From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2011: Getting Organized     (1)

This is a scratch workspace for the organization, coordination and planning of OntologySummit2011.     (1A)

Theme: Making the Case for Ontology     (1B)

6th in the series of a 3-month open annual event by and for the Ontology Community. This Summit is co-organized by Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD     (1B1)

ref. OntologySummit     (1B2)

Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee Meetings     (1B4)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.05.13     (1C)

Conference call details:     (1C1)

  • Note that the date of this meeting has been rescheduled (previously Fri 2011.04.29, now Fri 2011.05.13) based on the doodle poll input received.     (1C9)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1C10)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 0:51:11 ; mp3 ; 5.9 MB)     (1C10A)

  • Follow-up actions & programs:     (1C10H)
    • 1. write-up/document the Ontology Summit 2011 results [champion: Steve Ray, Michael Uschold, PeterYim]     (1C10H1)
    • 2. schedule further sessions on Ontolog Forum to feature the cases we missed ... and solicit more applications cases, and incorporate them into the framework we have already developed - making this a continuous effort [champion: Michael Uschold, PeterYim]     (1C10H2)
      • Guarino: we could even have a special issue of AOJ on these cases, however, the papers will need to delve into the ontology a lot more than what we have done so far     (1C10H2A)
      • Uschold: maybe the Ontology Usage Framework could provide what is needed in such documentation ... West: an earlier FOMI paper of mine did pretty much that.     (1C10H2B)
    • 3. make the collected work into a more "presentable" format and get the word out [champion: AliHashemi]     (1C10H3)

Transcript of the online chat during the session     (1C11)

see raw transcript here.     (1C11A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1C11B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1C11C)

-- begin of chat session --     (1C11D)

Peter P. Yim: = Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.05.13 =     (1C11E)

Peter P. Yim: see details at:     (1C11F)

anonymous morphed into Ali Hashemi     (1C11H)

anonymous morphed into Steve Ray     (1C11I)

Steve Ray: I suggest we add our comments here, so they are better captured.     (1C11J)

Steve Ray: I felt we were "on schedule" during the whole 3 months, without a mad rush at the end to     (1C11K)

synthesize ideas.     (1C11L)

Michael Uschold: People worked hard to link the tracks, cross referring to content in other tracks.     (1C11M)

Matthew West: Apologies for late arrival. I'm on the call now.     (1C11N)

Mike Bennett: @Peter - things we did not manage to fit in - e.g. there were a good few case studies     (1C11O)

we wanted, but the early sessions were too short notice for some of these, and we did not get a     (1C11P)

later slot which at the start we thought we would get. We needed to know a date well in advance on     (1C11Q)

which we could invite people to present, and we did not know if or when later dates would be, until     (1C11R)

too late.     (1C11S)

Steve Ray: One concern I have is that a lot of the great material residing in the track synthesis     (1C11T)

pages will be overlooked.     (1C11U)

Mike Bennett: So we should have carved out all of the dates at the outset.     (1C11V)

Ali Hashemi: To build on the point by Steve Ray above -- I think we can do more to present the outcome     (1C11W)

of the summit in a more accessible way     (1C11X)

Michael Uschold: We should follow up with some of the people that did not get a chance to present.     (1C11Y)

Additional case studies, for example.     (1C11Z)

Ali Hashemi: The current state is throwing a lot of text at people at once, and isn't the easiest     (1C11AA)

artefact to read and/or engage with.     (1C11AB)

Nicola Guarino: Concerning use cases, one problem emerged was that the ontologies used in these cases     (1C11AC)

are often not visible...     (1C11AD)

Michael Uschold: Further to @Nicola's comment, there also needs to be more details on exactly how the     (1C11AE)

ontology was used, the architecture, and the value.     (1C11AF)

Mike Bennett: @Nicola agreed. A lot of the case studies were a bit reticent about what was under the     (1C11AG)

hood - some of it was a bit proprietary. The ones we wanted to do later might have been less     (1C11AH)

Mike Bennett: A possible follow-up action is to go back to the folks who presented case studies, and     (1C11AJ)

get them to do a basic description against the framework (I did these by hand after, and it was a     (1C11AK)

bit vague in places).     (1C11AL)

Michael Uschold: I agrree with @MikeBennett     (1C11AM)

Mike Bennett: With the Wiki it would have been helpful to be able to put tables up on the wiki. Maybe     (1C11AN)

this is trivially easy and we just didn't get time to learn the code? I saw some tables from others,     (1C11AO)

but when I tried to look at the code, these were gifs.     (1C11AP)

