From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2013_05_21     (1)

This is a regular monthly OOR Team meeting. This is the first time we resume our regular OOR meetings, after pausing and diverting the OOR team's effort to support Ontology Summit 2013 (which has since concluded.) We will pick up from where we left off with the regular team meeting agenda and other proposed agenda items.     (1A)

  • Dial-in:     (1B4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1B4A)
    • Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1B4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1B4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1B4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1B4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1B4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1B4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1B4B3B)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1B5)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1B5A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1B5B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1B5C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1B5D)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1B6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1B6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) oor_20130521@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1B6C)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1B7)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1B7A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1B7B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the [ slides] (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1B7C)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1B9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1B11)

Attendees     (1C)

  • Expecting:     (1C2)
    • (please add yourself to the list above if you are a member of the community, or, rsvp to <peter.yim@cim3.com> with the event title/date and your name and affiliation)     (1C3A)

Agenda Ideas     (1C5)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1D)

1. Meeting called to order:     (1D4)

2. Roll Call:     (1D9)

3. Key discussion:     (1D12)

  • 3.3 discussion and confirmation: support to TillMossakowski's OntoLATIN proposal - with OOR as a "cooperation partner"     (1D15)

most of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses ...     (1D20)

4. Prior Discussions:     (1D21)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months     (1D22)

... to provide synergies for all.     (1D24)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like     (1D25)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D26)

  • (discussion 2011.05.06):     (1D27)
    • an adopted Architecture & API is definitely crucial, but that's not all     (1D27A)
  • All team members are encouraged to mull over how we can get to that state effectively     (1D28)
    • in particular ... how do we make this a "successful" community-driven, open source project!?     (1D28A)
  • (discussion 2011.08.07) ...     (1D29)
    • ref. IAOA Committee and SIG session at FOIS (2012.07.25) discussion:     (1D29A)
      • IAOA Ontology Registry and Repository Committee to put focus on contents     (1D29A1)
      • getting FOIS papers to be submitted with cited ontologies and their metadata, and have those ontologies hosted on OOR     (1D29A2)
  • 4.6 Getting us to a stage when we can run a OOR-production box ... (deferred discussion of this item)     (1D33)
    • we need a gatekeeping/policy module in place - [KenBaclawski]     (1D33A)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session     (1E)

see raw transcript here.     (1E1)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1E2)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1E3)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1E4)

[8:33] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1E5)

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Tue 2013_05_21     (1E6)

proceedings:     (1E10)

[8:39] Peter P. Yim: == please post your thoughts: retrospect (from the OOR vantage point) - supporting     (1E11)

[8:40] Michael Grüninger: the use of hackathons as a way of spurring progress on the implementation side     (1E13)

[8:41] Mike Bennett: Valuable findings on ontology assessment tools and methodology - wonder how this     (1E14)

would fit in with OOR e.g. gatekeeping, formal process?     (1E15)

[8:41] Peter P. Yim: generally it was great! ... the Hackathon gave us an opportunity to get down to do     (1E16)

some (way overdue) real work ...     (1E17)

[8:41] Till Mossakowski: It was great to discuss the OOR API at HC-07 with Ken and Peter. We have     (1E18)

made significant progress.     (1E19)

[8:41] Ken Baclawski: The hackathon was a great advance. We should repeat it.     (1E20)

[8:42] Mike Bennett: Some valuable thoughts on use of upper ontologies, considerations around     (1E21)

different partitions / ontological commitments, came out of some of the Track C presentations, which     (1E22)

I think are relevant to OOR in terms of how ontologies may or may not relate to one another.     (1E23)

[8:42] Peter P. Yim: ... we didn't have a chance to incorporate OOPS! as a service for the OOR-sandbox;     (1E24)

I think we should still do it ... hopefully, with the "new" API that was agreed upon during the Hackathon     (1E25)

[8:43] Bob Smith: The next major advance in the National Building Information Modeling Standard,     (1E26)

likely 2016 time frame, may be distributed BIM models. Current concerns with low trustworthiness     (1E27)

makes any significant industry and gov't participation for funding questionable UNLESS there are     (1E28)

built in Quality Evaluation methods, metrics, and "enforcements". SO the hackathons were most useful     (1E29)

[8:44] Peter P. Yim: Michael: think "OOR Hackathon"     (1E30)

[8:45] Bob Smith: I'm also fascinated with the potentials of FIBO and Industry Specific Ontology     (1E31)

Frameworks in general - especially as Buildings within Cities require Funding and PPP Contractual     (1E32)

alignments with infrastructure threats...     (1E33)

[8:48] Bob Smith: Amanda's approach to Hackathon design - using the graphic tools within Google Docs     (1E34)

to express specific models with annotation was especially helpful to me...     (1E35)

[8:49] Peter P. Yim: Mike Bennett: community would benefit from a more extensive presentation of what     (1E36)

transpired from the FIBO Ontology Evaluation Clinic ... and formalizing that process would be good too     (1E37)

[8:50] Peter P. Yim: maybe we could consider fitting regular "hackathon" work sessions into our monthly     (1E38)

OOR meeting routines     (1E39)

[8:52] Mike Bennett: Ontology based standards hackathon - a great idea!     (1E40)

