and Mr. Mike Dean (Raytheon BBN)     (1M2J)

(B) Mini-series wrap-up:     (1M2K)

"Looking Back at the Earth Science - Ontolog mini-series: What Did We Accomplish and Where are We Now?"     (1M2L)

by Professor Krishna Sinha (Virginia Tech) and Dr. Leo Obrst (MITRE)     (1M2M)

Panelists / Briefings (segment-A):     (1M2N)

Professor Krishna Sinha (Virginia Tech) - "Building Blocks for EarthCube"     (1M2O)

Dr. Nancy Wiegand (U of Wisconsin, Madison) - "Semantics in EarthCube"     (1M2P)

Dr. Leo Obrst (MITRE) - "Semantic Technology: A Tutorial"     (1M2Q)

Mr. Dave Kolas (Raytheon BBN) - "Getting Started with GeoSPARQL"     (1M2R)

Logistics:     (1M2S)

  • (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center) and morph from "anonymous" to your RealName     (1M2U)
    • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,)     (1M2Y1)

if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it.     (1M2Z)

Proceedings:     (1M2AB)

[08:01] anonymous morphed into Nancy Wiegand     (1M2AD)

[08:06] anonymous morphed into Nancy Wiegand     (1M2AE)

[08:19] anonymous morphed into Nancy Wiegand     (1M2AF)

[08:54] anonymous morphed into krishna     (1M2AG)

[08:55] krishna morphed into Krishna Sinha     (1M2AH)

[08:55] anonymous1 morphed into Charles Vardeman     (1M2AI)

[08:55] anonymous morphed into Damian Gessler     (1M2AJ)

[08:58] anonymous morphed into DavidButler     (1M2AK)

[09:01] alex.shkotin: Hi all:-)     (1M2AL)

[09:01] anonymous morphed into Dave Kolas     (1M2AM)

[09:01] anonymous1 morphed into Tom Tinsley     (1M2AN)

[09:03] anonymous morphed into Arthur Small     (1M2AO)

[09:05] anonymous1 morphed into Mara Abel     (1M2AP)

[09:05] anonymous2 morphed into Douglas Fils     (1M2AQ)

[09:06] anonymous morphed into Robert Rovetto     (1M2AR)

[09:09] Anne Thessen: I can see the slides, Krishna. All is good.     (1M2AS)

[09:09] Peter P. Yim: == Nancy Wiegand started the session with an introduction of the session     (1M2AT)

[09:09] List of attendees: Anne Thessen, Arthur Small, Charles Vardeman, Damian Gessler, Dave Kolas,     (1M2AU)

anonymous2, krishna, Krishna Sinha, vnc2     (1M2AX)

[09:09] Peter P. Yim: == Krishna Sinha presenting his talk on "Building Blocks for EarthCube"     (1M2AY)

[09:16] alex.shkotin morphed into Alex Shkotin     (1M2AZ)

[09:17] anonymous morphed into Elizabeth Florescu     (1M2AAA)

[09:24] Peter P. Yim: == Nancy Wiegand presenting: "Semantics in EarthCube"     (1M2AAB)

[09:30] Peter P. Yim: == Leo Obrst presents "Semantic Technology: A Tutorial"     (1M2AAC)

[09:30] anonymous morphed into Scott Hills     (1M2AAD)

[10:07] Peter P. Yim: == Dave Kolas doing the tutorial: "Getting Started with GeoSPARQL"     (1M2AAE)

[10:32] Leo Obrst: @Dave: I see on slide 13 that at least some of the Region Connection Calculus     (1M2AAF)

(RCC) axioms are supported. Are these actually expressed in detail usable by a reasoner?     (1M2AAG)

[10:33] Dave Kolas: Leo: They are not usable by a OWL-SWRL style reasoner (qualitatively) at the     (1M2AAH)

[10:33] Dave Kolas: Current implementations reason about these quantitatively with the geometries     (1M2AAJ)

[10:33] Dave Kolas: The specification supports qualitative reasoning, but you would need to supply     (1M2AAK)

your own axioms for reasoning     (1M2AAL)

[10:36] Krishna Sinha: @DaveKolas: How do you see the geospatial ontology linking to time ontology? I     (1M2AAM)

am asking this because many geologic features have changed locations through time.     (1M2AAN)

[10:38] Dave Kolas: @Krishna: You can use GeoSPARQL together with OWL-Time (or some other temporal     (1M2AAO)

ontology) if you need it. Parliament has temporal indexing for OWL-Time as well.     (1M2AAP)

[10:38] Arthur Small: @DaveKolas: How, if at all, can GeoSPARQL be used to handle spatio-temporal     (1M2AAQ)

objects, such as a flight trajectory, or a moving storm front?     (1M2AAR)