Michael Uschold: I agree with @AliHashemi, the results are not easily accessed, not so readable.     (1C11AQ)

Needs to be different from the WIki, which was not designed for slick appearance. I often hesitate     (1C11AR)

to forward people to the site, for this reason.     (1C11AS)

Mike Bennett: @MichaelUschold +1 - it's a good place to get things done, and we all hae had a chance     (1C11AT)

to get used to it, but for presentation to others there are not enought visual cues to let the users     (1C11AU)

know where they are.     (1C11AV)

Ali Hashemi: @MichaelUschold +1 as well. It can be even used a CMS, to drive content to other sites.     (1C11AW)

Ali Hashemi: For layout, maybe something more along the lines of what the ACM is doing:     (1C11AX)

Peter P. Yim: [action] Peter to put link of Communique pdf at the top of that wiki page too     (1C11AZ)

Ali Hashemi: I shared a google document with you all regarding a (set of) documents targeted towards     (1C11AAA)

media outlets:     (1C11AAB)

Nicola Guarino: We can think of a series of papers for Applied Ontology each one picking up a few     (1C11AAE)

(more or less homogeneous) case studies, presenting and discussing them... We could appoint specific     (1C11AAF)

people for this task... Of course these papers should be properly reviewed... What do you think of     (1C11AAG)

Steve Ray: Second activity: Set up an ongoing collection of use-cases, build a sustainable activity     (1C11AAI)

Michael Uschold: Making the results more conveniently presented can either be done by a volunteer, or     (1C11AAJ)

we can find funds to pay a web developer, say to put something together that looks good.     (1C11AAK)

Steve Ray: Third activity: Redesign a more accessible presentation of results     (1C11AAL)

Steve Ray: ...where "results" means the entire body of knowledge     (1C11AAM)

Ali Hashemi: I'd be happy to volunteer for the 3rd activity     (1C11AAN)

Peter P. Yim: one more observation: our visibility on the blogosphere this year has actually been lower,     (1C11AAO)

compared to previous years     (1C11AAP)

Ali Hashemi: It could be as simple as each of us, or asking those on ontolog who do maintain blogs to     (1C11AAQ)

post about it?     (1C11AAR)

Michael Uschold: I did put my slide show up on     (1C11AAS)

Michael Uschold: I am interested in participating in an ongoing effort to gather use cases, improve     (1C11AAU)

the usage framework, etc.     (1C11AAV)

Ali Hashemi: Re MichaelUschold's point regarding paying a developer -- there is often a noticeable     (1C11AAW)

difference, especially in web design, between amateurs and people who really know what they're     (1C11AAX)

doing... Is there actually a possibility to fund the eventual design?     (1C11AAY)

Mike Bennett: I'm happy to help with case studies work, time permitting. time a bit tight over the     (1C11AAZ)

coming months though.     (1C11AAAA)

Michael Uschold: @Nicola, is the communique publishable as it is, as was done for the 2010     (1C11AAAB)

communique? OR does need a deeper presentation? or both?     (1C11AAAC)

Peter P. Yim: [action] Michael Uschold to formally submit the Communique (as is in the pdf) to AOJ     (1C11AAAD)

Michael Uschold: Agree with @MichaelGruninger that there needs to be clear guidelines for describing     (1C11AAAE)

use cases, especially for a journal publication. E.g. some details of the ontology itself, the     (1C11AAAF)

architecture of the system, where the ontology fits, the role of the ontology.     (1C11AAAG)

Michael Uschold: Maybe we can further develop the ontology usage framework, have it be required     (1C11AAAH)

metadata for submissions along these lines. We also need to write a paper that most perfectly does     (1C11AAAI)

the things we want, for others to emulate.     (1C11AAAJ)

Ali Hashemi: Perhaps also clarify different levels of detail at which the referred actual ontology     (1C11AAAL)

case study would have to be elaborated in a paper - building on the usage framework.     (1C11AAAM)

Matthew West: Here is the link to the paper (that aligns with MichaelUschold's suggestion of how     (1C11AAAN)

Mike Bennett: I'm going to have to drop off now (call at top of hour)     (1C11AAAP)

Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 8:06am PDT --     (1C11AAAQ)

-- end of chat session --     (1C11AAAR)

-- session ended: 2011.05.13-8:06am PDT --     (1C11AAAT)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.04.08     (1D)

Conference call details:     (1D1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 0:53:32 ; mp3 ; 6.17 MB)     (1D8A)

