From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]
    (1)
Session Planning
Duration 1.5 hour90 minute
5,400 second
0.0625 day
Date/Time Nov 08 2017 17:00 GMT
9:00am PST/12:00pm EST
5:00pm GMT/6:00pm CET
Convener KenBaclawski

Contents

Ontology Summit 2018 Final Planning Session     (2)

Agenda     (2A)

In this session, any remaining planning for the summit will be completed.     (2A1)

Note that both the US and Europe are now on standard time.     (2A2)

Proposed Summit Organization     (2B)

  1. Domain specific needs for context     (2B1A)
    • Medical decision making as a context for ontologies. Co-Champions: David Whitten and Ravi Sharma    (2B1A1)
    • System engineering and realization as a context for ontologies. Co-Champions: Janet Singer and Jack Ring    (2B1A2)
  2. Upper ontologies for specifying context. Co-Champions: Mike Bennett and David Whitten     (2B1B)
  3. Contexts in the Open Knowledge Network. Co-Champions: Ram Sriram and Gary Berg-Cross     (2B1C)
  4. Contexts for Integration and Interoperability Co-Champions: Cory Casanave assisted by Ravi Sharma     (2B1D)

Schedule     (2B2)

    (2B2A)
Ontologies and Contexts: Need for harmonization of diverse semantics/conceptualizations
DateTrackSessionChampions
1/17IntroductionJohn Sowa
1/24Domain specific needs for context1David Whitten and Ravi Sharma
1/31Domain specific needs for context2David Whitten and Ravi Sharma
2/7Upper ontologies for specifying context1Mike Bennett and David Whitten
2/14Contexts in the Open Knowledge Network1Ram Sriram and Gary Berg-Cross
2/21Contexts for Integration and Interoperability 1Cory assisted by Ravi
2/28Synthesis Session1
3/7The challenge of harmonizing diverse conceptualizations in systems engineering and realization3Janet Singer and Jack Ring
3/14Upper ontologies for specifying context2Mike Bennett and David Whitten
3/21Contexts for Integration and Interoperability 2Cory Casanave assisted by Ravi Sharma
3/28Contexts in the Open Knowledge Network2Ram Sriram and Gary Berg-Cross
4/4Synthesis Session2
4/11Communique Session1
4/18Communique Session2

Conference Call Information     (2C)

    • Instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (2C5A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (2C5B)
  • This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page.     (2C6)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (2C7)

Attendees     (2D)

Proceedings     (2E)

[12:08] ToddSchneider: Ontologies as/in/of Context     (2E1)

[12:08] KenBaclawski: Summit title proposals: Ontologies and Context     (2E2)

[12:08] David Whitten: Ontologies <insert proposition> Context     (2E3)

[12:09] ToddSchneider: How about just 'Ontologies and Context'     (2E4)

[12:09] David Whitten: Ontologies vis-a-vis Context     (2E5)

[12:09] David Whitten: Ontologies versus Context     (2E6)

[12:10] David Whitten: Ontologies and/or Contexts     (2E7)

[12:10] KenBaclawski: Motion: Title is "Ontologies and Context"     (2E8)

[12:11] David Whitten: Onto <context> logies     (2E9)

[12:11] MikeBennett: +1     (2E10)

[12:12] DouglasRMiles: What is wrong with Ontology Summit?     (2E11)

[12:12] AndreaWesterinen: The specifics are in the tracks, and the title is more over-arching.     (2E12)

[12:13] David Whitten: Ontologies have contexts     (2E13)

[12:13] KenBaclawski: Amendment: "Ontologies and Context: <subtitle>"     (2E14)

[12:13] DouglasRMiles: Since everyone has their own idea of context .. does that mean everyone will think something different?     (2E15)

[12:14] KenBaclawski: @DouglasRMiles: Pat Hayes gave 3 notions of context.     (2E16)

[12:14] KenBaclawski: Motion carries.     (2E17)

[12:15] DouglasRMiles: :)     (2E18)

[12:16] JackRing: Context is revealed by its ontology.     (2E19)