[8:55] Ken Baclawski: Each hackathon should have specific objectives/deliverables that can be     (1E41)

accomplished in the hackathon period. MikeBennett's suggestions are examples of such objectives.     (1E42)

[9:01] Bob Smith: Asking SemTech leaders to carve out a day or two do emulate what David Newman at     (1E43)

Wells Fargo and Dennis Wisnosky are doing to engage the finance/banking sector folks in details of     (1E44)

the FIBO project (Financial Industry Business Object)     (1E45)

[9:04] Mike Bennett: Yes - David Newman and Dennis Wisnosky have pulled this event together, in     (1E46)

co-ordination with Eric Franzon at SemTechBizSF. I agree that a more industry-wide, maybe     (1E47)

standards-focused session headed up by OOR the following year would a good follow-on from this.     (1E48)

[9:00] Peter P. Yim: == discussion and confirmation: support to TillMossakowski's OntoLATIN proposal -     (1E50)

with OOR as a "cooperation partner"     (1E51)

[9:08] Peter P. Yim: [consensus] unanimously agreed to provide Till and the OntoLATIN proposal with a     (1E52)

support letter ... (MikeDean & I will try to get that done today or tomorrow)     (1E53)

[9:15] Peter P. Yim: == OOR session/program/event planning     (1E54)

[9:16] Peter P. Yim: (only tangentially related to OOR, but very much an OntologyBasedStandards     (1E55)

activity) I am planning to call a meeting about reviving the QUOMOS work on Thu 2013.05.30     (1E56)

[9:21] Michael Grüninger: possible workshop on using FIBO as a set of test cases for exploring the     (1E57)

ontology relationships that we need to capture in OOR and the application of approaches such as DOL     (1E58)

as a way of specifying these relationships     (1E59)

[9:27] Michael Grüninger: Metadata for FIBO and Related Ontologies     (1E60)

[9:27] Peter P. Yim: Metadata series - "Ontology Metadata for FIBO and related Ontologies"     (1E61)

- Tue 2013.07.02 - co-chair: Michael Grüninger & Mike Bennett     (1E62)

[9:31] Peter P. Yim: Till Mossakowski and Ken Baclawski will start to co-champion a "hackathon" series -     (1E64)

with monthly activities ... they'll pick the 3rd Tuesday of every month (the first Tuesdays of each     (1E65)

month have been nominally slated for OOR Team planning & admin meetings)     (1E66)

[9:32] Peter P. Yim: Hackathon series - "OOR-Ontohub API" - co-chair: Till Mossakowski & Ken Baclawski -     (1E67)

Tue 2013.06.18 ... Gateekeper will be on the agenda of this session too     (1E68)

[9:35] Peter P. Yim: Strategy series - "Revisiting OOR Strategy & Tactics" - chair: Peter P. Yim & MikeDean(?)     (1E69)

- Tue 2013.05.28 (originally 2013.06.25, but now moved earlier)     (1E70)

[9:36] Peter P. Yim: == Status Review - ref.     (1E71)

[9:53] Peter P. Yim: (on the side ... more later, but this will be exciting!) I'm working on a GUI with     (1E73)

liquid.info ...     (1E74)

[9:54] Peter P. Yim: this GUI can be very effective with URIs that has the term at the end... like:     (1E75)

[9:55] Michael Grüninger: COLORE is being reorganized to eliminate the distinction between core and     (1E77)

complex hierarchies. The new organization will mean that each directory corresponds to a unique     (1E78)

hierarchy, and all verification directories are included within the hierarchy. All ontologies will     (1E79)

[9:54] Till Mossakowski: sorry, I have to leave now     (1E81)

[9:54] Peter P. Yim: Thanks, Till ... Bye ... I'll contact you off-line ref. the "letter of support"     (1E82)

[10:05] Peter P. Yim: == fixing the regular time: [consensus] best comprise - same time as today's call     (1E83)

-1.5Hr starting 11:30am EDT ...     (1E84)

[10:07] Peter P. Yim: moving "Strategy & Tactics" meeting up from Tue 2013.06.25 to 2013.05.28 ... see     (1E85)

you all all next week, same time!     (1E86)

[10:13] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 10:07am PDT --     (1E87)

-- end in-session chat-transcript --     (1E88)

6. (Other) Action items:     (1E89)

7. Any Other Business:     (1E91)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:     (1E93)

  • Next Meetings:     (1E94)
    • same time next Tuesday (on Strategy & Tactics), i.e. Tue 2013_05_28 - 8:30am PDT / 11:30am EDT / 5:30pm CEST / 4:30pm BST / 15:30 UTC     (1E94A)
    • ... after that, we might pause for 2 weeks (there are two FIBO meetings and a CLv2 meeting in between)     (1E94B)
    • then the next meeting, possibly: Tue 2013.06.18, 2013.06.25, 2013.07.02, etc.     (1E94C)
    • ... please mark your calendars and come!     (1E94D)

notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2013.05.21-17:03 PDT     (1E97)

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.     (1E98)


Resources     (1F)

  • the Joint IAOA-OOR-Ontolog "Ontologies and Standards" mini-series:     (1F17)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1F26)