  • Opening & welcome     (1D8C)
    • this is likely our last organizing committee meeting before the Apr-18 & 19 OntologySummit2011_Symposium     (1D8C1)
    • this organizing committee will meet one more time shortly after the symposium to do a postmortem of this year's Summit - let's pick a date now: how about same time, Friday 2011.04.29 ... ?     (1D8C2)
    • we would want to do a similar session with the entire community (as we did previously too) - how about the following Thursday 2011.05.05 ...?     (1D8C3)
  • Next meeting - Fri 2011.04.29 - starting 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST / 3:00pm BST / 14:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1D8I)

-- session ended: 2011.04.08-8:00am PDT --     (1D8J)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.03.25     (1E)

Conference call details:     (1E1)

Summit Organizing Committee Members: please feel free to add your suggested agenda ideas below.     (1E8)

Please be cautious about the meeting time for this meeting, as some countries are moving into daylight saving time, and others aren't yet! Kindly double check on the world clock just to be sure! Thanks. =ppy     (1E9)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1E10)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:04:36 ; mp3 ; 7.40 MB)     (1E10A)

  • Registrations     (1E10D)
    • as of yesterday (Mar-24) 25 people have registered with NIST, to be coming to the symposium     (1E10D1)
    • [action] Steve will send out a reminder about symposium registration (Ram: please write to the speakers too)     (1E10D2)
  • Update from communique team     (1E10F)
    • John F. Sowa: the 'evidence' is the meat of it     (1E10F1)
    • ALL: we will do a communique as we did before     (1E10F2)
    • to do or not do an additional powerpoint to supplement the communique will be left to the Communique Lead Editing team [Steve will discuss with Communique team offline]     (1E10F3)
    • [action: Communique Leads & Steve] targeting to get table-of-content and section-writing assignment out (to the track champions, if any) by Wed Mar-30     (1E10F4)
  • Next meeting - Fri 2011.04.08 - starting 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST / 3:00pm BST / 14:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1E10H)

-- session ended: 2011.03.25-8:08am PDT --     (1E10I)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.03.11     (1F)

Conference call details:     (1F1)

Summit Organizing Committee Members: please feel free to add your suggested agenda ideas below.     (1F8)

Ref. Steve's 2011.02.28 post and subsequent conversations, this meeting has moved one hour earlier (compared to previous ones!)     (1F9)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1F10)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 0:50:04 ; mp3 ; 5.7 MB)     (1F10A)

  • Key items to be discussed:     (1F10G)
    • finalizing plans for the Mar-17 panel session [Guarino]     (1F10G1)
    • finalizing plans for the Mar-24 panel session [Sriram+Lucier+Dima]     (1F10G2)
    • getting prepared for the Mar-31 - (Panel-9) All Hands - synthesis and reports     (1F10G3)
      • Panelists - General-chairs (Ray), rep. from each track (Gruninger, Bennett, Schneider, West, Sriram), rep. from Communique lead editors (Uschold), 10 minutes brief from each ... then open discussion     (1F10G3A)
    • F2F Symposium planning and key personnel invitations [Sriram, Obrst; and Ray, Guarino, Strawn]     (1F10G4)
      • goals, keynote speakers, and other invitations     (1F10G4A)
      • F2F Symposium Announcement     (1F10G4B)
        • NIST registration page is now up ... like last year, NIST will handle the on-site participant registration (this is mandatory for access to a federal government facility), Peter will handle the remote participant registration.     (1F10G4B1)
        • Steve and Peter will get announcements out ASAP (as people who would need to book their flights one month in advance will only have a few days left to do it.)     (1F10G4B2)
        • KSU is sponsoring one of our coffee breaks     (1F10G4B3)
        • travel assistance confirmed for: Ray, Guarino, West, Brooks, Yim     (1F10G4B4)
    • deciding on a Communique Table-of-content, and the division of labor to contributing editors     (1F10G5)
      • Uschold: the lead-editing team will have their pow-wow, and then post a draft table-of-content, with contribution expectations     (1F10G5A)
    • contingency plan - in case the feds are shut down after Mar-18 (affecting the Mar-24 "Grand Challenge" panel, and the Apr-18+19 F2F)     (1F10G6)
  • Next meeting - Fri 2011.03.25 - starting 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 3:00pm CET / 2:00pm GMT / 14:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1F10K)
    • the rest of the organizing committee calls will be on this slot ... do note start time carefully, as some countries have gone into daylight saving time, and others have not!     (1F10K1)

-- session ended: 2011.03.11-7:55am PST --     (1F10L)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.02.25     (1G)