[12:16] KenBaclawski: Schedule:     (2E20)

[12:17] RaviSharma: JackRing - you mean it is embedded in the Ontology or it is a separate ontology?     (2E34)

[12:18] KenBaclawski:     (2E35)

                             2018
       January               February               March          
 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  
     1  2  3  4  5  6               1  2  3               1  2  3  
  7  8  9 10 11 12 13   4  5  6  7  8  9 10   4  5  6  7  8  9 10  
 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  11 12 13 14 15 16 17  11 12 13 14 15 16 17  
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  18 19 20 21 22 23 24  18 19 20 21 22 23 24  
 28 29 30 31           25 26 27 28           25 26 27 28 29 30 31  
                                                                   
 
        April                  May                   June          
 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7         1  2  3  4  5                  1  2  
  8  9 10 11 12 13 14   6  7  8  9 10 11 12   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  13 14 15 16 17 18 19  10 11 12 13 14 15 16  
 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  20 21 22 23 24 25 26  17 18 19 20 21 22 23  
 29 30                 27 28 29 30 31        24 25 26 27 28 29 30  

[12:18] JackRing: A new group is investigating Laws and Ontology as the way to unscramble the mess that our body of laws has evolved     (2E36)

[12:21] Gary Berg-Cross: Synthesis will be little different since we don't have tracks that have 2 sessions.     (2E37)

[12:32] RaviSharma: Ram requested 3 dates April 23-24, April 30th May 1, 7 and 8th May     (2E38)

[12:32] RaviSharma: to locate the rooms etc.     (2E39)

[12:33] janet singer: Just noticed that May 7-9 is the Conference on Systems Engineering Research in on the topic 'Systems in Context' https://cser2018.com     (2E40)

[12:34] RaviSharma: janet where is it?     (2E41)

[12:34] janet singer: In Charlottesville     (2E42)

[12:39] RaviSharma: Ram will explore Washington Acad of Sciences, or NITRD or NIST     (2E43)

[12:40] Gary Berg-Cross:     (2E44)

Domain specific needs for context (Problem POV) Track with 2 sessions, potentially (but not limited to):     (2E45)

System realization as a context for ontologies: Need for harmonization of diverse semantics/conceptualizations (Problem POV)     (2E46)

Medical decision making as a context for ontologies (Problem POV)     (2E47)

Microtheory vs upper ontology (Solution POV)     (2E48)

Deductive contexts (Solution POV)     (2E49)

Linguistic contexts (Problem POV)     (2E50)

Contexts in the Open Knowledge Network (Solution POV)     (2E51)

Contexts in the Pragmatic Web (Solution POV)     (2E52)

Contexts for Integration and Interoperability Upper ontologies for specifying context (Solution POV)     (2E53)

[12:40] JackRing: Systems Science, Systems Realization, Lawmaking, healthcare, human dialog, Machine-aided dialog     (2E54)

[12:42] AndreaWesterinen: Is that domain-specific needs for context?     (2E55)

[12:43] RaviSharma: Jack ring described areas for context in ontology     (2E56)

[12:50] RaviSharma: Todd said Dave McCallum has lot of slides about topic (?)     (2E57)

[12:51] RaviSharma: Ken Recording is not ON     (2E58)

[12:52] ToddSchneider: Dave McComb of Semantic Arts has many slides on the value of using ontologies (vs. other technologies).     (2E59)

[12:58] RaviSharma: Ram said - Ravi the focus is to discuss context in established healthcare ontologies.     (2E60)

[12:58] Gary Berg-Cross: One thing on the schedule. You seem to have a start with an Intro by John. Last year we had 2 sessions - 22 Feb 2017 - Launch and 1 Mar 2017 - Overview     (2E61)

Added by KenBaclawski: We discussed this at an earlier planning meeting, and decided to merge the two.     (2E62)

[13:01] Cory Casanave: While I think there are too many tracks, I would most resonate with: Contexts for Integration and Interoperability.     (2E63)

