From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

UpperOntologySummit - Conveners Conference Call 2006-03-02     (1)

Call Details     (1A)

Attendees     (1B)

Agenda (items to be discussed) Ideas     (1C)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E)

1) Welcome & confirmation of agenda     (1E1)

2) Appointment of secretary to take minutes     (1E3)

3) Roll-call of participants - see above     (1E5)

4) Review of the goals of the Upper Ontology Summit     (1E6)

  • Steve: identify and articulate to the public that there is hope and a path to link into an upper ontology (without that being a risky endeavor)     (1E7)
  • Steve: to will need to identify one (or more) avenues to achieve that goal     (1E8)
  • Steve: maybe we can build the consensus out better with the wiki, in addition to the threaded conversation     (1E9)

5) Enumerating the most promising avenues to achieving the goals     (1E10)

  • maping approach     (1E11)
  • common subset ontology - then creating all terms and concepts based on the common subset (PatCassidy)     (1E12)
  • (MichaelGruninger's) axiomatically driven deductive approach     (1E13)
  • Linking Ontolgies - partial ordering     (1E14)
  • (JohnSowa's) Lattice of Ontologies     (1E15)
  • Nicola Guarino: interrelating, comparing, account for differences ... (Dagobert, Pat & Matthew concur)     (1E16)

6) engaging the 'real custodians'     (1E19)

  • we have less than unanimous participation so far - how can we get everyone engaged?     (1E20)
  • the fact that everyone has agreed to partcipate and come is a good indication that there is some coherence here     (1E21)
  • conspicuously needed to engage: Doug, Adam (he's traveling, probably until at least 3/3)     (1E22)
    • Steve will e-mail them to bring them into the conversation     (1E22A)

7) adopting the list of co-sponsors     (1E23)

8) Public Announcement     (1E26)

9) Funding possibilities     (1E29)

  • the IKRIS project - relating PSL to Cyc - is getting trickle funding(may even end in 6 months) but it's a good start     (1E30)
  • potentials:     (1E31)
    • John Walker     (1E31B)
    • Nancy Lawler (ISO 11179)     (1E31C)
    • new W3C acitivity - to define reference ontology (announcement just came out yesterday) - Leo will try to get more info, we need to participate there, and get those people to participate here     (1E31D)
    • EU funding - at least to the European participants (Steve: the EC is actually softening the position of 'not funding US projects' which they used to practise before.)     (1E31E)

10) Bill: we should also present some empirical data on how upper ontologies have been used     (1E32)

11) Action Items - review what needs to be done between now and 3/14/06     (1E37)

13) Next meeting date and adjournment     (1E45)

  • Next call? will be on Wed 2006.03.08 at 11:00am~12:00noon EST     (1E46)
    • goal: reach a degree of consensus on the communique and on the issues that stand before us on connecting the ontologies     (1E46A)
  • call adjourned 7:51 am PST / 10:51 am EST     (1E47)

above minutes captured in real time on this wiki by Peter P. Yim / 2006.03.02-7:52 am PST     (1E49)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1E50)