Conference call details:     (1G1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1G8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 2:18:12 ; mp3 ; 15.82 MB)     (1G8A)

  • Next meeting - Fri 2011.03.11 - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00pm EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT / 16:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1G8L)
    • the rest of the organizing committee calls will be on this slot     (1G8L1)

-- session ended: 2011.02.25-11:25am PST --     (1G8M)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.02.11     (1H)

Conference call details:     (1H1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1H8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:22:15 ; mp3 ; 9.4 MB)     (1H8A)

  • Assessment: how are we doing with respect to our Summit objectives and goals?     (1H8F)
    • Yim: Track moderated online discourse ... ?     (1H8F1)
    • Gruninger: unfortunate we did not having enough time for discussion during the Case Studies sessions     (1H8F2)
  • Next meeting - Fri 2011.02.25 - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00pm EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT / 16:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1H8N)
    • the rest of the organizing committee calls will be on this time slot     (1H8N1)
    • plenary organizing meeting every other week; sub-teams are encouraged to meet internally on Fridays when we don't have a plenary call.     (1H8N2)

-- session ended: 2011.02.11-9:31am PST --     (1H8O)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Fri 2011.01.28     (1I)

Conference call details:     (1I1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1I8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:16:36 ; mp3 ; 8.8 MB)     (1I8A)

  • Assessment: how are we doing with respect to our Summit objectives and goals?     (1I8E)
    • yesterday's session was good     (1I8E1)
    • metrics ... facts and figures     (1I8E2)
    • annecdotes coming in fine     (1I8E3)
    • still need most track champions to start discussion threads on the [ontology-summit] list     (1I8E4)
    • if people are running through cases, we will have to limit panelists presentations to 10 minutes or less ... have panelists supplement their work with links and mailing list discussions     (1I8E5)
  • Action items:     (1I8L)
    • Steve to notify Nicola ref. change in the "open" dates, and have Nicola try to tie down the EC-INFSO presentation date     (1I8L1)
    • Peter to get Steve access to maintaining the group calendar     (1I8L2)
  • Next meeting - Fri 2011.02.11 - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00pm EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT / 16:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1I8M)
    • Fri 2011.02.04 or 11 was not discussed during the call, but decision was subsequently made (ref. SteveRay's msg dd 2011.01.29-17:55) to only do the plenary organizing meeting every other week; hence next meeting will be on Fri 2011.02.11     (1I8M1)
    • the rest of the organizing committee calls will be on this slot     (1I8M2)

-- session ended: 2011.01.28-9:22am PST --     (1I8N)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Tue 2011.01.18     (1J)

Conference call details:     (1J1)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1J8)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:28:58 ; mp3 ; 10.2 MB)     (1J8A)

  • suggestions for Advisor invitations     (1J8K)
    • George Thomas (HHS) will possibly be getting involved (on invitation by GeorgeStrawn) - the extent of his involvement will be confirmed shortly     (1J8K1)
  • Next meeting - Fri 2011.01.28 - starting 8:00am PST / 11:00pm EST / 5:00pm CET / 4:00pm GMT / 16:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1J8M)
    • the rest of the organizing committee calls will be on this slot     (1J8M1)

-- session ended: 2011.01.18-11:36am PST --     (1J8N)


Ontology Summit 2011 Organizing Committee conference call - Tue 2011.01.11     (1K)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1K9)

[ Audio Archive of the meeting ] ( 1:28:30 ; mp3 ; 10.2 MB)     (1K9A)

  • Appointments: organizing committee members; track/sub-track champions; communique lead co-editors (nominations, at least) - partially discussed; will continue at the next meeting     (1K9G)
  • Discussion on the Thu 2010.01.20 OntologySummit2011 Launch Event - agenda, presentations, expectations, what can be announced (especially in terms of event scheduling.) ... will need to cover this on the mailing list, and at the next call     (1K9I)
  • Input, thoughts and discussion on candidate Advisory Committee members     (1K9J)
  • Next meeting - (same time next Tuesday) Tue 2011.01.18 - starting 10:00am PST / 1:00pm EST / 7:00pm CET / 6:00pm GMT / 18:00 UTC (ref. world clock)     (1K9K)
    • will try to fix weekly (or bi-weekly time) meeting time at the next call- Peter will do a doodle poll in the mean time     (1K9K1)
    • possible alternating weekly meetings for whole-organizing-committee & track-subtrack champion meetings (separate meeting for different tracks)     (1K9K2)

-- session ended: 2011.01.11-11:35am PST --     (1K9L)



This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1K9M)