[13:03] ToddSchneider: Sorry, have to go. Cheers.     (2E64)

[13:06] RaviSharma: Ravi agreed to work with Cory on integration and interoperability     (2E65)

[13:07] RaviSharma: Janet mentioned John's reference to Guha on microtheories or Cyc related work?     (2E66)

[13:10] Gary Berg-Cross: John and I each suggested Michael Witbrock as a good person for Microtheories, he now is with IBM/Watson ... he used to be a Cyclist.     (2E67)

[13:11] Andrew Dougherty: I am interested in NLU/NLG but am a neophyte and probably can't make it to the conference.     (2E68)

[13:12] Gary Berg-Cross: I agree that if we are trying to take on this topic the language aspect is important.     (2E69)

[13:13] RaviSharma: Ram and Gary will talk on OKN and linguistics and also ties into integration and interoperability.     (2E70)

[13:15] RaviSharma: Ram- OKN aim is also to build tuples in domains.     (2E71)

[13:17] Gary Berg-Cross: Relevant to the OKN topic: Knowledge Graph Construction From Text, Jay Pujara, Sameer Singh, Bhavana Dalvi     (2E72)

With the proliferation of large collections of unstructured text, the problem of extracting structured knowledge and integrating it into a coherent knowledge graph has become increasingly important. Applications that rely on structured knowledge representations include digital assistants (Siri, Alexa, Cortana, and Google Now), question answering, summarization, and as well as many downstream autonomous decision-making. Due to its importance, this area has been an active area of research spanning areas of natural language processing, information extraction, information integration, databases, search, and machine learning.     (2E73)

Our goal is to present an accessible and structured overview of the existing approaches to extracting candidate facts from text and incorporating these into a well-formed knowledge graph. Our approach includes identifying the common themes and challenges in the area, and comparing and contrasting the existing approaches on the basis of these aspects. We believe such a unifying framework will provide the necessary tools and perspectives to enable the newcomers to the field to explore, evaluate, and develop novel techniques for automated knowledge graph construction.     (2E74)

[13:22] Gary Berg-Cross: Apparently people can't hear me although I have tried to make some points along the way.     (2E75)

[13:23] David Whitten: Gary, would you like to make your points on the chat? That way they must be addressed as they are in writing.     (2E76)

[13:23] Gary Berg-Cross: I will ask Michael Witbrock if he has something to say on context as part of the OKN session (Feb. 7?)     (2E77)

[13:25] DouglasRMiles: Michael Witbrock on Microtheories ?     (2E78)

[13:25] RaviSharma: Ram - Not only vocabulary overlap among these tuples for domains in OKN but also interoperation among OKN ontologies would make Context very central for OKN and our proposed speakers.     (2E79)

[13:27] Gary Berg-Cross: Ken, have you turned my audio off from your end? I can't seem to be heard.     (2E80)

Added by KenBaclawski: I did not turn anyone's audio off during this session.     (2E81)

[13:30] David Whitten: Gary, are you dialed into the telephone number? I haven't seen your name on the Blue Jeans screen.     (2E82)

[13:31] Gary Berg-Cross: March 21, 2018 2nd OKM session is not good for me I am at the RDA Plenary "From Data to Knowledge" in Berlin that week.     (2E83)

[13:32] Gary Berg-Cross: @Dave, I am logged in as Gary. I have reloaded and login in several times to see if I could solve the problem.     (2E84)

Added by KenBaclawski: I had the same problem when I started the session. I switched to a different computer and browser. There is only one remaining session this year, so I will continue to use BlueJeans, but I will consider switching to another video conference system for the main Summit next year.     (2E85)

[13:33] Gary Berg-Cross: I think that it would be good to have a panel with some people from these track topics to start off.     (2E86)

Added by KenBaclawski: Yes, that is what the Intro session will consist of.     (2E87)

[13:40] Ken Baclawski: Schedule:     (2E88)

1/17 Introduction John Sowa     (2E89)

1/24 1/31 3/7 Domain specific needs for context (Problem POV) Track with 3 sessions, potentially (but not limited to) the following:     (2E90)