[10:41] Dave Kolas: @ArthurSmall: There currently is not a good way in GeoSPARQL a way to describe     (1M2AAS)

trajectories, though that might make a good reusable extension. While you could describe the points     (1M2AAT)

along a path that something takes and attach temporal information to these points, this would get     (1M2AAU)

very verbose quickly.     (1M2AAV)

[10:36] Arthur Small: @LeoObrst: Every database schema has an implicit ontology. Are there any tools     (1M2AAW)

that can scan an existing database and extract the implicit ontology and suggest an OWL ontology?     (1M2AAX)

[10:42] Arthur Small: Mic trouble. ... Could you just ask the Q?     (1M2AAY)

[10:42] Leo Obrst: @Arthur: I'll respond a bit to your question shortly.     (1M2AAZ)

[10:52] Leo Obrst: @Arthur: I commented on some tools such as TopBraid which can ingest XML Schemas     (1M2AAAA)

and assist in generating ontologies, but imperfectly and requires munging afterwards. Mike mentioned     (1M2AAAB)

some relational db -> semantic web standards that have emerged.     (1M2AAAC)

[10:59] Arthur Small: @LeoObrst: Thank you!     (1M2AAAD)

[10:54] Mike Dean: @ArthurSmall: upcoming Recommendations (R2RML and the Direct Mapping) from the W3C     (1M2AAAE)

RDB2RDF working group provide standard means of exposing relational data as RDF. See     (1M2AAAF)

[10:58] Mike Dean: @ArthurSmall: These standardize what tools like D2RQ http://d2rq.org have provided     (1M2AAAH)

for a long time. Much of the data in the Linked Data Cloud actually lives in relational databases.     (1M2AAAI)

[10:59] Arthur Small: @MikeDean: Thanks!     (1M2AAAJ)

[10:44] Dave Kolas: @Arthur: what I described might work ok if you were trying to track the locations     (1M2AAAK)

that a car stopped at along a trip, but would be bad if you needed very specific detail about     (1M2AAAL)

continuous motion     (1M2AAAM)

[10:42] Scott Hills: Is there a standard web service interface for "publishing" an ontology, for     (1M2AAAN)

consumption by applications? A simple example might involve consumption of distributed SKOS     (1M2AAAO)

ontologies by a semantic search app.     (1M2AAAP)

[10:45] Peter P. Yim: @ScottHills - you might also want to check out the Open Ontology Repository (OOR)     (1M2AAAR)

initiative - see: http://oor.net for various implementations     (1M2AAAS)

[10:45] Douglas Fils: @ScottHills you might want to reference http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/     (1M2AAAT)

[10:48] Arthur Small: Or perhaps for registering the meta-data to an existing, professionally-created     (1M2AAAV)

[10:51] Peter P. Yim: == Krishna Sinha & Leo Obrst doing the EarthScienceOntolog Mini-series wrap-up     (1M2AAAX)

[10:56] Alex Shkotin: Great mini-series! Thank you:-)     (1M2AAAY)

[11:00] Leo Obrst: Thanks all!     (1M2AAAZ)

[11:01] Peter P. Yim: join us in the upcoming Ontology Summit 2013 activities - see:     (1M2AAAAA)

[11:03] Peter P. Yim: a pre-launch community brainstorm session for the Ontology Summit is coming up     (1M2AAAAC)

(especially if you want to influence the outcome)! ... Also, mark your calendars for the     (1M2AAAAE)

Ontology Summit 2013 Launch Event - Thursday 17-Jan-2013 2-Hr session starting 9:30am PST / 12:30pm     (1M2AAAAF)

EST / 6:30pm CET / 17:30 GMT/UTC     (1M2AAAAG)

[11:03] Peter P. Yim: great mini-series, thank you all for the contribution!     (1M2AAAAH)

[11:04] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:00am PST --     (1M2AAAAI)

[11:04] List of chat-room participants: Alex Shkotin, Anne Thessen, Arthur Small, Charles Vardeman,     (1M2AAAAJ)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1M2AAAAN)

[edit] Additional Resources     (1N)


For the record ...     (1N6)

[edit] How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1O)

  • Dial-in:     (1O4D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1O4D1)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer)     (1O4D2)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1O4D2A)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1O4D2B)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1O4D2B1)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1O4D2C)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1O4D2C1)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later or the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1O4D2C2)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1O4E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1O4E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1O4E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1O4E3)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1O4F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1O4F2)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20121212@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1O4F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1O4G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1O4G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1O4G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1O4G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1O4G4)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1O4I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1O4K)

[edit] Attendees     (1P)

  • Expecting:     (1P2)
    • ... if you are coming to the session, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above; or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1P3A)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1P5)