From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

UpperOntologySummit - Organizing Committee Conference Call 2006-02-02     (1)

Call Details     (1A)

Attendees     (1B)

Agenda (items to be discussed) Ideas     (1C)

  • ...(please add suggested items here)...     (1C1)
  • who will be the co-organizers & co-sponsors     (1C2)
  • PPY: short, medium and long term objectives     (1C3)
  • PPY: our approach: "confined and focused" vs. "broad and inclusive"     (1C4)
  • Pat & Peter: funding and fundraising     (1C5)
  • PPY: getting buy-ins from the global standards community     (1C6)
  • Pat & PPY: wordsmith and adopt a one line statement of the UOS purpose     (1C7)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E)

1) Welcome & confirmation of agenda     (1E1)

2) Appointment of secretary to take minutes     (1E3)

3) Roll-call of participants - see above     (1E5)

4) Urgent matters to be attended to     (1E6)

5) Communications, logistics, & work protocols issues     (1E7)

  • responses from panelists to our invitation     (1E10)
    • got responses from: Aldo, Matthew, Barry, Guarino, ... (Adam)     (1E10A)
    • Steve: Doug called and talked for a while, he is wonderful if this is one of those efforts that repeats every few years, and goes nowhere.     (1E10B)
      • Doug also thing the mid-level is more important; pragmatic usefulness is also more important;     (1E10B1)
      • Steve: my view (being very pragmatic too) that why this is necessary - help consolidate the marketplace; as a foundation for future normative standards;     (1E10B2)
      • Doug came away feeling better that we aren't just coming together to argue. Will continue to ponder, but may still need to send someone. Doug will call Steve back by the end of this week.     (1E10B3)
      • Pat: this actually doesn't every few years ... it's the first time customdians of key upper ontologies are getting together to address this matter     (1E10B4)

7) Status review and ongoing discussions     (1E11)

  • Tue 3/14 am meeting - NIST Plenary, instead of NSF meeting     (1E12)
    • NSF meeting will now be -- Tue 2/14 before the 10:30am plenary     (1E12A)
  • Funding requirements, sources and approach     (1E15)
    • candidate Mark Greaves of Vulcan - Leo Obrst to approach him     (1E15A)
      • Mark already responded - regrets.     (1E15A1)
      • Brand: Mark is also coming to the 4th Semantic Technology for eGov Conference at Mitre (Feb. 9~10, 2006)     (1E15A2)
    • candidate Christy Welty of IBM - Leo Obrst to approach him     (1E15B)
    • candidate George Strawn of NSF - Brand / Peter to approach him to get NSF to be a co-organizer/sponsor, to pay for the travel and possibly have the speakers do a session at NSF too     (1E15C)
      • Steve/2006.02.02: George may not be the right person to propose to     (1E15C1)
      • Steve/2006.02.02: rather than a grant proposal, we could try to convince them to put this as a focus for a program area     (1E15C2)
    • Brand Niemann: consider a joint proposal to NSF for funding the UO common subset, and possibly get EU funding too (cast this as a joint US-EU effort)     (1E15D)
      • Brand / Leo: the approach could be:     (1E15D1)
        • (i) ask people we are inviting if they are willing to do a joint proposal for a program     (1E15D1A)
        • (ii) go to George Strawn to ask if they are willing to support the idea     (1E15D1B)
        • (iii) arrange a presentation of that joint proposal to NSF (say, on morning of Mar. 14, 2006)     (1E15D1C)
    • Brand Niemann: candidate Tony Stanco - Brand to approach him about connecting to angel funders     (1E15E)
  • Brand Niemann suggests we have a report as a deliverable from this meeting to be (among others) presented to FOIS Conference in Baltimore, MD Nov. 2006, also 5th International Semantic Web conference     (1E17)

8) New Issues     (1E19)

  • Invitation to the key participants (outside of the panelists)     (1E20)
  • Tuesday afternoon meeting participants     (1E24)
    • Organizing Committee members, panelists, Bill Andersen, Mark Musen, Chris Welty, Michael Uschold, DieterFensel.     (1E24A)
    • the same list will start conversing on [uos-convene]     (1E24B)
    • Steve to send invitation (mentioning the list too) ... on their confirmation, we'll subscribe everyone and start the dialog     (1E24C)
    • Pat will send the opening e-mail (draft to be reviewed by org comm) and then guide the conversation on the [uos-convene] list with the jhope that everything can be agreed upon before people arrives at Gaithersburg     (1E24D)

9) Action Items     (1E25)

10) Next meeting date and adjournment     (1E30)

  • Next Thursday 2006.02.09 will run into a conflict with the 4th Semantic Technology for eGovernmet Conference     (1E31)
    • to discuss: move next call to Thu 2006.02.16 starting at 12:30 pm PST / 3:30pm EST     (1E31A)

minutes captured in real time on this wiki by Peter P. Yim / 2006.02.02-4:43pm PST     (1E34)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1E35)