Medical decision making as a context for ontologies (Problem POV) David Whitten and Ravi Sharma     (2E91)

System realization as a context for ontologies: Need for harmonization of diverse semantics/conceptualizations (Problem POV) Janet Singer and Jack Ring     (2E92)

2/7 3/14 Upper ontologies for specifying context with 2 sessions (Solution POV) Mike Bennett and David Whitten     (2E93)

Microtheory vs upper ontology (Solution POV) part of Upper ontologies track     (2E94)

Deductive, Abductive and Inductive contexts (Solution POV)     (2E95)

2/14 3/21 Contexts in the Open Knowledge Network with 2 sessions (Solution POV) Ram Sriram and Gary Berg-Cross     (2E96)

Linguistic contexts (Problem POV)     (2E97)

2/21 3/28 Contexts for Integration and Interoperability with 2 sessions (Problem POV) Cory assisted by Ravi     (2E98)

2/28 Synthesis Session 1     (2E99)

4/4 Synthesis Session 2     (2E100)

4/11 Communique Session 1     (2E101)

4/18 Communique Session 2     (2E102)

[13:41] JackRing: Re: 2/7 the word should be adduce or adductive, no ab-     (2E103)

[13:42] Ken Baclawski: Schedule:     (2E104)

Ontologies and Contexts: Need for harmonization of diverse semantics/conceptualizations     (2E105)

1/17 Introduction John Sowa     (2E106)

1/24 1/31 3/7 Domain specific needs for context (Problem POV) Track with 3 sessions, potentially (but not limited to) the following:     (2E107)

Medical decision making as a context for ontologies (Problem POV) David Whitten and Ravi Sharma     (2E108)

System engineering and realization as a context for ontologies (Problem POV) Janet Singer and Jack Ring     (2E109)

2/7 3/14 Upper ontologies for specifying context with 2 sessions (Solution POV) Mike Bennett and David Whitten     (2E110)

Microtheory vs upper ontology (Solution POV) part of Upper ontologies track     (2E111)

Deductive, Abductive and Inductive contexts (Solution POV)     (2E112)

2/14 3/28 Contexts in the Open Knowledge Network with 2 sessions (Solution POV) Ram Sriram and Gary Berg-Cross     (2E113)

Linguistic contexts (Problem POV)     (2E114)

2/21 3/21 Contexts for Integration and Interoperability with 2 sessions (Problem POV) Cory assisted by Ravi     (2E115)

2/28 Synthesis Session 1     (2E116)

4/4 Synthesis Session 2     (2E117)

4/11 Communique Session 1     (2E118)

4/18 Communique Session 2     (2E119)

[13:43] David Whitten: Hmm. Jack Ring, I have always seen the word "abductive" not "adductive".     (2E120)

[13:43] Gary Berg-Cross: Again, will the Intro session include a panel since we have such diverse topics??     (2E121)

Added by KenBaclawski: Yes, that is what the Intro session will consist of.     (2E122)

[13:43] David Whitten: I think adding "analogical" would give the maximum flexibility.     (2E123)

[13:43] RaviSharma: need abstract said Ram.     (2E124)

[13:44] RaviSharma: Mike - we need effort at it.     (2E125)

[13:46] David Whitten: Jack asks is the purpose of the summit to harmonize ontologists, or to educate potential adopters.     (2E126)

[13:46] janet singer: I think John would prefer abductive since he will use that in his introduction citing CS Peirce     (2E127)

[13:50] David Whitten: I think you are right Janet.     (2E128)

[14:02] David Whitten: Greetings and salutations Ccx. Do you have an opinion on how microtheories interact with Contexts ?     (2E129)

[14:23] Ccx: I have very few opinions on things so "high-level". I'm more into finding as simple and domain-specific solutions to problems as possible. But it so happens that sometimes having good logical base for things is beneficial, so I do try to look into that.     (2E130)

Resources     (2F)

Previous Meetings     (2G)


Next Meetings     (2H)