From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

UpperOntologySummit - Organizing Committee Kick-off Meeting 2005-12-08     (1)

Call Details     (1A)

Attendees     (1B)

Agenda Ideas     (1C)

  • Pat Cassidy - a whole list which he had emailed out on Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:34:40 -0500     (1C1)
  • Steve Ray: need a short abstract for the panel (Steve will prepare draft for review during this meeting.)     (1C2)
  • Peter P. Yim: open vs. closed communication during the prep stage - need decision by the committee here     (1C3)
  • Leo Obrst: provided contact for ISO-11179 if we the decision is to involve them at this stage too     (1C4)
  • Peter P. Yim: would really hope to have a Nicola Guarino presentation on DOLCE at Ontolog between now and then, and really hope we can have Nicola over in person for this event     (1C5)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E)

1) Welcome & confirmation of agenda     (1E1)

2) Appointment of secretary to take minutes     (1E3)

3) Roll-call of participants - see above     (1E5)

4) Communications, logistics, & work protocols issues - more discussion below     (1E6)

  • open vs. closed communication during the prep stage     (1E7)
  • starting a new archived mailing list for this organizational activity - listname: [???]     (1E8)
    • agreed that this will be a closed (password protected) list, for organizing committee members only.     (1E8A)
    • Peter will set up the list and inform everyone on the committee when done.     (1E8B)
  • starting a new archived mailing list for the pre- and post- event content activity, between and among the event organizers and the kep participants/panelists - listname: [???]     (1E9)
    • agreed that this will be an open list. Organizing committee members are tasked to make sure we keep the discussion positive, and conducive to the goal of our event.     (1E9A)
    • Peter will set up the list and inform everyone when done.     (1E9B)
  • Name of the Event: "Upper Ontology Summit"     (1E10)

6) More discussion on agenda item #4:     (1E13)

  • Issue of posting the discussion on the list, versus group email. Pat is concerned about ruffling feathers while we are still reaching closure. Possibility of people feeling ambushed and pressured. The need to be able to speak freely without worrying about full, public scrutiny of the discussion of various sensitivities.     (1E14)

Agreed on a password-protected archived mailing list for working the issues. Conclusions will then be published on the public wiki.     (1E15)

  • Peter then suggested a second, open list, for the organizing committee to communicate with the invitees. Calling this "List B". Agreed that this second list will be open. It will created, or at least used, only once the respective invitees have been contacted.     (1E16)

7) Some discussion on organization & candidate panelists: (discussion will need to continue next week)     (1E18)

8) Goals for the summit:     (1E22)

Pat: We should try to get each of the "custodians" of the leading existing upper ontologies, to agree to a subset of the intersection of these ontologies. Some have said they are willing to change parts of their existing ontologies. The vision: you could have fairly simple ontologies in, say, OWL which would be consistent with, and convertible to, this subset. This would allow people to migrate from one to another, secure in the knowledge that they are interoperable. So, the goal for the summit would be to get the participants to agree to the vision as described above. See Pat's long private email on this subject.     (1E23)

Peter: The tangible output could be a joint communique articlating this vision, and possibly a timeline. What we are trying to get is the commitment of the major players.     (1E24)

Peter reiterated his stated goals for the summit as described earlier     (1E25)

  • Pat suggested modifying the assumption/precept that "a common upper ontology is good" to "some common upper ontology is good"     (1E26)
  • the committee agreed to these goals (with the modification).     (1E27)

9) Other business     (1E28)

  • Agreed to continue to hold calls each week following the regular ontolog forum on Thursdays.     (1E29)
    • Steve will not be make the next (2005.12.15) call, though, as he will be on a plane at the time.     (1E29A)

10) Next meeting date and adjournment     (1E30)

  • call adjourned 2:02pm PST / 5:02pm EST     (1E31)
  • next call will be on Thu 2005-12-15 starting at 12:45 pm PST / 3:45pm EST (right after the Ontolog session (which should end around 12:30pm PST / 3:30pm EST)     (1E32)

minutes captured in real time on this wiki by Steve Ray / 2005.12.08-5:02pm EST     (1E34)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1E35)